Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Devil's Due: The Mongolian Horde

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Oh I will, but I like the idea of starting off with things going well to increase the air of invincibility people have about this character.
And missions we don't take will be played out at a later date with other players, etc, with different results.
For instance, rushing back to the Mingghan might have made us miss a few rebels.
And to remind everyone, we don't know those raiders are commies.
They might be backed by the KMT, or they might just be a lawless band of brazen cockfags.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Choice A was chosen.
No mood music this time. Fuck I'm tired. Get your own dammit.

Four men sat quietly in the Mingghan's war room, Spartan in decorations save for the maps tracking allied and enemy troop movements all over the border, red marks on charts trying to discern a pattern to enemy attacks. The smell of smoke from Mingghan Naranbataar's old wood pipe filled the room, a not unpleasant, suffocating aroma. The Mingghan quietly puffed on his pipe as the three other men, Sukhbataar Zuut, his lieutenant Ganzorig, and the rocket commander, a former Zuut himself, Nergui, worked out the details to the invasion and attack.
"Intelligence indicates that the airships are being stored at this base, here," Nergui said, pointing to a location only twenty miles behind the border. Sukhbataar and Ganzorig glanced at one another with a quick look of the eyes.
"Something on your mind, Zuut?" Naranbataar asked as he puffed on his pipe. The sideways glance had apparently not gone on unnoticed.
"It seems a bit foolish of the KMT to place such valuable and expensive assets in such a poorly defended location, one so close to the border. If these vehicles can travel hundreds of miles, why place them so close?"
"It won't be poorly defended for long. Troop movements indicate that three full companies will be arriving there within the next week," the Mingghan stated confidently. "We cannot lose this chance to take out these airships. There is a strong possibility that these companies will use these two airships to strike at us over the border."
"I am skeptical," Sukhbataar replied, "Where did this intelligence come from?"
"Do not test me, Zuut," Naranbataar snapped. "I have been lenient with your thus far, but your constant questioning is becoming an irritant. There is no longer anything to be open for discussion on the issue."
"I understand, Mingghan," Sukhbataar said, bowing his head.
"Zuut, as long as you and your men follow my plan accordingly, we will be able to get there and return with minimal loss of life, our mission accomplished," Nergui, the short, stoutly build man of Tangut ancestry, spoke with a degree of arrogance.
"Nergui, your confidence is well deserved, is it?" Sukhbataar replied dismissively with a motion of his head.
"I have been on six such missions across the border in the past four years. While you and your half-breed Cossack ilk were quelling the Afghans, I was conducting operations of sabotage. I'm confident because I've relied on the intelligence reports before. They've yet to fail me."
"Woe to your family when they do, for they will be a man less," Sukhbataar snapped angrily. "I have been misled by intelligence before, in Afghanistan and Manchuria. I would sooner trust a blind wretch claiming divine sight than I would the intelligence."
"Your lack of faith in Mongol superiority is disturbing to me," Nergui chuckled. "Our spies that guide us in this are the same ones that have guided me in other missions."
"Your complacency is equally disturbing," Sukhbataar said calmly, his gravelly voice simmering with tension. "Are your spies Mongol or Han?"
"They are well paid," Naranbataar replied, "And they know that they will not get paid if they are not leading us correctly."
"We Mongols allow ourselves to get led around by the nose now by the yellow Han?"
Naranbataar's face flushed with anger as the Zuut insulted him. Nergui said nothing, but stared smugly at Sukhbataar and Ganzorig as the two were dressed down angrily by the Mingghan. The Zuut wisely kept his mouth shut as the Mingghan screamed at him and his lieutenant. It was decided by him that because of Sukhbataar's insolence, Nergui would take command of the operation.

Sukhbataar awoke with a start, gasping as if great hands had been choking him. The words still echoed in his mind, that voice not his own. A searing warmth seemed to travel through him as he stood, jumping to his feet. His knees buckled, his mind still heavy from sleep, dreaming but awake, as he fell to the ground again.
Fuck, what was that. His thoughts raced with fear and anxiety. Soon, his racing heart slowed and he breathed the fire out of his gasping lungs. Try as he might, he could not remember a thing. The voice faded from memory, as did the words. He couldn't even remember whether it was a dream or a nightmare, though he felt it was more of a nightmare. Standing in his tent, he breathed deeply. He glanced at the ground where he'd left his armor and his uniform and seemed to realize his own nudeness. He dressed quickly and exited his tent. The cold air was a welcome refresher.
Nearby, he heard the shouts of Ganzorig as his men slowly awoke from their own tents. The sun was now only coming up.
Ganzorig walked up to the Zuut, giving a nod of his head. Sukhbataar returned it with one of his own. Their men would be assembled and ready shortly. However, he reported that Nergui and his men, thirty of them, were already assembled, armed, and ready.
"Wonderful," Sukhbataar said sarcastically, "now I will have three days worth of having to listen to that arrogant horse fucker give orders to my men."
"Three days?"
"It is quite possible his arrogance may get the better of him and he will not survive the three days it will take us to return. Even if he does, I will only tolerate three days worth of him. My orders are quite clear on that. Once our mission is completed, I am in command."
The two men laughed with a certain lighthearted viciousness that comes only from having killed so many men that the life of others becomes seemingly less valuable.

The Zuut was fully assembled. One hundred men atop one hundred horses, all silent with a sternness to their set jaws and a deadness of the eyes, a stare that could pierce a man with cold inhumanity. As they moved out, the Zuut moved as one, never breaking formation. Woe to the villages of the Sichuan border, that they would miss such a sight as that Zuut led by Sukhbataar. It was an intimidating spectacle, and one that even Nergui seemed impressed by, though he never spoke a word of it. His own unit of thirty men, well trained and experienced in this type of warfare, were all assembled as well. They had only thirty men, but needed one hundred horses to cart around the heavy rocket barrages, as well as the spare rockets. Normally such weapons would be moved by trucks, but the Mingghan and Nergui had both decided against that idea in the planning of the assault. It was something Sukhbataar remained silent on.
Sukhbataar held his battle rifle, a weapon of German design. Semi-automatic, loaded with a 20 round box magazine from a size gate, the weapon had wood only on the forearm and the heavy stock. The rest of the rifle was all metal. The pistol grip felt comfortable in his hand as he braced the butt stock against his thigh. The oddly designed iron sights, both front and rear, were fully capable of flipping up further and being adjusted. It was a weapon used by most in his Zuut, and all the better armed forces of Mongolia. Originally produced in Germany, the Khagan had gotten Imperial German engineers to build such factories in Mongolia. The Mongols themselves were considered excellent shots with the rifles, even when riding. They would train to time their shots at the moment when their horses, in full gallop, had all four hooves on the ground.
Sukhbataar glanced at Ganzorig as Nergui ordered the Zuut to move ahead of his own unit. Ganzorig rolled his eyes and thumbed the trigger of his storming rifle, another German innovation. Sukhbataar gave a smirk as he grunted out loudly. His men moved ahead, and thus began their trek into Kuomintang controlled China, the province Guizhou.

They reached the border of Guizhou without problem. Sukhbataar's Zuut scouted ahead, divided up into groups of twenty, looking for enemies in all directions. This part of the country appeared sparsely populated, as they found nothing, not even villages, though the land was good for grazing. As Sukhbataar returned, he and Ganzorig once again voiced concerns privately of being led on a wild goose chase. Nergui offered them only a sharp rebuke, and so they kept their mouths shut, though Sukhbataar warned his men individually of his beliefs that they were walking into a trap of some kind. Keeping them paranoid, on edge that they were being led by fools, he knew meant they would support him when the time came for real military decisions to be made.
When night came, Sukhbataar slept again, though this time it was a poor sleep. He was disturbed constantly by his dreams, the nightmares keeping him awake almost constantly. Everytime he closed his eyes, he gasped aloud in fright, breathing as if he were being choked. It was the first time in many, many years that he had felt fear. He could feel cold, icy hands tracing long nails along his spine as he lay on his back, glancing up at the open skies with trepidation. The stars shone brightly, but this time it brought Sukhbataar no comfort. He felt that every star was an accusing eye, glaring back at him, burning a hole into his soul, and that icy hand he felt again and again on his skin forced terrors he had never thought possible except in the darkest recesses of his mind to the surface. Terrors not of death, but of torture, suffering, and all other horrible things, enemies that would seek him that he could not fight, enemies that would take him body and mind, obliterate his soul, possess his body, harm him in unspeakable ways.
As he gasped out again and again, his heart racing at this newfound fear, he could feel the cold icy hands begin to drag him down, into his sleeping bag, into the earth. He closed his eyes and felt enveloped, a weight unlike anything ever before on his shoulders, on his chest, making him barely able to catch his breath, breathe deeply and fully. Hands on his neck, not his own now. He could feel them, hot and strong. He couldn't move, couldn't breathe. It took all his strength to simply open his eyes, which danced around wildly. A figure on top of him shrouded in darkness that whipped about with screaming shadowy tendrils, holding him down. Pain all over his body, burning as he tried in vain to gasp for air.

He shut his eyes in fear, terror as a hot breath brushed against his face. Whispers filled his ear, soft at first, but soon growing stronger, louder, more forceful with each breath. The words were nonsensical, mutterings of madness, a language he could not comprehend but each uttering filled him with absolute fear. If he had the strength, he would have soiled himself. Still, he could almost understand the glibbing of the tongue, the hashing of the cheeks and lips, the clacking churming of the teeth. All of it was becoming clear in his mind, slowly, painfully, as if each incomprehensible utterance was sending a signal to his brain, lighting his nerves on fire.
Sense eluded him. Direction eluded him. Breathe eluded him, and as he opened his eyes he could see the burning stars, their eyes glaring at him through the darkness, burning a hole into his soul, stealing his senses and his mind. As his body convulsed suddenly, he stood up, shooting up like a bullet from a gun, his mouth agape in a silent scream, breathe gone. He gasped loudly, coughing and hacking, his body twisting and contorting as he slowly regained control of his limbs.
Then it was gone. All of it. Except the fear. That was still there, and it was stronger than ever. As his senses returned, he could vaguely remember eyes, and the strangest of words spoken to him. Above all, he could feel the fear. He calmed down, slowed his breathing and tried to still his heart. He could not, however, bring his body back onto the sleeping bag, try as he might. The fear was still there. He would not sleep.

For most of the day they rode, and Sukhbataar carried something with him that set his men on edge. If Ganzorig noticed it, he said nothing, but Sukhbataar had a nervousness now, an edge about him, that his men had not seen before. Nergui noticed it, and made offhand comments to the Zuut, who's attitude had only worsened since the night before. The twitches in his fingers made Nergui's few men watch him carefully, and while Nergui kept a pomposity about his person that was utterly insufferable, he kept a hand near his Walther whenever he rode within striking distance of Sukhbataar.
As night began to come again, a sense of dread filled Sukhbataar, and he could almost hear the whisperings of horror again in his ears. He forced those to the back of his mind, but as darkness came, the fear came howling to the forefront. He laid out the sleeping bag but did not get inside as his men did with their own. He glanced around nervously, the twitch in his hands growing stronger as he sat down roughly on what would be his bed for the night. The twitch became a tremor, and then a full blown shaking, rough and uncontrollable. Fear gripped him as he sat quietly, his breathing quickened. His men sat around campfires, talking quietly. Instead of joining in as he had in the past, Sukhbataar jumped to his feet and walked the length of the camp. Fires died down, and Sukhbataar walked, making his own patrol. He would not sleep.

By dusk of the third day, they had reached the site they were to attack. The small base was merely an airstrip, a set of barracks with more under construction, a command bunker, and two large hangars. The base was bustling with activity, soldiers moving everywhere, construction fully commenced, even as the sun set. Sukhbataar glanced at his own numbers and from the position in the hills, wondered at the possible armament of the barracks. No matter Nergui's orders, the Zuut was not interest in a suicide mission.
Nergui glanced from binoculars into the base below the hills and glanced at the map spread out before him. It was highly detailed of the surrounding region, though it did not encompass the base below. Eight marks were made on the map, each a strategic position on a hill.
"My men work well in the dark," Nergui began, turning to Sukhbataar. They stood amongst many soldiers from both groups. Sukhbataar said nothing at first, watching the soldiers below scurry around like grey ants through his looking glass. "I asked you a question, Zuut."
"My men will make do with what they have and do what is needed, as they have always done," Sukhbataar said, not looking at Nergui's arrogant face. His twitching disappeared as he spoke, the anticipation of conflict seeming to calm his nerves.
"I am sure they will," Nergui replied dismissively, waving his hand. He did not notice the sneers of the Mongols of Sukhbataar's Zuut. "We will divide my men up into seven groups, each with a rocket battery. They will be guarded by fourteen of your men."
"That is unacceptable," Sukhbataar said unemotionally as he continued to watch the happenings in the base. "The divisions of ten will remain. Those that are not with the rocket batteries will be here."
"I am in command here," Nergui began angrily, "My word is law. My word could have you shot for insubordination."
"The company you keep says otherwise," Sukhbataar said loudly enough for the surrounding men to here. The sound of rifles cocking seemed to echo all around the Zuut and Nergui. The Tangut's face changed from arrogance to uncertainty, his eyes displaying some realized fear. Sukhbataar did not see it, but from the words Nergui spoke next that he understood his tenuous position. Out here, Sukhbataar was lord.
"I have thought your position over and have decided that it is an acceptable solution," Nergui replied.
"I am glad. It would be a shame to break the discipline of my Zuut simply because your rocket brigades cannot shoot rifles as well as they can rockets. In the meantime, I wish to see which hangar those airships are in."
"What? Why?" Nergui asked suddenly with some urgency in his voice. "There is no reason to risk yourself, to risk our operation in any way. The intelligence has said this base was here, and it is. The intelligence has told us that men were here, and they are."
"We can see the base and the men with our eyes. I would rather with my own eyes see these airships that have dragged us so deep into enemy territory. I will take ten of my men and, under cover of darkness, we will descend into the base. Upon our return, we will have the evidence we need to prove the veracity of your intelligence."
As night fell, a hush descended over the group. The rocket teams, each guarded by ten of Sukhbataar's men, deployed without incident to the hills surrounding the airfield. To Sukhbataar, an airfield, a runway, none of it made sense, especially among hills. He knew that traditional airships would rarely dock in the ground when at rest. Rather, they would be tethered. There was no need for an airstrip. And planes would have great difficulty taking off and landing thanks to the surrounding hills. No, he decided, this was a poor base, and an unlikely target. He was regretting taking this mission. And why did he? To please the Mingghan? To anger the Noyan? So he could enjoy the insufferable Nergui's company further?
Still, he was Mongol, and would do his duty. Sukhbataar warned Ganzorig to watch his back around Nergui and with ten men, slowly descended on foot then belly down the steep grass hill and into the base. They kept their pistols and rifles holstered, and rather used their knives and swords.
The ground was cold and hard but Sukhbataar paid it no mind as he crawled along it quickly. The base was simple enough in how it was set built. Still in the early stages of construction, ready for expansion, the KMT had built no fences to protect. But despite this, there were lights everywhere, along the airfield, among the hangars, around the barracks. And there were guards patrolling. Not many, but all it would take was one man to alert six hundred.
Sukhbataar watched as a guard passed by, he and his men still in the darkness. The guard was patrolling the perimeter of the barracks. Past the barracks was the bunker, and it was a long walk with many lights showing the way. Sukhbataar came to his feet slowly and kept up with the guard's slow but steady pace. The man appeared to have been walking for some time, but Sukhbataar did not know when he was to be relieved. He slowly drew his knife, the leather sheath causing the steel to ring gently in the still darkness.
Quickly, he made light steps towards the guard, slowly coming up behind him. A hand over his mouth and a knife in the back, the blade horizontal so it could slip between the ribs, turned up, punching a hole into the lung and the heart both. He knew from experience that the wound would stop the man from screaming, and quickly grabbed the rifle from his hands. The body fell down, dead. He dragged it from the lights behind the barracks and into the darkness. Quickly, he pulled his knife from the soldier's back and wiped it clean on his sleeve.
He and his men continued on, coming across two more guards on patrol. Each met his fate in a similar manner, all to Sukhbataar's knife, the bodies dragged into the darkness. Now, at the end of the rows of barracks, the men only had to spring and they would be at the hangars. Sukhbataar did not like this, and ordered five of his men to stay back, rifles at the ready. He waited in the darkness, ahead of the rest of his men, just out of range of the light, and waited. He counted the minutes out, and as five minutes turned to ten which in turn became fifteen, he saw no patrols. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on their ends as he thought of the strangeness of it all.
He stepped into the light slowly and waved for five of his men to follow him. Quickly, they moved as a single unit, steps in tandem, from behind the first hangar. They trotted around it slowly, trying to make as little noise as possible. Sukhbataar knew instinctively that his boots were quiet upon the grass, but still, in his mind, each footstep fell with all the grace and agility of an elephant wearing iron shoes. He glanced into a window of the first hangar, the smaller of the two, and saw planes. He counted in the first four rows a total of twenty. There were more rows that he couldn't see behind those, and he cursed under his breath.
Slowly, he and his men moved behind the small hangar to the back of the large hangar. Once more, he moved to the nearest window and glanced in.

Nothing.

He blinked his eyes, rubbed them, and spat. They did not deceive him. There was nothing in the fucking hangar. He turned back to his men and rang his hands angrily. Thoughts, none of them good, ran rampant through his mind. He thought of the fool he'd been made into, that he'd risked the lives of his men for nothing. NOTHING. His men saw the rage on his face in the light, and said nothing.
With a hand, he motioned for them to follow him quickly. He moved back to window of the smaller of the two hangars, still large enough to hold dozens of planes. Breaking the glass, he climbed through noisily. His anger got the better of him, and he no longer cared if he was heard. At this point, he almost wished for death, such was his rage. As he walked through the rows of planes and counted forty two in total, he took note of the various features. They had no traditional flag markings, on their wings or under the nose cone. They appeared only partially assembled, with no propellers, and the tails were only partially built. Still, they were knew and impressive enough, with sharp angular features he'd never seen before.
"Not even completed building their fucking planes," he muttered angrily. He'd seen enough. His anger was all that there was now. Gone was the sensible, cautious Zuut. In his place was a butcher that would only be sated with violence. His men who followed behind him knew enough of his mood swings to stay out of his reach when he turned this way.
He regrouped with his men quickly, not bothering to keep out of the light. He didn't care anymore. All he wanted now was to burn everything. Making his way back to Nergui, he calmed his anger, breathing deeply. Part of him wanted to savor the triumph he would hold over Nergui.
As he made his way back, a light was shined in his face, blinding him momentarily. He halted and covered his eyes with his one hand, the other instinctively on his pistol.
"You've returned, Zuut," a voice said slowly. Sukhbataar didn't recognize it, and realized it was one of Nergui's men.
"Get that fucking light out of my goddamn face. Do you want the entire base below to know where we are?" He hissed angrily, pulling his 1911 pistol instinctively. The light shut off quickly, but Sukhbataar vision had been disrupted, and now he only saw spots as he slowly followed the shadowy figure back to camp. Nergui was waiting, as was Ganzorig. Both men, along with many of Sukhbataar's soldiers, stood quietly, waiting for his return.
"You are lucky your man is more patient than I," Nergui began, motioning with his head towards Ganzorig.
"You are lucky Ganzorig is more patient than you," Sukhbataar said angrily. "The entire mission was a waste of time. There is nothing there but some unfinished planes."
"You are mistaken," Nergui said quickly. "The airships are down below, and we will destroy them."
"I am mistaken? I am fucking mistaken? I saw everything there was to fucking see down there, and it was as empty as your mother's crotch. There are NO fucking airships."
"No," Nergui said loudly, "the reports were right. You are wrong."
"What the fuck are you going on about now, you fucking blind deaf goddamn fool," Sukhbataar glanced at Ganzorig in the darkness. Ganzorig nodded and placed a hand on his storming rifle. Sukhbataar could feel the tension growing stronger, the lack of sleep making his growing twitches worse. He began to shake again, this time with rage.
"You and your ten men are to be arrested for treason against the Khagan. You will be shot upon the completion of the mission." As Nergui's nearby men drew their rifles and leveled them, Ganzorig drew his own. With incredible quickness, Nergui drew his Walther pistol and fired a round into Ganzorig's head, killing him instantly. As his lieutenant's body collapsed into the ground, Sukhbataar drew both of his pistols and fired quickly at Nergui. The large caliber bullets tore through his crotch. His knees buckled and he screamed in agony. His few men were taken by surprise and quickly, Sukhbataar's men had their rifles drawn and readied.
The Zuut ignored the corpse of his friend and instead grabbed the small handheld radio transmitter from Nergui's belt, as Nergui's men were disarmed swiftly by Sukhbataar's own. All the while, Nergui rolled around screaming unintelligibly. In anger, Sukhbataar shot him in the knee with one of his pistols, then in the shin and foot. Soon, Nergui was begging to be killed, screaming in agony. One of the Zuut's men stuffed a piece of cloth into Nergui's mouth as Sukhbataar began issuing orders over the radio.
"This is Sukhbataar Zuut," he began sternly. "Your orders have changed. You are to target the small hangar immediately, as well as the barracks and the command bunker. You are to ignore the large bunker. If my orders are disobeyed, if one rocket strikes the larger of the two hangars, I will have every single man that manned a rocket burned alive for failure. When rocket supplies are exhausted, the launchers are to be destroyed. Immediately, all men are to mount their horses. We shall ride in and wipe them out! You may fire when ready!" Sukhbataar threw the radio down onto the ground, breaking it. He turned to the few men in Nergui's command that were not commanding rockets.
"You men should arm yourselves and mount your horses."
The men did as they were ordered, and Sukhbataar mounted his own horse. The animal sensed Sukhbataar's aggression, his rage, and it seemed to influence the animal. It appeared uncontrollable, eager to charge down the hill. His rifle locked and loaded, his men around him as well ready for the inevitable charge, they had left Nergui to bleed to death, unarmed and without clothes, kept in company with Ganzorig's corpse.
Soon, the rockets erupted in the surrounding hills, a crescent of fire and smoke lighting up all around them. Dozens of rocket struck the smaller hangar, which quickly erupted in a great ball of white fire, burning and exploding with a speed that surprised Sukhbataar. The building quickly collapsed on itself. The next barrage of rockets struck the barracks, blinding fire consuming the small, squat buildings quickly. Each building was struck perfectly, and Sukhbataar turned back to Nergui and complimented the screaming man on the accuracy of his unit. The final few rockets, four in total, struck the command bunker. Almost as quickly, the places where the rockets were stationed at lit up with fire.
Sukhbataar watched with binoculars down below. Survivors attempted to assemble, but many of those that came out of the buildings were not in any fighting shape. They scurried about like angry, smoking ants, and for a split second, Sukhbataar's mouth watered at the order he was about to give.

"NO PRISONERS!" The zuut screamed loudly. "NO PRISONERS!"

He and those with him charged from the hills, down into the burning base. The fires below moved like rivers, sticking to everything they touched. Alarms rang throughout the base, and as they closed in, he could hear the screams of the dying. Still, his cries echoed throughout his Zuut, now assembled in small units behind him. Over and over again, the cries came with fury, No Prisoners.
Sukhbataar took aim with his rifle at the nearest group of men, some of whom instinctively put u[ their hands in surrender. He pulled the trigger again and again, firing with wild, mad precision, his face that of a frenzied berserker made lustful with blood. Men fell, wounds gaping in their chests and stomachs. Body parts exploded outwards as the heavy 8mm Mauser rifle rounds ripped through their skulls and bore great holes through their chest cavities. Those who lay on the ground, wounded and crying, were trampled. Behind him, Sukhbataar could hear the ratattatt of Thompsons along with the thundering roar of storming rifles and laughed maniacally at the screams of his victims. He emptied clip after clip into his enemies, and still they came.
Finally, he had no more rifle rounds to fire, and quickly slung it over his shoulder, grabbing his Remington from the loop in his saddle. Taking aim with the first shot, he separated a soldier's leg from his body at the knee. Other men tried to run, grab rifles, charge the horse and dismount the Mongols. They fought valiantly. They died. Another shot, and Sukhbataar took off another man's head at the neck. The men who stayed were killed. The men who ran were killed. Two more dead at Sukhbataar's hand, their guts opened for the world to see.
The slaughter raged on for another hour, mostly executing stragglers. Overall, Sukhbataar counted just over three hundred dead at their hands. The rest burned up with the fires of the rockets, the superheated payloads turning to ash and liquid all they touched. He ordered his men to take trophies, and he found himself laden with a half dozen skulls of his own.

There were no further incidents as they returned, having destroyed the command bunker with what explosives they could find. They took no intelligence and simply executed the commander, throwing him into one of the still burning barracks after binding his hands behind him and his ankles. Sukhbataar left Nergui to bleed to death, not bothering to give him the noble death he begged for, but took his old friend Ganzorig back. They would give him a proper Mongol funeral once they arrived back at the base. Still, it wasn't until they crossed back into Mongol territories of the Sichuan that Sukhbataar allowed himself to sleep. He no longer had that terror that possessed him earlier, having forgotten it in the heat of slaughter. Still, he had lost twelve men thanks to his anger, not counting Ganzorig. A part of him knew that the group would have easily been defeated had they only used the rockets and simply retreated afterwards.

Sukhbataar returned triumphantly, his forces weary but chanting loudly behind him as they entered into the massive campground. None of the others appeared happy or victorious, but Sukhbataar paid them no mind, letting his men have their glory for now. He left them behind as he dismounted his horse, and headed for the Mingghan's offices.
Inside the Mingghan's office was an image that would be burned into his memory. Naranbataar Mingghan's severed head sat in the middle of his desk, rotting already. He saw no corpse, but a tremendous amount of blood in the Mingghan's office. Sitting behind the desk was short but broad figure. As he looked up at Sukhbataar from behind the Mingghan's maggot covered head, Sukhbataar recognized him. The one eyed man, his face covered in a spiderweb of horrific scars and pockmarks was the Tumen, HIS Tumen.
"Naranbataar has been executed by my hand for dereliction of duty," the old battle worn man rasped out as he stood slowly. His powerful build creaked and groaned, joints cracking. It was then that Sukhbataar saw the bloody sword in the corner of the office behind the Tumen. The lifefluid was already turning black and had dried long ago. "He flagrantly disobeyed orders of the Noyan, and by extension the will of the Sichuan Ordu, and in ignoring the growing threats within the province has put the region at risk." The Tumen knocked the severed head of the Mingghan to the ground, the maggots feasting on the rotting flesh scattering everywhere. The head rolled to Sukhbataar's feet.
"Tell me now, with no hesitation, why you have been ignoring the orders of the Noyan?" The Tumen smiled, but there was not a hint of kindness behind that face. Instead, Sukhbataar was reminded of a ravenous shark moving in for the kill. What should he do?

A.) Address the Tumen appropriately then prostrate ourselves before the Tumen and beg for mercy, putting everything on the Mingghan with regards to orders. If your men learn of this, you may lose their respect, but it is guaranteed to save your life and the lives of your men.

B.) Address the Tumen appropriately and tell the truth that the Mingghan had given us the choice of orders to obey, but made it clear that he felt the most militarily important one was the attacking of the airships across the border. It was our choice, based on our experiences in the region, to perform the Noyan's duties after we had completed the Mingghan's mission. This choice will allow you to keep the respect of your men, but it certainly puts your neck on the chopping block by stating that you made a conscious decision to put the Mingghan's orders above that of the Noyan, and apparently the will of the Ordu, though you did not know they were one in the same.

C.) Curse the Tumen, kill him, and flee south with your Zuut to live as raiders in the KMT. Your experiences in the regions just across the border tell you that their lands are ripe for the taking. Perhaps in time you could become a warlord yourself. This will drastically change the adventure, and for a time we will barely survive, if we survive at all. There is also no guarantee that our men will not turn on us the second they realize what has happened.

Cassidy

Arcane
C

With the degree of honor shown around, it's clear Sukhbataar will sooner or later get backstabbed, so why not take his chances away from the den of snakes?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I shall update soon. Probably by Thursday or so.
I didn't realize it, but each update is essentially 5-7 pages long.
And remember, less conversations now because his chief lieutenant Ganzorig is dead.
So there's that to deal with.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Choice B chosen

Sukhbataar stood before the Tumen quietly but resolutely. His thoughts drifted momentarily to Ganzorig, his lieutenant. His friend. Ganzorig had advised him, helped guide him, throughout so many difficult periods, helping him to navigate murky waters. Now he was alone, and for the first time, it hit Sukhbataar hard. He felt a momentary gasp escape him, as though he'd had the wind knocked from his belly. He looked at the Tumen, who waited patiently, his bloody hands folded neatly over the late Mingghan's desk.
"Tumen," Sukhbataar began slowly, "I was given a choice. The Mingghan gave me the discretion of choosing my mission, and under his recommendation I chose to cross the border and destroy an air base in mid construction. It was a mistake for several reasons, the first of which is that it was not the will of the Noyan, nor the Ordu. The second was because the intelligence was wrong. There were no airships present, only unfinished planes. The third-"
"Unfinished planes?" the Tumen asked, leaning in, suddenly interested. His one keen eye burned a hole into Sukhbataar's face, and Sukhbataar felt that cold fear begin to grip him. His mind fluttered from a lack of sleep for six straight days before he could answer.
"Yes, Tumen, over thirty of them. They were unfinished. They had no propellers, and while the tail fins were mounted, they appeared not to be mounted properly, missing the back end." The Tumen leaned back into the chair, satisfied. "The third reason was because when it was revealed to Nergui that the intelligence was incorrect, he refused to acknowledge this as an acceptable answer and attempted to arrest me and my men for treason and incompetence. In the ensuing firefight, my lieutenant, Ganzorig, was killed. My friend." Sukhbataar paused for a moment as his voice and breath shook, and he had to forcefully take deep breaths so that he could continue. "My friend. I disabled Nergui, commandeered his men, and opened fire upon the airfield. I then led a charge. We wiped them out, but my recklessness cost the lives of twelve men, good men, including Ganzorig. My failures as a Zuut are plain for all to see. For you to see. I request only leniency towards my men."
The Tumen stood and walked over towards Sukhbataar, stopping less than a foot in front of him. The old man, his face a spiderweb of deep and shallow scars, pockmarks, and powder burns, looked at him with his one squinty eye. Sukhbataar stood strong, not defiant, as he had no right to be, but strong nonetheless, unwavering.
"What to do with you," the Tumen began, his voice raspy and deep like granite. "If the Mingghan had followed orders from above, he would have learned, as we did some two days after you were ordered over the border, that the intelligence was incorrect, that there were no airships. You are an able bodied commander, bloodthirsty and intelligent, as any Mongol should be. I cannot fault you for that. However, if given the choice between obeying the chain of command versus your immediate superior, you choose your superior, whether you have been pressured to do so or otherwise. Ignoring the Noyan's will is to spit on the Khagan, as far as I am concerned. For that you will be punished, and only you. The losses your men have suffered should be punishment enough for them. And if what can be said of Nergui can be verified by those men around you, and each shall be interviewed most vigorously, then we must certainly take into account the fact that Nergui himself may have been at worst a traitor, and at best a man who placed his self interest above that of the Empire. Considering the circumstances, it is both easy and difficult to find fault with your actions. Therefore, let the punishment fit the crime. At dawn, you are to be stripped naked and receive one hundred lashes in full view of your men. Until then, you are to be held chained and in custody."
Sukhbataar lay on the dirt floor. The collars of the chains bit deeply into his wrists and ankles, leaving the exposed flesh red and raw. The stinging was nothing compared to what was to come tomorrow though. He could feel a dread building within him, and even after six days of no sleep, of no rest, it would still not come to him. He couldn't close his eyes. Every time he did, he could feel eyes upon him. It was like his skin was crawling with them, gazing upon him, tiny ants everywhere, in his skin, on him. It forced him to stay awake. And all he could think about when he was awake was his failures, and his friend. He was becoming a man trapped between two hells.
In the darkness of the dry cell, he stared at the wall, as if in a trance. The last moments of Ganzorig's life played over and over again. He realized he couldn't even see his friend's face in the darkness. He didn't know if Ganzorig was surprised, saddened, angry, or in pain when he died. It troubled him, and try as he might, he couldn't fit a face to the imagery. No face would do. All he could see again and again and again was his lieutenant. No. His friend. Falling down, twisting as the bullet ripped through his head, turning him around as he fell to his stomach. Again and again and again and again. As he thought about it more and more, he could hear the chittering whispers of something, and for the briefest of moments, he was lulled to sleep by the sweetest of voices.
Sukhbataar had to be kicked to be awoken, and still his mind was groggy. He was dragged from his cell and made to stand, and still his body swayed. The bucket of cold water did it. And he jumped to attention, reaching for a gun that wasn't there, and remembering where he was as the metal collars bit into him, making him wince ever so slightly.
"If you think that's bad, just wait," one of the jailers said laughing. Sukhbataar said nothing as he was brought from the cells, through the courtyard and out of the fortress. Before him stood hundreds of men, more than simply his Zuut. The chains were unlocked and fell from him loudly, and in the cold, still dripping with water, he was stripped naked. His men said nothing, their heads bowed in shame, but the men of other Zuuts laughed and jeered. His face turned white with anger, but he said nothing. Let them jeer. I will have mine soon enough. He could feel the anger well up in him as his legs were kicked out from under him by a guard from behind. This wasn't part of it. He wasn't supposed to be treated like this. Not like this. He was pulled up by his hair, and quickly knives were out.
He spat and cursed, attempting to fight his attackers, but his arms couldn't move, wouldn't move. They did something to me! They drugged me in my sleep! All he could do was curse and growl angrily as the men laughed, viciously shaving his moustache completely from his face. They then grabbed his head and brought the blades to his scalp. He shook his head, trying to free himself from their grasp, but one of the men latched on tightly.
"Easy now, Zuut," he whispered, his foul breath turning white in the cold, "wouldn't want us to slip with knives now, would you? Let us have our fun, and we won't cut you up."
Sukhbataar stilled himself, and the guards looked to the crowd, as if this proved their superiority. The Zuut kept his eyes downcast, his lips pressed thin in rage, his teeth gnashing behind his them. They shaved his head, though doing a poor job of it. He was nicked, cut, and sliced seemingly a dozen times at least, but he did not say a word, if only out of spite, to deny the bastards their satisfaction. I will have mine.
When they finished, they dragged him to a nearby cart and tied him to the side of it. Sukhbataar stood, shaking with cold and nervous energy. Waiting. He could hear the unraveling of the bullwhips as they lazily rolled about on the cold dirt ground. The crowd cheered, but Sukhbataar did not look at them. Instead, he focused on a single spot on the wall of the cart, and glared at it. He heard the cracks of the whips, but they sounded distant to him, as he focused.
When the first blow landed, he was shaken from whatever trance he had put himself in. He jumped out of reaction, but did not immediately feel the bite of the whip. And then he felt it. He tried to focus on that same spot of wood, but the second blow landed, and there was no delay this time. He felt it immediately. The crowd counting out the blows now. One after the other.
Sukhbataar could feel blood trickling down his back, splattering with each blow. His body lunged forward, and he grunted. Another blow and another and he was twisting, grunting. He couldn't focus, he couldn't keep still, and the blows rained down. Another blow, and he yelled out, shaking the cart with such tremendous force, his powerful muscles trying to tear themselves out of his skin to get away. He screamed out in anger, in anguish, and he could see blood splattering now against the wood of the cart, staining it. Around his feet, a sticky mud was forming. The crowd laughed, jeered.

And he screamed.

Sukhbataar did not pass out. Throughout the entire punishment, he could not. And when they finally untied him, he slowly turned to his tormentors, and glared at them, as if memorizing their features. A hush fell over the crowd as he gave one final yell, rasping, angry, defiant. Hellish. He pointed a powerful hand at one, then the other. And then he fell over.
His men rushed forward, shoving the Tumen's guards out of the way. Threats were made, and rifles were cocked in anger. The guards backed off. He was carried carefully to a tent, muttering about something unintelligibly. His men thought him delusional from the pain. And he could not close his eyes. Anger would not let him. With care, his wounds were tended to. Sukhbataar would live.
Word spread quickly throughout the camp. He was recovering, quickly. He did not speak to anyone, but he was recovering. His men would not let anyone see him, and when the guards who had so enjoyed administering the punishment attempted to enter one night while drunk, they were beaten within inches of their lives. Sukhbataar was conscious throughout it all. Even when he slept, if it was sleep, he heard everything. He understood it all. And the nighttime chittering stopped.
A week had passed, and he had yet to make an appearance since the incident, as his men referred to it. Each of his men stood behind him, and if it had been ordered, they would not have followed another. Not that the Tumen would have been so foolish.
Sukhbataar sat quietly in his tent. He was naked, and his wounds were inflamed, itching and in constant pain. He grit through it every which way he could. He slept on his stomach, drank water regularly, changed his bandages, even cleaned his wounds daily, going so far as to let them breath in open air from time to time each day. A healer had told him his wounds would heal fine, leaving vicious scars. He did not care. He did not understand what he was thinking, what he was feeling, but it angered him greatly. Perhaps shame, sorrow, regret. Something more. Even with the pain, he could think clearly now. And he did not dwell on Ganzorig. He mourned his friend, and now he was gone. The men of his Zuut had burned the body, given him a pyre worthy of his name. That was all that could be asked of them, asked of him at this point, and so he did not tally further on it.
He sighed before deeply taking a swig of a bottle of rice wine. It was made locally, fermented and fresh. It numbed him. He hated it. It calmed him. He hated it. It soothed him. And he hated it still. He did not want to be calm, soothed, numb. He wanted to feel it all, every indignity, every injustice, every drop of wrathful anger overflowing from his cup like poison. And he would feed it to them all if he could. Outside, he heard scuffling, some shouting. The Tumen's voice was low, and the shouting stopped.
The Tumen entered, along with a small man, a bureaucrat perhaps, following close behind. A yes man perhaps. The bureaucrat, the tiny little Chinaman, the yellow dog, carried with him a leather satchel. He wore thick glasses, and was hunched over, in traditional chinese attire for a servant. He muttered something to the Tumen that Sukhbataar did not quite hear. The Tumen grunted.
"You are Sukhbataar Zuut," the Chinese man began. It wasn't a question so much as a statement. His ridiculous accent was thick, he was ridiculous, and so Sukhbataar did not answer. The Chinaman did not care. "You saw planes not put together." From the satchel he pulled out pictures, photographs. Photographs of planes. "Were any of these something you saw?" The Chinaman laid out the pictures on Sukhbataar's bed, and for a moment, the Zuut did not move. The Tumen grunted loudly, and Sukhbataar then turned. No sulking. He looked each picture over carefully, one after the other, before settling on one that had the same design as what he saw, sharp angles, a hard front nose, like a needle, wide wings. He handed the photo back to the Chinaman quietly. The yellow bastard bowed submissively before leaving the tent. The Tumen did not follow, and Sukhbataar glanced in his general's direction.
"I see you were treated appropriately," the Tumen remarked, motioning towards Sukhbataar's horrifically shaven head and bare face. "Nothing stings so much as the wounding of a man's pride, even the lash pales in comparison." Sukhbataar grunted out, neither in agreement or in acknowledgement of his lord. The Tumen continued. "You are an interesting problem, a situation that I must find a way to creatively deal with. Your men are loyal to you to a fault. They will not follow another. And I would not give them another Zuut. There is not one with your capability in the entire province. Therefore, I must deal with you more creatively. I will be foolish and give you a choice. To the west, in the mountains, a rebel group is growing in power and strength. In two weeks time since your Mingghan had been made aware of them, they had managed to arm themselves and eliminate two outposts further. In addition, a half dozen villages from the surrounding landscape have joined in. Bandits are roaming the countryside as well, striking from beyond the border. They call themselves the People's Army. Many were trained in the Ottoman Republic apparently. I will give you leeway in how you handle things. Tomorrow, tell me what you are going to do."

A.) Inform the Tumen we will arm ourselves and attack the mountain rebels, as we should have when we were made aware of the threat. Arming ourselves will take several days.

B.) Inform the Tumen we will arm ourselves and attack the mountain rebels, as we should have when we were made aware of the threat. Arming ourselves will take several days. In the meantime, we may revenge ourselves on his guards. Let them know they are truly fucked.

C.) Inform the Tumen we will immediately pursue the bandits. Besides standard armament, we will not need to resupply, and can leave in the morning.

D.) Inform the Tumen we will immediately pursue the bandits. Besides standard armament, we will not need to resupply, and can leave in the morning. We can still revenge ourselves against his guards, but it will be hastily done and they will not suffer the way they should.

E.) Fuck the Tumen. The Zuut is loyal to you. They have proven this again and again. Tomorrow, murder the Tumen in the most ruthless way possible, and do the same to his guards, making them watch their lord and protector go before them.

Cassidy

Arcane
E

The Tumen scum obviously is not aware of an important lesson, and he won't breath much longer to realize the mistake:

"Upon this, one has to remark that men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge. " - Niccolo Machiavelli

To hell with being the bitch of such dishonorable scum that rewards bravery with undeserved humiliation and misery. Kill them all!

Baltika9

Arcane
While I agree with the sentiment, revenge is a dish best served cold.
B. Provoke our offenders and let them conspire a revenge.
When we come back as victors with the rebels' weapons as spoils and our enemy will seek to punish our offense, then shall we strike.

oscar

Arcane
A. We need to deal with these mountain rebels before they grow even stronger.

B. We need to restore morale to the lads

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom