Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Realism, maybe.
Bland, by any measure no. From Reviews to fans, just having one amazing place might be enough. Even when it came to Skyrim it was praised and liked. not that they did something amazing, but they had a couple of good pieces.

There was an interview with Todd Howard I think when Skyrim was coming out where he said they didn't think the mass market would accept something as weird as Morrowind but they wanted to be a little stranger than Oblivion, and Skyrim was their happy medium. So that concept of Xbox bros disliking weird settings is definitely out there.

kris

Arcane
Then I get what you mean. Morrowind is basically an alien world. I am thinking more about artistical merit and creative talent to come up with interesting and nice looking places.

Unwanted

Jacqueline

Andhaira
Andhaira
HQrQHDF.jpg

i cannot belive that this is an official screenshot of a frostbite game, was it not supposed to be all pretty and stuff? this is awful.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
even ingoring the shitty textures (on the wheat especially, wtf bioware, this isn't early 2000) the picture looks bad. a badly modeled and textured scarecrow in a field in focus with some ruins and mountians in the back. wow. shit blows me off my feet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is very important that people realize that textures on a photo are the #1 component of what makes a cRPG. Just a Public Service Announcement™

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it's not like we have very much else to make fun of at the moment.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is very important that people realize that textures on a photo are the #1 component of what makes a cRPG. Just a Public Service Announcement™

Coming up on 4 years posting here and a few lurking before that and the amount of graphics whoring still surprises me.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
yeah, i'm sure the game will make up for its subpar graphics with deep gameplay and great writing that will have you emotionally engaged*.

you'll most likely also be able to enslave nations with necromancy.

*might or might not involve sucking lots of dick

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
People are asking Bioware to write their characters as actual characters that one can relate to/sympathize with/be disgusted at. Like mentioned before, presenting waiters as exploited and hard working human beings, or whores as desperate lethargic corpses. That's like asking a fat neckbeard dwelling in a basement to write a book about life style or dietetics.

No matter what, Bioware neither can write likeable characters, nor can they make fantasy work because they lack the intuition and imagination at both fictional and non-fictional narrative. They always have to impose their shitty distorted liberal views that they absorb from Netflix shows, Hollywood and MSM and then tie it into their shitty games.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Coming up on 4 years posting here and a few lurking before that and the amount of graphics whoring still surprises me.

Complaining about blurry textures is silly indeed. But there is such a thing as aesthethics and artstyles, and those can be an invaluable part of a game's experience, and are far too often overlooked here.
And in that regard Bioware could use a great deal of work indeed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Complaining about blurry textures is silly indeed. But there is such a thing as aesthethics and artstyles, and those can be an invaluable part of a game's experience, and are far too often overlooked here.
And in that regard Bioware could use a great deal of work indeed.

Well I complained about their bland design a few pages ago, so yeah I get that. I was specifically responding to the texture bitching.

No matter what, Bioware neither can write likeable characters

Viconia, Minsc, Sarevok, Korgan, Edwin, Jan, Hk-47, Juhani, Jolee, Morigan, Oghren, Varrick, Arishok, Liara, Garus, Wrex, Mordin...

inb4 " i dont remember any of those you listed":M

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stereotypical drow we've seen a million times before. She's also a bitch. What's there to like?

LOL HE SAID SPACE HAMSTER BEST CHARACTER EVER 11/10

You might as well have said Malak. He's practically the same character, and just as likable.

No.

LOL HE SAID TURNIP BEST CHARACTER EVER 10000/10

Doesn't count when everything memorable about the character comes from the Obsidian version.

I had to look this character up because I had forgotten she even existed.

Ahahahahahahaha. No.

Not memorable in the slightest, much less likable.

Left no impact on me whatsoever.

Which version? The original, the psychotic bitch from ME2, or the idiot who forgets she's the shadow broker from ME3? Nevermind, they all suck.

Only the ME2 and ME3 versions, and even then he only stands out because nearly all the other characters are terrible.

I will give you these.

Lhynn

Arcane
Viconia was a good character, liara only in ME1. On the rest i agree with xor.

G0-T0 rapes all of them.

Agreed. He's probably one of the most unfairly overlooked characters in gaming, because the influence choices required to get a genuine grasp on what he's doing and why are at odds with the influence choices of some of the more obviously appealing characters who you've gotten into before you can recruit him (though the fact you're recruiting the guy that has essentially been the 'boss' of one of the game hubs should tell you that he's a bigger player in things than he's letting on).

A lot of players would also bypass his influence choices because he's not an easy character to pick out at first - like several of the best of KoTOR2's characters, he isn't placed on a good-evil axis. And the really awesome part - his connection to a certain early-game fetch quest, is very very easy to miss. Preserve and rebuild the republic - not the light side, or the dark side, but an ordered, stable and sustainable economic union. And when the official channels for trade and diplomacy have fallen into disrepair, and a droid calculates that a crime empire is necessary to preserve the republic's flow of goods and information, you've got a basis for a very neat character...

...that would have been a lot better if they'd fucking completed the 3-way droid standoff that was to determine whether Bao-Dur ends up reactivating the WMD that's haunted him through the game, that the game repeatedly prods you to answer 'would you do it again', instead of sending out an incomplete end-game map!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stereotypical drow we've seen a million times before. She's also a bitch. What's there to like?

LOL HE SAID SPACE HAMSTER BEST CHARACTER EVER 11/10

You might as well have said Malak. He's practically the same character, and just as likable.

No.

LOL HE SAID TURNIP BEST CHARACTER EVER 10000/10

Doesn't count when everything memorable about the character comes from the Obsidian version.

I had to look this character up because I had forgotten she even existed.

Ahahahahahahaha. No.

Not memorable in the slightest, much less likable.

Left no impact on me whatsoever.

Which version? The original, the psychotic bitch from ME2, or the idiot who forgets she's the shadow broker from ME3? Nevermind, they all suck.

Only the ME2 and ME3 versions, and even then he only stands out because nearly all the other characters are terrible.
What a great argument: I don't like them so they are shit. These characters might be not unique, but they still are fun to play with (at least most of them).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom