Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

No, I haven't really played more than a handful of minutes. Wasn't saying that DA2 couldn't serve a similar purpose, just that Falloout 4 could. However I do think DA2's story, being a Bioware game, would be a bit too intrusive for this use. Fair enough?
Oh yeah, I yet have play FO4 (if I do), but knowing beth's narrative style, I get what you mean.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Da2 is for people that can't think good
You like Fallout 4. I think that removes you from all rational conversation.

Edit: Not that DA2 ain't shit or something. It is.
Meh. Fallout 4 is a bad RPG, and a terrible Fallout game, but as a "I just had a long day, time to take out my rage by shooting the fuck out of shit" kind of game, it stands up.
No, it doesn't. Plenty of FPS do, Fallout 4 isn't one of them. You'd have to be mentally challenged to play it over games like STALKER.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Da2 is for people that can't think good
You like Fallout 4. I think that removes you from all rational conversation.

Edit: Not that DA2 ain't shit or something. It is.
Meh. Fallout 4 is a bad RPG, and a terrible Fallout game, but as a "I just had a long day, time to take out my rage by shooting the fuck out of shit" kind of game, it stands up.
No, it doesn't. Plenty of FPS do, Fallout 4 isn't one of them. You'd have to be mentally challenged to play it over games like STALKER.
I forgot to include the word mindless. :)

purpleblob

Savant
Final final update for those playing along at home (and looking for reasons to click the 'shit' reaction icon). She raced through DA2 and mostly loved it, (although she thought the zone reuse and magically spawning waves were lame), was pissed that her boytoy demon souled was essentially a terrorist who dumped her (this after her romancing Solas in DA:I only for him to also dump her), and is now going BACK to DA:I for a speed run so she can see how things change when importing her saves from DA:O and DA2.

Also, she much preferred the aesthetic from DA2 to either DA:O or DA:I.

One more speed run through DA:I and my long domestic nightmare will be over. :D The good and the bad of a gamer wife. Luckily, her choice of in-game romances is so bad that I look almsot respectable by comparison. :D

She romanced Anders huh... You do realise she might go back for "just one more speed run" to see what happens if she does x, y, z differently. Be mentally prepared :P

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
She romanced Anders huh... You do realise she might go back for "just one more speed run" to see what happens if she does x, y, z differently. Be mentally prepared :P

Yeah... she did. Romanced Fenris. Still thinks DA2 is her favorite. Now is doing speed runs of DA:I with her two save games to see what's different. But otherwise, everything is fine. Everything. Is. Fine. :negative:

TNO

Augur
Sorry for Necro: I've been playing the Dragon Age series over the holidays.

Holy moly the game is bad. I've never really played MMOs, but this has inoculated me against them. I got 8 hours in for the obnoxious 'gating' of story with 'power' you gain by grinding FedEx and frobbing loot to be driven to distraction. I give up, especially as the story and narrative stuff looks bland as hell (oh look, you're the chosen one! You're part of an elite secret society to stop the vast evil by any means necessary!)

Dragon Age 2 got rightly savaged. Nonetheless I think it is a better game than DAI. Sometimes the combat was entertaining, some of the story was refreshingly different, some of the content was interesting. Yes, manifestly flawed, but at least something there. DA:I does no better than this, with the added cost of dozens of hours riding across wilderness to find the thing to frob on your minimap as the game decrees you have to do x bullshit 'quests' to get more plot.

How anyone thought this was a good game, still less a 'return to form' from DA2 horrifies me.

DAI has the distinction of being perhaps the only western rpg that's ever made me hate my own character. There's no way to play that doesn't make you look like a dumb asshole. Even my elf character got halfway through the game and turns stupid as soon as they start talking about her own religion. Other than that I didn't mind it so much because I am one of those jerks that can forgive lackluster game play for quirky characters and an entertaining world, which Bioware has been banking on since KOTOR.

purpleblob

Savant
DAI has the distinction of being perhaps the only western rpg that's ever made me hate my own character. There's no way to play that doesn't make you look like a dumb asshole. Even my elf character got halfway through the game and turns stupid as soon as they start talking about her own religion. Other than that I didn't mind it so much because I am one of those jerks that can forgive lackluster game play for quirky characters and an entertaining world, which Bioware has been banking on since KOTOR.

You didn't hate Hawke or you didn't play that trash? Sure, I hated my Inquisitor, but I hate my Hawke more.

You didn't hate Hawke or you didn't play that trash? Sure, I hated my Inquisitor, but I hate my Hawke more.

Hawke could be charming or funny sometimes, or at least they could in the few hours I played. The Inquisitor is just boring af, which is the corner you back yourself into when you let someone play as a blank-slate character and you build a story that doesn't work with a blank-slate character around them. If you really think about it, it makes no sense for most potential Inquisitors to actually be the Inquisitor. Why the fuck is an elf or a dwarf or a qunari even in charge of a massive army that rivals that of other nations?

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I sacrificed Hawk, it was the easiest decision I ever made.

The only thing I liked about Inquisition was high fantasy colors and bright landscapes. I thought it was pretty atmospheric. But it was like playing an offline mmo. Completely void of substance. The main city forget what it was called something Valrox or something was dead. Literally was one of the most lifeless cities I ever encountered in an an rpg.

They even fucked up the combat instead of a hack and slash or rtwp it seems like they tried to bridge the gap and fell through. The pause over head option was not intuitive and so I rarely found it useful.

One thing I did like was the keep which felt lively and significant. However I thought the map screen where your advisors gathered around was tedious. I know upgrading/enchanting weapons and armor is optional, but I found that I was spending too much time doing that because I felt like I had to keep up.

One thing I like about DA story is the lore about the black city in the fade. I thought it was a really cool concept wrapped in mystery. But the way they went about telling the story in Inquisiton was convoluted. I'll never play it again, but I'm glad I did for whatever reason.

I can't believe this is the same company that made Baldurs Gate. How they could bring so much life to the Forgotten Realms and then offer up the last 2 DA entires is asinine.

Last edited:
And it doesn't matter which race you play as, a bulking qunary acts the same as a tiny elf.

eggdogg

Learned
DAI is phenomenally bad. The only redeemable quality is the cover art and its not even good.

typical user

Arbiter
I liked the graphics but for graphics alone I would rather watch a movie than play this game.

But I did finish it, every quest available. I guess further I went then harder it was to stop. Same thing why I finished Skyrim but Skyrim can be modded.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
DAI is phenomenally bad. The only redeemable quality is the cover art and its not even good.

dragon_age_inquisition1.jpg

And just to enshrine the fact that DA:I can't do anything right, the cover art displays the wrong hand bearing the mark. It's the left in game, but the right on the cover art.

:greatjob:

KlauZ

Educated
Inquisition is the best, you can't find more cringewothy AAA game.

Also exploration is great.

Absinthe

Arcane
Exploration is good but there's a difference between exploring and walking. Exploring suggests you actually discover things. Walking means you just passively take in the scenery while you slowly try to get from point A to point B.

Hawke could be charming or funny sometimes, or at least they could in the few hours I played. The Inquisitor is just boring af, which is the corner you back yourself into when you let someone play as a blank-slate character and you build a story that doesn't work with a blank-slate character around them.
Hawke was pretty retarded most of the time though. Now, they could have let players build on their character background and define the protagonist's identity more but Bioware was always bad at providing any sort of meaningful decision-making.

If you really think about it, it makes no sense for most potential Inquisitors to actually be the Inquisitor. Why the fuck is an elf or a dwarf or a qunari even in charge of a massive army that rivals that of other nations?
Better question: Why is the inquisition so ridiculously heretical? I mean, when you look at the inquisition, how do you not get the feeling that the purge needs to start with your own damn crew. Why aren't you purging at all? How is this an inquisition? What the fuck are you doing.

This is one of those cases where marketing started out with a "cool" idea that focus groups liked and nobody considered what that concept actually meant.

Better question: Why is the inquisition so ridiculously heretical? I mean, when you look at the inquisition, how do you not get the feeling that the purge needs to start with your own damn crew. Why aren't you purging at all? How is this an inquisition? What the fuck are you doing.

This is one of those cases where marketing started out with a "cool" idea that focus groups liked and nobody considered what that concept actually meant.

It makes more sense if you just think of it as a way to provide some legitimacy for the org's existence. The old Inquisition became the Templars when they joined with the Chantry, so when the Templars break away the people at the top go, "uhh I guess we can do that Inquisition thing again." In truth you're the personal army of a now-dead pope.

Shadenuat

Arcane
My wife just finished playing this for the fourth time today. :negative:
ZFoXa0r.jpg

So guys I'm going through rpgs I missed due to not having modern PC. I finished Witcher 3 with all expansions. What would happen with me if I run this after? Will I just turn into a pile of vomit when I see bioware characters again or should I try DAI at least for lulz? Maybe it would be a good shock therapy for hating games and I would abandon gaming find new job wife to play DAI instead of me etc? :shittydog: I don't know :M
or maybe I try Fallout 4 instead... but that thing pisses me off way more than Bioware because DA is at least not an old venerable franchise raped by modern hacks

Last edited:
It has couple really good looking locations with bigger variety in landscapes than witcher 3 but its all for nothing thanks to retarded mmo-quest design. Explorations is on par with Skyrim so pretty much non-existent. Just mindlessly following quest compass from one point of interest to next one. Combat is banal and if you play on easy or nightmare doesn't really matter cause you rape everything after around lvl 8-9. Aside from dragon fights i don't remember one fucking encounter and even those get boring after 5th lizard. They have some cool gimmicks like avoiding pools of water when fighting lighting based dragon or damaging different parts of body but its still same mmo based shitty cooldowns combat system. No healing spells and limited healing potions sounds cool at first but than you notice its all about keeping your magic shields up and they even put some chests right before boss fights so you can replenish your resources...

Companions are hit and miss. Those i expected to be utter shit like gay mage, strong white wymyn, strong black wymyn, and elf with aids are actually pretty cool. Those i hoped to be interesting like qunari merc captain or simpleton possessed by a demon are dog shit. Still much better than da2 elven loli, elven sephirot and gay anders.

Quests are literally "gather five letters" or "go to 3 apostles locations and kill them all". The only memorable ones i think are In Hushed Whispers and In Your Heart Shall Burn but the latter is than dragged down by that retarded singing scene.

They also made Grey wardens utter retards and complete cucks...

At least you can fuck cassandra and she has pretty banging tits

Didnt play F4 so cant really help you with that. I got DAI for 5€ co cant really complain. It satisfied me in "mindless hack&slash with cool looking environments and overpowered as fuck abilities" genre. Though I did not finish it cause i already killed main antagonist in DA2 dlc and this time he was even bigger pushover so why bother again?

Frozen

Arcane
The worst thing for me about it is...there are some mosaic parts...collect one of billion of trillions fetch quest and if you collect them all there should be like a story about it (some dwarf in your castle should tell you about it when you have it all)
Problem is they fucked it up and one part is unreachable inside a rock, error in placing objects and lolz you cant finish all quests
I doubt they fixed it until now.
My only goal while slogging through was to complete ALL because im a completionist and you cant even do that one fucking thing. In a game where 90% of things to do is collecting junk they couldn't do that 1 thing right.
You also must have right mindset like...drifting and not thinking at all while playing, almost like sleeping. Its a game for no thinking people. No wonder women love it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom