Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Rake

Arcane
If that's the only thing they will pick, then yes, i agree. My fear was that they would try to shoehorn sandbox elements in there as well.

Well I like both styles so I will likely be more forgiving in that area than you, but yes I hope they keep what makes Dragon Age unique, which is the big budget IE style framework.
It's not only a matter of dislike. I have zero confidence in Bioware making a sandbox-lite game by itself, let alone mixing their movie-wannabe direction with a sandbox.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not only a matter of dislike. I have zero confidence in Bioware making a sandbox-lite game by itself, let alone mixing their movie-wannabe direction with a sandbox.

That's actually a good point. The largest areas in DA:O were arguably some of the worst, like that damn werewolf forest. Hopefully they hired some good designers if they really went with big open areas.

I hesitate to mention anything from DA2 in a positive light but that second expansion pack with the redhead assassin had a rather large open area, I think. I remember it being somewhat decent, and that expansion as a whole is by far the best part of that game.

imweasel

I visited the Bioware forums for the first time today, it is now very clear to me why the terms "Biowhore" and "Biodrone" exist.

That forum has been overrun by retarded faggots and dykes, and Bioware embraces these fucktards with endless love. I have always enjoyed Bioware's games, but seeing that they are actually catering to these aggressive and completely retarded homos makes me feel so... dirty. I have to pirate DA:I and then troll about Bioware to clear my conscience. Damn.

A tad of info I picked up during my visit to BSN: There will of course be numerous romances, but there will be more LGBT companions to romance than hetero ones.

set

Cipher
There stands a large divide between "tacticool tbs/rtwp party-based combat" and "buttom mashing with dementia".

DA:O was very much the former (if poorly designed in places), ME1 heavily leaning toward the latter.
DA:2 was very much straddling the line, but about to fall over onto the latter; didn't help it was incoherent. ME2 was completely the latter.
ME3 played just like CoD, DA3 will have very few elements reminiscient of the former.

This is because "only a niche audience buys RPGs", "Non-RPGs have more mass appeal". This is coming from Bioware's internal directors and EA, of course. Should it be stated that at one point BioWare and Obsidian had a shared monopoly on AAA RPGs? But instead of exercising that, they dumbed down their shit with every new iteration (even Obsidian is guilty of this in many respects). BioWare is now directly competing with other AAA releases instead of finding its own ground. This is what will ultimately doom BioWare.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I visited the Bioware forums for the first time today, it is now very clear to me why the terms "Biowhore" and "Biodrone" exist.

That forum has been overrun by retarded faggots and dykes, and Bioware embraces these fucktards with endless love. I have always enjoyed Bioware's games, but seeing that they are actually catering to these aggressive and completely retarded homos makes me feel so... dirty. I have to pirate DA:I and then troll about Bioware to clear my conscience. Damn.

A tad of info I picked up during my visit to BSN: There will of course be numerous romances, but there will be more LGBT companions to romance than hetero ones.

Good. I was worried my Qunari male warrior wouldn't be able to make sweet, sweet dwarf love with Varric.

Not really

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Let me see if I can be a good second rate CrustyBot

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/502779-please-just-copy-dark-souls-1s-melee-as-much-as-possible/

Because dark souls 1 melee was amazing. Having each weapon defined by their reach, speed and move set is a million times more interesting than having a whole bunch of weapons +stat, -stat. To give you an example, in dark souls combat it is usually a really bad idea for a character to be swinging a great sword around in close quarter areas like narrow ledges and stairways, because the sword would just keep on staggering the weilder and tire them out with each swing of the sword swinging into the wall. In that type of envirnoment, the character would do a whole lot better by weilding some sort of thrusting weapon like a spear, or a rapeir which is shorter than a spear but lighter and faster.

This is a party based tactical game, not an action game. Or at least I hope it is. Distinguishing weapons in that way doesn't really make sense in this context

Apparently, tactical games don't have much use for weapon stats aside from POWER and ELEMENTAL DAMAGE.
Dark Souls was abysmal, so no thank you.
I kept rolling into the abyss in Anon Londo, but I don't get it.
Please don't copy anything from common grinders.

Thanks.
Wat.
No health regeneration is bad enough, I don't want no stamina regen + instakill by skeletons in this game on top of that.
Git gud.
Party based combat. Not a twitch-based single player action game.
I should have known we, the Codex, had a common ground with the BSN. Maybe the reason they buy BioWare games is some sort of stockholm syndrome?
Here is the thing, you can't shape events in both settings be it ME and DA, it's a rail road. Just like with DS.
>Someone else answers: Your first paragraph makes absolutely no sense to me.
I know the dev team has stated in the past that they really admire the Souls games for their level cohesion. Keep in mind Dark Souls and Dragon Age worlds are so completely different that Bioware could only try to emulate it in theory.
What do the settings have to do with, fuck it.

The best part is that BioWare already seems to be copying Dark Souls. Good gameplay is good gameplay dammit.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/501953-inventory/
I think inventory is one of the less complex things in games due to it just being a collection of objects. I think where the complexity comes in is the user interface.
Smile and nod.
One of the best things was the way you could move stuff to the junk list . Much easier to go to a merchant and one click and all sold instead of going thru all of your inventory . I have gone back to Skyrim and it`s a pain in the butt to go thru the inventory .
Thank God looting junk was made quick and fun. Scratch that last part.
Epic battle between people who want a grid inventory and those who are happy with a list. Because apparently that could totally help you see the differences between items.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/502648-why-i-love-bioware/
I just wanted to let you guys know the creativity and art I have seen in Dragon Age: Inquisition so far is astounding. You have such a talented team, and I'm just so honored that you guys are willing to let a little bit of each of you enter into my household, and share your amazing ability with me.
Someone loves the fabulous attires, I see.

:Bazrah, did you know Inquisition has been the longest in development game in the history of Bioware. <wall of cocksucking text>

:No it isn't, mate.

:I am just glad Inquisition will be an awesome game, Finally after 3 Years, I can finally play Inquisition. I am just worried about top concerns on Inquistion from DK to Previous saves.

Good to see someone is ever optimistic.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/502734-how-deep-is-your-love-bioware/
Here I was hoping for some circus. And I'm met with this OP:
So we have finally got the scoop on the specializations. What we know so far is that they are three specializations for each class and the character will only be able to choose one per playthrough because of the supposed reactivity that goes with it. This does beg the question of how deep will the skill trees be in this installment? I figure since they are not as much as Dragon age 2 or 1 collectively we should get longer and more thought out specialization trees.

On terms of specialization, it would be amazing if we could use our specialized skills in keep dynamics. If I could send out a hit more efficiently due to my character being well versed in the Assassination that would add a lot to reactivity. As well as adding a layer of more reactivity with extra specialization dialogue options.
About Gameplay. In the BioWare forums, which is actually rare.

I remember that BioWare wasn't very classy with its moderation of the forums, worse still when they had to censor people. But what the fuck just happened?

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/502901-less-experimentation-with-the-formula-in-the-future/
Is anyone else worried that DA2 will be Bioware's last attempt at experimenting with the chosen-one-saves-the-world formula. I mean, they attempted to make something slightly different and few of us bothered to even acknowledge the effort.
Is anyone else worried that they won't ever push the envelope just because DA2 was abysmal??
No, thanks. If I wanted to play the same game again with a different story and maps, I would play Call of Duty or Halo. I liked the changes DA:II brought to the table.
All of them!
The dialogue wheel was a huge change when it became implemented, and it continues to grow and evolve. Combat mechanics have changed drastically between their games and will continue to evolve.
Its like watching the forces of Chaos root for the future of someone's cancer.
I think its great that Bioware has been more and more adventurous with their DLC.
Remember the time of expansions packs? Me neither! Post release content isn't about adding to the original game, but rather creating these bubbles of content that are the only place in the world where stealth can be used.
Less experimentation = Stagnant.
Stagnant = Downfall.
Its almost as if I'm studying a brainwashed bubble community where everyone can't help but repeat the Dogma of Truth and Progress.
I hope they make more use of controllers, specifically the ps3/4

I am replaying DAO and it sucks that they don't make use of the r1/l1 buttons. It'll be perfect for adding your skills/attacks
I wish more people made Experiments® with the mouse and keyboard.
I don't think the problem with da2 was the changes. Despite the fact that I hate that abomination with a burning passion, I actually appreciate their ideas of doing sth other than "saving the world" grand story.
You don't get to pretend that this isn't a saving shit story by limiting the gameworld to merely less than the entire planet.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/5028...ers-to-be-just-like-every-other-bioware-game/
Please let there be butthurt.
Every plot and character Bioware has made is based fairly closely on KotOR and Baldurs Gate 2. It's getting a bit old imo. I'm just saying
Then dont play DA:I
AWAY YOU TRORRR!
That's what the people want.
Awfully self aware, aren't we.
Bioware are prety much the only developers who do this kind of game. I like the format. Start game, gather followers, grow to love/hate the characters, profit.

But they do change the characters up a little, i mean they are difference races and have different agendas and their characters are unique for the most part. The formula is what makes it a Bioware game.
That last paragraph is not just self aware, its like with every phrase he's suddenly remembering he's there to defend BioWare's creativity.
How does DA2 fit into that scheme?
By being horrible.
Formula isn't the same as story. "Gather forces at different hubs to defeat your enemy" is a formula not a story and I see nothing wrong with using that outline.
Thank God that one has no bearing on the other.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Their forum has the worst omega dregs from the gay community and hetero yayoi whales on there obsessed with these brief,shitty and shallow "romances" in BW's games. You even have some of them admitting they only play them for the gay romances(it confirms what many like myself already suspected). It's pretty much why that pile of vomit DA2 is glorified on there.

On top of that, you have people acting like the mage vs templar and elf vs human shit is some kind of real life political issue.

It's strange as heck.

imweasel

Their forum has the worst omega dregs from the gay community and hetero yayoi whales on there obsessed with these brief,shitty and shallow "romances" in BW's games. You even have some of them admitting they only play them for the gay romances(it confirms what many like myself already suspected). It's pretty much why that pile of vomit DA2 is glorified on there.

On top of that, you have people acting like the mage vs templar and elf vs human shit is some kind of real life political issue.

It's strange as heck.
I noticed. They don't discuss gameplay, they just open thread after thread after thread about (gay) romance. There are a few bros there who fight the good fight, but it is hopeless, because their super mod, Allen Schumacher or whatever his name is, always sides with the "omega dregs" and "hetero yayoi whales". Kind of obvious who Bioware thinks their audience is, or wants their audience to be.

I was also amazed how aggressive their gay and lesbian fans are. I mean, I really don't care what they say or do, they are just there and that is fine. But on BSN they are extremely aggressive and take offense when somebody just mentions that he doesn't like gay romance, only to gang up on him and call him a biggot. And then comes Allen Schumacher and sides with the gay community instead of just being neutral. Ugh.

Bioware should remove romance from their games and stop catering to retarded minorities like furries, omega dregs and yayoi whales. After seeing their fan base I can't tolerate that shit anymore. Who the hell pulls the strings there anyway? David Gaider?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but seeing that they are actually catering to these aggressive and completely retarded homos makes me feel so."

Codexian self hatred?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

It's strange as heck.
I noticed. They don't discuss gameplay, they just open thread after thread after thread about (gay) romance. There are a few bros there who fight the good fight, but it is hopeless, because their super mod, Allen Schumacher or whatever his name is, always sides with the "omega dregs" and "hetero yayoi whales". Kind of obvious who Bioware thinks their audience is, or wants their audience to be.

I was also amazed how aggressive their gay and lesbian fans are. I mean, I really don't care what they say or do, they are just there and that is fine. But on BSN they are extremely aggressive and take offense when somebody just mentions that he doesn't like gay romance, only to gang up on him and call him a biggot. And then comes Allen Schumacher and sides with the gay community instead of just being neutral. Ugh.

Bioware should remove romance from their games and stop catering to retarded minorities like furries, omega dregs and yayoi whales. After seeing their fan base I can't tolerate that shit anymore. Who the hell pulls the strings there anyway? David Gaider?

Allan Shoemaker recently banned me for a day when I spoke up against the yuri/yaoi weirdos in a recent thread about the news of orientation of "romances" in DAI on there. :P

Gaider has actually expressed some disgust at the romance creeps, he once remarked along the lines about how they'd screw anything including a "mail box"(likely true). As to who's pulling the strings, it appears that BW itself has devs that are just as weird as it's fanbase(see somethingawful's page on BSN) and has SJW leaning ones like Shoemaker(he once white knighted for Anita on there and banned users who speak against her).

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Last time I was in Edmonton a couple of guys I know at Bioware expressed their distaste for some of the stuff that gets talked about by the fans. I know Gaider was apparently put off by biodrones demanding a large qunari woman to fuck. He can't be that bad since he was alright when he was involved with the community circa Throne of Bhaal.

There are some decent guys there, I don't think that there can be many people at the company who are actually thrilled about their games being fetish fodder. But it does seem they are catering to their audience nonetheless. Get money, fuck bitches, and all that I suppose.

Monocause

Arcane
Creeps at BSN are of both orientations; there isn't really a trend of gay/lesbian people being more aggressive than your average hetero Tali fan. It's the entire bunch that's singularly messed up and vicious when on the defence.

Regarding the "I don't like gay romance" people - I don't know about BSN as I've barely visited that place but that stuff pops up all over the internets in the context of different games and no, these people aren't "reasonable" or "just sharing their opinion". What most of them are essentially saying is "I don't like fags yo".

The thing is - you can come up with valid critique of romance depictions in video game, but singling out gay romance can have no valid basis. There's no difference between arguing particularily against gay romance in video games, arguing against women in the workplace or arguing against blacks catching the same bus. Same shit, different times.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Key difference between between the gay romance creeps(including hetero yuri/yaoi types) and the straight ones is that the latter doesn't paint their want of jack off material as some bullshit battle of "equality' or some social issue.

And the Tali "Would you fuck her up the ass?" types(I've actually seen that Lol) tend to stick to their own singular thread or group and don't turn the main section into a battleground for their kinks.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Last time I was in Edmonton a couple of guys I know at Bioware expressed their distaste for some of the stuff that gets talked about by the fans. I know Gaider was apparently put off by biodrones demanding a large qunari woman to fuck. He can't be that bad since he was alright when he was involved with the community circa Throne of Bhaal.

There are some decent guys there, I don't think that there can be many people at the company who are actually thrilled about their games being fetish fodder. But it does seem they are catering to their audience nonetheless. Get money, fuck bitches, and all that I suppose.

Even if they don't include a Qunari waifu,the fans will have a workaround due to the fact that you can play as one and fuck whatever manfu/waifu companion that's available(as if BW would include racial preferences in 'mances).

And I can imagine the more sensible people like Gaider are put off by these creeps being more interested in minor fan service than the nitty gritty of their games that they've poured their real work into.

Key difference between between the gay romance creeps(including hetero yuri/yaoi types) and the straight ones is that the latter doesn't paint their want of jack off material as some bullshit battle of "equality' or some social issue.

Because they don't need to, being the norm. The former need to resort to this sort of tactic for their jack off material to be taken in consideration.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Because they don't need to, being the norm. The former need to resort to this sort of tactic for their jack off material to be taken in consideration.

Which leads to the issue that they expect to be catered to equally in a luxury item based on supply and demand. They bitch even when they're given two gay/bi 'mances (DAO/ME3).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only reason I would ever point out the gay romances in particular is in the case of a Dragon Age 2 where every single companion is bisexual and is super eager to let you know about it. That was a little too much of a hammer to the face for me.

Otherwise the romances in general are what I bitch about.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Which leads to the issue that they expect to be catered to equally in a luxury item based on supply and demand. They bitch even when they're given two gay/bi 'mances (DAO/ME3).
And what's the deal with black people? I mean we let some of them into white universities and now it's like all of them want to go. Some people just need to learn their place.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only reason I would ever point out the gay romances in particular is in the case of a Dragon Age 2 where every single companion is bisexual and is super eager to let you know about it. That was a little too much of a hammer to the face for me.

Some of them were player-sexual not bi +M

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
Yeah, that's another fucked up explanation from the people who gave us "we built these synthetics to kill you and save you from getting killed by synthetics you'd eventually have built yourself" -logic.

So if ever you replay a BioWare quest with renegade/evul options and find out that the NPC you helped in your paragon playthrough apparently duped you, and used your assistance to murder the orphans he'd previously said he wanted to save ... that doesn't mean he in fact kills the orphans when you do his quest. What it apparently means is he's a member of the new "player centric" alignment and whether he gives a kitten to each orphan or gouges their eyes out depends on player dialog (not 'influence' based either).

Kidd

Educated

Honest question, where's your limit? Only Isabela makes her orientation known in all playthroughs, with Anders doing the same if you're playing a male character and pick diplomatic options when talking to him after his first companion quest. Isabela brings it up in banter and stuff all the time since sex is all she talks about, but Anders never mentions liking men again if you reject him that one time.

Essentially, 1.5 out of 9 companions mention not being straight. Is that really too much? Go on and hate on the romances if you don't like them, I'm just curious when things break down for you when it comes to LGB content.

Xeon

Augur
I don't know why you get rivalry points when rejecting Anders. Its not that big of a deal but I kinda don't like how someone supposedly getting that pissed just from telling him, no thanks, I am straight.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honest question, where's your limit? Only Isabela makes her orientation known in all playthroughs, with Anders doing the same if you're playing a male character and pick diplomatic options when talking to him after his first companion quest. Isabela brings it up in banter and stuff all the time since sex is all she talks about, but Anders never mentions liking men again if you reject him that one time.

Essentially, 1.5 out of 9 companions mention not being straight. Is that really too much? Go on and hate on the romances if you don't like them, I'm just curious when things break down for you when it comes to LGB content.

All the companions getting endless heart dialogs bugged me. No, they don't go away if you ignore them once, not all of them anyway. It felt unrealistic and stupid that they were all Hawke-sexual. I don't really give a fuck if you disagree, nor do I give a fuck if you choose to frame that as some kind of pent-up homophobia. I'm 100% okay with well-written homosexual characters. I am not okay with sexbots eager to come on to me filling up my entire roster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom