Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Felipepepe's Videogame History Articles Thread

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't need metacritic, since I played the game. It's not bad, but it's not good. Too much running around large areas conducting filler combat against trash mobs. The game rapidly became boring after 10 hours in.
Have you played River of Time?

No. I heard it is better than DarkEye, however, and it did make it as #52 on the Codex list:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

I might play it after I finally beat those higher on the list I still have to beat like VtM: Bloodlines, Jagged Alliance 1&2, NW2: Mask of the Betrayer, Dark Souls, Wizardry 6&7, Betrayal at Krondor & Betrayal at Antares, Knights of the Chalice, the Arkania Trilogy, Darksun, and Albion. Oh, and maybe Neo Scavenger, Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2. But after that, I'm all over River of Time. ;)

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Nice work. You managed to hit the sweet spot between elitist arsehole and ignorant popamole. It was both a pleasant and educating read. And I'm particularly glad you included Ishar.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Magical Diary but not Long Live the Queen too? Best character skill set ever created in RPGs would be unknown :argh:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The 200-page preview of the book is out and E3 is past - it's time to promote our good work again. My popamole friends enjoy hearing about cool stuff in RPGs, but will never play most games or even passionetly read the book, and I'm sure that many other people are like them. In fact, most people are like them.

So I've wrote a little clickbaity article for Gamasutra, listing 21 cool RPGs, from obscure stuff like ZanZarah to a brief description fo why Ultima IV is so fucking awesome. It has a lot more chance of making rounds at reddit and other forums than the book ever had, so let's see how that plays out.

Alternate Reality: The City (1985)

Bloodwych (1989)

Might & Magic: World of Xeen (1992)

Wizardry VII - Crusaders of the Dark Savant (1992)

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (1985)

But hey, if you enjoyed this list there's a 200-page preview of the upcoming CRPG Book right here for download, filled with this kind of content! And it's free! ;)
[/spoiler]

I am in total shock. Up until now I thought the only place these five games existed in one place was in my drowning teenage brain.

yana. Professor Yana, You Are Not Alone, I am not the last Time Lord?

You sir are Awesome. Thank you for throwing me a branch.

darthaegis

Cipher
I am in total shock. Up until now I thought the only place these five games existed in one place was in my drowning teenage brain.

iirc ultima 4, xeen and wiz7 are in codex top 70.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

iirc ultima 4, xeen and wiz7 are in codex top 70.

Yep - but Alternate Reality and Bloodwych were not. The later was ok - but AR (Dungeon) would be quite high on my all time list - in terms of creating a gaming environment I thought it was awesomeness in the same way Ultima Underworld did.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Bitch please, Princess Maker 2 is where real man go to play as a cute magical girl.

Yep, but I remember right the Magical Diary developer has as favourites Princess Maker and Fallout. Making the gal more :obviously: than roughly 35% of Codexers. So I'm happy to see the game there, even if its graphical style and most of its writing are atrocious. PM2 is still far superior, however.

Instead of Ultima VIII (that had only its setting, and even that was mangled by the writing. And of course the fact that the Ultima VIII engine was employed in Crusader) my plebeian sensibilities would have preferred Ultima Underworld. But that's me.

I've found Expeditions Conquistador fairly mediocre, and quite buggy (lost two campaigns to unavoidable crashes). I guess that in a world devoid of historical RPGs it's still something, though.

And on Geneforge it's a small sin not to point out the crazy factional freedom. I still have to find games that gives me so many options, particularly Geneforge 2 & 5.

Darkzone

Arcane
I would have brofist the OP but i think that The Ultima trilogy deserves more than special mentioning. In my opinion the rpgs since then have never reached the internal thoughts about the topics that drove the Ultima trilogy. Don't get me wrong Fallout and PST have much to think about, but no other game that i have played.
Uh, that was exactly my reason for giving them a speacial mention. You don't really think that I consider Alien Fires better than Ultima IV, do you? :P
:D
Ok i was tired and didn't evalute this on the proper level. Sumimasen. Demo ore wa chotto baka no gaijin desu. And after this clarification i had to brofist your post.
Ultima IV, V, VI are with PST and Fallout the best RPGs ever made. But what makes Ultima IV and V so special is that they were at least 10 years ahead of their time. And sadly the PST and Fallout were not continued on that level. This is also why i'm extremely butthurt about Richard Garriott SotA and his current course of actions.
Garriott was never my hero, but the Ultima IV, V and VI. are the outline of what should an cRPG be. The only current project that has the potential is reach this level again, is Torment Numa Numa. But besides this there is no hope for an incline in the depth of cRPGs. Thanks to your OP i will now take a look into Neo Scavenger.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I simply must try ZanZarah :desu:

The second feature is pure flair, but it's one of the game's most memorable features. Many RPGs allow you to create a character and then choose a voice for it, but Wizardry 8 offered instead nine unique personalities (Loner, Burly, Chaotic, Laidback, Eccentric, Intellectual, Kindly, Aggressive and Cunning), each with two different voice options for each sex – yes, 32 voiced personalities!
9 * 2 * 2 is 36, not 32.

Viata

Arcane
Great list. There was some games I have never heard about, but will play them as soon as I have free time(and I keep increasing my backlog :negative:).

Or, better yet, FATE: Gates of Dawn:

6_Screenshots_of_Fate_Gates_of_Dawn.png

So is this game good?

Can't believe you didn't even mention how FUCKING AWESOME the music is in Ultima VIII. :decline:

Amazing youtube page you got there, man.

jaybirdy

Educated
You should ride the momentum and produce more CRPG content on Gamasutra. That way, more people will download the book, which they should because it's a great piece of work and potentially the most important book on CRPG's.

You can even further the decline by writing a sequel list to this list. People won't be able to resist! A few examples of neat mechanics that you could include could be Ultima 7's object and world interaction (and how Ultima in general inspired the "immersive sim" genre), Wizardry 8's dialog keyword system, Fallout 2 and Arcanum's extreme reactivity (there are moments in the game where you can make narrative choices and interact with NPCs even without being prompted by dialogue, quests, or anything else aside from intuition), Realms of Arkania's survival aspects and why they blow away New Vegas' hardcore mode, and Quest for Glory's various ways to solve puzzles that are tied to your skills and class.

The article really makes me want to try Dungeons of Daggorath. That typing system sounds really exciting--I think it would be even better if you couldn't use abbreviations.

Last edited:
You should ride the momentum and produce more CRPG content on Gamasutra. That way, more people will download the book, which they should because it's a great piece of work and potentially the most important book on CRPG's.

You can even further the decline by writing a sequel list to this list. People won't be able to resist! A few examples of neat mechanics that you could include could be Ultima 7's object and world interaction (and how Ultima in general inspired the "immersive sim" genre), Wizardry 8's dialog keyword system, Fallout 2 and Arcanum's extreme reactivity (there are moments in the game where you can make narrative choices and interact with NPCs even without being prompted by dialogue, quests, or anything else aside from intuition), Realms of Arkania's survival aspects and why they blow away New Vegas' hardcore mode, and Quest for Glory's various ways to solve puzzles that are tied to your skills and class.

The article really makes me want to try Dungeons of Daggorath. That typing system sounds really exciting--I think it would be even better if you couldn't use abbreviations.
I've heard good/bad about Realms of Arkania, but definitely want to try it. It's up there with Darklands in terms of my interest levels. But I know from experience there'e TONS of games. Ya I doubt his/her list is the end of it. Are you sure that tehre'something distinctive about RoA though? Just having some survival aspects doesn't make it unique, imho. In fact, I think many old games are more like survival games because it's so easy to die. But it's not much to be proud of.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Eh, in my case I could be 37 and it would change little, we had a military dictatorship here, it was forbidden to import computers & games until 1992.

And the good thing is that I'm forced to research, question and learn, instead of how a bunch of journos go "I've been playing since before PCs were called PCs" and think that playing Battletoads once as a kid means they are well-versed in everything relating gaming in the 80's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom