Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

WalmartJesus

Learned
Cg665Fi.png

:rpgcodex:
Hi WalmartJesus - could you possibly choose a different avatar? I've been using this one for quite some time and also was the uploader of that set. It gets confusing to people seeing the same avatar on different users.

And where would be the fun in that? Just think, if me and you ever got into a heated argument down the road ..the rest of the codex would think some loony dude is telling himself to "fuck off and kill himself" :smug:

Tytus

Arcane
Cg665Fi.png

Hi WalmartJesus - could you possibly choose a different avatar? I've been using this one for quite some time and also was the uploader of that set. It gets confusing to people seeing the same avatar on different users.

And where would be the fun in that? Just think, if me and you ever got into a heated argument down the road ..the rest of the codex would think some loony dude is telling himself to "fuck off and kill himself" :smug:

Can undead actually be killed?

Or even worse can a Codexer be killed? How can you kill a thing that has no life?

Alchemist

Arcane
Cg665Fi.png

Eh, I'm not making a big deal of it - just thought I'd ask. I'll just change mine if you don't want to. There's plenty more classic AD&D art to choose from.

WalmartJesus

Learned
You should upload more dude. 1st edition's art is awesomely cheesy and reminds me of the illustations in Robert E Howard books.

Alchemist

Arcane
You should upload more dude. 1st edition's art is awesomely cheesy and reminds me of the illustations in Robert E Howard books.
Yeah, I've been planning to upload more at some point. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Anyway, sorry to derail the Dragon Age discussion!

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Well be it too much sex-flirt-deviation oriented, or other wrong (from my point of view- which i state here few times - just hate LGBT offensive propaganda -not people) design moves but i must say that im very happy that we will have another crpg.
Why? Becouse i love this genre and playing almost all titles (aside these from Japan - too exotic for me) till early 90's. I know that here or on other sites, or just among other fans of crpg there will be always a lot of hard criticism, or just
pure, worship for some titles. We are all part of that. Bioware this day is just shadow of its former glory in terms of innovation and presenting story, but still it deserves some respect. Why im writing this?
Well, i think a lot of joy and fun from today's crpgs among older players (including me) is lost becouse we just easy forget how to give some break and take often naive crpg story as it should be. We focus on mechanics, details, marketing, hopes, and loosing true value of having another one at least decent crpg game.
And i mean a Tale, decent Story in at least memorable world, be it fantasy setting or post-apo /sci-fi /present/alternative settings . Im playing old titles often, Betrayal at Krondor, Bg, Falls, Ishar, Ultimas, M&M, Realms of A , etc. not to mention crpgs that are only few years old , i often found them very simple, both in terms of story, mechanics & setting and easy to criticize or even laugh at. But then i stop and think, hey that is giving me pleasure, and fun similar to years that are long gone. Why? Becouse i do not demand from every crpg game to be intelectual wonder or milestone for the gaming industry, nor cure for all world troubles.
Im not saying that we should take all what any devs produce, but to look at our favourite gaming genre from greater distance and in more calm way. Just like in times of our youth. It really helps a lot, even with crpgs like Inqusition or ME .
Look at upcoming titles, in 2014 or 2015 . I can't stop playing D:OS yet and we have Pillars, Torment, Wasteland, Witcher 3, DA:I , Ultima: Ascension, Underrail, Age of Decadence and some roguelikes on the way. Maybe it is time for more optimism ? And some less emotions, reading about 6 posts in the row about FUCK that SHIT is really boring.
Sorry for my english, but im just some freak, living in a cave at the world's end.
So Fuck details, we should look at the final outcome, and if we remember story, characters, music, overall experience after we end the game then we had good game. That makes good crpg or rpg, that feeling which teleport us into another reality for some time.

Last edited:
And this is your comment Tytus ? I read this forum from it's start and play rpg, crpg for about 20 years. Does it really matters when i have registered? Do you masturbate at Steam achievments too? ;) I will not start in dick measure competition too ;)
That's one of the reasons i prefer single player over mmorpgs, so many zombies around in the net.

Last edited:

WalmartJesus

Learned
All computer games we already knew, are at most near R.A. Salvatore level of writing at best. If you are looking for intelectual thrill, look at real rpg or literature/art .

Instead of bitching at codexers for having fun and cracking harmless jokes, How about telling this to the hack writers at Bioware? Because they seem to think their Teen romance novel story and characters are renowned literary masterpieces on the same level as Hemmingway or Faulkner.

Well i think it is becouse level of main audience for computer games these times is very low. So developers can freely introduce that shitty stories to around 80% of audience between 14-28 target group which main life achievment is ability to make selfie photos on Apple shit and sending it to facebook. That kind of audience is really tired and scared when they see wall of text that contain more than 12 words which are different from : FUCK, COOL, APPLE, BEIBER, CORPORATION, COLLEGE, SCORE, BEER, EXCITED, PARTY, MOVIE, GUN.
Thats not only Bioware, that is massive decline of human intellect in larger scale.
Bioware just answer for needs of that public.
I bet for average 17 year old gamer in 2014 - Faulkner, Hemmingway, Salinger or Capote sounds like celebrities or other pop-shit-"culture" shit.

Last edited:
I like RAS books too, but they are surely not a top of fantasy literature. Just nice, brain relaxing writing, set in well known universe. Just like games, they are mainly for fun, not for intellectual debates.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I like RAS books too, but they are surely not a top of fantasy literature. Just nice, brain relaxing writing, set in well known universe. Just like games, they are mainly for fun, not for intellectual debates.

Your idea of "fun" and mine seem kind of different

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
That kind of audience is really tired and scared when they see wall of text that contain more than 12 words which are different from : FUCK, COOL, APPLE, BEIBER, CORPORATION, COLLEGE, SCORE, BEER, EXCITED, PARTY, MOVIE, GUN.

You sound like a huge buzzkill. What kind of person puts beer on their list of the decline, get it together man.

Or even worse can a Codexer be killed? How can you kill a thing that has no life?

Quitting is never the answer, dont be a faggot.

The MJ avatars are pretty frightening boys

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
In Codex, only the strong survive! Which of these newfags will illustrate this principle today?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Where are all these newfags coming from? Go spread your Bioware propaganda somewhere else, faggots.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Is the Witcher's dragon supposed to be better than the DA's dragon? Because it's all same shit to me.
Because of the art direction or because it's a dragon?
Because if you dislike fantasy in principle, your opinion is invalid. If it's the first, Witcher's dragon looks more natural, while DA's looks more exaggerated, stylized. Which one someone prefers is a matter of taste, but the diference is there.
I actually think they both look pretty nice in their respective styles. But the real test of dragon quality is in the animations. Skyrim's dragons also look good in screenshots, but the illusion is broken when you see them flying around like spastic seagulls.

Rake

Arcane
Is the Witcher's dragon supposed to be better than the DA's dragon? Because it's all same shit to me.
Because of the art direction or because it's a dragon?
Because if you dislike fantasy in principle, your opinion is invalid. If it's the first, Witcher's dragon looks more natural, while DA's looks more exaggerated, stylized. Which one someone prefers is a matter of taste, but the diference is there.
I actually think they both look pretty nice in their respective styles. But the real test of dragon quality is in the animations. Skyrim's dragons also look good in screenshots, but the illusion is broken when you see them flying around like spastic seagulls.
Oh, i don't have a problem with stylized. Unlike many Codexers i like cartoony (Warcraft/DOS) and even anime styles just as much as more gritty ones. What matters is the execution.
But i can understand if someone of the grey & brown "realistic" camp dislikes DA more stylised approach in principle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom