Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel CthuluIsSpy After playing around a bit with the Zwei, I think I got what you guys were talking about with the sweet spot. The closer to the hilt you hit the enemy, the more damage you do, correct?
I really need to get back and pay real attention to this now, but weapon's sweet spot is the bladed/sharp/blunt/damaging part of a weapon. The prime example of this system would be the halberd, as it has an axe/spear point and a long shaft. To deal the most damage, you have to hit an enemy with the axe/spear point of the weapon, not the shaft, hence the 'sweet spot'. That's why I mentioned maybe you don't really need to focus on hitting with the sweet spot when using swords since it should has long 'sweet spot' compared to halberd's axe/spear point, especially Zweihander being a long, big ass sword.

As for Artorias's sword hand being his left hand, I've heard the guy/gal/xer who's responsible for the game's cover picture messed up and the knight ended up wielding the sword in his left hand or something like that.

Kitchen Utensil

Jesus fucking Christ, somebody at From thinks the Valley of Defilement was the best thing ever and decided to put it every fucking game. Whoever you are, get fucked asshole.

Hm, Valley of Defilement is Demon's Souls version of Blighttown/Gutter?

Kitchen Utensil

Well then, I agree with that dude at From. :smug:
I think Blighttown/Gutter are among the best stages in the series. I like that oppressive atmosphere and that they're so difficult to navigate when you first explore them. It's the kind of stage I miss most in Dark Souls 3.

Edit: Oh damn, I think I might like Demon's Souls.

Kitchen Utensil

Well then, I agree with that dude at From. :smug:
I think Blighttown/Gutter are among the best stages in the series. I like that oppressive atmosphere and that they're so difficult to navigate when you first explore them. It's the kind of stage I miss most in Dark Souls 3.

Edit: Oh damn, I think I might like Demon's Souls.
Well you can go get fucked too. :P

What's nice about DS2 though are the torches, they really add another dimension to the exploration in The Gutter. Now the next area, the Black Gulch, even I think is annoying.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The gutter isn't actually that bad. Sure, its as dark as fuck, makes no sense in how it was constructed and full of enemies that deal tons of damage due to dark buff, but its fairly easy to traverse compared to blighttown.
The Black Gulch is a fuck though. Holy shit what an irritating level. Can't go a step without getting bukkake'd on by poison statues.

Seaking4

Learned
I really enjoyed the Gutter. Some good/fun exploration in there + the level is much bigger than you originally think it is. I didn't even know but last time I played I saw some torch wielding zombies far off in the distance and decided to try and find them and I ended up finding another section to the level with some items, a special heide knight, and a zipline that crosses almost the entire map. It was fun. Plus, it's damn satisfying to look back on the level once you are done and see all the sconces light.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jesus fucking Christ, somebody at From thinks the Valley of Defilement was the best thing ever and decided to put it every fucking game. Whoever you are, get fucked asshole.

edit: Fuck the Shrine of Amana, I ended up shooting everything in the face with the Avelyn. I swear, this has been the single most infuriating area in the game.

Afaik both Blightown and the Shrine of Amana are among the most beloved areas in the series. I guess people like infuriating.

Btw I like both too although differently than I like Dragon Aerie or Firelink Shrine/Undead Burg/Undead Parish.

Arnust

Savant

edit: Fuck the Shrine of Amana, I ended up shooting everything in the face with the Avelyn. I swear, this has been the single most infuriating area in the game.

Afaik both Blightown and the Shrine of Amana are among the most beloved areas in the series. I guess people like infuriating.

Btw I like both too although differently than I like Dragon Aerie or Firelink Shrine/Undead Burg/Undead Parish.
And the Gutter/Valley of Defialment, and whatever the BB ineration is called. The first, great but is soured by Black Gulch for most, and the second is poopoo but the Archdemon is great.

Arnust

Savant
Actually, I liked the Valley and yes, the Archdemon is great. Come to think about it, I guess I just dislike scaffolding? Or I need to see a psychiatrist about some schizophrenia.
It's the least visually interesting, second stage can eat shit for breakfast; Amana with poison, no casters, slowdown and without the view. Enemies aren't too interesting either, one is literally just a scaled up version of the other. First stage is alright I guess, tamer Blighttown with sight of what makes it an actual valley.

I like how everything you guys are complaining about seems like it was hard a long time ago to me. Damn, I really played the shit out of this game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
My only problem with the gutter is that it makes no sense in how it was built or it's place in the world. Not to mention that it follows the Tomb of Giants design philosophy of if you make it dark enough no one can see that you put minimal effort in its design.

In other news, dragonslayer axe is my new best friend.
Also, fume knight on NG+ isn't too hard if you have a +9 dark infused rebel great shield and +9 alonne armor with pharros mask. Oh, you'll still get wrecked if you make a mistake, but the shield does give you breathing room.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Gutter is also the shortest of all these area's if you know how its like 10second run + 1 semi-precise jump....

Vallley of defilement is the best of these maps, the most disgusting and creepy im honestly kinda disappointed that neither bb nor ds3 had an area like it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gutter is also the shortest of all these area's if you know how its like 10second run + 1 semi-precise jump....

Vallley of defilement is the best of these maps, the most disgusting and creepy im honestly kinda disappointed that neither bb nor ds3 had an area like it.

DS3 doesn't have anything, it's a dead soulless shovelware.

As for BB, what's the wider hive consensus on the level design? I know people like BB for the combat, vibe, lore and bosses but level design? When I watched the playthroughs I thought it's terribly linear, fairly horizontal and not particularly devious or surprising.

Silva

Arcane
BB level design is top notch. The very first level - Central Yharnam - may well be the best in the series. It's huge, open-ended, full of optional paths, hidden stuff, high enemy variety, all while being a great "hidden tutorial" for the whole game. The world as a whole lacks the kind interconnectivity of DS1 but the individual levels are really good.

Also, vertical.

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Meh im not a BB Fan, i didnt find it hard at all, more like faceroll easy, monsterdesign is overrated aswell (how many raped werewolf corpses are there?).
Leveldesign: Meh, cairnhurst castle is amazing other than that? Idk pretty okayish.
On the other hand: It's still very good, some bosses are godlike, the lovecraftian stuff is pretty excellent.

Alas me disliking bb could be because im fed up with victorian stuff, ive seen all the Hammer/Bava Horror movies, read most of the novels, played some of the P&P
and had a gothic gf who was obsesses with this shit. Transferring all that stuff to a late medieval period would have been cooler, 1580's or something, platemail, greatsword's and guns.

Silva

Arcane
Bro, saying "I dont like BB" is beside the point. I think you will find it hard to criticize Central Yharnam (or Cathedral Ward, or Forbidden Woords, etc) by most objective criteria.

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
I like athmospheric stuff, that's subjective, im not particulary impressed by anything in BB otherwise i would remember more which i dont, in fact cairnhurst castle is the only area i remembered by name.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BB level design is top notch. The very first level - Central Yharnam - may well be the best in the series. It's huge, open-ended, full of optional paths, hidden stuff, high enemy variety, all while being a great "hidden tutorial" for the whole game. The world as a whole lacks the kind interconnectivity of DS1 but the individual levels are really good.

Also, vertical.

From what I've seen Yharnam is certainly not flat but it's also not vertical like Blighttown or Duke Archives or DS1 in general. It seemed okay-ish tho.

Alas me disliking bb could be because im fed up with victorian stuff

Lol that's literally the only reason I didn't run off to buy a PS4 the moment I saw the gameplay. For some strange reason I can't stand victorian esthetics, never could. Can't explain it, it's just this deep distaste. The only thing I dislike even more is steampunk - if you crossbread victorian with some embarrassingly silly SF. Adore Lovecraft tho so that's a plus.

Silva

Arcane
From what I've seen Yharnam is certainly not flat but it's also not vertical like Blighttown or Duke Archives or DS1 in general. It seemed okay-ish tho.
Yep, Central Yharnam lose on verticality to those two, but wins easily on open-endedness and side/hidden stuff. You can traverse Central Yharnam "main path" a myriad ways (and ignore others). Blightown and Duke's Archives are pretty linear in their main paths.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom