Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dwarf Fortress even Newer Release !!!

Destroid

Arcane
Anyone know if DF can utilise dual core? I find that after my fortress reaches a certain size it starts to slowdown somewhat and my cpu is running 100% :( (AMD 3000+)

Oarfish

Prophet
Not yet, I remember it being discussed though. Retrofitting concurrency to applications is a bitch.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Re: The Dwarf Fortress New Release Anticipation thread!

Mayday said:
ATTENTION ALL DICKHEADS!
I'm currently negotiating with a proffesional sprite creator about an isometric graphics set for DF. Here's his work: http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/show/
If you find the dwarf icons unreadable, I'm also working on my own set: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/all15.jpg
Hopefully, if isotiles are not an option, we will at least be able to use a 32pixel tileset.
[/quote]

Okay, just how far has this tileset project progressed? I feel the urge to play the game now with that amazing isometric-like tileset. Knocking enemies unconscious and making them vomit will be even more fun.

Mayday

Augur
Re: The Dwarf Fortress New Release Anticipation thread!

JarlFrank said:
Okay, just how far has this tileset project progressed? I feel the urge to play the game now with that amazing isometric-like tileset. Knocking enemies unconscious and making them vomit will be even more fun.

It's just started. Here's the schedule:
1)Hans finishes an underground mockup (in progress)
2)we run a few threads with requests for opinions and suggestions
3)we do the suggested improvements
4)We post the refined versions and run polls (do you think it's better than ASCII, would you donate for it etc.)
5) we present the mockups and poll results to Toady and he decides wheter it's worth working on implementing them (this may take quite some time- a few months even!)

Dmitron

Arbiter
Finally! :D I've been visiting the dev pages obsessively since January..

Mayday

Augur
abstract said:
What about adventure mode? Will it still be a fun, but generally pointless side attraction to the fortress mode?

"-Obviously, world design is now 3D.

-Town layout is much more random than it used to be. There doesn't appear to be a "main road" anymore, at least there wasn't in the town I saw. Also, there's some creative use of three dimensions, such as buildings built into the side of hills so you can walk on their roofs.

-A new "swimmer" ability is available to your starting adventurer, although I've yet to find any water that's swimmable.

-You can now...dun dun duuuuuun...walk BETWEEN SQUARES on the map without traveling! I don't know if the entire world is continuous, but it would seem so. The downside of this is that it can make it much harder to find things now. If you're looking for a cave, you could very well walk all the way into the next square looking for it (as I did).

-Speaking of, there must be some trick to knowing where the cave's been placed in a particular square, but I don't quite get it.

-Caves are now much, much cooler. They can be made out of different types of stone (I found one made of clay, so the inside was blood-red). They also have much larger entrances (probably to distinguish them from regular slopes). The interior layout has also been changed up. The cave I played didn't have a large starting room but rather a fairly straight path from the start to some branches farther in (which, to be honest, feels more like how a cave should be laid out).

-Damage in general seems to have been given slight tweaks to make your characters a bit stronger vs. the monsters you'll encounter. I managed to take out a giant my first try and, while I sustained some damage, it was no longer the five minute "the shot glances away"-fest it usually is.

-While leaving the cave, my party was attacked by a CAVE SWALLOWMAN. I didn't see it myself, and it got taken out in one or two turns, but I must say I'm intrigued."

Hahaha, I just started my new fortress- near a river. Those idiots are on top of the cliff, while the river is down in the valleey. Shit!

Mayday

Augur
Ohhh fuck.
The Z-axis makes it reaaaaally hard to get a good grasp of the situation.

We're gonna need that iso display.

Nedrah

Erudite
I only fear that someone like toady, someone who programs a game like DF in his spare time, might still consider things to be fairly non-complicated and therefore might see no need for better graphics, yet. Oh well.

However, I got the new version installed and I'd like to install one of those tilesets already in existance. Can you recommend me a good one? Also, there's something about raw files which need to be updated apparently, but people don't seem to have had time to do that, yet - so will I be able to use tiles now?

Mayday

Augur
The tilesets are now incomplete- you will get many weird results. I'm remaking the creatures tileset right now to fit the new version- but it will take a few days :/

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DWARFFORTRESS2.jpg

Now this was a freaking funny death.
I got my head smashed in and still managed to do a counterstrike.

Virtz

Educated
Mayday said:
-A new "swimmer" ability is available to your starting adventurer, although I've yet to find any water that's swimmable.

Actually, you can swim anywhere. You just have to walk over things while holding Alt ("careful walk"). Although I've yet to figure out how to dive using </>. Just don't try walking into that semi-transparent cyan tile - that's most likely a big fall.

Nedrah

Erudite
Erh, I suppose those would not really work from what was being said earlier?
If those tiles actually do work without much funkynes, I second the request.

Mayday

Augur
It's a collaboration between Herrbdog, Guybrush and me (Herrb made most of it).
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/ ... b16x16.bmp
Be warned- it messes with the interface a little bit- but yes, it works for now.
As for the creature tileset- you'll have to wait, but here's how it looks for now:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/ ... F/tileset/
(built on top of DR's tiles- the dwarves are mine).

You'll probably also want to use these colours:
[BLACK_R]
[BLACK_G]
[BLACK_B]
[BLUE_R]
[BLUE_G]
[BLUE_B]
[GREEN_R]
[GREEN_G]
[GREEN_B]
[CYAN_R]
[CYAN_G]
[CYAN_B]
[RED_R]
[RED_G]
[RED_B]
[MAGENTA_R]
[MAGENTA_G]
[MAGENTA_B]
[BROWN_R]
[BROWN_G]
[BROWN_B]
[LGRAY_R]
[LGRAY_G]
[LGRAY_B]
[DGRAY_R]
[DGRAY_G]
[DGRAY_B]
[LBLUE_R]
[LBLUE_G]
[LBLUE_B]
[LGREEN_R]
[LGREEN_G]
[LGREEN_B]
[LCYAN_R]
[LCYAN_G]
[LCYAN_B]
[LRED_R]
[LRED_G]
[LRED_B]
[LMAGENTA_R]
[LMAGENTA_G]
[LMAGENTA_B]
[YELLOW_R]
[YELLOW_G]
[YELLOW_B]
[WHITE_R]
[WHITE_G]
[WHITE_B]

Oarfish

Prophet
Its a bit more like SimMoria, things are much more freeform. Soon to be SimMiddleEarth the way toady is going, its a very deep simulation - much more ambitious than any commercial game that I can think of.

Nedrah

Erudite
Mayday said:
It's a collaboration between Herrbdog, Guybrush and me (Herrb made most of it).
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/ ... b16x16.bmp
Be warned- it messes with the interface a little bit- but yes, it works for now.
As for the creature tileset- you'll have to wait, but here's how it looks for now:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/ ... F/tileset/
(built on top of DR's tiles- the dwarves are mine).

You'll probably also want to use these colours:
[BLACK_R]
[BLACK_G]
[BLACK_B]
[BLUE_R]
[BLUE_G]
[BLUE_B]
[GREEN_R]
[GREEN_G]
[GREEN_B]
[CYAN_R]
[CYAN_G]
[CYAN_B]
[RED_R]
[RED_G]
[RED_B]
[MAGENTA_R]
[MAGENTA_G]
[MAGENTA_B]
[BROWN_R]
[BROWN_G]
[BROWN_B]
[LGRAY_R]
[LGRAY_G]
[LGRAY_B]
[DGRAY_R]
[DGRAY_G]
[DGRAY_B]
[LBLUE_R]
[LBLUE_G]
[LBLUE_B]
[LGREEN_R]
[LGREEN_G]
[LGREEN_B]
[LCYAN_R]
[LCYAN_G]
[LCYAN_B]
[LRED_R]
[LRED_G]
[LRED_B]
[LMAGENTA_R]
[LMAGENTA_G]
[LMAGENTA_B]
[YELLOW_R]
[YELLOW_G]
[YELLOW_B]
[WHITE_R]
[WHITE_G]
[WHITE_B]

Erm, could you give me kind of a step by step description of what to do to get the game to look as close as possible to your screen? I tried doing it by myself, which ended with the game only giving me a blackscreen on startup.

I checked those examples, great job! :)

Mayday

Augur
Elwro said:
Seems that Staszic deserves its reputation of a first-class school.

;) One thing I know for sure is that I'm very glad I went there.

Erm, could you give me kind of a step by step description of what to do to get the game to look as close as possible to your screen? I tried doing it by myself, which ended with the game only giving me a blackscreen on startup.

Ok... first off, you place the contents of the "tileset" folder in DF\raw\graphics

Then, you place the gb16x16.bmp in DF\data\art

Then you edit DF\data\init\init.txt:

[GRAPHICS]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:gb16x16.bmp]

The colour settings are at the end of the file.

Oarfish

Prophet
That's a great tileset, thanks.

Oh, and this new version is bloody great. I just pitched my first fortress somewhere that looked nice and quiet to discover a bloody great nest of antmen in the mountain. Be nice to get some fog of war back though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom