Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So we will finally get to see Isabella's eurospic tits?

Holy crap. Now that BioWare is showing titties, this is totally going to become a thing. People buying DLC so they can see their favorite character from previous games naked.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
So we will finally get to see Isabella's eurospic tits?

Yo don't need a game for that. I mean

vUvUVDo.jpg

The truth is out there.

pippin

I'm aware of rule 34 material, but since Bioware gave up, it would be nice to have official rule 34 of her.

circ

Arcane
Just fought some dragon on Storm Coast. Was level 15, dragon was level 19. So, not doable? Well, dragon wipes out the rest of my group in the first few seconds of the fight, didn't have time to quaff lightning resist potions because I figured how tough can it be? Oh.

Spent the next five minutes soloing the dragon because knight-enchanter. Why BioWare?

Modron

Arcane
She's missing a toe. Is it deliberate, to make this fanart more :incloosive:?

Also, she's not that fat, in the actual game. Fucking casuals.

She actually has 5 toes if you look closely, the toe right next to the big one is just somewhat obscured by the one next to it...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
She's missing a toe. Is it deliberate, to make this fanart more :incloosive:?

Also, she's not that fat, in the actual game. Fucking casuals.

She actually has 5 toes if you look closely, the toe right next to the big one is just somewhat obscured by the one next to it...

I did notice something there on a closer look, but that looked like an un-erased sketch line to me. Either way, they made her fat.

circ

Arcane
I don't understand the plot I gotta say. Why is the Inquisition necessary exactly? Can't you just be a spectre without the inquisition title? Your mission is - and no you can't choose to not accept it - to seal the breach and by extension kill or incapacitate Corypheus. So, why do I have to milk someone's cow to advance the efforts of the inquisition? And I do advance it holy shit. In previous BW games you needed to do sidequests to gain information to advance the plot and they were tied to an alignment system so it made some sense atleast. Here, I get influence that is in no way important to ANYTHING. What does attending a retarded ball have to do with Corypheus or the end of the world or the inquisition? Why is the end boss fight in 90% of areas a dragon - that plays exactly the same too?

Why is a game in 2014-2015 labeled an RPG when there's no RPG to speak of? Can I eat herbs and food like in Skyrim? No. Can I use a fire to warm up myself because it's freezing? No. Can I climb a hill that would be difficult in reality but doable with some effort? Nope - I gotta take the beginners slope. Oh I get it, RPG is short for talking to people - select people, that all stand in the exact same spot day in day out. No day/night cycle - although one area goes from raining all the time to sunshine all the time due to a quest. Having NPC's just walk from A to B and even doing nothing at the conclusion would be an improvement but is apparently impossible for BioWare. BW games on the whole have none of the complex scripting work of say Bethesda games and yet, they manage to include bugs that look like Bethesda at their worst. How do you miss a keyword on items so you have a quest hanging indefinitely? Then 6 patches later, it's still there and you've broken more than existed at release. Amazing.

It's pretty, though. BW or prerequisite tools that come with the Frostbite 3 engine make lighting look realistic - something that Bethesda still hasn't managed and seem to actually make worse with every game they release. Can't say I'm impressed by the characters skin textures though and especially the hair. The hair oh boy. It's 2015, surely you could hire someone who knows what hair looks like even remotely? I mean sure, you have to keep up the disabled quotas, but maybe you could employ the blind people in some department that doesn't require sight? Just saying. Still, I gotta say the visuals are impressive. Foot impressions on snow. Rain soaked clothing and environs.

Oh, I'll say something about lore too. Not once have I looked into a codex entry in recent BW games - ME or DA. BioWare doesn't know how to do worldbuilding or lore at all. None of it's interesting in the least, and that's despite using assets from other media like - orcs (sorry darkspawn), elves, dwarves, entire bestiary and so on. Had this game instead been based on Star Wars, skipping the SWTOR debacle entirely, that would have already been more interesting, and that's something of an accomplishment considering Star Wars lore and plots consist of Sith rise to power, Jedi die. Jedi return and Sith die.

Last edited:

pippin

I haven't played DAI, but isn't this Inquisition idea related in some way to the tension between the paladins and the mages? At least the first two games did a lot of lore building about it, and if it all ends up in putting a band aid on the sky then it's certainly awful.

circ

Arcane
The tension between templars (paladins) and mages gets resolved in about 10 minutes. It gets mentioned here and there thoughout but considering it was some kind of cataclysmic event post DA 2, I don't see what the big deal about it is in DAI.

Delterius

Arcane
Yes, most faction issues are resolved rather unceremoniously. Supposedly, the Inquisiton acts through the game as a sort of Salvation Army that helps refugees and fights the Evil Cultists from the shadows. Because no one else can for <reasons>. Which brings us to the real question: how grossly incompetent does a group of States must be in order to completely ignore the Apocalypse and go about their normal business of civil wars and shit?

eremita

Savant
There's an interesting Reddit thread going on about Inquisition's side quests. Feel like posting it here to get some opinions... I haven't played the game yet and I probably won't in the near future if ever, but the topic of fetch quests or bland gameplay in general is something I'm thinking about a lot lately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/...ers_allinquisition_side_quests_apologia_sort/

Let me just preface the actual post by saying that, while this is going to be my first message here, I've been reading this reddit for quite some time now, and I'm pretty impressed by the level of discussion here, both its politeness and content, a nice change from many other discussion boards. Having said that, I would like to share some thoughts on the side quests in Inquisition. Obviously they've been one of the main objects of criticism of the game, and though I do feel like Bioware could've done more with side content, I think much of the flak is not really deserved.

Many people argue that basically most of the game is just filler content. I'm not going to refute the "filler" part since its definition is very arbitrary; however, we should keep in mind that in pretty much all RPGs (Western ones anyway), side content comprises the majority of the quests, if not the actual playing time. Inquisition is in no way unique in this regard.

It also bothers me when some people define all side quests in the game as "fetch quests". Either their definition of "fetch quests" is stretched beyond imagining, or they don't quite understand what it is. Admittedly I haven't counted all the side quests in Inquisition, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't more than a dozen "proper" fetch quests in this 100+ hours game, and most of them are given in the Hinterlands, an area specifically designed to quickly level you up, and the Exalted Plains. The majority of side quests, while perhaps not especially meaningful, cannot be categorised as fetch quests.

Also, I get the impression that many of those who criticise Inquisition's side content often look at previous DA (and generally Bioware) games through rose-tinted glasses, forgetting about the quality of side quests there. While Origins had a few interesting, challenging side quests (Zerlinda in Orzammar, Tevinter slavers in the Alienage, etc.), most of them were arguably even less meaningful that in Inquisition and included either going to some remote location and killing darkspawn/bandits or simply procuring ingredients or valuables. Plus, the rationale for the Warden to do all these menial talks was pretty questionable unlike in Inquisition (I will touch on that later). Mass Effect 2 was a bit of an exception since it had very few side quests to being with (I'm not counting loyalty missions), but IIRC most of them were of the "find the owner of stolen documents/locket/package" variety. As for Mass Effect 3, while there were quite a few interesting quests on the Citadel, there were even more classic fetch quests which involved planet scanning, probe launching and nothing more.

With that said, let's take a look at how side quests are implemented in Inquisition. I think an important part of how well side content works is whether the game gives you enough motivation to do it, and there are very few problems, if any, with motivation in the game. When you go to the Hinterlands, your main goal is bringing order to this war-ravaged region and heralding (no pun intended) the Inquisition as a new power. Needless to say, it entails doing various insignificant tasks for the locals and providing the refugees with what they require, all in a bid to raise the Inquisition's profile in these lands. Contrast it with Origins, where you were racing against time to stop the Archdemon, with Blight spreading rapidly across Ferelden... but apparently you still had enough time to paint some doors, fetch some scrolls, deliver some notices or find some garnets. Those are the very definition of fetch quests, and yet the game doesn't really give the player any rationale to do it (other than money). At least you hunt rams in order to feed the starving refugees who will then spread the word about the Inquisition.

Some people might say, "fine, forget about the Hinterlands, why am I supposed to do side quests in order to get enough power to do main missions?!" Well I think there are good reasons for that as well. Before you do "Champions of the Just", you need to elevate the Inquisition to a certain level of recognition and support. Before assaulting Adamant, you have to organise your forces and prepare for the siege. Before "What Pride Had Wrought", you need to mobilise your army and agents and send word to your allies. In gameplay terms, it all translates to acquiring more power and yes, doing side content. And I think this mechanic is really clever - side quests are a means to getting power and influence which in turn are commodities you use to do operations, unlock regions and generally spread your organisation's reach beyond Skyhold. That you end up having much more power than you actually need, is another question.

Another arguments is, "OK, I'm only the Herald in the beginning of the game, but why the hell am I supposed to run errands for nobodies when I become the Inquisitor?", which brings me to the question of how side quests are integrated into the game. Sure, when you lead an incredibly powerful military and religious order, you'd have to have a pretty low self-esteem to stoop to finding random things for random people. But the fact of the matter is, there are very few quest givers in the game, and most side quests are initiated simply by stumbling upon a place of interest or finding an unsent letter, or someone's body. You aren't approached by needy NPCs who spout a couple of lines of exposition before begging you to fetch something for them, you just happen to find interesting things while exploring. And it makes sense because most places you go to are uninhabited, there aren't supposed to be any people there who would provide you with a side quest. Of course that also means that side quests aren't based on dialogue and lack any sort of choice at the end, and I do wish that the game featured at least a few of those, but the existing pattern is really well integrated into the whole "exploring the wilderness" concept.

Finally - and I realise it's just my personal opinion - I think Inquisition side quests really breathe life into the world, make it look real. Paradoxically, I think the system whereby information is given to you through various codices, journals and letters is more realistic than random NPCs whose sole purpose is to give you an errand to run. Thus I believe that, while side content in DA:I is by no means ideal, it is well implemented, gives you a sound motivation to complete them, and hardly features more pointless fetch quests than other games of the franchise. Anyway, I felt like sharing my thoughts on the subject and would like to hear yours. :)

UPD: I think Bioware have taken notice of the "lack of choice" complaint about the side quests considering "Jaws of Hakkon" already has some of the best side content in the game, and quite a few quests ending with challenging choices (Grandin, Siegried, Finn).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's an interesting Reddit thread going on about Inquisition's side quests. Feel like posting it here to get some opinions... I haven't played the game yet and I probably won't in the near future if ever, but the topic of fetch quests or bland gameplay in general is something I'm thinking about a lot lately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/...ers_allinquisition_side_quests_apologia_sort/
Let me just preface the actual post by saying that, while this is going to be my first message here, I've been reading this reddit for quite some time now, and I'm pretty impressed by the level of discussion here, both its politeness and content, a nice change from many other discussion boards. Having said that, I would like to share some thoughts on the side quests in Inquisition. Obviously they've been one of the main objects of criticism of the game, and though I do feel like Bioware could've done more with side content, I think much of the flak is not really deserved.

Many people argue that basically most of the game is just filler content. I'm not going to refute the "filler" part since its definition is very arbitrary; however, we should keep in mind that in pretty much all RPGs (Western ones anyway), side content comprises the majority of the quests, if not the actual playing time. Inquisition is in no way unique in this regard.

It also bothers me when some people define all side quests in the game as "fetch quests". Either their definition of "fetch quests" is stretched beyond imagining, or they don't quite understand what it is. Admittedly I haven't counted all the side quests in Inquisition, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't more than a dozen "proper" fetch quests in this 100+ hours game, and most of them are given in the Hinterlands, an area specifically designed to quickly level you up, and the Exalted Plains. The majority of side quests, while perhaps not especially meaningful, cannot be categorised as fetch quests.

Also, I get the impression that many of those who criticise Inquisition's side content often look at previous DA (and generally Bioware) games through rose-tinted glasses, forgetting about the quality of side quests there. While Origins had a few interesting, challenging side quests (Zerlinda in Orzammar, Tevinter slavers in the Alienage, etc.), most of them were arguably even less meaningful that in Inquisition and included either going to some remote location and killing darkspawn/bandits or simply procuring ingredients or valuables. Plus, the rationale for the Warden to do all these menial talks was pretty questionable unlike in Inquisition (I will touch on that later). Mass Effect 2 was a bit of an exception since it had very few side quests to being with (I'm not counting loyalty missions), but IIRC most of them were of the "find the owner of stolen documents/locket/package" variety. As for Mass Effect 3, while there were quite a few interesting quests on the Citadel, there were even more classic fetch quests which involved planet scanning, probe launching and nothing more.

With that said, let's take a look at how side quests are implemented in Inquisition. I think an important part of how well side content works is whether the game gives you enough motivation to do it, and there are very few problems, if any, with motivation in the game. When you go to the Hinterlands, your main goal is bringing order to this war-ravaged region and heralding (no pun intended) the Inquisition as a new power. Needless to say, it entails doing various insignificant tasks for the locals and providing the refugees with what they require, all in a bid to raise the Inquisition's profile in these lands. Contrast it with Origins, where you were racing against time to stop the Archdemon, with Blight spreading rapidly across Ferelden... but apparently you still had enough time to paint some doors, fetch some scrolls, deliver some notices or find some garnets. Those are the very definition of fetch quests, and yet the game doesn't really give the player any rationale to do it (other than money). At least you hunt rams in order to feed the starving refugees who will then spread the word about the Inquisition.

Some people might say, "fine, forget about the Hinterlands, why am I supposed to do side quests in order to get enough power to do main missions?!" Well I think there are good reasons for that as well. Before you do "Champions of the Just", you need to elevate the Inquisition to a certain level of recognition and support. Before assaulting Adamant, you have to organise your forces and prepare for the siege. Before "What Pride Had Wrought", you need to mobilise your army and agents and send word to your allies. In gameplay terms, it all translates to acquiring more power and yes, doing side content. And I think this mechanic is really clever - side quests are a means to getting power and influence which in turn are commodities you use to do operations, unlock regions and generally spread your organisation's reach beyond Skyhold. That you end up having much more power than you actually need, is another question.

Another arguments is, "OK, I'm only the Herald in the beginning of the game, but why the hell am I supposed to run errands for nobodies when I become the Inquisitor?", which brings me to the question of how side quests are integrated into the game. Sure, when you lead an incredibly powerful military and religious order, you'd have to have a pretty low self-esteem to stoop to finding random things for random people. But the fact of the matter is, there are very few quest givers in the game, and most side quests are initiated simply by stumbling upon a place of interest or finding an unsent letter, or someone's body. You aren't approached by needy NPCs who spout a couple of lines of exposition before begging you to fetch something for them, you just happen to find interesting things while exploring. And it makes sense because most places you go to are uninhabited, there aren't supposed to be any people there who would provide you with a side quest. Of course that also means that side quests aren't based on dialogue and lack any sort of choice at the end, and I do wish that the game featured at least a few of those, but the existing pattern is really well integrated into the whole "exploring the wilderness" concept.

Finally - and I realise it's just my personal opinion - I think Inquisition side quests really breathe life into the world, make it look real. Paradoxically, I think the system whereby information is given to you through various codices, journals and letters is more realistic than random NPCs whose sole purpose is to give you an errand to run. Thus I believe that, while side content in DA:I is by no means ideal, it is well implemented, gives you a sound motivation to complete them, and hardly features more pointless fetch quests than other games of the franchise. Anyway, I felt like sharing my thoughts on the subject and would like to hear yours. :)

That reads like someone is trying to rationalize that he spent hundreds of hours doing trivial tasks. "It wasn't a fetch quest when I had to rip 10 pieces of ore out of the ground, I was rebuilding the economy and fed the starving." At least he knows that it's "apologia".

and hardly features more pointless fetch quests than other games of the franchise

This one is debatable and also not a sound argument. If something is bad, it doesn't get better by being repeated again and again.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think much of the flak is not really deserved.
My fanboy detector exploded, now I need to buy a new one. Basically that guy's wall of text can be tl;dr'd to: "Other games including previous installments of DA had crappy filler sidequests, so there's nothing wrong with DA:I taking it to a wholly new level by being one huge mindless MMO-like grindfest."

Also, it seems the tacticool camera got fixed.
Fixed how? If it's just more zoom, you could get unlimited zoom with Cheat Engine anyway. Tactical mode is fundamentally broken because grappling with terrible design takes more time than actually fighting enemies. First, it has serious terrain/pathfinding issues. Second, attacking or using any ability negates Hold Position so you need to babysit your companions constantly. Third, some abilities like Fade Cloak and Whirlwind are designed only for action mode.

DeepOcean

Arcane

UPD: I think Bioware have taken notice of the "lack of choice" complaint about the side quests considering "Jaws of Hakkon" already has some of the best side content in the game, and quite a few quests ending with challenging choices (Grandin, Siegried, Finn).
He sounds like a guy LARPING really hard, there are even some of those types here on the codex from time to time, fanboying really hard, especially for Bioware and Obsidian. "It's not a fetch quest if I LARP it isn't." He is right that fetch quests work if you place them on some context so they aren't just random bullshit but the LARPING comes when he says the Inquisition power points justify everything. If you were just some lowly douchebag on the inquisition, it would make sense they sending you to do those menial tasks (someone could argue rightly that if that shit is boring, why should be in the game in the first place?) but you being a lowly douchebag on a Bioware game? That isn't going to happen.

zero29

Arbiter
biotard said:
...but I'm pretty sure that there isn't more than a dozen "proper" fetch quests in this 100+ hours game...
and i'm pretty sure he chose to forget about all those fetch quest generators on every map...
Requisition_table_-_Emprise.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom