Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The definitive, last Pillars of Eternity rating thread!

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity (with expansions and patches)?

Votes: 17 4.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 88 23.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 42 11.2%

Votes: 8 2.1%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 4 1.1%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • J_C is a cuck! (kc)

Votes: 68 18.2%

• Total voters

Delterius

Arcane
I love when other people whine about characters they hated when I just personally killed every single one of them. Especially that Ogre with a woman's voice.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
This spring I bought the DLC and gave it another whirl. I just. Could. Not. Finish. It. I think I mailed it in when I got the first DLC. Maybe someday.

Mazisky

Magister
Voted 8.

I enjoyed a lot the game, even if i got a bit bored after entering twin elms so i rushed to the end from that part.

Really liked the presentation (art and music) and the exploration, the dialogues and writing

Disliked the repetitive\boring trash encounters and the invadence of historycal lore, too many too-serious\boring stuff about gods, wars, people etc.

The thing i've disliked the most tho, is the general mood. It's kinda depressing, people are too serious, very few jokes and very few (if none) funny chars.

To explain better, i'll do an example:

The witcher , despite the dark setting full of rapes, hanged people, racism and desolation, has some bright moments, some hilarious stuff and some enjoyable and happy characters that bring contrast to the general mood.

Poe miss that.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
The witcher , despite the dark setting full of rapes, hanged people, racism and desolation, has some bright moments, some hilarious stuff and some enjoyable and happy characters that bring contrast to the general mood.
The Witcher's inhabitants are used to their shitty lives because the world itself is shitty. PoE's setting is distinctly less shitty but the current Hollowborn crisis is a lot darker than the default of The Witcher. I can understand why people aren't feeling good.

Mazisky

Magister
The Witcher's inhabitants are used to their shitty lives because the world itself is shitty. PoE's setting is distinctly less shitty but the current Hollowborn crisis is a lot darker than the default of The Witcher. I can understand why people aren't feeling good.

Still a 40\100 hours long game full of dialogues with almost no jokes or happy moments...is too much to handle.

Hyperion

Arcane
Still a 40\100 hours long game full of dialogues with almost no jokes or happy moments...is too much to handle.

Happy moments, not really, unless you count the personal relief from kicking the shit out of a giant Fungus, or Dragon. There were a lot of jokes, but it was dry, caustic humor. And most of it was only if you used Eder, Hiravias, and Durance.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd give it a 7/10, however I never participated on the kickstarter or have particular nostalgia over IE games since the only one I've completed is Torment. For someone who was expecting a spiritual successor of BG it's probably two grades lower.
Like people have already said multiple times, it's not really a game that will be talked about in a couple of years. Personally I'm just a sucker for text heavy RPG's with tolerable combat and there's a dry season for them, which is probably a strong indicator of needing to play more 90's stuff.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Is Pillars of Boredom one of the top 5 worst Obsidian games?

Cu2Ud65UsAAEjoB.jpg:large

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
My favorite part was: Show you a picture of a man with a beard and helmet that had wings on it. - Spend a paragraph describing how you see a man with a beard and helmet that has wings on it.
Show you a machine with lightning around it. - Describe how there is a machine with strange energy around it.

It just goes on and fucking on. Pointless filler crap everywhere. Those shitty little 'interactive' stat checks, that feel so horribly out of place. %+ - skills, hundreds of them. Colorful parade armor that makes everyone look like they came from the circus. Dialog that is exposition with no character or personality attached.

Sizzle

Arcane
In many ways it's no better/not much better than NWN2 Vanilla.

NWN2 (without the expansions) is better than PoE in some ways (better magic system, for one, or the (in)famous trial scene), but PoE doesn't really have anything that can compare to the endless slog of the Orc Caves.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Doesn't matter, it's still an area with encounter design on the poor/lazy side that highlights many of the flaws in the combat system.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeah it does - the beta backer dungeon. Skaen Temple or whatever.

You have the option of skipping past all that combat, unlike the orc caves, which are mandatory.

Exactly.

Doesn't matter, it's still an area with encounter design on the poor/lazy side that highlights many of the flaws in the combat system.

Yes, but we're talking about the differences in shitty designed combat areas. And, even though I don't consider NWN2 to be that bad of a game (I can stomach its camera), I would much rather go through a half an hour/hour of Skaen's Temple (depending on the difficulty level, and ways you entered it), than several hour's worth of unskippable Old Owl's Well Orc combat.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I gave it a seven as it was the first game of this type I have ever completed.

Was going to give it an eight, but I am playing PST now.

Might push it down after I play BG2.

Liked the music and setting. Party characters were good. Combat petty good- although I don't have much to compare it to. In some battles really had to use pause function and try different spells. Also used the environment to my advantage such as narrow spaces.

Don't know what the heck the Chanter or whatever that is.

Totally new universe so took a while to appreciate what the heck was going on.

Loved the story -

Redshirt #42

Augur
Would have been a 9 if it wasn't for the many gameplay issues:
  • questionable character stats/development;
  • boring combat that you can't avoid most of the time;
  • you get minimal or no XP for most of the combat as well;
  • uninteresting character classes / too little difference between them.
  • spells are nothing more than attacks with special visual/sound effects and sometimes increased range/area of effect.
  • "balance" in all things - the game overdosed itself on gameplay balance.
I liked the story and most of the setting though. It wasn't anywhere close to PST or anything like that, but certainly better than than BioWare stories and they at least tried to put some deeper thoughts into it despite primarily targeting the BioWare / IE nostalgia audience. Thaos in particular felt much like Irenicus, except better written. Rarely, you get access to some nice choices & consequences that are more than just fluff writing. Some of the companions are good, some of them are horrible, but you can have a full party without the horrible ones.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
My favorite part was: Show you a picture of a man with a beard and helmet that had wings on it. - Spend a paragraph describing how you see a man with a beard and helmet that has wings on it.
Show you a machine with lightning around it. - Describe how there is a machine with strange energy around it.

It just goes on and fucking on. Pointless filler crap everywhere. Those shitty little 'interactive' stat checks, that feel so horribly out of place. %+ - skills, hundreds of them. Colorful parade armor that makes everyone look like they came from the circus. Dialog that is exposition with no character or personality attached.

This is somewhat an exaggeration but it's very true.

Expansions are much better about applying text where it's actually needed and things actually happening in an exciting manner, but the main campaign is a huge letdown starting with act 2. I remember how excited I was entering this big city with different factions. In the end, those factions where not active and not memorable and then there was the most boring riot in history of rioting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom