Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Would this version be good for a first playthrough though ?

Gord

Arcane
I think so, the boss fights, which were one of the biggest faults of DX:HR should be improved in the DC, otherwise it's the same, only with some new bugs and minor graphical adjustments.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm amazed that fixing some broken textures takes them so fucking long.
But maybe they have just abandoned the game.
I think they fixed most of the issues, that or I don't see them anymore (though I can't remember if I ever had them to begin with).

The texture scaling is not 100% identical to the old version but in many ways the way it was done before was kinda weird. For example, the super-tiny tiles in apartment floors have been replaced with larger and more "realistic", for lack of a better term, ones, same with the floorboards in Jensen's apartment. The obvious bugs like the convenience storefront with a black hole are also gone.

The only issues remaining I noticed are the lack of reflections on cars, and the weird corrupt floor texture in the Sarif HQ, but honestly if you never told me those were wrong I likely would have never noticed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Would this version be good for a first playthrough though ?

No, I would say play the original for sure. The gold tint is really what the look of the whole game was based around and it looks weird without it. Also the cheat weapons and items given to you in the DC are silly, and integrating the mission DLC fucks with the pace and your powers at the end. Play it how it was built and intended to be played.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Of course if you don't already have it this is complicated by Steam not selling the original release anymore (WTF Squeenix), you can only buy the DC. And its a Steamworks game, you gotta activate it through there. So you'd have to either go through another vendor (not sure how?) or sail the high seas.

I'm usually anti-piracy but if pirating the game is the only way to play it how it was intended then dammit man, that's what you gotta do.

Sodafish

Arcane
The piss filter never bothered me one bit anyway. I can't understand the fuss about it; colour grading is common as muck in films, so why not games?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The piss filter never bothered me one bit anyway. I can't understand the fuss about it; colour grading is common as muck in films, so why not games?

Well they did go a little overboard in some areas. Problem is you can't just yank it all out either, the visuals were designed around having it there. It was what it was, for better or worse.

Shralla

Educated
Wish they could have just taken the yellow away and left in the rest of the post-processing.

Gord

Arcane
I think it should be possible to adjust it a bit with SweetFX, though.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm amazed that fixing some broken textures takes them so fucking long.
But maybe they have just abandoned the game.
I think they fixed most of the issues, that or I don't see them anymore (though I can't remember if I ever had them to begin with).

The texture scaling is not 100% identical to the old version but in many ways the way it was done before was kinda weird. For example, the super-tiny tiles in apartment floors have been replaced with larger and more "realistic", for lack of a better term, ones, same with the floorboards in Jensen's apartment. The obvious bugs like the convenience storefront with a black hole are also gone.

The only issues remaining I noticed are the lack of reflections on cars, and the weird corrupt floor texture in the Sarif HQ, but honestly if you never told me those were wrong I likely would have never noticed.

I disagree. The textures in the pictures in the thread I posted look fucking awful. In no way do any of them look more "realistic" or anything similar, just blurry or low res. None of them in that forum post that I linked have been fixed.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I disagree. The textures in the pictures in the thread I posted look fucking awful. In no way do any of them look more "realistic" or anything similar, just blurry or low res. None of them in that forum post that I linked have been fixed.
I specifically started the game after seeing those shots and very few of them looked that way for me. Maybe the issue is hardware-dependent to some degree?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just played a few hours of the DC and the original in the same place, the FEMA base. The only real obvious difference to me was the lighting changes, which really fucked up the whole look. I think the textures and such look worse in the DC in some cases because the lighting wasn't made to compliment them. Seriously the FEMA base looks like a fucking grey blob in the DC.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do a screenshot comparison?

Ehhhhhhh... I already deleted the dicrector's cut. I'll see about re-downloading it sometime soon and loading those saves. Probably after I finish the new Bioshock DLC so I can remove that 40GB fucker from my HDD.

imweasel

Man, the directors cut looks like shit compared to the original. I loved that gold filter, it was something different and gave the game a graphically unique charm. I have never seen anybody complain about the filter before... Did they remove it because of some stupid fucking whiny steam-tards or something?

Anyway, I bought the DC when it was on sale and was planning another playthrough in the near future. Now I kind of wish I hadn't activated it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Honestly that kind of tells you everything you need to know right there. A ton of lighting was removed and it made all the textures and such look flat and uninteresting. That comparison applies to the whole game. It's more exaggerated in some areas, less in others.

It even applies to still images, like looking up at Sarif's skyscraper. Before there was glowing golden lights and shit, now they're flat and it makes the whole thing look 2D.

The game was designed for gold, as originally presented. Looks shit without it.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I think they actually somehow disabled all post processing, not just the gold filter. The gold filter falls under that though. I think. So it's not really a design change, it's more like they completely left out a huge graphics option.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Playing it for the first time (didn't have the pc for it actually) and while I've yet to make my opinion on this game, one thing that annoys me immensely is how badly this whole cinematography bullshit and gaming experience works together. It's not even about loving/hating one or another, it's just that mixing them up breaks immersion almost immediately. Like, so I'm taking the apparently stealthy roof entrance into that first factory and I have to climb the roof.

First, I need to get on a huge metal crate and while there's a stepladder nearby said fucking crate, of course my agent is too augmented to climb it - no, I have to push a crate and jump on it. Second, on that roof I have to get past a broken transformer and, while that thing looks totally climbable, of course you can't climb it and the real solution is to move an, ahem, incospicious crate aside and crawl through a conveniently placed empty space (which is seemingly to fucking small for our agent to fit).

At this point I alt+tab the game and go to the codex to post this. Honestly, why even bother with all the cinematography talk if you're gonna do shit like this from the very beginning? Mind you, it's not like I dreamed of cinematic desu ex - I just don't get the point.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Playing it for the first time (didn't have the pc for it actually) and while I've yet to make my opinion on this game, one thing that annoys me immensely is how badly this whole cinematography bullshit and gaming experience works together. It's not even about loving/hating one or another, it's just that mixing them up breaks immersion almost immediately. Like, so I'm taking the apparently stealthy roof entrance into that first factory and I have to climb the roof.

First, I need to get on a huge metal crate and while there's a stepladder nearby said fucking crate, of course my agent is too augmented to climb it - no, I have to push a crate and jump on it. Second, on that roof I have to get past a broken transformer and, while that thing looks totally climbable, of course you can't climb it and the real solution is to move an, ahem, incospicious crate aside and crawl through a conveniently placed empty space (which is seemingly to fucking small for our agent to fit).

At this point I alt+tab the game and go to the codex to post this. Honestly, why even bother with all the cinematography talk if you're gonna do shit like this from the very beginning? Mind you, it's not like I dreamed of cinematic desu ex - I just don't get the point.
Not sure what you mean about cinematography, but I agree that it's a tough level design problem to properly communicate which parts of the level are interactive, without the non-interactive bits being misleading or conflicting with what the game mechanics allow.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Hence, object highlighting. Someone got cute with me for criticizing it (because it's possible to disable) but the game is designed with it on.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hence, object highlighting. Someone got cute with me for criticizing it (because it's possible to disable) but the game is designed with it on.

Played it from the very begining with it off, never had a problem. Maybe you're one of those modern gamers who needs assistance.

This has nothing to do with "cinematography" (WTF?) but yes the game world is not as "tangible," for lack of a better word, as the original was. I don't think there's a problem showing what you can mess with, it's more that you can only mess with things they specifically allowed. You CAN stack dumpsters in the city to reach things, and you CAN make some weird rooftop jumps to access things, but overall it does not have the same level of environmental interaction as the original. It did bother me on several occasions, and it's why there are way too many fucking vents in the game. That said, the game is still very good.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Played it from the very begining with it off, never had a problem. Maybe you're one of those modern gamers who needs assistance.

I'm one of those modern gamers that doesn't pick up every piece of popamole trash I can get my hands on because I'm desperate for entertainment. That said, from what little I played I don't think the game is trash, but the way they implemented object highlighting is dubious at best.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Object highlighting becomes absolute necessity in specific situation: poorly designed maps, a lot of distracting junk, unclear distinction between interactive and uninteractive objects.

Now the situation is just as common as stupidity of game developers. I bet hardly anybody really noticed. Too few games where player route is supposed to be more complicated than going through a straight corridor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom