Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If this were achievable in Souls games, the light armor, roll only crowd would throw a bitch fit for the ages. Could you IMAGINE if Souls games had Perfect Blocking where a Block would consume 0 Stamina? The PvP asshurt would be an unstoppable freight train.

Good. Fuck PvP and Multiplayer. Keep that shit separate, or don't cater to it.
Souls should have been about killing bosses, not other players.

praetor

Arcane
miracles nerfed to the fucking ground in 2, Santier's Spear obliterated, the list goes on.

to be fair, pre-patch miracles trivialised PvE to the point it wasn't fun. back then i started a miracle character just to see what the fuss was all about and as soon as i got the basic lightning spear it was game over. they dealt an insane amount of damage and you got 20 of them. it felt good for a bit roflstomping everything like Zeus, but it got boring very quickly. the decision to nerf it was correct, the way they did it wasn't (as it usually is with From and balancing shit, regardless if it's for PvE or PvP they fuck it up more often than not).

similarly it was for hexes, resonant souls and weapon were even more stupidly powerful and accessible way too early (you just need Dragonrider dead). but of course, From being From the nerfhammer destroyed them completely (now it's pointless to even consider using resonant weapon as dark weapon is just as good but lasts longer and requires less stats. lol)

the Int nukes like Vortex and Geyser trivialised pretty much every boss. 2-3 casts and boss dead in less than 30 seconds. it was stupid (and they had pretty much no use in PvP so you can't blame it on the PvP crowd. just like lightning spears)

Santier's (along with the mundane Avelyn) is actually one of the few rebalances where they got it right. made mundane with the old damage calculation it was just retarded. 400-500dmg per hit, and the 2HR1 does something like 4-5 fast hits in a single combo. now it's a perfectly viable and usable weapon (although with the raw path, as mundane is now obsolete unless you plan on playing at really high soul levels) that doesn't outclass anything and everything. it's actually a very very good weapon (and i personally use it constantly, both in PvE and PvP)

Only Katanas went untouched.

they were actually buffed :D (iirc, they got a higher counter and/or critical rating)

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
So I was joking with Blaine about when he was going to post his fist-only no damage ng+7 fume knight fight or whatever, and decided to see if I could find something equally silly on youtube.

I didn't.

I found worse.

Fume knight. Company of Champions. NG+7. No damage taken. At soul level 1. Using a broken ladle.

50 fucking minutes. Jesus christ. That's dedication.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I was joking with Blaine about when he was going to post his fist-only no damage ng+7 fume knight fight or whatever, and decided to see if I could find something equally silly on youtube.

I didn't.

I found worse.

Fume knight. Company of Champions. NG+7. No damage taken. At soul level 1. Using a broken ladle.

50 fucking minutes. Jesus christ. That's dedication.

3871f5d773.jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
Finished it today. 100% completion all bosses down yada yada

I definitely enjoyed it more than DS1.

Better looking
Much more content (although I'd prefer if some of that content didn't exist)
Bigger number of fun and challenging bosses
Better enemy AI
Better item enchanting system (now if I want to make my item fire-based I can do it with a single item without having to grind upgrade stones of a different color like in some Korean MMO)
Much more challenging game overall

Only things that were worse were the controls (but I got used to them like just I got used to the original's shitty KB & M controls) and that the game really did lack originality (some zones and enemies were literal copy pastes from DS1 with a fresh coat of paint)

The "DS2 sucks" circlejerk I keep seeing all over the place never ceases to amaze me, but then again - I played SotFS with all DLCs, so maybe the original DS2 was a steaming pile of shit. I guess I'll never know.

Arnust

Savant
Nah, haters will find their way into having ALWAYS loved vanilla just to spite. You can't reason much with people who spew the word CLUNKY like if they never had played any game before 2009.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The "DS2 sucks" circlejerk I keep seeing all over the place never ceases to amaze me, but then again - I played SotFS with all DLCs, so maybe the original DS2 was a steaming pile of shit. I guess I'll never know.

There's a circlejerk like that for every game on the planet, my dude.

Why people side with one particular Souls game over another, however, depends on a number of factors. You've just sided with the "DS2 is better than DS1" camp, perhaps inadvertently, and are already a participant in the circlejerk. Welcome to the club!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros, what is the best use for souls in this game? Since I ran out of shards to upgrade weapon and shield, I keep levelling up. That way I have reached level ~100 or so, and it starts making little sense to up the stats even more. Currently I am sitting on ~30K souls after beating gargoyles in Belfry Luna and do not really know what to do with them.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
100 isn't really high in DS2, keep levelling up.

Buying all the rare stones from chloanne is another good way of spending souls

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Just go ahead and level everything (with FTH and INT being lower priority, and ADP and ATN just high enough to reach 105 AGL) up to 40 unless you're extremely keen on keeping your Soul Memory/level at a certain point. 40 is the efficiency soft cap for almost everything non-magic related, with the exception of VIT perhaps, though VIT still tapers off noticeably.

40 STR/DEX will allow you to use basically every weapon and shield in the game with very nice scaling, many in power stance and some large weapons in 1H rather than requiring 2H. 40 VIG/END allows for generous health and stamina bars. At least 15-20 each of FTH and INT will allow you to use some weapons with FTH and/or INT requirements, and provide better scaling of elemental and infused weapons. If you get up to 30 FTH/INT, you can use hexes and pyromancies very effectively for specialized purposes such as quickly farming certain bosses.

Personally, I like to collect all the armor sets and weapons just to have them and try them out, so that's an idea for your extra souls.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, 40 str and 40 dex is a good point for a quality build. You can use nearly every weapon one handed with that.
Another thing I noticed - katanas appear to have an odd delay after the second swing. Its really off putting. I was planning on making my new character like my first DS1 character (wanderer start, uses dex weapons, mostly katanas, knows pyros and miracles), but I'm not sure anymore. Might use rapiers or curved swords instead.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Being drawn back to playing through this again. Whilst all the Souls games have their merits, this was the one which really hit the spot for me.

Go for 40 STR and just enough DEX to equip weapons you want at first. DEX scaling is much weaker compared to STR so getting it up to 40 won't make a big difference. Soft cap for VIT should be 29 if i'm not mistaken, no need to go higher than that. To get 105 AGL raise both ADP and ATT to 25. 5 spell slots is good to have even if you don't use any other magic besides Pyromancy, which is exactly what I'd recommend for first run, fuck the other magic types really. Have a crossbow handy for occasional situational ranged use. VIG and END are fine at 20 to start, raise those later.

Being drawn back to playing through this again. Whilst all the Souls games have their merits, this was the one which really hit the spot for me.

For me it's easiest one to replay because it provides the best package of both single player and online play. My prediction is that it's gonna remain most active online years down the road. PVP is loads of fun even when I'm getting my ass kicked because I get too see so many varied builds people come up with.

Last edited:

Urbanolo

Augur
There is no DS2 hate circle jerk, you just refuse to believe that people don't like DS2 as much as DS

It's not that they don't like DS 2 as much as DaS (I'd be fine with that), it's more that a lot of people regurgitate same fucking arguments and issues (MUH PERFECT DaS HITBOXES, B TEAM), which were debunked billion times already. And with this bias and typical internet smugness idiocy is born.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So, something weird is happening in my current run of DS2; NPC invaders are not appearing.
Like, I'm supposed to be invaded by Bowman Guthry in doors of Pharros, the Usurper at Drangleic Castle and Rhoy the Explorer in the Grave of Saints, but none of that happened.
Its really weird. Is it a side effect of the Bell Keeper covenant?

Jigawatt

Arcane
There are 3 sets of NPC invaders: ones you always get, ones that are semi-random (Forlorn et al), and ones that only appear when you play offline to make up for lack of PvP invasions. Not sure about Guthry and Usurper, but Rhoy is definitely part of that last set. Do you normally play offline and haven't been this time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom