Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And both have shitty DECLINE combat..... Unlike D:OS. :obviously:

Combat video.

They even show more than 5 seconds of that "tactical mode".

Lookin good. So Pillars of Eternity and Inquisition are competitors when it comes to combat. Both RTwP, both party based. I'm interested in finding out which has better/deeper mechanics and better gameplay.:smug:

obviously Obsidian. Kotor 2 , NWN2, Alpha Protocol , DS3 had stellar gameplay and great mechanics
:troll:

And both have shitty DECLINE combat..... Unlike D:OS. :obviously:

ONLY TURD BASED COMBAT. EIN FUEHRER EINE PARTEI EINE NATION:shunthenonbeliever:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And both have shitty DECLINE combat..... Unlike D:OS. :obviously:"

DOS is decline combat. HP bloat, cooldowns, easy combat. OMG! I remember. That's the same shit people whined about DA. Hypocrites. They name is Codex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Watched the video; I love the sound of Roguey being right about how this would ultimately play (i.e. not a full-on action game).

I approve of the increased transparency when it comes to enemy stats.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I was looking at the pocketplane website for mods while putting together a new BGT install and realized how deep the roots of decline are. So many dumb romance and NPC mods

Avellion

Erudite
Combat video.
They even show more than 5 seconds of that "tactical mode".
I love how they keep overusing buzzwords such as choice and tactics (Buzzword when BioWare uses it) throughout the trailer. Almost like they are insecure about the combat system in their product.

And holy hell, that looks really awkward, like some shitty hybrid between RTwP and Action, oh and the controls, the controls man :(

Last edited:

Harold

Arcane
Bioware's audience can't tell the difference between a virtual waifu and a person made of flesh and bones. Do you really expect them to know that there's a difference between strategy and tactics?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Laidlaw said:
I've seen people look at things like the rolling - the dodge, where the rogue rolls to the side. People would say, "That'll never work in tactical." Sure it can! You draw a line AOE to the right and press A to confirm... and when you unpause, he rolls that way! But you have to think it all through. You have to hold yourself to that

Has there ever been another top-down RTwP RPG where you had to do "point and click dodging"?

I think a certain unspoken strength of classic RTwP mechanics was that there was always a strong separation between movement, and everything else. If you wanted to move, you had to actually walk. There were very few, if any, abilities that caused your character to move. BG2 broke this rule sometimes (Ring of the Ram, dragon wing buffets), but those were like the exceptions that proved the rule. That abstraction went a long way towards giving those games a more tactical, wargamey feel.

Laidlaw said:
I've seen people look at things like the rolling - the dodge, where the rogue rolls to the side. People would say, "That'll never work in tactical." Sure it can! You draw a line AOE to the right and press A to confirm... and when you unpause, he rolls that way! But you have to think it all through. You have to hold yourself to that

Has there ever been another top-down RTwP RPG where you had to do "point and click dodging"?

I think a certain unspoken strength of classic RTwP mechanics was that there was always a strong separation between movement, and everything else. If you wanted to move, you had to actually walk. There were very few, if any, abilities that caused your character to move. BG2 broke this rule sometimes (Ring of the Ram, dragon wing buffets), but those were like the exceptions that proved the rule. That abstraction went a long way towards giving those games a more tactical, wargamey feel.
Topdown dodging reminds me more of Crusader games (without pause, ofc), and not RPGs. But I think all this has a simple explanation. Imagine Bio headquarters:
— Hey guys, what does a tactical combat even mean? :retarded:
— Uhhh. Beats me. Journos often prized that old BG game for having it.
— (jots down) OK, so tactical - means isometric camera... and... pa-u-se but-ton. OK, so what does our main competition has which we don't? Great story? Nah, we're Chosen One, it's way better than being some albino freak. Waifus? Nah, We even have hasubandos (mah Iron Bull :oops:). So what do they have, really?
— Ehh... I heard that Geralt can do a barrel roll!
— Ohh, let us add this then! Tactical barrel rolls, GOTY 11/10!!1

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Laidlaw said:

That is even more bullshitty than the usual stuff crawling out of his mouth. Instead of "press X to not die and dodge" you now have "press X to pause the game, draw your flight path, press the awsome button to queue execution, THEN press X to not die and roll". An unnecessary complicated way of forcing some kind of quicktime event into a tactical combat. I didn't think there was actually a way to break tactical combat flow, but... trust Laidlaw to find it.

Has there actually ever been a game where rolling around during combat didn't look utterly retarded and forced? I remember playing Twitcher 2 and thinking: "Boy this is like Fable 3 again" and that is not something you want people to think about your game!

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Why do they bother with this? Everyone has kinect. Everyone has headsets. This is 2014. The future is here.

Just have people shout "Do a barrel roll!".

Every time you open your mouth in a BioWare game, something awesome has to happen.

Avellion

Erudite
Why do they bother with this? Everyone has kinect. Everyone has headsets. This is 2014. The future is here.

Every time you open your mouth in a BioWare game, something awesome has to happen.
Speaking of awesome. Did you see the press A to revive on that video? Looks like the awesome button levelled up scaled up to the rest of the Decline's level.

Rake

Arcane

Even better, have the player do barrel rolls in their living rooms. Think of the IMMERSIOUM

Angthoron

Arcane

Even better, have the player do barrel rolls in their living rooms. Thin of the IMMERSIOUM
Might be a little difficult for some of the fan base. Don't be so privileged.

Rake

Arcane

Even better, have the player do barrel rolls in their living rooms. Thin of the IMMERSIOUM
But they have the right shape already! All they need is put a little force and let nature do the rest.

Shadenuat

Arcane
elvencarpet.jpg

joker.jpg

1279082592656.jpg

DraQ

Arcane

It would glorious.

Most glorious.

Rkbh267.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom