Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

I'm not sure but I don't think a prostitute's skillset is fit for the adventuring life. They can probably cast some healing spells to take care of STDs, but what else? Bards are already in charge of keeping the party's morale up.

eremita

Savant
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/501562-better-representation-of-sex-workers/

This is something I only recently noticed, but now that I have, it really bothers me.

Both main Dragon Age games, and I think at least two games in the Mass Effect series, allow the player to visit a brothel or strip club, and allow the player to solicit the services of a prostitute, or get a private dance. A lot of games do this, actually. Bioware aren't even the worst offenders. But I'm posting here because it seems like they are the most likely to listen to what I'm going to say.

Thing is, I have RL friends who work in the sex industry; prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations. Some of them are gamers, and yes, they even play Bioware games.

Because I have the privilege of knowing these individuals, I am privy to first-hand accounts of how exploitative and dangerous the sex industry can be, and I'm also aware of the stigma that surrounds people who try to leave the sex industry and get "legitimate" jobs.

Given the trend so far, I expect Inquisition is going to include a brothel. And maybe it's too late now for any changes to be made, but nevertheless, I am requesting that, going forward, Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes.

ScottishMartialArts

:troll:
Jesus fuck those losers! If someone gives you crap because you are/were whore/manwhore, take it like a man. "prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations." - :D This is the best. "Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes" - Yeah, let's do that! Let's show how deep the whore is when she's not busy sucking dicks. :thumbsup:
It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
What so special about about that industry? In other words, why should anyone take effort to show, that not all whores are shallow amoral dummies? Not all of them are... And? There are real social issues and then there's good old whining... Sex workers as a result of poor education and poverty? Sure. That's a real issue. I can imagine a character with subplot like that. But that's not really about sex industry now, is it?

But no, let's take a look at this poor law student and hobo helper, who also happens to showing her tits on the internet... She really struggles because some retards are giving her hard time about her nudity. What an unfair society!

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What so special about about that industry? In other words, why should anyone take effort to show, that not all whores are shallow amoral dummies? Not all of them are... And?
If you have the capacity to make a character more interesting, you should do it. If a character is exclusively their profession, they're probably not very good.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't mind the idea, making character more human/interesting and less like cardboard cut outs is a good thing, but here's his rationale:

"Right, but shopkeepers aren't demeaned or belittled in media and real life. Shopkeepers aren't forced into their profession out of sheer desperation, and shopkeepers who leave the shopkeeping industry don't suffer social stigma when they speak out about their shopkeeping experiences.

Basically, the representation of shopkeepers in media doesn't hurt shopkeepers in real life the same way that the representation of sex workers does.

Here's a thought: maybe the life story of a prostitute should be made important to the narrative. Maybe all narratives should consider the impact they might have on the people who read them and society at large."

"Sex workers.

Obviously you don't care, or you would've used more respectful terminology in the first place, but you are talking about a group of people that includes individuals that I know and care about in real life.

So yes, how my friends are represented in Dragon Age, a game that I talked them into purchasing because of how inclusive it is, means a damn sight more to me than... darkspawn designs or whatever stupid bullshit you think needs fixing."

:codexisfor:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
The very fact that such topic surfaced on BSN is a great example for us all. I al too lazy to read all this biodrone brain juice but does someone mentioned CIS scum and transgender rights already?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
i don't know about you, but i will not tolerate a ex prostitute party member.

and before the wcd brofists come in just let me clarify: this is a bioware game, which means its gonna have bioware npcs, which means this "ex" hooker will not put out until you've given her/him/it/xeir at least 5 presents and listen to at least half of her/his/it/xeirs inane dialogue.

edit: good god i fucked up that quote pretty good. time to go to bed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is something I only recently noticed, but now that I have, it really bothers me.

Both main Dragon Age games, and I think at least two games in the Mass Effect series, allow the player to visit a restaurant or bar, and allow the player to order food or drink from a waiter or barkeep. A lot of games do this, actually. Bioware aren't even the worst offenders. But I'm posting here because it seems like they are the most likely to listen to what I'm going to say.

Thing is, I have RL friends who work in the food services industry; waiters and bartenders who also occasionally clean the restaurant. But these people are not just food service workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations. Some of them are gamers, and yes, they even play Bioware games.

Because I have the privilege of knowing these individuals, I am privy to first-hand accounts of how exploitative and dangerous the food service industry can be, and I'm also aware of the stigma that surrounds people who try to leave the food service industry and get "legitimate" jobs.

Given the trend so far, I expect Inquisition is going to include a bar. And maybe it's too late now for any changes to be made, but nevertheless, I am requesting that, going forward, Bioware consider humanising their barkeeper and waiter characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the food services industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player appetites and cheap drinks.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair it would be nice if an RPG represented whores as miserable people hiding behind a salesman's smile, and whore houses as depressing places. That's how I see strip clubs in real life, they feel like massive depression sponges whenever I go in one. Dishonored did this really well I thought, their whore house level portrayed the women as largely miserable and the services as rather disgusting.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Witcher actually showed whores not as elegant models but as a cheap pieces of haman and elven trash, drinking themselves to death and constantly doing fantasy drugs.
Feminist butthurt was plenty and delicious.

eremita

Savant
Witcher actually showed whores not as elegant models but as a cheap pieces of haman and elven trash, drinking themselves to death and constantly doing fantasy drugs.
Nonsense! They were all parents and medicine students...

Deleted member 7219

Nonsense! They were all parents and medicine students...

Shani is a good example. If you don't have sex with her, it is implied she has sex with Siegfried instead. She isn't a whore, but she acts like one.

There are sympathetic characters who were whores, though. Carmen, who is in a relationship with Vincent (the captain of the guard) is an example of someone who is a whore but also wants to get out.

BioWare would glorify her and her profession but CDProjekt portrays her as someone who is capable of doing so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

To be fair it would be nice if an RPG represented whores as miserable people hiding behind a salesman's smile, and whore houses as depressing places. That's how I see strip clubs in real life, they feel like massive depression sponges whenever I go in one. Dishonored did this really well I thought, their whore house level portrayed the women as largely miserable and the services as rather disgusting.

Couldn't agree more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I know the realism junkies will disagree but all that graphical power put into making something that looks like it's ten minutes from my house just seems like a waste.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/501562-better-representation-of-sex-workers/

Both main Dragon Age games, and I think at least two games in the Mass Effect series, allow the player to visit a brothel or strip club, and allow the player to solicit the services of a prostitute, or get a private dance. A lot of games do this, actually. Bioware aren't even the worst offenders. But I'm posting here because it seems like they are the most likely to listen to what I'm going to say.

Thing is, I have RL friends who work in the sex industry; prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations. Some of them are gamers, and yes, they even play Bioware games.

Because I have the privilege of knowing these individuals, I am privy to first-hand accounts of how exploitative and dangerous the sex industry can be, and I'm also aware of the stigma that surrounds people who try to leave the sex industry and get "legitimate" jobs.

Given the trend so far, I expect Inquisition is going to include a brothel. And maybe it's too late now for any changes to be made, but nevertheless, I am requesting that, going forward, Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes.

ScottishMartialArts

:troll:

Meh, Biotards are gonna biotard and Codextards are gonna codextard. /shrug

Lerk

Learned
I'll confess I played DA:O and enjoyed it, first time. DA2...tbh the Arishok's voice acting made labouring through everything kind of worth it to that point. Seriously, the actor elevated the writing, which is no mean feat. I didn't bother finishing it after the whole Qunari thing was wrapped up though, and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.
As for DA:Inquisition, I have no idea about it. Apparently it's DA meets Skyrim, or something? It'll be interesting to see what Bioware do with it, part of me wants them to pull it off but part of me also wants to see the company buried by another disaster. Hard for me to care beyond those two extremes really.

kris

Arcane
I know the realism junkies will disagree but all that graphical power put into making something that looks like it's ten minutes from my house just seems like a waste.

I don't think realism junkies would disagree that creating interesting places is bad.

Personally I just dont get it. I mean it is such cheap and good publiscity to make amazing looking areas (on an artistic/creative side), are the ones working on these games really that much without creative talent. In 5 minutes I would come up with several much more interesting places than they have procured.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Personally I just dont get it. I mean it is such cheap and good publiscity to make amazing looking areas (on an artistic/creative side), are the ones working on these games really that much without creative talent. In 5 minutes I would come up with several much more interesting places than they have procured.

I think they think bland and realistic settings sell better for whatever weird reason.

kris

Arcane

I think they think bland and realistic settings sell better for whatever weird reason.

Realism, maybe.
Bland, by any measure no. From Reviews to fans, just having one amazing place might be enough. Even when it came to Skyrim it was praised and liked. not that they did something amazing, but they had a couple of good pieces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom