Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Division by Ubisoft

typical user

Arbiter
This game made me hate the "gamers"! Could be a nice headline but the truth is more prosaic.

So, I'm in DZ in a team of 4 and I see 2 rogues on the map. I run towards them, I get them in sight, I almost kill one when the fucking NPCs spawn and kill me from behind. Ok. Respawn, go after them again. Get killed. Respawn, go again. Get killed. Respawn. Rage quit.

I basically hunted these motherfuckers alone for like 5 minutes in total. I lost 2 or 3 DZ levels and nobody ... nobody on the fucking server had even try to help me. Not my team. Not other players. Nobody. This is awful.

Killing players or getting killed is the entire purpose of the DZ. But it seems that most players are simply retarded ... they prefer farming instead of a couple of moments of "emergent" gameplay. They stay like sheep while some players are killing them. It's like watching a documentary on Nat Geographic about big cats in Afrika.

I know I already stated that the end game is fucked up. But I don't know who pisses me off more: the lackluster end-game or the players. I mean most of them are so retarded that they don't know how to have fun even if you give them the tools to have fun. They need hand holding and quest compasses like air.

And then you wonder why should the developers try to design and implement great games? They shouldn't cause these idiots cannot appreciate anything. /rant

And people on reddit are like "Don't fix the game, don't provide feedback, you will break it like wow! I want this game to stay broken so I can enjoy my powerleveling and griefing with secondary character!".

Sometimes I want to punch those people in the face. This game has a lot of problems such as very high penalties for PvPing so players literally try to run into your gunfire to mark you as rogue and kill without any risk (and people say it is ok when players don't fight each other in a fucking PvP zone and bait others to do it, they just treat it as another farming ground and are scared of patches because "it may break this game like WoW"). You can lose your hard earned equipment due to bugs, Phoenix Credits render DZ currency obsolete as you can't buy good gear with DZ funds because you will find better stuff from NPCs in DZ so it is mostly used to buy equipment for dismantling for crafting materials. Those Phoenixes have received "temporary" nerf and drop 1-3 from named NPCs (before they yielded 10-15) so you are only left with challenge modes and daily assignments. The game can glitch itself when rerolling gear so you will waste your Phoenix Credits for stat that you didn't select (PCs are required for re-rolling stats of High-End Gear).

The stupid thing is Betas they tried to simulate end-game and catch any end-game breaking stuff mentioned above and others such as OP weapons or broken penalties for going rogue yet they didn't fix that stuff or maybe they didn't care. Midas - one of unique SMGs - has an ability to reduce your ultimate skill cooldown with each crit; basically you have had to unload a full clip into NPC and you would have your Signature Skill up even before it's effects could wear off. That ability has been disabled and will probably be reworked. But the fact that they didn't include it in Betaso it could be detected and patched into full release is fucking dumb. Or amount of PCs dropping from NPCs or retarded penalties for dying as rogue and laughable amount of bounty for survival.

And Dark Zone credits are useless because they added yet another currency and tied both high-end vendors to sell gear only for PC is major design flaw.

The End-game as it is now needs a huge amount of love. Numbers are off the charts, people started second characters, powereleveled them to 30, gave them gear from main characters and kill on sight any losers that try to farm in DZ. People are camping one of safehouses so they can kill bunch of named NPCs close by, get PCs and HE drop from them and then die from purple mobs so they can respawn in safehouse and repeat same stuff. It is also strange that when you re-roll one of the gear stats you can't re-roll others even when the price increases significantly with each re-roll and rarity of the item. HE items require PCs to recallibrate so it is expensive business yet you can't mix and match to get perfect gear. It would require time but instead you are deemed to pray to RNGesus for godlike drops instead of farming PCs to ultimately bypass that nonsense.

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
A problem with the DZ credits is that you cannot spend them until DZ rank 30 and you will lose some each time you die, be it by rogues or npcs.

Solo DZ is doable even with crappy stats like i have now (45-45-15, at lvl 30) as long as you stay in DZ1/2, and extract when you see a group extracting (solo-ing the sometimes insane NPC rush after signaling for extraction can be difficult). The east extraction point near the gasstation seems to be the easiest, it also has a good sniper spot. I extracted quite a few good items already, rogues are very rare (big difference from beta), and if there is one or more i usually avoid them since they are completely OP or hacking, which is apparently super easy.

If the hacking isnt tackled pvp is dead i guess, no matter what changes they come up with.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
During beta a lot of the stats were saved client-side so you could just edit ammo-count, movespeed, hp etc. Did they not fix that?

typical user

Arbiter
They did partially. A lot are dynamic now but there are still some left open for exploits though it is rare, people don't complain about hackers much and if they do it is because they are facing laggers or are undergeared.

Froglok

Educated
"Ultimates" in a PvP game is fucking retarded.

especially when you combine it with the weapon trait that reduces cooldowns by killing NPCs. 4 guys can rotate the invincibility ultimate, for a total of 1 full minute of rape, then go down in the subway and kill a few NPCs and do it all over again in a few minutes.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Got a key from Jaedar <3

Reached level 10 and did dark zone for a while. The dark zone has potential to set this game apart from all the other schlock. It mostly depends on how they balance risk/reward, especially for rogue agents. PvE is ok (the popamole shooting works fine for the most part) but I can already see that there's not much variety so you'll soon be doing the same missions over and over again.

And yeah, the game looks great and has nice graphics options. UI can be customized not to be too cluttered, which is nice.

Of course it's not worth the full price (especially with season pass) at the moment but the potential is there.

Spockrock

Augur
they just released a new DLC with a new game mode. and servers keep kicking people because they can't keep up with the influx of players. I guess if they didn't solve all the server infrastructure issues by now, they probably never will. if the game isn't dead yet it may as well be

Spockrock

Augur
Tried the full version during the free weekend, and I have to say, the core gameplay is extremely fun. It reminds me of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, which was a decent coop shooter, and despite what people might think it's not an MMO. It's a single player game with coop capability, that is designed like an MMO game (you only see other players in special areas - safe zones and PvP areas, in the open world you're always alone unless a player joins your group). In other words it plays exactly like Borderlands, which I loved.

And then there's Survival... For those that don't know: it's a hardcore game mode where you have to escape Manhattan while being on a timer. Your character's transport helicopter crashes somewhere in Manhattan and you have to make your way to a designated evac zone and call for a helicopter. The catch is: you only have your map, a handgun, and 1 pill of painkillers. Your character is slowly dying (as soon as you load through a 1-hour timer starts, it pauses if you take painkillers or give yourself injections). You can (and often will) also die of hunger, dehydration, hypothermia, or fall victim to looters or PMC patrols. In order to survive you need to find food, warm clothes, weapons, crafting materials and medicine.

Overall, it's a very fun game mode that doesn't overdo it with realism. The whole game area is open to you, there are 24 other players in the same game instance with you, you can enter with up to 3 teammates, you can either join instances with friendly fire on or off (the latter ads the ability to kill other players for their loot). I was pleasantly surprised by how the devs took a chance with this DLC and made a game mode that is fun and challenging.

To be honest, I am loving the whole game, I take back any bad things I ever said about it, I already have 90 hours clocked in it, and I've only been playing for 7 days.

And it looks awesome. The amount of detail in its visuals is stunning. Easily the best looking shooter I've ever played.

Spockrock

Augur
that's kinda what I like about it, you shouldn't have the ability to bunny hop in full gear. :cool:

Silva

Arcane
This piece of shit is on a big discount on PS4 right now. I heard the latest patches alleviated the problems with bullet-sponges, dark zone and lack of content. So, is it worthy ?

ortucis

Prophet
This piece of shit is on a big discount on PS4 right now. I heard the latest patches alleviated the problems with bullet-sponges, dark zone and lack of content. So, is it worthy ?

No it isn't.

Just like Rainbow Six: Siege is still a shit modern day "tacticool" shooter no matter how many time they path it. You can't path the "fun" in.

Lemme tell you why people are suddenly praising UBI for "fixing" both of these games. Buyer's remorse. Could be Stockholm Syndrome as well. Might as well like the expensive pile of shit you paid money for (coming from someone who owns Siege.. but still thinks it's shit though).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Actually if you can stomach popemole gameplay with "RPG elements", this game has its moments. Just don't aproach it as MMO and try to play single as long as possible.
As any other Ubisoft AAA game, this has great visuals and atmosphere. Just running around the city is worth it, if its below $20.

Spockrock

Augur
I second that motion, play the campaign through by yourself, try to clear the whole map (pay special attention to Echo recordings; the world building is quite good, so is the story telling). Once you're done, and by then you will have played it for about 40 hours, it will feel like beating a good single-player game. The game world is amazing, with so many subtle details. The biggest problem with the game is mission design, it plays like Far Cry 3, save for a few instances.

just don't go into the Dark Zone. that place is cancer.
I heard the latest patches alleviated the problems with bullet-sponges, dark zone and lack of content.
not entirely true. the DZ is even worse now, and it will become worse still with version 1.6

bullet sponges are only an issue when playing content on higher difficulties (which you need to do if you want top-of-the-line gear). if you're OK running around by yourself and don't feel like grinding for gear you will never see those bullet spongy enemies. otherwise, prepare for the worst, because the balance in the game is so out of whack, on highest difficulties regular enemies are stronger than actual bosses.

lack of content was not fixed in the vanilla game. they did add an Incursion for level 30 players, but that hardly counts as new content. they did add three new game modes as DLCs (a strictly PvE dungeon crawl, which is pretty fun but gets repetitive too fast; a survival Battle-Royale-style sandbox which is fucking amazing but takes at least an hour to complete; a PvP only point-control game mode which is completely unbalanced, but gives awesome stuff for participating in it).

I do think there is a good game under all that MMORPG-crap, I'll just quote myself (talking about how it could be a perfect tactical shooter):
- character holds the weapon in low-ready unless aiming or firing;
- character can mount obstacles of various heights, his quickness is dependent on the height of the obstacle;
- there's suppression;
- there's bleeding and maiming (which slows movement and staggers, AI actually begins limping if you hit them in the leg);
- there's realistic armor that reflects or absorbs bullets until broken, at which point it stops being effective (unfortunately, it is only implemented for shields, there's no actual body armor in the game);
- ammo is discarded along with the magazine if it's replaced before being completely emptied (not on all difficulty levels, unfortunately);
- you can switch shoulders when firing your weapon;
- there are 4 reload animations for each gun: two for each side (depending on the shoulder you're using) - one for having a cartridge in the gun while reloading and one for an empty barrel (where you need to operate the bolt), not sure if it actually affects reload speed as it should, but the fact itself...;
- there's limited wall/door penetration (can't shoot through metal sheets, unfortunately);
- there's cover destruction, walls start to crumble under intense fire;
- can't run and shoot at the same time, but can move at a "tactical pace" while shooting;
- AI knows how to flank, use numbers advantage, flush players out of cover and is generally very fun to play against;
- you can mod weapons extensively, and these mods generally enhance weapon performance in a sensible manner (for example, tactical handles and muzzle devices increase stability/range, hide muzzle flash, suppress weapons etc.);
- sound propagates in a realistic fashion, which makes it easy to detect where the shooter is (there's sound reverberation, so inside buildings weapons sound differently etc.);
- long bursts of fire increase the barrel's temperature, if you fire a full 30-round mag in full auto, the barrel becomes red-hot, and the air around the barrel heats up as well, slightly impeding player's ability to aim accurately;
- bullet impacts are modeled very realistically (for example, hitting AI enemies produces small fountains of blood, making it easier to detect if your hit landed - if you turn off damage counters, that is);
- if you add stuff like Underground and Survival, there are even more realistic features (no minimap, getting cold, limited ammo etc.);

to summarize, I bought it a a huge discount and never regretted that purchase. the game has a lot to offer, it's just mixed with stupid shit they lifted from Destiny.

Loostreaks

Learned
Lol.

This is the best thing Ubisoft released in years

DyR-K8gXgAAhjBr.jpg

As expected, snowflakes at RetardEra got

tenor.gif

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just got this with a huge discount. Love it, heard it was bad at the start but getting the game late means most of the problems are gone, otoh Division 2 is coming out soon, wish there is something like survival in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom