Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Don Peste

Arcane
Mankind Divided release size: 76.99 GB
Repack minimum size: 19.2 GB
Actually, it's horrible 47GB. I think even legally bought game would need 3 days to download.
If you remove unnecessary videos (trailers, story recap...), languages ( :ehue::russia::outrage:...) and bonus content (books), it's 19.2 GB.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mankind Divided release size: 76.99 GB
Repack minimum size: 19.2 GB
Actually, it's horrible 47GB. I think even legally bought game would need 3 days to download.
If you remove unnecessary videos (trailers, story recap...), languages ( :ehue::russia::outrage:...) and bonus content (books), it's 19.2 GB.

It's like devs think "hey HDDs are cheap as dirt these days and everyone has terabyte hard drives anyway, so why bother reducing the install size to something manageable?"

Games these days are becoming so ridiculously bloated. Just use some fucking compression or something, for fuck's sake.

pippin

Well, I'm sure Squeenix has sponsors and investors who are also hardware manufacturers, and it wouldn't surprise me that they force the devs to do this shit. Besides, as I've been saying, gaming studios are getting too big for their own good and this means we have to give work to people who don't really matter. Plus, that caters to faggots who wante experiences. The tentpole model is fucking despicable.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's like devs think "hey HDDs are cheap as dirt these days and everyone has terabyte hard drives anyway, so why bother reducing the install size to something manageable?"

Games these days are becoming so ridiculously bloated. Just use some fucking compression or something, for fuck's sake.
It's a protection against copying. When torrent would go for 2 days, hot heads might buy the game.

Remember 400 GB game isn't impossible. (And games needs better textures.)

Don Peste

Arcane
It also takes an hour+ to install.
That's true. Although an SSD on a decent computer cuts that time almost by half.

Anyway, progress is nice, and I know my 8GB FAT16 HDD needs to retire, but useless bloat is useless bloat.

So like JarlFrank says, please use some compression, don't force me to download Romanian voiceovers (No offense to my fellow Romanian Gypsie Codexers, brofists to you, Romania stronk!), allow selective video resolution (4K, 1080, 720...), etc. And fuck the HDD lobby.

Gerrard

Arcane
Doesn't Mankind Divided still have fucking pre-rendered cutscenes? It's amazing to me that this game takes up more space than Witcher 3 with all DLC (Which had like, 27 hours of just cutscenes or something like that? Imagine if that shit was pre-rendered.).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

It's a protection against copying. When torrent would go for 2 days, hot heads might buy the game.

Remember 400 GB game isn't impossible. (And games needs better textures.)

When a game is so huge the torrent would take days, so would the normal Steam download or whatever.
Not to mention using up a huge number of DVDs in a physical release, if physical releases are still a thing.

A game being that large is a deterrent for buying to me just as much as it is a deterrent to torrent.

pippin

Physical releases only have steam keys these days. Or, they will install half of the game and the other should be installed via Steam.

Black

Arcane
Physical releases of AAA games also have pamphlets to thank you for your purchase and tips on how to be a good goy and buy more.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now apparently NuDOOM removed Denuvo with recent update.

A reddit user who claimed to be a game dev weighs in on this situation: https://www.reddit.com/user/secretlyacutekitten

Game dev here, I work for a large studio that started using Denuvo recently. I'm neutral on piracy and pirate TV shows a lot, so don't give me a hard time, certainly not here to judge.

I do want to explain what happened here, Denuvo Software Solutions offers a guarantee, if your Denuvo game is cracked within a certain time (3 months is normal), you do not have to pay for Denuvo. Part of claiming the refund is you must remove Denuvo from your game.

One of the reasons why the management of my company used it, they think it is a no lose situation. I personally think it is more nuanced, Denuvo is expensive and my management think we lose a fortune to piracy because the industry inflates the figures as I think most of you all know. My management buy in to the inflated figures and Denuvo Software Solutions of course uses them also.

Obviously I'm just a developer so not aware of the numbers but eventually I'll find out if Denuvo helped, my educated guess is that it won't help improve sales figures as much as the management hope. To protect a AAA game, Denuvo charge high 7 figure sums.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If a game has been out for six months DRM has done its job. Most of the revenue comes in around release day. When was NuDOOM cracked?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So can we actually test if denuvo affect performance or not? Inside was too light if a game to test difference. DOOM might have noticeable change

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The big question to me is whether there are any FPS gains or if it is performance neutral

Where's the before and after comparison, that's the biggest question. If Denuvo doesn't actually reduce FPS then all the arguments about it being consumer unfriendly go out the window

If you think a piece of software being consumer unfriendly or not is solely dependent on whether it actually causes a performance impact, then you're a fucking idiot.

T. Reich

Arcane
> 3 months of guaranteed protection, or your money back
> To protect a AAA game, Denuvo charge high 7 figure sums

If I was the AAA game publisher, I would probably consider hiring a team of black ops crackers who would be cracking my own games, just to make sure I don't miss out on this sweet refund policy.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you think a piece of software being consumer unfriendly or not is solely dependent on whether it actually causes a performance impact, then you're a fucking idiot.
\

>Unobtrusive

>Potentially low performance impact

What the fuck else do you want? A zero FPS drop DRM that doesn't have securom-like installation restrictions, what else do you need?

When did I say I had a right to pirate games, you fucking mongoloid? Non-sequiturs aren't doing your faulty logic any favours.

edit: nice edit, you cunt. Crawl back to Neogaf.

Last edited:

hajro

Arbiter
I pirate games cause u cucks dont deserve my money, not that i have money to buy the games i pirate anyway :russiastronk:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So the DRM companies work with pizza delivery standards now?
Pizza delivery standards that were dropped decades ago for being ineffective and killing people. I don't think the dead people will happen here but there's always room for the first one.

dag0net

Arcane
gamers should unionize, frankly for every dev that works on a game consumers prolly put in 100 times as much work trying to get the game to function properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom