Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

cat_its_beautiful.jpg

So, how worthwhile is the Director's Cut? Sounds like the main change is to the bosses (are they good enough to be worth replaying for or just less shitty?) and the DLC stuff (how lengthy/fun/important is it?).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Deus Ex: Human Rev DC is next on my list of dudebro-shooters-with-othergameplayelemnts

Deleted member 7219

So, how worthwhile is the Director's Cut? Sounds like the main change is to the bosses (are they good enough to be worth replaying for or just less shitty?) and the DLC stuff (how lengthy/fun/important is it?).

Have only played past 1st boss so far, he was just as shitty and there wasn't a non-lethal option. I didn't even go for the Typhoon option this time around because I thought there would be something else, but no. Can't use turrets or anything like that, from what I saw the only thing the turrets do is fire at you. I just had to hide in the grates and whittle his health down with a pistol and a revolver until he finally died.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/22/review-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut-wii-u/

While the first boss fight in the original Human Revolution was a single-level square room with a little cover, it's now a two-floor playground that accommodates multiple styles of play. It has secret vents to sneak through, computers to hack and hallways that let you break the enemy's line of sight. I personally took down the first boss without firing a single bullet by hacking the room's turrets and turning them on my foe.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/22/review-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut-wii-u/

While the first boss fight in the original Human Revolution was a single-level square room with a little cover, it's now a two-floor playground that accommodates multiple styles of play. It has secret vents to sneak through, computers to hack and hallways that let you break the enemy's line of sight. I personally took down the first boss without firing a single bullet by hacking the room's turrets and turning them on my foe.

That's pretty cool. It'll make a good first impression for me since I have not touched the original at all yet.

Deleted member 7219

Doesn't explain how you can hack the turrets, though. Or does that require a more advanced hacking skill?

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I hacked the turrets for the first boss. Can't remember specifically where the computer was to do it though as I managed to find the turret room last. The turrent room also has a handy punchable wall, so I hacked the turret, set it up facing the wall, punched a hole in it and retreted until he was dead. A bit anticlimatic, but you can't have everything. Not a non-lethal option, but I didn't fire a single bullet during the boss fight.

Deleted member 7219

I completely forgot there's a skill for being able to turn turrets on enemies. Now I know.

crakkie

Arcane
Non lethal requires reworking dialog, changing cutscenes, altering future plot and NPC reactions about how Barrett and the gang are still alive and imprisoned or mind wiped or turn coated or something. That's an order of magnitude more work than adding hackable turrets to the arenas and calling it a day.

Pretty much every boss encounter has vents/locked doors and computer terminals to turn turrets against enemies. Not too much variety, but at least there's choice. Too bad they didn't have time/resources to change the fully retarded boss cutscenes. On the plus side, the missing link integration brings some new life to the endgame section. The praxis point reset didn't matter since I was a fully-augmented jack-of-all-trades way before TML. The bugs are REALLY over-exaggerated by n00bs. Apart from a few texture bugs/stuttering/missing shaders everything went smooth beginning to end (update 1).

edit: The Chinese lady cutscene is still as retarded as ever and the final level is still the most pointless crap there is though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The enhanced boss fights are nice but the cheat weapons being added to the start, the cheat hacking mechanisms spread out everywhere and the fucked up lighting make the original release a better version to play IMO.

You mean the autohack tools or something? Using those instead of hacking everything in sight actually makes for some balanced character progression. My first playthrough I hacked everything in sight (even when I had the code) and praxis points just became useless at some point. The cheat weapons are the same deal with the original if you have the pre-order DLC installed (which you can't get rid of BTW). At least DC doesn't put 10000 credits in your pocket.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You mean the autohack tools or something? Using those instead of hacking everything in sight actually makes for some balanced character progression. My first playthrough I hacked everything in sight (even when I had the code) and praxis points just became useless at some point. The cheat weapons are the same deal with the original if you have the pre-order DLC installed (which you can't get rid of BTW). At least DC doesn't put 10000 credits in your pocket.

There are no essential locked doors in the game above level one, however. Investing in hacking is purely optional and not required to finish the game. So giving you a bunch of auto-hacks allows you to get the best rewards for investing in the hacking tree without doing so. Pretty stupid.

And the silenced sniper rifle is just way overpowered, especially at the start of the game. There's a reason the original release didn't offer a silencer for the sniper rifle, and had a crossbow weapon.

sser

Arcane
Developer
All this stuff sounds like it should have been patched in for free.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The original game already had no sense of difficulty whatsoever unless you played on the hardest difficulty and tried for a full stealth achievement. Any imbalance caused by DLC is akin to throwing chunks of coal into a burning oil well.

Since the game is on sale right now... is there some sort of "gain one third of standard praxis points, reduce stealth disable xp to level of kill xp" mod out there?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Nevermind, I googled the question (nope, there aren't) and remembered that Alpha Protocol had better replayability, very slightly more balanced character progression, and - subjectively speaking! - more entertainment value.

There are no essential locked doors in the game above level one, however. Investing in hacking is purely optional and not required to finish the game. So giving you a bunch of auto-hacks allows you to get the best rewards for investing in the hacking tree without doing so. Pretty stupid.

And the silenced sniper rifle is just way overpowered, especially at the start of the game. There's a reason the original release didn't offer a silencer for the sniper rifle, and had a crossbow weapon.

I find it impossible not to bump hacking to 5 as soon as possible. Everything else seems completely useless in that tree. Stealth takedowns > silenced sniper rifle. Man, why couldn't they fucking balance this turd...

Glyphwright

Did the very last boss fight with Ming Zhao or whatever the hell that Chinese whore's name is, get revamped and enriched as well? Or was it only the fights with Barret/Fedorova/Namir the Magnificent Cyberjew? Do you still kill them at the end of each fight, or are there options now? How does hacking play into this, do you get to take over turrets/robots and use them to kill the bosses?

Can anyone confirm?

Whenever I reach the final boss I pretty much turn off my brain and shoot so I didn't even bother to check for alternate stuff. Other encounters just add a separate room which can be reached via vents/locked door. You hack a terminal and turn on turrets/bots. When fighting Barrett, you have to carry them out first. They all have to die. You really don't have to shoot at any of them anymore. You still can't save during boss fights so it might take a bit of trial/error while looking for the terminals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom