Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I like this game.

If you try and play it as a CoD FPS it's shit.

If you sperg out and meticulously explore, perform non-lethal takedown on 90% of enemies (no kills besides bosses), don't trip alarms (Smooth Operator award), hack every computer, and don't get seen (Ghost award), this game feels much more rewarding. Enemy AI isn't perfect, but the stealth is quite enjoyable.

Bullshit. The stealth is laughably broken and easy. Combat is the better playstyle, but not by much.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The stealth and combat would've have both been so much better if they had just made the AI even a tiny bit like Batman: AA. The fact that the guards don't react at all when numerous members of said guards go missing is a disease which all stealth games must purge. Nothing shatters atmosphere worse, especially noticeable because the game is designed around creating atmosphere.

DraQ

Arcane
Why did everyone bitch about the bossfights so much
Because they sucked in nearly every single way possible.

The areas sucked, they were obvious arenas, disconnected from everything else and not part of wider context (context you could also use).
The fights didn't take into account many of your character development avenues.
The fights started with cringeworthy cutscenes featuring AJ's incompetence and derp, and preventing obvious preparations (when first playing I was carrying a hacked turret around when nearing Barret, because I expected it to become useful - well, it would if I wasn't forced to drop it).
The fights were retarded mechanically, with bosses taking humongous amount of gunfire to take down in stark contrast to all the other enemies who did behave like (sometimes augmented) humans rather than MBTs.
The fights also didn't allow nonlethal which didn't really affected me personally, but it set them apart from everything else even further.
The above points sum why the fights felt completely anti-DX which was grating.
The bosses themselves sucked, because they played no purpose in the story other than giving you a bunch of faces to take out your anger on. They were non-characters and they just as well might have been ordinary specops mooks like all the other without changing single thing about the story.

The only bossfight I almost liked was Yelena as it was somewhat atmospheric (DX1/GiTS style) and the "arena" made most sense to be isolated (ammo and weapons stored there didn't, though).

How bizarre was that final boss fight without Missing Link setting it up?
It was bad even with it.
The entire Hyron project felt like something they threw in just to make antagonist more unambiguously evil to avoid confusing retards and the only thing about it were creepy terminal messages.
It was the strongest one mechanically, though (that's not saying much) including ability to shoot the bitch through glass with laser.
:incline:

Gozma

Arcane
It was nice enough to get a break from sneaking and to be able to use half the shit I was hauling around in my inventory that I was willing to play a completely different game for a while. The three bosses being completely pointless blanks storywise was a nice example of "development for marketing"

Was the story with the Hyron project thing that Darrow originally wanted it for his "cover" reason (supercomputer for his Panchea things) while some other Illuminati people like Zhou and Bob Page wanted it to be the puppet master God that could directly control anyone that had the TYM chip? Then Darrow sabotaged the system rather than let that happen? Or was the cover reason always bullshit and Darrow just decided to blow it all up at the last second?

DraQ

Arcane
It was nice enough to get a break from sneaking and to be able to use half the shit I was hauling around in my inventory that I was willing to play a completely different game for a while.
User shit you carry around in your inventory is more fun if the target reacts appropriately rather than taking dozens of headshots without flinching.

Was the story with the Hyron project thing that Darrow originally wanted it for his "cover" reason (supercomputer for his Panchea things) while some other Illuminati people like Zhou and Bob Page wanted it to be the puppet master God that could directly control anyone that had the TYM chip? Then Darrow sabotaged the system rather than let that happen? Or was the cover reason always bullshit and Darrow just decided to blow it all up at the last second?
Hyron as godhood testbed? That's actually an interating angle and one I haven't considered.

:bro:
for that.

Still doesn't explain the female only shit and all that.
You'd think such a testbed would be tailored to reflect the actual neural hub setup and range of hosts more closely.
And why did Zhao plug in in the end?
Even if it was supposed to be the "throne room" if this interpretation is correct.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't think there's anything in DX:HR lore that suggests any connection whatsoever between the Hyron project and the Illuminati's plan for augmentation control. The latter seems to have fairly pedestrian goals, when it comes down to it.

But then, the only person you meet who actually explains it to you is the mild-mannered Taggart.

DraQ

Arcane
The stealth and combat would've have both been so much better if they had just made the AI even a tiny bit like Batman: AA. The fact that the guards don't react at all when numerous members of said guards go missing is a disease which all stealth games must purge. Nothing shatters atmosphere worse, especially noticeable because the game is designed around creating atmosphere.
ITZ like this thing DraQ was talking about.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I found a great summary on Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

tooms.gif

Gozma

Arcane
I thought Taggart was in kind of the "mainstream Illuminati" faction that ran Picus, Bob Page was in the mad science godhood immortality faction as usual. Directly controlling people through the chip I could have sworn I picked up somewhere as the original purpose of the TYM chip plot, plus there was the thing with the hacker guy that was forced to shoot himself in the first mission.

DraQ

Arcane
Directly controlling people through the chip I could have sworn I picked up somewhere as the original purpose of the TYM chip plot.
Indeed, or at least killswitch, with Darrow trying to get actual control or at least realizing its possibility instead.
I never really considered Hyron to be potentially part of this so I treated it as unrelated derp.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
:necromancy:

After playing through Invisible War (which was meh, but not half as bad as glittering gems told me) my body is ready for the Human Evolution, but i have a question. Which version should get? On this page it says that it mostly improves crappy boss fights and adds some bonus content like commentaries from devs, but i think i've read here and elsewhere that it also makes some things worse.
So what is it. Do you suggest vanilla or DC or maybe there are more different versions than that?

ps: Unrealted: if i want to replay original DX, can you point to thread on Codex or a good site, where all the best mods are listed and described. Search is shit here and google is even more shit.

Ninjerk

Arcane
:necromancy:

After playing through Invisible War (which was meh, but not half as bad as glittering gems told me) my body is ready for the Human Evolution, but i have a question. Which version should get? On this page it says that it mostly improves crappy boss fights and adds some bonus content like commentaries from devs, but i think i've read here and elsewhere that it also makes some things worse.
So what is it. Do you suggest vanilla or DC or maybe there are more different versions than that?

ps: Unrealted: if i want to replay original DX, can you point to thread on Codex or a good site, where all the best mods are listed and described. Search is shit here and google is even more shit.
I don't think they even sell vanilla DX:HR.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I found there is ''Complete Edition'', which lists:
This Complete Edition includes:

* Deus Ex: Human Revolution (main game)
* Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link
* Explosive Mission Pack
* Tactical Enhancement Pack

This is NOT the Director's Cut version of the game
It's the initial version with all the DLCs and
patches. Comparing with the Director's Cut this one
includes 2 additional languages: Polish and
Russian. Game version is v1.4.651.0, The Missing
Link DLC version is v1.4.66.0
Prolly should go with this.

Ninjerk

Arcane
That sounds like one of the preorder versions. Let me know how the pissfilter treats you. I didn't know what to make of it not being there in the DC.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So basically the sole difference is piss filter? I saw the comparison on tube and can't decide form my self which is better. Without the filter everything seems too greyish, but with it everything's a bit too bright.

Ninjerk

Arcane
So basically the sole difference is piss filter? I saw the comparison on tube and can't decide form my self which is better. Without the filter everything seems too greyish, but with it everything's a bit too bright.
I don't know if that's the sole difference. I know it's a big part of it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The DC is supposed to have AI improvements (same AI as missing link, never played it or DC so can't tell you what it does), boss fight improvements, missing link integrated, and a more advanced lighting engine.

It mostly removes the piss filter, which I agree was a mistake. It also has worse textures in many places because the company that did the port used Wii versions for some reason.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What possible improvements can you make on popamole AI? How often they duck?
I think something to do with how they react to suspicious activity, like I said I haven't played either one to say.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Some of you said that hacking minigame is surprisingly good and i kinda agree. It's relatively fun and needs some planning ahead. For a minigame that is. But FFS, there are so many computers, terminals, locks and other hackable shit in this game, that you have to literally spend half of the game doing them. I'm only at level 3 terminal hacking now and relatively early in the game (final stages of Detroit), but have already been fed up by this. Would use the autohack tool-thing, if they weren't so scarce, more often. I don't even want to think about mega complex webs of lvl 4-5 terminals in the later game.

The problem is, hacking give a lotof XP and goodies and it's also counter productive not to use it once you acquired the skill. But it would probably be a more fun game just running and gunning with a shared portion of stealth, instead of never ending went cruising and hacking all the lasers turrets off just to get past the foes quietly. It's a Deus Ex alright, never ending vents and terminals is a staple of the franchise, but i'm starting to think that i could use a mod for instant hacking that works the same way New Vegas mod of equivalent function does. Is there one?

edit: On the top of that the chance of success seems still way too random. Even with increased skills i can get detected right with the first action (whether node travel or building shield) right from the first attempt 3-4 times in a row and then, suddenly i go an travel 5-6 nodes uninterrupted. Seems like a lottery to me.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
How the fduck do you save Malik from that ambush? Some smatasses on net say it's like it's nothing. I tried about 10 times already using different tactics and she dies in a course of 5-6 seconds since the start of scene no matter what i do. There's just enough time.
My methods:
1 snipe as many heavy gunners asap then go and lay typhoon when bot appears.
2 get down and throw all three gas tanks around the perimeter of heli and try to shoot/typhoon as many as possible afterwards.
3 run down and simply shoot gunners from close range with revolver or combat rifle as fast as possible

The funny thing that i manage to take down around 5-6 gunners before the transformer box with a bot is thrown in. Around the time the bot even appears Malik is already whispering her death farewell. Also, typhoon is kinda shit in that it has so small radius i can't take down more than 2 guys at once. They are running all around an never in a tight bunch.

I know it's not imperative to save her, but i'm infuriating about this shit and have to get the shit done somehow no matter what. Share your experiences with this mission. I'm laying the none-director's cut version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom