Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not that I'm principally against piracy (for demo-ing purposes only), it's just that it's no longer necessary in this world of over-abundant information thrown at you, already laying out everything you need to know or just outright killing off all excitement you might have had for a game before it's even released. That's particularly true about those "games" that can be re-experienced via youtube or use lazy braindead copy&paste formula in design and narrative. It's just a fucking waste of time.

This is my thought process. The days where I needed to play a game to really get a sense of whether I would like it or not are over. An hour of unedited gameplay footage tells you everything you need to know, really. I pirate a lot of older games that are no longer sold, though. And I hope the "scene" stays intact so that modern games are available DRM free long after their activation servers die.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3432915

AusGamers: In the previous games player characters were always capable of using Blood Magic but that seems counter to the role of a head inquisitor. Will Blood Magic be available to the player character? If it is, how will that impact the world?

Cameron: Blood magic is an interesting one. Pure blood magic in the lore of the game is really supposed to be a very evil power. In previous games it wasn't really perceived to be that way. We talked about it being that way in the lore, we'd talk about crazy mages who went down the blood magic route and how that would have nasty consequences. So in Inquisition if we can't bring that across, that consequence across then we won't do it. We're looking at a couple of different options that still give that quasi-evil kind of fantasy element without trying to go into the nitty gritty of blood magic conflicting with other elements, but we haven't landed on which one's going to be there.

So we recognise the problem and we're very cognisant of the fact that we may not be able to do blood magic, but we would certainly replace it with something pretty bad arse. I've seen some concepts of what that could be... I personally play evil people in games, and I've always been a blood mage, and I'd be quite happy to play these ones as well. Look ultimately the Inquisition is something that stands apart from the Chantry, so it's not like you as a player are beholden to them or beholden to being always good--you can be whatever you want to be. And if I want to be this bad arse necromancer kind of guy who fiddles with the spirit world I'm going to do it, because ultimately I'm going to do what has to be done to face this threat of the massive breach in the sky that threatens to swallow the world but also the threat of who is the puppet master behind that and all the other events that are taking place in the world at this time.

You certainly see a lot of different factions who would be able to step up and face this threat but are in a position of weakness for a number of different reasons. So someone is clearly behind all this, and that person is our main enemy in the game, and we have to do what we have to do. That's the loophole of the Inquisition, that they have the freedom to do what has to be done.

AusGamers: Game of Thrones has thrust the politics of fantasy worlds into the forefront of how people think about them, and the Player Character in Inquisition is the leader of a fairly political faction. Will politics play a large role in the game?

Cameron: Yes it does. There are a couple of different facets from that. There is one plot in particular which is very much a political plot, it's very much backroom deals and court intrigue and how you influence people based on your reputation. Sort of what can you pull off and at what cost to other people? There's a whole plot dedicated to that kind of experience, and it's bloody as well. Like Game of Thrones, I guess, is definitely a bloody type of politics--it's similar with us. Dragon Age has always had the blood and gore and the dark concept of politics and this plot is a great representation of that.

You mention that the Inquisition is a powerful political faction and that is absolutely true. All throughout the game you will slowly build up the Inquisition to be in a position of power, people recognise you for who you are and what authority you wield. The Inquisition has three main pillars right, they have a military force lead by one particular character, you've got a secret facet with spies and assassins lead by Leliana from DAO and then you've got a political pillar, which is all about the politics, the backroom deals and the connections you have... not just through nobles but also through merchant houses and stuff like that. And the area you decide to invest in both in terms of how you decide to grow and customise your Inquisition but also the types of content you decide to engage in is all up to the player. So if someone wants to play that kind of Game of Thrones-y political aspect they can definitely do it and that flavours the whole game and it impacts the whole game. They're still going to have to go around and kill some things themselves, but having that powerful political organisation will be reflected as well.

(excerpt from GameBanshee)

Brinko

Arcane
Every time I read these "previews" I keep thinking they just stapled ME3's plot onto this game and they are hoping no one is going to notice. I hope the script gets leaked just like ME3 did so nerds with more time than braincells can compare the two and fine no difference.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'm still waiting for someone to ask the obvious. Such as will we be able to actually play an inquisition or are you just picking a name coz it sounds cool? Pyres, heretics, hot irons, women issues. You know the drill.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3432915

AusGamers: In the previous games player characters were always capable of using Blood Magic but that seems counter to the role of a head inquisitor. Will Blood Magic be available to the player character? If it is, how will that impact the world?

Cameron: Blood magic is an interesting one. Pure blood magic in the lore of the game is really supposed to be a very evil power. In previous games it wasn't really perceived to be that way. We talked about it being that way in the lore, we'd talk about crazy mages who went down the blood magic route and how that would have nasty consequences. So in Inquisition if we can't bring that across, that consequence across then we won't do it. We're looking at a couple of different options that still give that quasi-evil kind of fantasy element without trying to go into the nitty gritty of blood magic conflicting with other elements, but we haven't landed on which one's going to be there.

So we recognise the problem and we're very cognisant of the fact that we may not be able to do blood magic, but we would certainly replace it with something pretty bad arse. I've seen some concepts of what that could be... I personally play evil people in games, and I've always been a blood mage, and I'd be quite happy to play these ones as well. Look ultimately the Inquisition is something that stands apart from the Chantry, so it's not like you as a player are beholden to them or beholden to being always good--you can be whatever you want to be. And if I want to be this bad arse necromancer kind of guy who fiddles with the spirit world I'm going to do it, because ultimately I'm going to do what has to be done to face this threat of the massive breach in the sky that threatens to swallow the world but also the threat of who is the puppet master behind that and all the other events that are taking place in the world at this time.

You certainly see a lot of different factions who would be able to step up and face this threat but are in a position of weakness for a number of different reasons. So someone is clearly behind all this, and that person is our main enemy in the game, and we have to do what we have to do. That's the loophole of the Inquisition, that they have the freedom to do what has to be done.
(excerpt from GameBanshee)

I like how midway through answering the question he pretty much just goes "shut the fuck up, we know best and Inquisition is SPESHUL so they can do it!". Good old Bioware. Good interview though, if only to see the guy double speak his way through most questions.

Dragon Age is not a High Fantasy sort of game, it's more grounded in reality... I guess... I mean not reality, you can shoot fireballs out of your hands... but there is that sense that it's more grounded, it's more real, it's more gritty, it's more natural. So we walk that line between being fantastical--and the Fade is definitely that--and our darker grittier sort of wilderness stuff. All these games sort of influence us in some form or another.

:troll:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Listening to Canadians talk about grittiness is fucking adorable. Oh you guys! Never change!

There was nothing particularly gritty or dark or grimdark or real or sophisticated about DA:O or DA2. They broke no new ground.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
This game is going to be gritty as shit, but in a good way. The grittiness is really grounded in equality. Letting you fuck a gay elf for a dexterity bonus? Now that's gritty! Doesn't get any grittier! It's the grittiest!

Delterius

Arcane
Cameron: Not really... we look at all RPGs, from big to small... and not even RPGs have influenced our game.

I can make decisions or I can take actions in these games and a lot of the time people don't notice or they don't care, you certainly can't have a physical impact on the world.

How fun it is to remove words from their context. :smug:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like the sounds of political faction play. Probably one of my favorite things to do in any RPG period is play different political factions against each other.

eremita

Savant
Frankly, I don't think this game's gonna be shit. There is no indication of troubled development (like not enough time/ budget, archaic engines etc.). They had a lot of time, a lot of money and the best technology you can possibly get in the industry. It might be average, it might be generic (which is basically mainstream's BEST EVAHH) and goofy, but it's very unlikely it's gonna be a huge letdown or failure. You would have to be a really really untalented, incompetent and disorganized bunch of cunts to ultimately fuck it all up in this kind of environment... And as much as it might be difficult to admit, Bioware is not that. It's very likely that this game's gonna average/bland at worst (by Codex standards) and decent at best.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Frankly, I don't think this game's gonna be shit. There is no indication of troubled development (like not enough time/ budget, archaic engines etc.). They had a lot of time, a lot of money and the best technology you can possibly get in the industry. It might be average, it might be generic (which is basically mainstream's BEST EVAHH) and goofy, but it's very unlikely it's gonna be a huge letdown or failure. You would have to be a really really untalented, incompetent disorganized bunch of cunts to ultimately fuck it all up in this kind of environment... And as much as it might be difficult to admit, Bioware is not that. It's very likely that this game's gonna average at worst and decent at best.

It's not about lack of talent necessarily, but what their goals are. If this is a cinematic romance movie that focuses on console combat then most people here will hate it, no matter how "well made" it is with those goals in mind. If however it's more like DA:O and the gameplay is the focus then sure, I might really like it. It's a total toss-up on what this game even is until they show a long portion of unedited gameplay video.

eremita

Savant
Frankly, I don't think this game's gonna be shit. There is no indication of troubled development (like not enough time/ budget, archaic engines etc.). They had a lot of time, a lot of money and the best technology you can possibly get in the industry. It might be average, it might be generic (which is basically mainstream's BEST EVAHH) and goofy, but it's very unlikely it's gonna be a huge letdown or failure. You would have to be a really really untalented, incompetent disorganized bunch of cunts to ultimately fuck it all up in this kind of environment... And as much as it might be difficult to admit, Bioware is not that. It's very likely that this game's gonna average at worst and decent at best.

It's not about lack of talent necessarily, but what their goals are. If this is a cinematic romance movie that focuses on console combat then most people here will hate it, no matter how "well made" it is with those goals in mind. If however it's more like DA:O and the gameplay is the focus then sure, I might really like it. It's a total toss-up on what this game even is until they show a long portion of unedited gameplay video.
True dat. I guess with all that "Skyrim inspiration" on the one hand and typical Bioware stuff on the other, it's gonna be a mixed bag...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Frankly, I don't think this game's gonna be shit. There is no indication of troubled development (like not enough time/ budget, archaic engines etc.). They had a lot of time, a lot of money and the best technology you can possibly get in the industry. It might be average, it might be generic (which is basically mainstream's BEST EVAHH) and goofy, but it's very unlikely it's gonna be a huge letdown or failure. You would have to be a really really untalented, incompetent and disorganized bunch of cunts to ultimately fuck it all up in this kind of environment... And as much as it might be difficult to admit, Bioware is not that. It's very likely that this game's gonna average/bland at worst (by Codex standards) and decent at best.

That is a valid point. Also don't forget they fired cunts like Hamburger Herpler, Chris Priestly and that stupid arrogant chink fuck Stanley Woo. So perhaps there's hope for BioWare to regain some lost ground. I definitely like the comeback of the Baldur's Gate style area-exploration that Frostbite 3 allows. Good mix of exploration and exposition.

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
I think Volourn just experienced a spontaneous emission

Rake

Arcane

True dat. I guess with all that "Skyrim inspiration" on the one hand and typical Bioware stuff on the other, it's gonna be a mixed bag...
It's gonna mix two different kinds of shit.
This "Skyrim inspiration" is what has me worried, even more so than the DA2 disaster

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If I recall correctly the whole Skyrim inspiration thing was about larger areas. They wanted to create a large, open world Skyrim feel in each zone, rather than a bunch of smaller zones. And I'm supportive of that for sure.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

IT's gonna mix two different kinds of shit.
This "Skyrim inspiration" is what has me worried, even more so than the DA2 disaster
I dunno man, if you locked me in a room and told me I could only play one of those two games for the rest of my life, I'd pick Skyrim over DA2 in half a second. There are worse things than trying to shoehorn some open-world shit into your game.

Rake

Arcane
If I recall correctly the whole Skyrim inspiration thing was about larger areas. They wanted to create a large, open world Skyrim feel in each zone, rather than a bunch of smaller zones. And I'm supportive of that for sure.
If that's the only thing they will pick, then yes, i agree. My fear was that they would try to shoehorn sandbox elements in there as well.

Decado I found them the same level of shit, with the difference i somehow managed to finish DA2 (i regret it though).

set

Cipher

They wanted to copy the best-selling ""RPG"" of all time. Simple as that. It's why they made ME and went afterr COD and why DA2 was so CODlike.

imweasel

IT's gonna mix two different kinds of shit.
I dunno man, if you locked me in a room and told me I could only play one of those two games for the rest of my life, I'd pick Skyrim over DA2 in half a second. There are worse things than trying to shoehorn some open-world shit into your game.
A bullet wound to the head would have been the correct choice in such a situation.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If that's the only thing they will pick, then yes, i agree. My fear was that they would try to shoehorn sandbox elements in there as well.

Well I like both styles so I will likely be more forgiving in that area than you, but yes I hope they keep what makes Dragon Age unique, which is the big budget IE style framework.

imweasel

I don't think anybody could survive on Doritos and Skyrim alone, you'd need some Mountain Dew to prevent dehydration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom