Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Arnust

Savant
Huh. Don't really see why would you farm them when they're in puddles of poison, have a big HP pool and can one-shot you, when you have Falconers. I guess if you despawn them, but why would you not just Ascetic or use Covenant of Champions?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ogre things? AFAIK the only PvE drop of Sunlight Medals are Falconers', which are a bit easier to come by in NG+.

I know they drop from the Falconers and imma have to farm them too. I have 11 medals now so even with all the co-op I wanna do I'll still have to farm a lot.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Yeah, I do have a guy at SL7000/8000k at NG+, but alas he's really early on it so I can't go to all that many places without actually playing the game for a fair bit, couldn't really do the pop in boss anywhere ordeal. Unless you feel like chugging all the ascetics into whatever or doing the "real" part of coop I don't think I'd be of any help.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I do have a guy at SL7000/8000k at NG+, but alas he's really early on it so I can't go to all that many places without actually playing the game for a fair bit, couldn't really do the pop in boss anywhere ordeal. Unless you feel like chugging all the ascetics into whatever or doing the "real" part of coop I don't think I'd be of any help.

No worries, I got some help on the Steam forum already, the Sunlight Spear is mine.

The medal drop rate on the Falconers is abysmal btw, most of the time they don't drop shit and if they do it's usually their amor. Plus the item discovery is one of a few gameplay mechanics that was changed for the worse in DS2. From all my googling it seems nobody still knows if item discovery bonuses stack or not and From are being their usual dick about it and not telling.

Arnust

Savant
Item discovery does stack, as all "active" stats you can see it from your inventory. Drop chance still sucks, though. From really hates them Offline PvE players, even before they got PC versions to insider it an anti piracy measure. But hey, it's fine if there isn't all that much locked behind covenants- *looks at DS3* -oh.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Item discovery does stack, as all "active" stats you can see it from your inventory.

What? Where do you see it? I'm pretty sure it's a hidden value. And because it's hidden you can never tell for certain how much is it at any given time. It'd take an straight up scientific experiment to determine it.

Drop chance still sucks, though. From really hates them Offline PvE players, even before they got PC versions to insider it an anti piracy measure. But hey, it's fine if there isn't all that much locked behind covenants- *looks at DS3* -oh.

I really like the fact you're encouraged to get the covenant rewards through actual PvP or co-op but you're also given the chance to buy it, albeit on NG++ (except the Sunlight Spear). Because let's face it, to rank up 500 victories - and NET FUCKING VICTORIES AT THAT - in the red or the blue arena is a true FromSoft level trollfag requirement.

Arnust

Savant
Yeah, having all spells avaleible but for two (Hidden weapon-Bellbros II) and Sunny Spear is surely welcome for the archievement hunters. Forgot about that for a second, I'm giving DS2 his "you did it better than any of the others in THIS aspect and still got shit for it" badge back. I think I'd be doing that, and I'd get the Platinum chiv. It probably would be my first and last "The Dark Soul" archievement of the series because man does it suck for the others.

Arnust

Savant
Yeah, having all spells avaleible but for two (Hidden weapon-Bellbros II) and Sunny Spear is surely welcome for the archievement hunters. Forgot about that for a second, I'm giving DS2 his "you did it better than any of the others in THIS aspect and still got shit for it" badge back. I think I'd be doing that, and I'd get the Platinum chiv. It probably would be my first and last "The Dark Soul" archievement of the series because man does it suck for the others.

Arnust

Savant
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/7rcmf3/dark_souls_2_second_sin_mod/
Hey there! Im Vempirick or vempire (the one who did the nightmare souls, and a lot of fan art for the souls games), this is a labor of love for the game, I hope you like it!!!.

you can find it on the nexus HERE

The intention of this mod is to give you a new fun challenging experience.

-Intended to play with a new character (recommended to join the covenant of champions, will make it even better Imo)

-Changes most areas in the game, some boss encounters and a couple merchants location.

-Some zones are harder than usual, specially around the end game but its not hard for the sake of being hard.

-Most of the changes are lore friendly but due to certain npcs crashing zones I had to get alternative options but they all fit the zones they have been used.

-Progression of this mod end at the boss in Aldias Keep (you can keep going to dragon shrine but there are no more changes)

Throne of want crashes while entering the zone, ---dont go there or you have to launch the game again----, you still can fight those bosses in other locations.

Special thanks to Jgwman for the level editor and Atvaark for BinderTool

Interesting, that guy has some crazy ideas. Looking forward to have Lobos playing it and doing so myself.

Silva

Arcane
Playing Dark Souls 2 after a long time in DS1, DS3 and BB is... weird. The character responsiveness is off somehow, the movement feels floaty, animations more arcady, and this mob-based combat.... well, it all sums up to the feeling that this game is a more a spin-off to the series.

I'll persevere because I actually like the game and know it's just a matter of adapting (though the itch to reinstall BB is growing strong).

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Playing Dark Souls 2 after a long time in DS1, DS3 and BB is... weird. The character responsiveness is off somehow, the movement feels floaty, animations more arcady, and this mob-based combat.... well, it all sums up to the feeling that this game is a more a spin-off to the series.

I'll persevere because I actually like the game and know it's just a matter of adapting (though the itch to reinstall BB is growing strong).

I think it’s worth sticking with.

Some of the animations seem a bit wonky due to them using mo-cap I believe which might be why the weight of things doesn’t seem realistic. I do like DS2 two handed greatsword animations the most though so I wouldn’t say they’re all terrible.

Main difference after playing BB is having to be more thrifty with your rolls as stamina is much stricter - plus no rallying so everything feels slower and more defensive. Don’t think it’s bad per se, just different.

Game felt better to me on replays where you realise that it has the most build / weapon diversity of the souls games and you’ve adjusted to the different “feel”. Plus once you know where the big mob gang-rapes are located you can prepare yourself and they don’t feel as obnoxious :D. Plus it actually has new stuff to throw at you in NG+.

Granted the world design is retarded and there are some terrible bosses but it’s worth pushing through imo, especially for the DLC.

racofer

Thread Incliner

That is because DS2 has shitty controller configurations. You need this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/76/, which fixes the atrocious controller deadzone, making it behave like DS1 and DS3.

Silva

Arcane

That is because DS2 has shitty controller configurations. You need this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/76/, which fixes the atrocious controller deadzone, making it behave like DS1 and DS3.
I'm on PS4 but thanks. I've actually finished it a couple times before so I know I'll adapt eventually.

I'm trying an Explorer for the first time and I noticed it's like a Deprived 2.0. I will be investing in Dex since it has a dagger. Any cosplay tips for gear that sinergize with the character? Are there more weapons or armor from this Lanafir land in the game? Maybe other item-drop rate increasing gear to add to the beret? Is Downall armor from DS1 present here somewhere?

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Hmm, in terms of stuff you can get from Lanafir that you don’t already have...there’s another hat you can get from an invading phantom, think it’s NG+ late on. Other than that, not so much. There’s a ton of sets in the game though, if you don’t mind spoilers you can go on one of the wikis (think it’s the fextralife one) and scroll through thumbnails of all the sets and see if anything jumps out.

There’s rings for item find as usual. Don’t think Domnhall’s is in DS2 but I could be wrong. Might be worth upgrading an extra dagger if you’re sticking to daggers, powerstancing is one of the fun things from DS2 that didn’t make it into DS3.

Arnust

Savant
I end up almost always starting with Explorer. He's got a pretty balanced start and has a decent Agility from the get go, you just need to boost the damage stats wherever you want and you're set. The free Lockstone and other goodies means that the small bit of farming and any souls you get, supported by your +item find hat, is going to go all into more souls for you to level (maybe getting the +Soul gain ring from Melentia).

As for dagger powerstancing, it's kind of atrocious but you porbably can make it work exploiting the Counter Damage system.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Yeah they’re definitely not the best. Rapier or grorious blacksteel katana are probably easier to succeed with as dex weapons.

The boss of earthen peak’s soul makes a nice dagger which inflicts poison and toxic, especially useful if you have two of them.

Then again you can finish the game with a broken sword or your bare fists if you really want to.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
In between session of trying to complete the bastard final mission on Syndicate Wars, I felt the urge to play some DS2 again. Just for funsies, I cheated myself the dragon head/torso stones and a pair of claws from the start to powerstance. Because reasons. They're pretty good fun, but awkward. The crystal lizards are basically impossible to hit (I've been using a halberd on them), and the short range can make it tricky to both get in close enough to strike, damage them, and then get away again without being punished. It's certainly a change of pace from my usual style of using a shield with ultra greatswords and such; lots of dodging around and quickly landing a bunch of strikes when there's an opening. Not sure if they'lll still hold up once I get further into the game. Time will tell.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I went back to DS2 recently, after a long period of :decline: days when I had no time for games. :negative:

I finished Earthen Peak and went straight through Iron Keep, not realizing it is better to return there later. The difficulty spike was pretty noticable and I was out of practice, so I can't even count how many times I died to Smelter Demon, but eventually I got through it, even managing to get a PVP victory at Belfry Sol on the way (I almost never win at PVP and invasion = death). I even found a Black Knight Greatsword on the way, which was like meeting a good old friend (a friend, who learned to also deal fire damage now).
:love:

Kudos to the dev team for being able to make The Gutter much less obnoxious than Blight Town was in DS1, while still interesting and clearly a spiritual successor to that location. The Rotten was a pushover, though.

I just got through Shaded Woods invisible enemy gang-rape and am getting cursed by face-jars in the ruins. Very enjoyable. This is what I love about these games - just when you start feeling comfortable, they will throw at you something you don't quite expect. :salute:

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I too am playing through Scholar.
I really like how, instead of a simple graphics overall, they actually tried to switch things up to keep things new for players of the original.
In fact, its actually more rewarding to play the original first, as then you'd really get taken by surprise.

Trying something of a strength build.
Mace is a good weapon, bandit axe is fun, the Dragon's Tooth is hilarious.
I still don't like how you can change direction with heavy weapons, but at least with the dragon tooth you deal so much damage and poise that feels like there's a fair trade off.

PvP is weird. Why is it that everyone seems to have better health and equipment than me? I've only killed Lost Sinner and reached Iron Keep so far, and yet every human appears to have better weapons, armor and stats.

Arnust

Savant
PvP is weird. Why is it that everyone seems to have better health and equipment than me? I've only killed Lost Sinner and reached Iron Keep so far, and yet every human appears to have better weapons, armor and stats.
Differently to the rest of the games, rushing for the shit you're actually interested in for your build and power leveling doesn't actually involve running past the main path but rather taking an intentional detour, which also happens to be the main fun of replays. That and well, you must be taking your time and not worrying for the Soul memory so it's normal to be matched with more "optimized" playthroughs.

As for STR builds, you don't know fun until you've powerstanced with them, namely with Great Clubs and alike.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I like to actually play the game instead of being a munchkin.
Might try powerstancing. It will mean having to give up the tower shield though.
Is it me, or does the large club have a weirdly specific hit box? Like, it always decides to just narrowly miss the target by a little bit. I'm not even pressing the direction keys. Its a good weapon for bosses, but I'm not feeling it for PvP.
I like the zweihander for that. Its not as heavy as the Greatsword and it has a nice horizontal sweep.

Iron Keep is annoying as fuck. Why did they give the knights such long aggro range? I have to keep running to the foyer to kill them in peace before I get killed by the snipers and their absurdly long range.
Where do Forlorn spawn? I died to one in the Iron Keep and I haven't seen it again. Is it once per playthrough?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom