Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Felipepepe's Videogame History Articles Thread

Neanderthal

Arcane
Likely because it was self-published and few people were even aware it existed. Hell, 2005 was THE worst year in RPG history, with like 5 releases, yet not even we mentioned it in out 2005 Year in Review post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=122

I seem to remember PC Zone magazine at the time giving it a pretty good review, I always assumed that it sold as well as the original, pity. Guess marketing was more important then, less internet around I suppose, mind you it cost an arm and a fucking leg.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Likely because it was self-published and few people were even aware it existed. Hell, 2005 was THE worst year in RPG history, with like 5 releases, yet not even we mentioned it in out 2005 Year in Review post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=122
Oblivion teased us with the promise of the winter holidays release and quietly slipped into 2006 to meet various quality standards, which is always a good sign when it happens a month before the release. So, what do we know about this clearly revolutionary title? Let's start with the most important features that were patiently repeated by Bethesda's PR until they were firmly imprinted in everyone's mind: soil erosion, Radiant AI, virtual forests, and Patrick Stewart!!! (Yes, with three exclamation marks)
:hype:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What they did - simulating soil erosion to build a believable environment - is actually quite cool. What's dumb is to advertise that as a feature, and to cover the entire world with a single biome: a procedurally generated forest of sameness.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also just picked up a complete copy of Star Saga: One. Just need to get the Hoboken one and an original Gorky 17 now. Did they ever make a physical english boxed Princess Maker? Doesn't sound like it from reading felipepepe's article.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Off work at moment wi a broken hoof so i've been gimping around cleaning up my gaff between other stuff, came across my old Amstrad CPC 464 computer (cassette drive included) in loft and a box of tapes to go with it. Ones that still had labels or boxes to em were: Runestone, which I remember almost nothing about, except I remember buying it at a Games Workshop. The Fourth Protocol, which I remember was fucking excellent but I could never solve for some reason. Thanatos the Dragon, flying, breathing fire, eating fair maidens and shit like that, fucking class. Dun Darach, which I remember as being a state of the art masterpiece with next gen graphics and a labyrinthine setting, set in Celtic mythology.

Most of the other cassettes are not labelled or boxed, wished the computer still worked but I think the big ass green screen monitor's gone.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't know that Andrew Greenberg of Wizardry fame was the creator of Star Saga: One & Two. I just received my boxed copy of Star Saga: One today (I'll post pics once my copy of Star Saga: Two comes in) and it credits him as the creator.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I didn't know that Andrew Greenberg of Wizardry fame was the creator of Star Saga: One & Two. I just received my boxed copy of Star Saga: One today (I'll post pics once my copy of Star Saga: Two comes in) and it credits him as the creator.
Felipe on Gamasutra said:
But, almost 30 years ago, Andrew Greenberg (a.k.a. Werdna, evil wizard and fabled co-creator of the Wizardry series) tried something a bit more ambitious with this game.
No one reads my articles... :cry:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not really on RPGs this time, but I wrote another article after playing Chroma Squad this week: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Feli...any_flavours_of_foreign_culture_in_gaming.php

Although Brazil is a huge country that is recognized worldwide, foreigners know very little about us beside the usual Carnaval, Football, Caipirinha & Bossa Nova (ok, and big butts) cliches.

Which is sad, as our myths and culture offer a refreshing change from done-to-death themes and settings we see in gaming. I never saw a game making good use of our art, music, beliefs and folklore, of legends like the Saci, Mula-sem-Cabeça, Caipora, Boitatá, Curupira and many others.

ueEvber.jpg

Hell, we even have a "ancient mysterious language" in the form of Tupi-Guarani, a language spoken by natives that has woven itself into our own Portuguese, distancing us from Portugal. Many Brazilian words come from Tupi, especially names - sometimes with surprising meanings.

Ipanema, for example, is the name of one of the most well-known beaches in Rio de Janeiro (and that one song everyone knows). Few know that Ipanema actually means "bad water" in Tupi-Guarani.

Of course, having a rich, original culture that no one else using it is a great opportunity to impress people with charming and exotic titles, like Xilo, an award-winning 2011 indie game prototype:

Xilo is EXTREMELY Brazilian, in almost every aspect possible.

The visual style (based on local woodcut art), the soundtrack (baião), the enemies (all from our folklore, like the Mula Sem Cabeça - a headless flaming mule), the main character (a cangaçeiro), the poems (cordel literature), the enviroment (sertão, a semi-arid region in northeastern Brazil), etc...

It's a game by Brazilians, for Brazilians, as few people outside our borders can understand or relate to what's going on. Sadly, games such strong and "exotic" cultural tones often devolves into a curiosity, an oddity - not a "real" game. It's first A Brazilian Game (wow!), second a platformer.

The spiced giant robot

Koichi Iwabuchi is a Japanese scholar, famous for coning the expression "mukokuseki" - or "Culturally Odorless" - to describe how Japanese exports like Walkmans, Anime and Video Games were easily accepted worldwide. He claims it was because they didn't carry strong Japanese cultural values that could put off foreigners - what he calls "Cultural Odor".

While it was true decades ago, with Mario, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, Astroboy and even Pokémon, it's a bit harder to look at modern JRPGs, Animes and Mangas and say the same thing.

Thus, to me a more relevant concept is his theory about the opposite phenomena - the moment when this "Cultural Odor" become a "Cultural Fragrance", adding to the appeal of the product.

It's obvious that this appeal is very restricted. Saying a game is from Japan can create high expectations depending on the audience, but saying a game is from Brazil usually results in lines like "are there even computers in Brazil?", or an aversion to an unusual culture they don't understand.

Xilo, as mentioned above, is a game with a heavy "odor", not a "fragrance".

However, each culture has its own particularities, that unique way of doings things that cannot be easily described. It's not an odor nor a fragrance, that you immediately say "oh, this is definitely Japanese!", but a subtle, unusual element you can't describe at first. An exotic spice.

I believe that Chroma Squad, a tactical RPG inspired by Japanese tokusatsu shows, has such "spice":

Chroma Squad is also unmistakably Brazilian, but probably only to Brazilians.

You see, the "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers™" disclaimer that was legally forced into the game is rather untrue. While most countries only became aware of Japanese tokusastu shows with Power Rangers in 1993, Brazil has a long history with them. Tokusastu shows came as early as 1964 with National Kid, which was a huge success here - even thought it flopped in Japan.

Since then, countless similar shows aired here, like Ultraman, Specterman, Lionman, Changeman, Jiraya, Kamen Rider, Cybercops, etc... all on national TV, with a large audience and tie-in products like toys, music albums and even circus shows. And they weren't like Power Rangers, remade with local actors - they had Japanese actors, locations and theme songs (plus poorly translated dialogs).

Chroma Squad also has an unique humor, influenced by local shows like Os Trapalhões and an icon of Latin America: El Chavo del Ocho - a show from the 70's that still reprises here every day.

These elements and influences are felt in the game, in its jokes, references and dialog, but it doesn't become an "odor" that puts off foreigners - like if it was based on Capitão 7, a Brazilian hero no one ever heard about. Rather, it's a global game with a distinct "spice" that could only be produced here. Only in Brazil you would have this unique cultural mishmash of "low-budget" casual humor, theme songs sang in Japanese (like the tokusatus that aired here, not like Power Rangers) and monsters designed after SpongeBob SquarePants, Teletubbies and Pop-Up Pirate.

It's a subtle way of "leaking" our culture into the world, our humor, references and way of seeing things, even if under the guise of Japanese Tv shows. Eventually this can evolve and become a "fragrance", perhaps with people associating Brazil with an unique brand of humor, tone or theme - like how you know Russian games usually have a dry, bleak and desolate tone.

And there are more subtle and unexpected places this "spice" appears... like in alleys.

Alleys of the World

This is an alley from Detroit:

1Ka0ILc.jpg

I saw this countless times in movies, games, video clips and news. It has the iconic fire stairs, trash cans, graffiti and dark, decaying "Batman parents died here" atmosphere.

Yet, for most of my life, this was alien to me. You see, here in São Paulo we don't have alleys like those, our buildings are either all built side-by-side or they have walls around them. We also don't have fire stairs. And we usually deposit our trash in the front of our buildings.

Alleys in São Paulo are entirely different. Here, they are either narrow passageways in favelas, or (extremely rare) small streets on the backside of walled houses, like these:

jfGam0U.jpg

So I had never seen an alley like the one in Detroit until I traveled to the US, already in my mid-20s.

Why is this relevant? Because if you asked me to design a Detroit-style alley for a game, I would be very confused. Are these really the norm or just a cliche? Are they really dangerous? How long are they? Where those locked doors lead to? Are they usually this decayed? Can you park cars there? Can you drive across them? Do kids play there? How do you drop down the fire stairs? Does it go all the way up to the roof? Who collects the trash, how and when?

Of course, I can google or ask locals. But these things are tricky. There might be particularities I'm not even aware of, leading to incorrect assumptions and, as result, a design that feels off.

Take for example Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Now, Resident Evil is a Japanese franchise, but the fictional Raccoon City is located in the US mid-west. Knowing that, take a look at this alley:

TSaXhE7.jpg

Does this look anything like the one in Detroit, or like any alley you've ever seen? Not to me, it didn't.

That is, until I had the chance to travel to Japan in 2012 and roam through the alleys of Tokyo:

CntCRxs.jpg

It immediately clicked. I felt in one of those RE3 alleys. More than just the visual resemblance, it had the narrow passageway, the claustrophobic dark ambiance, the feeling that the top of the buildings had closed on themselves and swallowed the sky. And the bicycles, left without locks.

Although the RE team was extremely talented and probably did a lot of research on American cities and their layouts, they could not avoid leaking their own culture and experience into the gaps.

Is this a bad thing? Not really, Resident Evil 3 is a zombie game, set in a fictional city, where mega-corporations can send biological weapons to massacre the population... perfectly accurate portrayal of US architecture isn't a key feature here.

I'd say it's actually a plus, an unique "spice" the game has, that makes the streets and alleys feel threatening and "wrong", in a way you can't really explain.

Gauchos & their Mexican food

Another game I would like to mention is Max Payne 3. Famously, it's set in São Paulo, and this time the location plays a vital role in the plot, as Max doesn't speak Portuguese nor the game offers subtitles to the Portuguese dialogs, so both Max and the players feel lost in a foreign country.

There was a lot of outrage from Brazilians over Max Payne 3. First, Rockstar said São Paulo has "famous for its hot weather and funk music". That's Rio de Janeiro, amigo.

Then came things like hiring Portuguese actors to voice Brazilian characters, a "Gauchos" restaurant serving Mexican food and some VERY weird uses of our local folklore, among other bizarre things.

h7L0SBh.jpg

These little details all combined to create a São Paulo that, although had a skyline just like the one I see now looking through my window, doesn't feel like the city I live in.

A few weeks ago, Daniel Várvra wrote an article about how he wants Kingdom Come: Deliverance to be as authentic as possible, since it was never done before and foreigners will never be able to do it:

As a Czech, most foreign games and movies set in my own country seem to me at best ridiculous, because foreigners can’t even manage to capture properly the look of this country (Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid 4, Forza 5 etc.), never mind our mentality and culture.
I agree with him, gringos tempering with my culture led to things like Street Fighter's Blanka and a soup-opera where a woman gives birth to a Curupira (a mythic guardian of the forests). It's a mess! But I think it's an entertaining, unique and "spicy" mess, that could never be created otherwise.

A surprising example of this is Max Payne 3's Chapter 10. Most of the game is spent on favelas or inside warehouses, garages and stadiums (or an airport train that really should, but does not exist). The only time in the entire game you visit downtown São Paulo is when you go to a bus graveyard.

"What the hell? Why didn't they use the Paulista Avenue or Mercadão instead of making shit up?!" said I while playing, before googling it and finding out that yes, São Paulo has a bus graveyard:

rp6B9te.jpg

I was born in São Paulo, I lived here most of my life. Yet I saw things I had never seen before in a game made by foreigners that don't even speak Portuguese and only visited for a few days - precisely because they didn't live here and didn't care for its traditional landmarks.

Like Vávra, I still wish to see "my São Paulo" in a game, with all the quirks and locations only a local knows. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the São Paulo that Rockstar portrayed, the vistas they chose to show and design choices such as the bold "no subtitles" approach they went with.

Max Payne 3 is a game set in São Paulo that no one who lives in São Paulo could ever create. Here Rockstar found a foreign location to tell their story, players got lost in a foreign land and I saw my hometown portrayed and experienced through their foreign eyes, with a different flavor.

This is a healthy, interesting exchange, that bought something new to all of us.

All the Scotsman

I would love to see more of the culture of my country out there.

To see more people watching movies like O Auto da Compadecida (aka A Dog's Will), reading books like Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands, listening to Raul Seixas (and not just Garota de Ipanema), playing games based on the adventures of Cangaçeiros and Bandeirantes, of fugitive slaves and Italian immigrants, of 1864's imperial soldiers and 1964's anti-dictatorship rebels.

However, I don't think that's something only achievable by cramming those inside every game we make, or that it's something that only a True Born Son of Pátria Amada Brasil can help achieve.

Culture is a difficult thing to define, more even to limit. Trying to replicate the culture of others will certainly result in confusion and mistakes, with your own mentality, beliefs and experiences discreetly blending in though the gaps, no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

That would be an impossible barrier to surpass in a 100% accurate cultural and historical game, but most (none?) people aren't making those - they are trying to make interesting games.

As long as you aren't being racist or full of prejudice, then your take on a foreign culture can likely bring something new to the table, add some "spice" to the recipe, aiding both to you and those who you're borrowing from and allowing it to reach places and people it could never reach before.

Think of it as an unusual musical cover, like Pat Boone singing DIO:

Yeah, it's not a Metal song anymore, the heresy! But it will probably get at least a small smile from any metalhead, and it might even make your grandma get interested in what you're listening to. It speaks volumes of the quality of the song that someone so removed from the Heavy Metal scene would cover it, and the original will always be there for you to enjoy.

And so, I hope to one day play games about myths and traditions from Brazil, India, Korea, Nigeria, China, Poland, Mexico, Chile, etc... all made by locals, proudly showing their culture.

But I also eagerly await for the day I'll play a Brazilian RPG set in Medieval Poland, a Polish platformer set in Brazilian forests cities, an Indian RTS set in Greece, a Korean FPS set in the US, a Nigerian action game set in England and whatever other crazy combination anyone can come up with, with their cultures adding new elements to these games, spicing them up, offering new perspectives.

For this is the true richness of interacting with other cultures - not just telling your stories and hearing theirs, but bonding to create new ones. Or at least flavor them differently.

------------

PS: Just please stop with the monkeys roaming Brazilian streets, ok? That doesn't happen, I swear.

BePN5Bo.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Guarani, were they the lads with the bowl haircuts in the Mission?

You know this is one reason why I don't think that we really need fantastic species like Elves and Dwarves, the different, rich and sometimes plain weird cultures of humanity are far more varied and distinct than the usual cliches we find these beings clothed in. Oh and great work.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Guarani, were they the lads with the bowl haircuts in the Mission?
The very same, that movie is set during the Guarani Wars.

I wouldn't say that fantastic races are unneeded, but they are surely overused, while real cultures are almost never seen outside of medieval stuff...

Divinity: Original Sin
Not really on RPGs this time, but I wrote another article after playing Chroma Squad this week: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Feli...any_flavours_of_foreign_culture_in_gaming.php

Since then, countless similar shows aired here, like Ultraman, Specterman, Lionman, Changeman, Jiraya, Kamen Rider, Cybercops, etc... all on national TV, with a large audience and tie-in products like toys, music albums and even circus shows. And they weren't like Power Rangers, remade with local actors - they had Japanese actors, locations and theme songs (plus poorly translated dialogs).

Horrible article. Didn't mention Jaspion:x

2-jaspion.jpg

EDIT:

Also, the curupira baby in the max payne 3 soap opera is actually very much like Rede Globo's soap-operas from th 70's to 90's (Saramandaia, Roque Santeiro, Tieta, Renascer) and they actually nailed it. and the easter eggs in the "galatians FC" stadium are very "brazilian", like the sentence "Nos levou a tóquio" (took us to Tokio), which was the dream of every team in Brasil in the times of the Intercontinental Cup, a soccer match between continental winner of south america and europe, that was held in the end of year in Tokio, Japan.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
OH GOD, gonna edit that shit right now.

But I did link the GLORIOUS Trem da Alegria song.

And yeah, Max Payne 3 had some cool stuff, clearly done by HUEHUEs. But also bizarre ones, like how they made the Saci green, likely to avoid being called racist...

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin

To see more people watching movies like O Auto da Compadecida (aka A Dog's Will), reading books like Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands, listening to Raul Seixas (and not just Garota de Ipanema), playing games based on the adventures of Cangaçeiros and Bandeirantes, of fugitive slaves and Italian immigrants, of 1864's imperial soldiers and 1964's anti-dictatorship rebels.

This paragraph reminds me of a book I read, about the goldrush in Brasil in colonial period, and it details how the bandeirantes look for the "Sabarabuçu", a mountain of gold surrounded by a lake of emeralds, which was the brazilian eldorado. With the plus that it actually existed and you could find gold everywhere, and how this mine and the later ones found in brazillian territory had an economic impact in europe in the XVIII century, and how Portugal use that gold only for display and end up with nothing.

I liked a lot the book in part due to the fact that I was born and live in the very city that was founded by the bandeirante Borba Gato in that legendary place. But what I thought a lot about was how it fit perfectly as a scenario for an assassin's creed game: The chase for legendary mountain, political conflicts and wars, historical figures, uniquenes of the setting... I imagine it would work better than the crap they shoved onto us with AC:III and Unity.

the book:

boa-ventura.jpg
13046959.jpg

portugal version:

15848346.jpg

OH GOD, gonna edit that shit right now.

But I did link the GLORIOUS Trem da Alegria song.

And yeah, Max Payne 3 had some cool stuff, clearly done by HUEHUEs. But also bizarre ones, like how they made the Saci green, likely to avoid being called racist...

The best jaspion, changeman, jiraya songs were the original show's songs translated into PT-BR...

They should have the Saci as a pure black.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You know i was more interested in the comments than the article (sorry felipe, but only after reading it). Naturally i find 0 comments of a article posted yesterday.

Fucking gamasutra. You'd probably get more hits off reddit or something.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You know i was more interested in the comments than the article (sorry felipe, but only after reading it). Naturally i find 0 comments of a article posted yesterday.

Fucking gamasutra. You'd probably get more hits off reddit or something.
Yeah, it's weird... my first article had like 50 comments, but it has been decreasing fast. IMHO, the more controversial the post is, the less people comment. And I don't mean controversial as in "real time vs. turn-based", but in things like shaddy business practices, gaming journalism, cultural representation, etc...

Seems like everyone is scared about taking a stance... as if liking the article would lead to being blacklisted by SJW over CULTURAL APPROPRIATON or some other retraded nonsense.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't think the article is controversial, your conclusion is more "(almost) everything is fine and potentially interesting", so you took quite the balanced approach. And you only boast once ("we in Brasil liked Power Rangers stuff 3 decades before it was cool") :D And you also didn't diss Sunset, (the criticism you voiced here would fit in the article, imo) which might have been controversial.

Thanks for an interesting article, learned something now and even though the end sounded a bit too inclooosive, it's not wrong.

Last edited:

pippin

That name brings back memories for sure.

I thought they were just on drugs when they did that show. I mean, look at that costume. When are we getting our BR mythology rpg?

pippin

Will check that out. Hope there are some spanish versions though, but portuguese is not a problem.
We seriosuly need *more* latin-american inspired rpgs though. This whole continent has some of the craziest myths and legends of the world, but we are still getting the same elves and dwarves.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Although Brazil is a huge country that is recognized worldwide, foreigners know very little about us beside the usual Carnaval, Football, Caipirinha & Bossa Nova (ok, and big butts) cliches.

Which is sad, as our myths and culture offer a refreshing change from done-to-death themes and settings we see in gaming. I never saw a game making good use of our art, music, beliefs and folklore, of legends like the Saci, Mula-sem-Cabeça, Caipora, Boitatá, Curupira and many others.

ueEvber.jpg

Hell, we even have a "ancient mysterious language" in the form of Tupi-Guarani, a language spoken by natives that has woven itself into our own Portuguese, distancing us from Portugal. Many Brazilian words come from Tupi, especially names - sometimes with surprising meanings.

Ipanema, for example, is the name of one of the most well-known beaches in Rio de Janeiro (and that one song everyone knows). Few know that Ipanema actually means "bad water" in Tupi-Guarani.

Of course, having a rich, original culture that no one else using it is a great opportunity to impress people with charming and exotic titles, like Xilo, an award-winning 2011 indie game prototype:

Xilo is EXTREMELY Brazilian, in almost every aspect possible.

The visual style (based on local woodcut art), the soundtrack (baião), the enemies (all from our folklore, like the Mula Sem Cabeça - a headless flaming mule), the main character (a cangaçeiro), the poems (cordel literature), the enviroment (sertão, a semi-arid region in northeastern Brazil), etc...

It's a game by Brazilians, for Brazilians, as few people outside our borders can understand or relate to what's going on. Sadly, games such strong and "exotic" cultural tones often devolves into a curiosity, an oddity - not a "real" game. It's first A Brazilian Game (wow!), second a platformer.

The spiced giant robot

Koichi Iwabuchi is a Japanese scholar, famous for coning the expression "mukokuseki" - or "Culturally Odorless" - to describe how Japanese exports like Walkmans, Anime and Video Games were easily accepted worldwide. He claims it was because they didn't carry strong Japanese cultural values that could put off foreigners - what he calls "Cultural Odor".

While it was true decades ago, with Mario, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, Astroboy and even Pokémon, it's a bit harder to look at modern JRPGs, Animes and Mangas and say the same thing.

Thus, to me a more relevant concept is his theory about the opposite phenomena - the moment when this "Cultural Odor" become a "Cultural Fragrance", adding to the appeal of the product.

It's obvious that this appeal is very restricted. Saying a game is from Japan can create high expectations depending on the audience, but saying a game is from Brazil usually results in lines like "are there even computers in Brazil?", or an aversion to an unusual culture they don't understand.

Xilo, as mentioned above, is a game with a heavy "odor", not a "fragrance".

However, each culture has its own particularities, that unique way of doings things that cannot be easily described. It's not an odor nor a fragrance, that you immediately say "oh, this is definitely Japanese!", but a subtle, unusual element you can't describe at first. An exotic spice.

I believe that Chroma Squad, a tactical RPG inspired by Japanese tokusatsu shows, has such "spice":

Chroma Squad is also unmistakably Brazilian, but probably only to Brazilians.

You see, the "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers™" disclaimer that was legally forced into the game is rather untrue. While most countries only became aware of Japanese tokusastu shows with Power Rangers in 1993, Brazil has a long history with them. Tokusastu shows came as early as 1964 with National Kid, which was a huge success here - even thought it flopped in Japan.

Chroma Squad also has an unique humor, influenced by local shows like Os Trapalhões and an icon of Latin America: El Chavo del Ocho - a show from the 70's that still reprises here every day.

These elements and influences are felt in the game, in its jokes, references and dialog, but it doesn't become an "odor" that puts off foreigners - like if it was based on Capitão 7, a Brazilian hero no one ever heard about. Rather, it's a global game with a distinct "spice" that could only be produced here. Only in Brazil you would have this unique cultural mishmash of "low-budget" casual humor, theme songs sang in Japanese (like the tokusatus that aired here, not like Power Rangers) and monsters designed after SpongeBob SquarePants, Teletubbies and Pop-Up Pirate.

It's a subtle way of "leaking" our culture into the world, our humor, references and way of seeing things, even if under the guise of Japanese Tv shows. Eventually this can evolve and become a "fragrance", perhaps with people associating Brazil with an unique brand of humor, tone or theme - like how you know Russian games usually have a dry, bleak and desolate tone.

And there are more subtle and unexpected places this "spice" appears... like in alleys.

Alleys of the World

This is an alley from Detroit:

1Ka0ILc.jpg

I saw this countless times in movies, games, video clips and news. It has the iconic fire stairs, trash cans, graffiti and dark, decaying "Batman parents died here" atmosphere.

Yet, for most of my life, this was alien to me. You see, here in São Paulo we don't have alleys like those, our buildings are either all built side-by-side or they have walls around them. We also don't have fire stairs. And we usually deposit our trash in the front of our buildings.

Alleys in São Paulo are entirely different. Here, they are either narrow passageways in favelas, or (extremely rare) small streets on the backside of walled houses, like these:

jfGam0U.jpg

So I had never seen an alley like the one in Detroit until I traveled to the US, already in my mid-20s.

Why is this relevant? Because if you asked me to design a Detroit-style alley for a game, I would be very confused. Are these really the norm or just a cliche? Are they really dangerous? How long are they? Where those locked doors lead to? Are they usually this decayed? Can you park cars there? Can you drive across them? Do kids play there? How do you drop down the fire stairs? Does it go all the way up to the roof? Who collects the trash, how and when?

Of course, I can google or ask locals. But these things are tricky. There might be particularities I'm not even aware of, leading to incorrect assumptions and, as result, a design that feels off.

Take for example Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Now, Resident Evil is a Japanese franchise, but the fictional Raccoon City is located in the US mid-west. Knowing that, take a look at this alley:

TSaXhE7.jpg

Does this look anything like the one in Detroit, or like any alley you've ever seen? Not to me, it didn't.

That is, until I had the chance to travel to Japan in 2012 and roam through the alleys of Tokyo:

CntCRxs.jpg

It immediately clicked. I felt in one of those RE3 alleys. More than just the visual resemblance, it had the narrow passageway, the claustrophobic dark ambiance, the feeling that the top of the buildings had closed on themselves and swallowed the sky. And the bicycles, left without locks.

Although the RE team was extremely talented and probably did a lot of research on American cities and their layouts, they could not avoid leaking their own culture and experience into the gaps.

Is this a bad thing? Not really, Resident Evil 3 is a zombie game, set in a fictional city, where mega-corporations can send biological weapons to massacre the population... perfectly accurate portrayal of US architecture isn't a key feature here.

I'd say it's actually a plus, an unique "spice" the game has, that makes the streets and alleys feel threatening and "wrong", in a way you can't really explain.

Gauchos & their Mexican food

Another game I would like to mention is Max Payne 3. Famously, it's set in São Paulo, and this time the location plays a vital role in the plot, as Max doesn't speak Portuguese nor the game offers subtitles to the Portuguese dialogs, so both Max and the players feel lost in a foreign country.

There was a lot of outrage from Brazilians over Max Payne 3. First, Rockstar said São Paulo has "famous for its hot weather and funk music". That's Rio de Janeiro, amigo.

Then came things like hiring Portuguese actors to voice Brazilian characters, a "Gauchos" restaurant serving Mexican food and some VERY weird uses of our local folklore, among other bizarre things.

h7L0SBh.jpg

These little details all combined to create a São Paulo that, although had a skyline just like the one I see now looking through my window, doesn't feel like the city I live in.

A few weeks ago, Daniel Várvra wrote an article about how he wants Kingdom Come: Deliverance to be as authentic as possible, since it was never done before and foreigners will never be able to do it:

As a Czech, most foreign games and movies set in my own country seem to me at best ridiculous, because foreigners can’t even manage to capture properly the look of this country (Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid 4, Forza 5 etc.), never mind our mentality and culture.
I agree with him, gringos tempering with my culture led to things like Street Fighter's Blanka and a soup-opera where a woman gives birth to a Curupira (a mythic guardian of the forests). It's a mess! But I think it's an entertaining, unique and "spicy" mess, that could never be created otherwise.

A surprising example of this is Max Payne 3's Chapter 10. Most of the game is spent on favelas or inside warehouses, garages and stadiums (or an airport train that really should, but does not exist). The only time in the entire game you visit downtown São Paulo is when you go to a bus graveyard.

"What the hell? Why didn't they use the Paulista Avenue or Mercadão instead of making shit up?!" said I while playing, before googling it and finding out that yes, São Paulo has a bus graveyard:

rp6B9te.jpg

I was born in São Paulo, I lived here most of my life. Yet I saw things I had never seen before in a game made by foreigners that don't even speak Portuguese and only visited for a few days - precisely because they didn't live here and didn't care for its traditional landmarks.

Like Vávra, I still wish to see "my São Paulo" in a game, with all the quirks and locations only a local knows. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the São Paulo that Rockstar portrayed, the vistas they chose to show and design choices such as the bold "no subtitles" approach they went with.

Max Payne 3 is a game set in São Paulo that no one who lives in São Paulo could ever create. Here Rockstar found a foreign location to tell their story, players got lost in a foreign land and I saw my hometown portrayed and experienced through their foreign eyes, with a different flavor.

This is a healthy, interesting exchange, that bought something new to all of us.

All the Scotsman

However, I don't think that's something only achievable by cramming those inside every game we make, or that it's something that only a True Born Son of Pátria Amada Brasil can help achieve.

Culture is a difficult thing to define, more even to limit. Trying to replicate the culture of others will certainly result in confusion and mistakes, with your own mentality, beliefs and experiences discreetly blending in though the gaps, no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

That would be an impossible barrier to surpass in a 100% accurate cultural and historical game, but most (none?) people aren't making those - they are trying to make interesting games.

As long as you aren't being racist or full of prejudice, then your take on a foreign culture can likely bring something new to the table, add some "spice" to the recipe, aiding both to you and those who you're borrowing from and allowing it to reach places and people it could never reach before.

Think of it as an unusual musical cover, like Pat Boone singing DIO:

Yeah, it's not a Metal song anymore, the heresy! But it will probably get at least a small smile from any metalhead, and it might even make your grandma get interested in what you're listening to. It speaks volumes of the quality of the song that someone so removed from the Heavy Metal scene would cover it, and the original will always be there for you to enjoy.

And so, I hope to one day play games about myths and traditions from Brazil, India, Korea, Nigeria, China, Poland, Mexico, Chile, etc... all made by locals, proudly showing their culture.

But I also eagerly await for the day I'll play a Brazilian RPG set in Medieval Poland, a Polish platformer set in Brazilian forests cities, an Indian RTS set in Greece, a Korean FPS set in the US, a Nigerian action game set in England and whatever other crazy combination anyone can come up with, with their cultures adding new elements to these games, spicing them up, offering new perspectives.

For this is the true richness of interacting with other cultures - not just telling your stories and hearing theirs, but bonding to create new ones. Or at least flavor them differently.

------------

PS: Just please stop with the monkeys roaming Brazilian streets, ok? That doesn't happen, I swear.

BePN5Bo.jpg

I didn't know that 'inspired by power rangers' thing was legally forced, that's some serious bullshit. Fucking kwans.

Also, that Xilo game, when I first saw it back then the first thing that I thought was "Well of course. A generic platformer made here which obviously stands out purely for the cultural masturbation aspect of it", and of course it might just be my general negative outlook on everything but it also seems to be a trap that is easy to fall when dealing with that sort of stuff, all the folklore and what not already comes ready to be used and it's just a matter to put it in the product and call it a day. And that's p. boring if it's just a local coat of paint over generic imported goods.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Saban threatened to sue Chroma Squad some time ago. The team knew they would likely win in court, but that means fighting against a billionaire... so they made a deal and Saban gets a % of sales. The bastard.

Also, that Xilo game, when I first saw it back then the first thing that I thought was "Well of course. A generic platformer made here which obviously stands out purely for the cultural masturbation aspect of it", and of course it might just be my general negative outlook on everything but it also seems to be a trap that is easy to fall when dealing with that sort of stuff, all the folklore and what not already comes ready to be used and it's just a matter to put it in the product and call it a day. And that's p. boring if it's just a local coat of paint over generic imported goods.
To be fair it's a college project, but yeah... the whole folklore thing is cute, but the gameplay is as basic and boring as can be. It's the kind of project that gets awards from people who don't play games and gets ignored by those who do...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Saban threatened to sue Chroma Squad some time ago. The team knew they would likely win in court, but that means fighting against a billionaire... so they made a deal and Saban gets a % of sales. The bastard.
Damn that sucks. That line even rubbed me the wrong way when I saw it on Steam front page because I expected more from a brazilian game about those types of shows, but after what you said there I see now the devs aren't a bunch of decliners.

To be fair it's a college project, but yeah... the whole folklore thing is cute, but the gameplay is as basic and boring as can be. It's the kind of project that gets awards from people who don't play games and gets ignored by those who do...
It was from the game dev course at my uni. The institution really went all the way with Xilo but I've never heard of any other game from there (and everyone has to make a game as a final project afaik) so yeah. I guess the novelty wore off or nobody put mulas-sem-cabeça on their projects anymore. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom