Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
Indeed, it has always been a major immersion breaker for me in RPG : mages usually have supernatural abilities while fighters did not, yet both ended up "balanced" (which makes magic stupid if it ends up no more powerful than hitting things with a sword). But there is no reason for fighters not to have supernatural powers in the first place (except that it's the way Tolkien and DnD did this) :
The greek warrior heroes were demigods, while Siegurd became invincible after bathing in the blood of a dragon.
Bullshit, thats like saying chemistry is lame because you cant use it on the fly to kill people (its not and you totally can).
A fighter doesnt need supernatural powers, just a way to face them.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Larian is a small company and has limited resources to address most of your concerns, Volourn. Unlike Bioware, a AAA company blessed with all the resources they could ever want except for talent in both gameplay and writing.

Let alone narrative and gameplay, I find it really amusing that despite their huge budgets they're still unable to design heads/faces.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Most Biowaran characters are not mortal according to this definition."

Wrong. Most of them do die. They're certainly not immortal. Even the Bhaalspawn - who was half god - was definitely killable.

"Larian is a small company and has limited resources to address most of your concerns, Volourn. Unlike Bioware, a AAA company blessed with all the resources they could ever want except for talent in both gameplay and writing."

I've read your posts on this game. Nice try with the sarcasm.

But, I'll bite because some actual Larian fanboy will cry.

Larian is NOT a small company. Smaller than BIO? Yes. But, not small.

It's funny that people will continually claim I'm a BIO fanboy when I bash them lots. See my posts about KOTOR, BG1, KOTOR OL, Sonic: RPG, or even Neverfukkin'winter Fukkin' Nights. LMAO

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Indeed, it has always been a major immersion breaker for me in RPG : mages usually have supernatural abilities while fighters did not, yet both ended up "balanced" (which makes magic stupid if it ends up no more powerful than hitting things with a sword). But there is no reason for fighters not to have supernatural powers in the first place (except that it's the way Tolkien and DnD did this) :
The greek warrior heroes were demigods, while Siegurd became invincible after bathing in the blood of a dragon.
Josh Sawyer's giving fighters soul powers and everyone's bitching.

However, you're kind of missing my point. If you make fighters into superhumans, that matches my dichotomy. Either the player should be given powerful choices or weak choices, not both.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've thought for a while now that RPGs should make the PCs either mages or not mages and not let the player choose.

Either you're a powerful walking thrower of destruction, or you're a mundane forced to deal with them. Making a game that lets you be either is asking for trouble.

It could be interesting to play a game where you're a non-caster who has to take our wizards. You'd need to rely a lot more on stealth than on swords, though - sort of like a fantasy Hitman.

That reinforces my opinion that fighter players are idiots. They want to compete with wizards, but without being able to do things a real person couldn't hypothetically do. The only way to please them is with something like D&D 4e, where no one can do anything interesting.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

However, you're kind of missing my point. If you make fighters into superhumans, that matches my dichotomy. Either the player should be given powerful choices or weak choices, not both.
Actually, I completely agree with your point, hence why I advocated for superhuman fighters instead of mundane fighters that could dodge/endure lightning bolts because balance (or fighters as bodyguards for the mage, but certainly not the other way around).

Xbalanque

Educated
I'd like it if RPGs would focus on spellcaster gameplay and have warriors just be NPC classes. Unfortunately most people are idiots, and idiots don't want any tactics or planning - they just want to run up to stuff and hit it.
I've thought for a while now that RPGs should make the PCs either mages or not mages and not let the player choose.

Either you're a powerful walking thrower of destruction, or you're a mundane forced to deal with them. Making a game that lets you be either is asking for trouble.
Why must a mage be a powerful walking thrower of destruction? Mages are meant to know things, to study them, they are smart and prepared individuals, their power doesnt come just from their magic, but from the fact that they can prepare themselves for anything that comes their way.
Why must the fighter be mundane? You have to think of the definition of a fighter in a world with magic. First, would he have access to relatively weak magic to counter true mages? a way of impeding spellcasting, disrupting it, dispeling it, deflecting it? a fighter is not a soldier, he can lack military training and still be learned on combat, their are men trained to react fast and efficiently to any threat, how would an unprepared spellcaster be able to face them, when by the time he starts making gestures theres a sword between his head and the rest of his body?

When you make an rpg there are many things to define, mages dont automatically get to be gods, or warriors need to stay shit by comparison. You have complete control over their progression curve, their skills, powers and limitations, and they can be both made in a coherent and believable way without falling on the trope of linear warriors and quadratic wizards.

How can you put magic vs. fighters in D&D and Tolkien into the same category? Even in quantitative terms mages in the Middle-Earth are faaaaaar less than in D&D, and magic is never overused (neither Gandalf, nor Saruman throw fireballs here and there). There are no really clear rules to the magic especially in LOTR. Most of the magic is also related to different powerful objects, that's why Aragorn weilds Anduril and so on. No really good comparison here.

Moreover, it is noteworthy to say that you have mundane mages in D&D and powerful warriors have enchanted armor and weapons which may make them a match for wizards (even though the problem is that the world is swarmed with magical items).

Shannow

Waster of Time
Josh Sawyer's giving fighters soul powers longer arms if they increase their intelligence and everyone's bitching.
Fixed that for you.
Oh, and your discussion is shit and this is not the right thread for it. Just wanted to mention it. Carry on.

DraQ

Arcane
But there is no reason for fighters not to have supernatural powers in the first place (except that it's the way Tolkien and DnD did this)
Supernatural powers ceasing to be supernatural if everyone has them is a reason enough.

Besides, we already have an answer:
...how would an unprepared spellcaster be able to face them, when by the time he starts making gestures theres a sword between his head and the rest of his body?
That shitty Starship Troopers flick even had a scene about it, IIRC.

Of course there are ways to distribute magic less traditionally and still have it work in the context and even be awesome (see Mieville's Bas-Lag cycle), but it's not easy to do it without turning your setting into magical animu herpaderp.

What's funny about Larian is how delusional their fanboys are.

OH MY GAWD! THE IRONY! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In fact, I'm using my irony meter as desktop fan as we speak.
:smug:
Josh Sawyer's giving fighters soul powers longer arms if they increase their intelligence and everyone's bitching.
Fixed that for you.
laughing_chimp.jpg

Pictured: intelligent fighter.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant

"he he he":salute:

edit.
dat hivemind

Nice graphics, looks better than I expected. If I'm not mistaken there was no quest compass either.

Laidlaw said there won't be a compass in case of many optional quests. Cause Exploration...

Mages vs Fighters: If we're speaking in terms of combat, then I don't see any reason why those classes shouldn't be balanced. Also, preparations and positions are essential. Mage can stood on top of hill and unleash hell on whole armies, killing thousands. Mage may also find himself in front of a trained fighter who's gonna fuck him up in no time. Lhynn is right that basically only the "way of killing someone" matters. The fact that you can be easily killed doesn't contradict the fact that you're otherwise very skilled in many ways. I liked how Khal Drogo died like a bitch in GoT... In RPG's combat abstraction, it manifests itself as various poisons, spells (like Ray of Enfeeblement) etc - generally speaking, tactics. It's the same with mages...

Perkel

Arcane
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/19/sex-romance-and-dragon-age-inquisitions-improved-relationships

Part of the solution here, Laidlaw explained, is, “Let’s not have gifts that buy affection. Let’s not have sex be the end goal. Let’s instead try and reach for something that’s like genuine affections.

He also notes that The Darkness, of all games, accomplishes more with romance than most games.

“The most romantic moment in a video game that I’ve ever seen is when Jackie visits his girlfriend’s apartment in The Darkness…. She baked me a cake, she’s moving in, and you watch possibly the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird as she passes out on your lap because she’s tired and snuggly. That is amazing.”

Well it was fun while it lasted folks ! One less thing to post on rpgcodex now.

but then:

‘Hey you, we’re going to kiss now.’ And let players enjoy that, and feel like, yeah, that’s a real thing.

codextrollface.png

Nah bros decline and shitty writing are here to stay.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Worst kept secret? Achievements for this were leaked a long time ago.

Inquisition’s story is an enormous, 200 hour commitment for completists, so BioWare wants multiplayer to work in short 20-30 minute bursts. Each of the three multiplayer campaigns available at launch randomly generates a large level comprised of smaller sections. you’ll fight through five of 10 pre-designed areas in one go, each with distinct variables. Next time, you may see the same stage in a new spot, or an entirely different collection of arenas entirely, all with different enemy encounters, ideally making multiplayer missions replayable indefinitely.

DAI_WM_MP4new.jpg

:dgaider:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MP in Mass Effect 3 was fun :M Dont see how could they fuck it up here :troll:

ME3 MP was a fast cover based shooter, not a game where your character stays in one place and hits an enemy 400 hundread times to kill him.
This looks like fantasy Mass Effect. I am probably going to buy Dragon Age: Inquisition day one just because I don't own a single retail game on PS4 and I treat this as an action rpg.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
This looks like fantasy Mass Effect. I am probably going to buy Dragon Age: Inquisition day one just because I don't own a single retail game on PS4 and I treat this as an action rpg.
Bros don't let bros give money to EA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom