Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
Characters in those gameplay videos look like dorks, like a mix between "generic realistic" DA:O and candy plastic DA2. Especially the elf. Something about that almost cartoonish style with more high res textures and movements but kiddy faces makes me think new Final Fantasy's.
Creeps me out.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Hm, somehow the PC vids were not atrocious as i expected (apart from the incessant extremely annoying blabbering by Mike Laidlaw).

At least they seem pretty open about the game. I dont remember them showing so much details for DA2.

Maybe a bargain bin buy in 2017.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I liked small strategic game with cards and plenty of skill trees. But their explanation for locked 8-slots hotbar was silly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
26gb? No one cares about optimization anymore.
And here i was so hyped about backflipping dwarves with hairy chests.
DA:O was like 20 gb because they used uncompressed audio.

RPGMaster

Savant

Avellion

Erudite

That PC version doesn't look as botched as I expected. But why the hell is that console "cursor" in there when the far superior PC cursor is in?

I also think they should have gone for a smaller font.

RandomAccount

At last, we finally get a peek at the PC version!

Well, that's a hypewrap for now until it comes out then, thanks, I look forward to early impressions in November.

Sammael7

Literate
Some of you all are too pessimistic. I loved origins, HATED DA2, but am extremely excited to play DA3. It looks like they fixed a lot of issues, though we'll see how gameplay holds up.

Looking forward to this far more than the witcher 3 (That's right witcher fanatics, I went there. I can't get over Geralts hideous face, I feel like I am getting eye cancer every time I look at him).

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Some of you all are too pessimistic. I loved origins, HATED DA2, but am extremely excited to play DA3. It looks like they fixed a lot of issues, though we'll see how gameplay holds up.

Looking forward to this far more than the witcher 3 (That's right witcher fanatics, I went there. I can't get over Geralts hideous face, I feel like I am getting eye cancer every time I look at him).

I am also very excited my friend

AAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAEUHHHHHHHHH

Quality post, you like that

Not pessimistic at all

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

youreafag.gif

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

go away, gaider, you're not welcome here.

Some of you all are too pessimistic.
Not me. I'm just the right amount of pessimistic: I think the whole franchise sucks Priestly's sweaty balls and all involved should be strung up by their intestines for inflicting it upon the fragile minds of the young. :codexisfor:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It's not pessimism, it's realism. You're smoking crack if you think a game from EA and modern Bioware has any chance of being good.

Sammael7

Literate
It's not pessimism, it's realism. You're smoking crack if you think a game from EA and modern Bioware has any chance of being good.

Mass Effect 3 was good. Yes, even if the ending was disappointing. 95% of a game is great, but the ending falls flat =/= worst game ever. But that is the kind of tantrum you saw thrown all over the map.

But like I said, some of you ARE too pessimistic.

DA2 did not have enough development time. It's been around 3 years since the last dragon age game, they extended the development a year specifically to avoid the same time constraint issues that occurred last time. We all know what those issues were. Identical dungeons with paths blocked off. NON epic sprawling story. DA2 was essentially days of our lives in kirkwall and like 1 wilderness area. There was nothing epic about it. If you sneezed you might miss the deep roads because you spent almost no time there. The visuals were improved, but still lacking (dragon age inquisition looks significantly better in frostbite 3, anyone who denies this is just flat out lying to themselves and everyone else.)

DA2 took away the tactical overhead view (this was absolutely infuriating) so the pathetic consoles could deal with the mechanics, enemies ported on top of you in waves. Increasing difficulty was nothing more than more health/resistances and more waves, not a harder to deal with AI to fight. The mages were depicted as psychopaths, even the so called good mages were so bat shit insane as soon as one of them got a splinter they let a demon possess them to "defend" themselves. And if you happened to enjoy playing a mage, your attacks hit like a wet noodle, because we had to pretend that people swinging metal sticks wield the same power as a demi god who hurls cosmic energies from their fingertips. That was their balance to bring mages in line compared to their DA:O power levels. The spell combo effects from origins became nothing more than damage modifiers, which was the ONLY way to inflict real damage, and what if you did not prefer to tee all your attacks in those VERY specific ways? @#$% you, do it that way or spend a half hour taking down a boss.

The most exciting/depressing moment in that entire game was saving a couple of wardens near the end of the game, only to have them tell you they were on an important mission and had to be on their way. I screamed inside my head for them to TAKE ME WITH YOU !!!!!!!!!!! Get me out of this boring, uninspired soap opera of a game in the SAME location over and over and over.

Almost everything mentioned above has been fixed and improved. Not sure how combat will work with no heals, like I Said earlier, we will have to see how the combat shakes out, but this can't possibly be worse than dragon age 2 based on what we know so far.

I could be mistaken, but chances are I am correct in my assessment that this is a return to form. And regarding EA, you all need to stop with the EA bashing. DA2 was not terrible because EA published it, it was terrible because of what I listed above and more. Perhaps EA was responsible for those issues, but they could just as easily be responsible for allowing bioware to fix them. I don't think anyone who worked on that game was truly satisfied with the results, people can and do want to do better, to right their wrongs, and hope springs eternal, that is exactly what dragon age inquisition is striving to do.

Avellion

Erudite

Trust me, I was once willing to give Dragon Age 3 a chance, if by a miracle, BioWare was willing to show that they had suddenly gone competent. However, the gameplay footage and marketing and design choices demonstrated pure incompetence. With Dragon Age 3, they are attempting to solve minor issues and the symptoms rather than the cause of the game being so bad, all while sprinkling it with new dumb design choices, like the new healing system they implemented. Then they claim to have 150-200 hours of total gameplay, and a 20-40 hour long story. How can anyone expect BioWare to pull that off without flooding the game with filler. BioWare who has had a history of awful encounter design and padding in their games.

Witcher 3 looks better than DAI, at least their games are competently written and their devs dont make up petty excuses.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
When that fantasy deviant simulator comes out ? Im eager to try it, i heard they will be adding iron dildo to the collectors edition .
And is that true it doesn't matter if you play previous games DA1 and DA 2, becouse story and setting in DA3:I is completely new etc. ? It is very important becouse i have somewhere saves with real freaked, totally deviant party of characters from previous games. Will i be able to trans... i mean load their story into Inquisition ? [in Mass Effect style ? - or something like ME Genesis will come out? ].
It will be so sado pleasure to play this piece of action crap again.
tumblr_nakn0pz7rg1qdunk8o1_500.gif

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
It's been around 3 years since the last dragon age game, they extended the development a year specifically to avoid the same time constraint issues that occurred last time.
Yeah... I don't think 3 years is enough for the advertised scope of the game, so whoever said lots of padding is probably right.
We all know what those issues were. [...] NON epic sprawling story. DA2 was essentially days of our lives in kirkwall and like 1 wilderness area. There was nothing epic about it.
Political intrigue in Kirkwall sounds actually great to me but the execution was phoned in or the devs were on AWESOME sauce. Fuck epic stories left and right...
DA2 took away the tactical overhead view (this was absolutely infuriating) so the pathetic consoles could deal with the mechanics
The tactical camera in the DA3 PC demo looked very much like the DA2 one.
Increasing difficulty was nothing more than more health/resistances and more waves, not a harder to deal with AI to fight.
DA3 on hard will use Radiant AI...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom