Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I want this to be released just to witness the butthurt among Codexers that love the first game. :lol:

On a related note, now that I have my control pad, I'm still waiting for the Dark Souls 75% discount on Steam to indulge myself in the decline.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can't be bothered to read four pages. Will this be playable so I see for myself what all the hype is about, or will it have the worst control of any action game ever on PC like the first one?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I want this to be released just to witness the butthurt among Codexers that love the first game. :lol:

On a related note, now that I have my control pad, I'm still waiting for the Dark Souls 75% discount on Steam to indulge myself in the decline.

It's on the Amazon Editor's Choice list so I figure if it hits $15ish on Steam minus $5 promo code I'll be good to go at $10.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
How do I get one of these promo codes from Amazon? 10 bucks is the most I'd pay for it. And I imagine that its original price is 40 dollars more or less right?

betamin

Learned
Can't be bothered to read four pages. Will this be playable so I see for myself what all the hype is about, or will it have the worst control of any action game ever on PC like the first one?
With the mouse fix the pc one was fine.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

With DSFix the PC version of Dark Souls is the best version there is. Visually is stunning: high-res textures, solid animations and the atmospheric effects.

Edit: The animations and the effects are probably the same on the consoles, but the PC higher resolutions and frame rates are making a huge difference. Also controls are fine once they are properly remapped.

sser

Arcane
Developer
A lead designer change is a big deal, though. Look at the fucking pile of shit Ninja Gaiden 3 turned out to be, for example.

I'm fairly confident that gameplay won't suck, but the atmosphere is at serious stake. The trailer already looks like NPCs are taking an active role rather than simply standing around a campfire like broken men like they should be. Hopefully it's just an Emotionally Engaging intro scene rather than actual gameplay.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

With DSFix the PC version of Dark Souls is the best version there is. Visually is stunning: high-res textures, solid animations and the atmospheric effects.

Edit: The animations and the effects are probably the same on the consoles, but the PC higher resolutions and frame rates are making a huge difference. Also controls are fine once they are properly remapped.

When I played it, I used the widescreen fix and nothing else. Controls were the worst of any action game I have ever played, and the widescreen-fix didn't help the 2005-look of the game, though that doesn't matter much to me (its looks were just presented as a selling-point here, so I was a bit disappointed I guess). All in all, the controls were not nearly worth the bother back then.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

When I played it, I used the widescreen fix and nothing else. Controls were the worst of any action game I have ever played, and the widescreen-fix didn't help the 2005-look of the game, though that doesn't matter much to me (its looks were just presented as a selling-point here, so I was a bit disappointed I guess). All in all, the controls were not nearly worth the bother back then.

Did you use this or not?

ShlongMaster

Educated
Nope. Will it fix my issues?

It allows you to unlock the resolution from the default 1024x720 or whatever it is on consoles and set it to whatever you want. It also allows you to apply ssao, and fxaa or smaa to help with jaggies. Definitely helps with the visuals, the game still suffers from low polygon counts, especially on distant terrain and other models, so the game still looks dated at times. There is also a mouse fix floating around which helps greatly with the crappy mouse input and allows you to rebind some keys from what I remember, either way playing this on mouse & keyboard is far from ideal.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
and the widescreen-fix didn't help the 2005-look of the game, though that doesn't matter much to me (its looks were just presented as a selling-point here, so I was a bit disappointed I guess
It's a gorgeous game due it's great art style perfecting merging with the atmosphere, not due graphical fidelity & ultra-high textures... still, the difference without DsFix mod is massive.

ShlongMaster

Educated
and the widescreen-fix didn't help the 2005-look of the game, though that doesn't matter much to me (its looks were just presented as a selling-point here, so I was a bit disappointed I guess
It's a gorgeous game due it's great art style perfecting merging with the atmosphere, not due graphical fidelity & ultra-high textures... still, the difference without DsFix mod is massive.

Yup, it's impressive how good they managed to make the game on good art & level design alone, while working within the limitations of consoles which have very little memory to work with. Even though most of the assets and models were very simple, they managed to create a very consistent look that tied in well with the other aspects of the game such as lore/story and gameplay.

I can't say the same for all of the areas though, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith and some of the later game areas felt rushed not only in the visual department but in the encounters as well. For example the 6 Taurus demons standing around on the flat area at the start of Demon Ruins looked really stupid, same goes with the Capra demons slightly further into that area.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Nope. Will it fix my issues?

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19

This is the file you want to download. It'll unlock the framerate, as well as allowing higher resolution, highers forms of AA, and more.

Is the same fix as the one linked by me. DSfix by Durante. Version 1.9.

I see. Last time I D/Led the fix off of the blog, instead of the Nexus, it didnt have as many options as well as not unlocking the framerate, as the patch on the Nexus does.

Linden

Arcane
Hurrah for dumbing down, if it means the mechanics in the game will be more transparent. Having to look up stuff on Wikipedia all the time isn't what I would call optimal game design. I'm not talking about lore, but about game mechanics - like how covenants work and shit. Put that info in the game, please.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Join Covenant? > Yes / No

Give Covenant X item? > Yes / No

If X > Y, get Z.

The game would benefit greatly from existing in a world where walkthroughs were less accessible or people weren't faggots.

Linden

Arcane
There's more to the covenant mechanics than that. For example, how is a new player supposed to know that members of the Way of White "have a higher priority matching with online players from the Warrior of Sunlight and Princess's Guard". As far as I can tell, this info is nowhere in the game.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It is largely irrelevant, given that you have no way of telling what covenant a summoned player belongs to and you'll never be able to tell whether you're actually getting more WoS or PG summons as WoW or not.

If this is about how difficult it is to summon a specific friend, I'd say it's more of a problem with the design behind the multiplayer aspect than the obscurity of the covenant mechanics.

Deitti

Augur
i loved first Dark Souls and bought the PC version so i am looking forward to this, however it remains to be seen what comes of it after seeing the articles. I guess i have to see more info before i decide completely. Although PC version at first day is definetly good news.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not to be a doomsayer but usually in Japanistan when the director is different the game ends up being underwhelming. I think they give ridiculous freedoms to the director and it can pay off in a big way (God Hand, Nier, MGS, Okami, Deadly Premonition) or be a complete disappointment when the director you love isn't involved (Drakengard 2, Mad World, maybe Bayonetta 2 / Dark Souls 2).

King's Field and DaS/DeS have survived director changes while maintaining the games' qualities nonetheless. I see no reason to fear more than a sequel developed by a Western company. Which is to say, still afraid because the ever-present grip of :decline: is always in place to drag things down.

Also, don't count on a great PC version, they'll neglect it just because they're retarded.

I dunno, it sounds like it's launching at the same time. That bodes well for at least not requiring mods to unlock higher resolutions. In any case, their engine programmers probably have time to do a better job now.

Anyone know what the numbers for the PC sales were?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom