Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Alpha Protocol had a similar idea with the stances and timed responses, but did it way better
I disagree, it had better content, but a worse system.

Not to mention AP had good writing and voice acting, while HR did not.
HR has excellent voice acting.

If you say so.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
It doesn't have to innovative or be the next Planescape: Torment.

Is the directors cut worth 30 potatoes?

I'd say it is worth 30 bucks, but given that it (or rather original+DLC) has been on sale multiple times already, I'd wait until the next time and grab it at 50% off or such.
Unless you really feel you need to buy it now.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
i'm reading a lot of people saying that the textures are actually worse or blown up in many places in the director's cut, and that it's overall more buggy. anyone on the codex experiencing that?

Captain Shrek

The stealth gameplay in HR is about 100x better than both Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

Is that a point? Considering that Alpha Protocol and NV have terricrap gameplay, being better than that is hardly an achievement.

xemous

Arcane
There's a reason why whenever someone post a screenshot of it, dozens of people would reinstall it immediately.
It even became a fucking meme:
Deus%20Ex.jpeg
and then uninstall a moment later when they realise it's boring

Gord

Arcane
i'm reading a lot of people saying that the textures are actually worse or blown up in many places in the director's cut, and that it's overall more buggy. anyone on the codex experiencing that?

Heard about it, too, and saw some screens. Sounds like a bug to me.
May be worth waiting a few weeks before getting it.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Is it just me, or were the camera angles during the conversation scenes always this awful? I'm constantly seeing heads dipping off centre and out of frame, Over-the-shoulder shots where the listener's head his blocking our view of the guy talking, shit like that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
minimal and broken progression mechanics,
Minimal. No. Broken? Fixed in directors cut.
In what ways they improve the progression system on the directors cut? Because on the original hacking was way too much abusable for XP farming. You could had most important augmentations pretty quickly.

Gord

Arcane
Imho one of the biggest problems was that a too large part of the augs where almost useless:
Everything to improve sneaking or the radar was completely unnecessary.
Most eye implants are of limited use.
Most augs that improve combat prowess are only useful when playing combat-focused and then there aren't that many of them anyway.
Even some of the hacking augs where not really essential (e.g. analyser, turrets, robots).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sea review: http://gamebanshee.com/reviews/112591-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut-review.html

It's hard to believe that it's been two years since Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out, and yet that's exactly the same now that Eidos has released the game's definitive Director's Cut edition. Although this final version of the game incorporates all the DLCs under one roof, the changes most fans are probably looking forward to include improved graphics, a new game plus mode that lets you carry over your character from a previously completed save file, and, last but not least, overhauled boss fights that intend to fix one of the original game's biggest flaws.

Immediately upon its release, I sat down to check out the Director's Cut and see how it fared. Despite having played the original for over a hundred hours and then generally never wanting to return (I did write our walkthrough on the game, after all), I found myself getting back into the game like an old pair of shoes - familiar, and just as comfortable as ever. And while it's definitely true that this is indeed the "best" version of Human Revolution money can buy, the question of whether it's worth the $5 or $10 upgrade for players who already enjoyed the original game is a bit harder to answer.

The New

Human Revolution was much-criticized for its boss fights, and rightly so. Contracted out to another studio to save on development time, a lack of communication between teams led to some battles which were stereotypical of big, dumb videogame boss fights. Aside from just being rather bland and poor in quality, what was most damning was that these fights effectively made all your choices in play-style and character building that Deus Ex is known for completely irrelevant, by forcing you to effectively shoot a big hulking super-soldier in the face about two hundred times.

Thankfully, this has been alleviated in the Director's Cut version of the game. Although the bosses are still something you can't avoid, now you are no longer forced to go toe-to-toe if you don't want to. Many of the boss battle arenas have been expanded in size and new options have been added for stealthy and savvy players who like to stick to the shadows. For example, take the early fight against Barret. In the original, you were effectively forced to grab an assault rifle and go to town on him while he yelled obnoxious insults at you; now, you can sneak around the much-expanded arena and hack security cameras and turrets to fight him indirectly.

This same holds true for the rest of the boss battles, which also have a fair share of options added. Overall, it's hard to complain about this change - while I would have preferred more options to bypass the fights entirely (like the killphrases from the original Deus Ex), I can understand why Eidos Montreal didn't overhaul them from the ground up. The changes made are still pretty substantial and the battles are no longer charring or disappointing, but something I actually genuinely enjoyed.

Beyond that, the changes are relatively minimal. The Missing Link, the game's DLC expansion episode, is now inserted into the main campaign rather than being a stand-alone story, meaning that now you experience it much more seamlessly, and your choices there carry over into the campaign's final hours. There's also the integration of the previously preorder-exclusive weapons and items into the game, without the "congrats for preordering!" message displaying every time you start a new game. Considering that the preorder items were not just pretty-looking goodies, but useful tools integral to the overall gameplay, it's great to see they are included as a standard feature now. New game plus mode is a nice bonus too, but I don't think people who have already enjoyed the game are going to want to go through it two or three more times.

The last significant tweak is the claimed graphical upgrade, but to be honest, this isn't very noticeable. The biggest and most obvious change is that the original game's gold filter has been toned down to allow for a wider variety of colors and a less monotonous look, but the other purported improvements, notably to lighting and special effects like fog and smoke, are borderline impossible to pick up on without doing side-by-side comparisons. Considering it's been two years since the original game released, I don't think it was too much to ask for a high-res texture pack, or improved dialogue animations (which are still as stiff as ever).

The Value Equation

The real question with Deux Ex: Human Revolution's Director's Cut isn't really whether it's worth getting, because at $20 USD, it's definitely the only version of the game a new buyer should consider. But, as it's been released as a paid enhancement rather than a free update for existing players (with variable discounts depending on if you have The Missing Link DLC or not), one has to wonder if it's really worth it.

Personally, I feel that $10 USD is a fair asking price if you played the original game but avoided getting any DLC. The Missing Link is a very good addition to the game, and the other small add-ons like the preorder items are also worthwhile if you have never played with them before. Where things break down a bit is if you already owned the game as well as all its DLC - even at $5, the changes are pretty modest unless you simply want to have the "complete" edition of the game, or are planning a replay or two.

With smaller developers like CD Projekt RED releasing free updates for their games with more additions overall, some people might even say it's unfair for Eidos to charge anything at all for the update. Regardless, it certainly would have been a good gesture for Eidos to have given players who owned both the base game and The Missing Link the update for free. Edios does deserve praise for bringing the boss battles up to par, but otherwise, the Director's Cut is a pretty meager improvement - if you've never enjoyed Human Revolution, you're in for a treat, but if you've visited Seattle and Hengsha before, you might want to look at other destinations instead.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The course of action over the lack of free update from Eidos Montreal is obvious:

(Haven't decided yet about upgrading)

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Deus Ex: HR was ok, but I think kind of bland and grossly overrated by the gaming press (which isn't a surprise as video game critics tend to reward polished mediocrity over rougher games that reach further yet don't obtain everything they are reaching for). After playing it and its DLC (which I actually found to be slightly better than the base game, strangely), I have no desire to ever play it again. Compare this to the original Deus Ex, which I've played through 4 times (which, honestly, might be the most I've ever replayed a game entirely through.....I tend not to replay stuff much). So I definitely don't think this DLC is worth 5 dollars, but honestly, I probably wouldn't replay it anyway even if it were free.

Whereas, if Alpha Protocol released a Director's Cut I'd be all over that, free or not. Alpha Protocol is a way way rougher game than HR in terms of gameplay, but its bright spots (writing, its dialogue system, the elaborate intricacy of its C&C and the way in which your choices affect the game in both subtle and not so subtle ways) make up for its flaws and so outshine anything in HR that I personally love Alpha Protocol way more than I could ever like HR. I know its dialgue system is controversial, but it's my personal favorite dialogue system of any modern RPG. It forces you to think in the moment, make snap judgements, and live with the consequences to the point that the dialogue in the game becomes way more exciting than its combat. I replayed Alpha Protocol just for its dialogue system, which I really wish more RPGs would rip off (or at least even just one other RPG. As far as I know, AP is still the only game to do that).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's so strange about liking DLC more than the main game? It's very common - the design team is more experienced and they're aiming the product towards seasoned fans.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Until the recent trend of AAA games, a lot of "mission disks" and "extra episodes" were definitely B-grade - discarded levels and models cobbled together to make a quick buck. Return to Na Pali, Thief Gold, lots of examples. Nowadays, I guess it is all pre-planned within the same sales strategy, so the quality might be more even.

Get the original Augmented Edition (includes all DLCs) here for €5.70 ($7.7) NOW:
http://www.kinguin.net/category/509/deus-ex-human-revolution-augmented-edition-steam-key/

Then get the Director's Cut as an upgrade on Steam for $5. That is how it rolls out on Steam if you have the Augmented Edition.

That way, you will also have the original game should you decide to play the original game without the Director's Cut, for whatever reason.

edit: default price for Director's Cut on Steam is $20, not $30.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Get the original Augmented Edition (includes all DLCs) here for €5.70 ($7.7) NOW:
http://www.kinguin.net/category/509/deus-ex-human-revolution-augmented-edition-steam-key/

Then get the Director's Cut as an upgrade on Steam for $5. That is how it rolls out on Steam if you have the Augmented Edition.

That way, you will also have the original game should you decide to play the original game without the Director's Cut, for whatever reason.

edit: default price for Director's Cut on Steam is $20, not $30.

Augmented Edition doesn't have Missing Link, so the price would be reduced to $10 not $5.

Ah yes, I have forgotten about that one. I haven't even played it since it comes with its own exe, acting as a standalone mission of sorts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Suchy

Arcane
And looks like it doesn't work with DC either (yup, I did edit the ini for new executalbe file). A pity, it still looks better on screenshots than DC.

Gord

Arcane
Did you consider SweetFX? Not sure if it works in DX11 mode though, have heard different things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom