Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A Fallout 3-style slow-mo cinematic killmove camera is the bare minimum for good action gameplay.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
An action-based DA game could be interesting.
Well, we just need some competent studio. Maybe Platinum?
Well, to be honest, Bioware isn't terrible at twitch combat, if they full on commit to a twitch combat. The Mass Effects have a lot of weaknesses, but combat is passable. I'm not saying it's probable, but it's possible for them to do a decent fantasy action game.

Platinum, Ninja Theory, or whoever, would be better served just making games that stay away from this IP. It's not like Dragon Age is an interesting setting. I'm just saying, fuck it, if Bioware wants to do another DA game just make it a full-on action game. Stop with the RTWP, they obviously can't do it right.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, to be honest, Bioware isn't terrible at twitch combat, if they full on commit to a twitch combat. The Mass Effects have a lot of weaknesses, but combat is passable. I'm not saying it's probable, but it's possible for them to do a decent fantasy action game.
You're speaking as if the gameplay designers of ME and DA are fungible and they aren't (especially now that Christina Norman's gone).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You're speaking as if the gameplay designers of ME and DA are fungible and they aren't (especially now that Christina Norman's gone).
You're speaking like a pedant.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're speaking like a pedant.
The DA team's ability to make a good game should be based on the games they've made in the past, not the efforts of those other people sharing the same studio space.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
grr.jpg
Grrrrrr....I'm a shield. Grrrrr!

I wish I could come up with something really negative to say about this game so I could fit in with the cool kids.
Well, it really doesn't say plough quite as often as other games on the market, needs more ploughing for sure.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, to be honest, Bioware isn't terrible at twitch combat, if they full on commit to a twitch combat. The Mass Effects have a lot of weaknesses, but combat is passable.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Oh wait. On your scale "passable" is only slightly above "I want to gouge my eyes out with a fork. Please make it stop."
Ok, forget that I emoticonned your statement.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, to be honest, Bioware isn't terrible at twitch combat, if they full on commit to a twitch combat. The Mass Effects have a lot of weaknesses, but combat is passable.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Oh wait. On your scale "passable is only slightly above "I want to gouge my eyes out with a fork. Please make it stop."
Ok, forget that I emoticonned your statement.
I think the "gouging my eyes out" had more to do with bad, corridory (and bland) map design, which IIRC was more prevalent in ME2 and 3. The gunplay in itself was passable. There was admittedly a cover system but I really don't think one needed to rely on it. It's hardly close to the great shooters of yore, but if you set the criteria that ME gunplay makes you "gouge your eyes out" then there are a lot of other shooters that make me want to commit suicide.

And Roguey , you are right in what you said, definitely. I was just calling you a pedant - for lulz might I add - because you picked a very silly statement of mine to discuss. I see 0% chance they would ever make a full on action DA game, so I was just making a facetious statement that I don't really care to back up.

eremita

Savant
DA:I, more now than ever, looks like a third-person fantasy shooter with nominal RPG elements.

Wouldn't it just make more sense for EA to rename Bioware into DICE Canada?
Really curious here; what exactly, based on the latest video, made you think that? And I'm asking about the nature of the mechanics present in the video, not grotesque animations because those really don't matter in case of gameplay, do they?

Honestly bros, I think the game looks rather decent so far, although the art is quite uninspiring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom