Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Tytus

Arcane
Half the Codex will buy this day one because Bioware is the James Cameron of RPG development.

Dialogue hokey? Characters cartoony? Story pedestrian? Trendy populist themes? Doesn't matter. The technical detail and visual storytelling that goes into the world building is so viscerally appealing that its a day one purchase for a majority of RPG fans.

No.

Lots of people will Day 1 Pirate it, though.
Depends what games will be out at that moment realy. If W2 or DOS are out sooner, but not soon enought to have them finished by October, i'll wait to pirate the patched, final version(DLC included).
Sadly, paying for this is out of the question even if they somehow manage to make a good game, because fuck Origin. Well, who cares. EA's loss.

You can always buy the console version :troll:
Now that's a good suggestion.Unfortunently i don't have a console :(
plus the only reason i'm even shlightly interested in playing this game is that i can play it exclusively in top down,"tactical" view, which propably won't mess well with consoles

You are not playing it for the waifus? What is wrong with you?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
vauoyx.jpg
that depth/perspective fail with the boat and the frontmost castle is cringeworthy.

eremita

Savant
But why did Bioware choose the "Raining demons" plot? I can think of one justified reason and if that's the case, it's actually pretty thoughtful. The problem with vast majority open RPGs is the ridiculous amount of killing. Look at the fucking Skyrim for example, sure, you kill spiders and shit, but you also commit multiple genocides on sentient creatures (who are not really acting as one, but that's for different discussion)... It's rather silly really - there is no fucking logic to that world (it's neither undiscovered nor post-apocalyptic). Or in other words, the "running around and killing stuff" design doesn't make much sense in majority of game worlds. It's too video-gamy. They do it because that's what you do.... So you can either make a game where endless killing is not a pillar, or you could justify that endless killing. If you tear your world apart, you have a 1) good reason why there are monsters everywhere to kill 2) why there are sociopolitical conflicts, bandits, rebels and general conflicts born of desperation.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You can have that without inferring an apocalypse every other game. Nah, this is just Bioware deciding to crank it up to EPIC all the way. Again. Which is a whole devaluation of the thing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
that depth/perspective fail with the boat and the frontmost castle is cringeworthy.

Here's a dump from the Lead Concept Artist. There's some neat stuff in there. Seems like they started out with the same art style DA2 began with before they switched that (and this) to a more generic style. For the better? Dunno. I kinda like the cartoony style some of it has.

http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.nl/2013_08_01_archive.html

Btw, that link shows ancient secrets of ancient civilisations confirmed as part of the plot. Moar EPIC.

Also another, albeit very short, interview here. At least attacking a dragon won't just be all about bringing its HP to 0. Wish someone would take lessons from Dragon's Dogma in regard to battling big bad baddies though.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/22/how-dragon-age-inquisition-improves-dragon-combat

Last edited:

LivingOne

Savant
*ahem*

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/502738-bioware-characters-will-have-one-sexual-orientation/

Bioware - "Characters will have one sexual orientation"
ttp://www.ausgamers...ntation-bioware

From article:

"In a forthcoming AusGamers interview with Aussie expat and BioWare producer Cameron Lee, it was revealed the normally ambiguous approach to in-game romance in the realm of sexuality would be receiving a more specific option allowing for more complex relationships.

"The romances are more complex both in type of romances going forward and how you go through that romance," Lee explained to us. "The different types of sexual orientation of the different kinds of characters around you is also more complex than in previous games. I think there's going to be a lot more realistic... realistic... you know what I mean -- anyway, more engaging and more involved than in previous games. That's definitely the goal, and we are definitely going to go out there with some characters just being one sexual orientation. And that previously wasn't the case. The real world reflects that so we're going to make a game that reflects that as well."

Dragon Age has always been known as an open and ambiguous beast where sexuality is concerned, and romance will continue to play a major role, only in more complex form built from the real-world. Hopefully this speaks volumes of the evolution and maturity of the series where Inquisition is concerned.

We'll have more from Cameron Lee soon, so stay tuned."

Thoughts? Personally, I cool with this. It gives me more incentive to play different characters and classes. I will never understand why some people refuse to play anything other that their gender choice. You AREN'T the Inqusitior, you're just playing as him/her.

^
first post Posted Today, 01:43 AM

1028 replies to this topic

most recent post:
Posted Today, 10:59 AM

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/balancing-freedom-and-story-in-dragon-age-inquisition/1100-6419121/

Finally, I asked if Inquisition was intended to serve as the epic conclusion of a trilogy of games, or to just be another story set in the same world as the earlier Dragon Age games.

"Dragon Age was never intended to be a trilogy. We've always really looked at Dragon Age as the story of a world as opposed to the story of a character. That's one of the reasons why we change characters between games. So, no, this isn't the wrap-up of a trilogy. We have an overarching story arc. We are going somewhere with the storytelling. But this game isn't a conclusion."

End of Jade Empire II.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You beat me to it, LivingOne I'm getting rusty. :oops:

(It's at 55 pages now by the way)

He said he didn't like men. That's not enough evidence to conclude anything. Sexuality does not exist on a heteronormative tri-nary of gay/bi/straight. Based on the limited information we have about Oghren, there are still dozens of labels he could potentially fit, assuming he fits any.

:thumbsup:

Rake

Arcane
You beat me to it, LivingOne I'm getting rusty. :oops:

(It's at 55 pages now by the way)

He said he didn't like men. That's not enough evidence to conclude anything. Sexuality does not exist on a heteronormative tri-nary of gay/bi/straight. Based on the limited information we have about Oghren, there are still dozens of labels he could potentially fit, assuming he fits any.

:thumbsup:
Genuinely curious. If someone says he doesn't like men, what are all these "dozens of labels he could potentially fit"
I propably don't want to know, but can't help but wonder...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Half the Codex will buy this day one because Bioware is the James Cameron of RPG development.

Dialogue hokey? Characters cartoony? Story pedestrian? Trendy populist themes? Doesn't matter. The technical detail and visual storytelling that goes into the world building is so viscerally appealing that its a day one purchase for a majority of RPG fans.

No.

Lots of people will Day 1 Pirate it, though.

Piracy is a dying practice, but I suppose so.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
If they are smart, they will release a demo. It is the only way to bring back (some of) the potential buyers they ostracized with that gooey truck rest stop abortion known as "Dragon Age 2."

Wasteland 2
If they are smart, they will release a demo. It is the only way to bring back (some of) the potential buyers they ostracized with that gooey truck rest stop abortion known as "Dragon Age 2."

You seriously underestimate sheeple instinct, they don't have to do anything, from marketing materials it is obvious it's a lot more polished product than DA2 and with higher production values, that is enough.
By the way, demos are probably responsible for more lost sales than gained ones, that is why publishers are reluctant to release one, but mostly they're irrelevant because almost no one bother playing them.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
But why did Bioware choose the "Raining demons" plot? I can think of one justified reason and if that's the case, it's actually pretty thoughtful. The problem with vast majority open RPGs is the ridiculous amount of killing. Look at the fucking Skyrim for example, sure, you kill spiders and shit, but you also commit multiple genocides on sentient creatures (who are not really acting as one, but that's for different discussion)... It's rather silly really - there is no fucking logic to that world (it's neither undiscovered nor post-apocalyptic). Or in other words, the "running around and killing stuff" design doesn't make much sense in majority of game worlds. It's too video-gamy. They do it because that's what you do.... So you can either make a game where endless killing is not a pillar, or you could justify that endless killing. If you tear your world apart, you have a 1) good reason why there are monsters everywhere to kill 2) why there are sociopolitical conflicts, bandits, rebels and general conflicts born of desperation.

Or, you know, they could try and diversify the game play. Not every quest needs to be restricted to a dungeon/copy_pasta_house_full_of_monsters #14 run with an end boss. Might even better the story.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Piracy is a dying practice...

...said no one, ever

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/387742/piracys-dying-why-we-re-all-going-straight

I think that''s a Euro-centric analysis. Piracy in the United States has fallen even harder.

Aside from improved services, there's also a generational gap. The generation that pioneered piracy are growing into "responsible members of society" and the generation following them have grown up in an age where software has been streamlined. They don't know how to function outside Netflix or off a cellphone.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
By the way, demos are probably responsible for more lost sales than gained ones, that is why publishers are reluctant to release one, but mostly they're irrelevant because almost no one bother playing them.

Do you have any data to back this up? I have at least one study (mine) that indicates that gamers feel demos are the best way to learn about a game before purchase, and they indicate a high level of willingness to play them.

Publishers are reluctant to release demos because it takes time away from development. You basically have to do all the shit you do at crunch time, a few months before the game is actually finished, in order to make a playable "minigame."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Piracy is a dying practice...

...said no one, ever

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/387742/piracys-dying-why-we-re-all-going-straight

I think that''s a Euro-centric analysis. Piracy in the United States has fallen even harder.

Aside from improved services, there's also a generational gap. The generation that pioneered piracy are growing into "responsible members of society" and the generation following them have grown up in an age where software has been streamlined. They don't know how to function outside Netflix or off a cellphone.

There is a difference between death and reaching a consistent plateau.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
The big publishing companies are slowly but surely winning the "war" against piracy, at least in the US. Software-as-a-service has largely demolished the old ways of distributing pirated materials. Which, frankly, I'm okay with. Because I think pirating games is a shitty thing to do, and people who do it are dicks. There are some extenuating circumstances here, but if you are pirating a game as an act of social rebellion or economic pressure, you are largely failing at your task. And you're an asshole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom