Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Avellion

Erudite
I wish I could come up with something really negative to say about this game so I could fit in with the cool kids.
Here, this should help you out.

2587481-3939224536-14047.png

2587482-5049905111-14047.png

2587484-9058352097-14047.jpg

2587489-6848012815-14047.png

2587488-3682427758-14047.jpg
You can thank me later.

Rake

Arcane
Is the Witcher's dragon supposed to be better than the DA's dragon? Because it's all same shit to me.
Because of the art direction or because it's a dragon?
Because if you dislike fantasy in principle, your opinion is invalid. If it's the first, Witcher's dragon looks more natural, while DA's looks more exaggerated, stylized. Which one someone prefers is a matter of taste, but the diference is there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think the point is that the Witcher dragon didn't cost 100,000$ to make and looks pretty much the same. I don't know if the Witcher is the right franchise to parade in front of Dragon Age, but i guess it is a fair comparison if we are just talking about how much those two companies got out of their respective budgets, particularly in lieu of that Fagdar comment.

All though, i think part of the reason Dragon Age looks so cheap is that the game was made to be isometric first and then they added zoom options only later, and generally speaking, isometric games always look like shit when zoomed in. Of course, i never played the game but that is the impression i'm getting just by watching those videos.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
I think the point is that the Witcher dragon didn't cost 100,000$ to make and looks pretty much the same. I don't know if the Witcher is the right franchise to parade in front of Dragon Age, but i guess it is a fair comparison if we are just talking about how much those two companies got out of their respective budgets, particularly in lieu of that Fagdar comment.

All though, i think part of the reason Dragon Age looks so cheap is that the game was made to be isometric first and than they added zoom options only later, and generally speaking, isometric games always look like shit when zoomed in. Of course, i never played the game but that is the impression i'm getting just by watching those videos.
The budget, is a part of it indeed, so is the release date. When you have a huge budget like BioWare did, you should be able to produce better graphics than what a much smaller developer with a much smaller team did 3 years ago. And since Dragon Age games no longer use overhead views for most of the game, there is no real excuse for it to look so cheap.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
People are forgetting that developers can earn upwards of 70.000 dollars working on a game like DA, while the costs of those same developers are miniscule working in former soviet republic.

imweasel

Honestly bros, I think the game looks rather decent so far, although the art is quite uninspiring.
The art direction is crap. Even the art direction in Mass Effect is clearly far superior.

DA:I, more now than ever, looks like a third-person fantasy shooter with nominal RPG elements.
Dragon's Dogma seems to have more depth than D:AI.

fanta

Arcane
People are forgetting that developers can earn upwards of 70.000 dollars working on a game like DA, while the costs of those same developers are miniscule working in former soviet republic.

dat history knowledge
:outrage:

I do not see them getting a core programmer for less than 40k USD / year in Poland. It's cheaper, but by no means minuscule.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Not sure if the difference is that big ,maybe in US they get double or triple in salary,but the cost of living are higher.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I doubt a programer in an eastern european country is paid more than 20 thousand euros a year starting out, in fact i bet they are paid much less. Also cost of living is sometimes anecdotal, take Spain and Portugal for example, Portuguese pay more taxes, earn much less and their cost of living is much higher, food, gas and other products are much cheaper in spain.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
30 seconds with google, come on.

Mind that the Canadian salary would be higher if the average Canadian programmer worked full time. Poland does however have the highest compulsory deductions (38% compared to 27% in Canada).

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
Well, to be honest, Bioware isn't terrible at twitch combat, if they full on commit to a twitch combat. The Mass Effects have a lot of weaknesses, but combat is passable. I'm not saying it's probable, but it's possible for them to do a decent fantasy action game.
Well, their last more action focus game was Jade Empire (Mass Effect is pretty much shooter right now, i meant something closer to hack and slash/slashers/beat'em up). Seeing how they would try that from zero would be interesting. Too bad so far they could just make bit faster animation and increase numbers of enemies and call that crap "action rpg option to play".

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well, to be honest, Bioware isn't terrible at twitch combat, if they full on commit to a twitch combat. The Mass Effects have a lot of weaknesses, but combat is passable. I'm not saying it's probable, but it's possible for them to do a decent fantasy action game.
Well, their last more action focus game was Jade Empire (Mass Effect is pretty much shooter right now, i meant something closer to hack and slash/slashers/beat'em up). Seeing how they would try that from zero would be interesting. Too bad so far they could just make bit faster animation and increase numbers of enemies and call that crap "action rpg option to play".
Oh. Fuck, I forgot Jade Empire. That was entertaining in some ways but sure as hell not in combat. So nevermind, they can't do action combat.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
30 seconds with google, come on.

Mind that the Canadian salary would be higher if the average Canadian programmer worked full time. Poland does however have the highest compulsory deductions (38% compared to 27% in Canada).
That's a horrible monthly wage in euros, about the same as a secretary makes in euros starting her first job here, in fact it's lower.

Barely above 7000 Euro gross yearly salary.

Alchemist

Arcane
Cg665Fi.png

:rpgcodex:
Hi WalmartJesus - could you possibly choose a different avatar? I've been using this one for quite some time and also was the uploader of that set. It gets confusing to people seeing the same avatar on different users.

curry

Arcane
Cg665Fi.png

Hi WalmartJesus - could you possibly choose a different avatar? I've been using this one for quite some time and also was the uploader of that set. It gets confusing to people seeing the same avatar on different users.

Walmart, don't do it, man. Don't give into this online bully's demands. Who knows what type of demands he'll make next, just to see how far you're willing to go.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cg665Fi.png

WalmartJesus Learned

Alchemist Erudite

Someone has to check his newfag privilege.

Tytus

Arcane
Cg665Fi.png

If it bothers you that people may be confused why not change your own avatar and not demand from someone to pander to your lower tastes in avatars and misguided sense of proprietorship? You sound like a feminist.

Lhynn

Arcane
Cg665Fi.png

If it bothers you that people may be confused why not change your own avatar and not demand from someone to pander to your lower tastes in avatars and misguided sense of proprietorship? You sound like a feminist.
Indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom