Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Blue smelter demon is a cocksucker, especially with all those mages greatbow faggots on inaccessible cliffs above you on the way through the path to him. Spent 3 hours beating him (helped once I realized you can just sanic past all the mobs).

Sir Alonne was also a dick. I ended up summoning the idiot NPCs to help we with that because, again, the path to him is a bitch and I didn't want to deal with that shit.

Fume Knight was excellent though. Took me about 6-7 tries solo. Makes it easier once you realize that his first phase is pretty easy as long as you stay the fuck away from him.

Mozg

Arcane
Blue Smelter would be a decent remix fight if the boss run wasn't so painful. The animation timing mixups and kaizo gotchas are trollishly fun.

I've always been a macaroni and cheese kind of low standards guy for reused engines and content since Gold Box though

v1rus

Arcane
Got both Smelter and Alonne, solo. They aint so hard when you git naked.

Alonne was quite kool, tho he must have killed me 4 or 5 times with his "jump away and then jump at you instantly" bullshit. I kept intuitively drinking my estus whenever he jumped away :p Kool boss tho.

Smelter is a pain in the ass, and I hate the fact he's reused, but he kinda grew on me. And fuck that attack speed changing bullshit. I get him to 10%, he smacks my ass somehow, sure, np, lets do it again. I run to him, he swings, aaaand, I'm dead, cause I rolled the instant he swung, and the fucker is incredibly slow now. Still, gets kinda fun and harmonious once you master it :P

Interestingly, while Alonne took me 20+ times and smelter 30+, I also beat Fume knight (teh hardest boss in the game statistically) in less than ten times. Could be because the mist is right next to the bonfire, so there were no trash npc distractions. Also, he can go to phase two on like 30% hp, if you dont leave his melee for a second.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Blue Smelter is a hilarious bitch with a magic pimped Havel shield. MC Hammer can't touch this cakewalk. Any other method he ripped my butthole to shreds every single time, not to mention the painful trek to him where you die half of the time.

Sir Alonne ditto, Havel shield is your friend, tho his tryhard stab is still dangerous. And the trek to him, after the initial annoyance, was a good fun and great farm, I liked it so much I capped it.

First smashed the two tigers solo first try, now killed Fume before he transitioned? Bro, aren't you spinning a bit of a yarn here? :D

I don't remember exactly how you do it, but i think he won't activate the second phase if you don't stop attacking, i got rekt when he transitioned.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Beat the fume knight.

Fuck that memory of the old king tho, fuck it once more, and fuck it once again, and keep fucking it. I hate that fucking place.

It might be not that bad actually, I might just be burned out. Been playing whole day.

nah, it's not burnout. all 4 challenge areas in the DLCs are pure horseshit solo. i understand them wanting to design some areas that encourage coop but still... pure garbage. as good as the "normal" parts of the DLCs are, the challenge areas are at the bottom of the barrel and make Izalith look like the best level ever

The snowfield in the third dlc is pure dog cock. Like when a dog fucks a mildly obese woman's ass cunt.

awful, don't watch it, dont play it

v1rus

Arcane
Beat the fume knight.

Fuck that memory of the old king tho, fuck it once more, and fuck it once again, and keep fucking it. I hate that fucking place.

It might be not that bad actually, I might just be burned out. Been playing whole day.

nah, it's not burnout. all 4 challenge areas in the DLCs are pure horseshit solo. i understand them wanting to design some areas that encourage coop but still... pure garbage. as good as the "normal" parts of the DLCs are, the challenge areas are at the bottom of the barrel and make Izalith look like the best level ever

The snowfield in the third dlc is pure dog cock. Like when a dog fucks a mildly obese woman's ass cunt.

awful, don't watch it, dont play it

Just made it there. Its disgusting, in every sense of that word.

Now, want to hear a sad tale? My joypad is buggy. Half the time, hes rotating camera to the left, without me doing anything. Got through the whole game like that, tho it killed me couple of times. Now, it went full insane, and keeps rotating and rotating. Had to beat ivory king like that. But, i have no fucking idea how the hell I'm gonna make it through this piece of shit zone :/

Have to do it tho, Lud and Zellen is the only boss fight i havent completed in this game :/

v1rus

Arcane
Beat Lud and Zellen. With both npc summons tho :/

Figured ill bring 'em so i can survive those fucking horses, planning to push 'em off that cliff before the fog. Imagine my surprise when the fuckers wouldnt move an inch. I feel like i cheated, but fuck it, I've been playing this game for too long and i just want to finish it.

Got Nashandra and Scholar, now, just to make it to ng++.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So, trying to play DS2 with KB and Mouse.
Not as bad as I thought, but sometimes when I attack with the mouse my character doesn't do anything, and switching targets is a pain in the ass as you have to use the keyboard. Also, how do I jump attack? I worked out how to guard break (same as ds1's kick on keyboard), but I haven't gotten a jump attack off. Is it forward and strong attack?
Is there a simple Mouse fix, like for DS1?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, trying to play DS2 with KB and Mouse.
Not as bad as I thought, but sometimes when I attack with the mouse my character doesn't do anything, and switching targets is a pain in the ass as you have to use the keyboard. Also, how do I jump attack? I worked out how to guard break (same as ds1's kick on keyboard), but I haven't gotten a jump attack off. Is it forward and strong attack?
Is there a simple Mouse fix, like for DS1?

You need a mouse fix, it's a *.ahk script. Google it. Without it you can't seriously play the game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
K, will try that. I didn't want to install a third party program, but I guess it'll be fine.
Apparently it doesn't exist anymore :/
It wasn't quite what I wanted anyway. I wanted something like I was using for DS1.
I'm used to kick and jump attacks being unchanged (forward + attack), tab being parry, shift being block, right click strong attack, left click light attack and mouse wheel change target.

Disabling double click in options appeared to have fixed some of the input lag, at least.

Last edited:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
You don't need anything third party, you just have to enable the setting called 'DISABLE DOUBLE CLICKING' every time you launch the game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So managed to be last giant and dragonrider.
Can't beat pursuer though. I'm having a bit of trouble with him.
Not sure what build to go as. First DS1 playthrough I did a dex build. Might go sword and board or great weapon this time.
Or maybe I should go Giant Dad, idk.

This is the original DS2, btw. Not scholar.

I prefer DS1 so far. There are some changes I like with DS2, but the level design doesn't feel right, and there's some cheap bullshit early on. Also wtf happened to parrying? It feels wrong. I can parry no problem in DS1, but in DS2 it just doesn't work.

When should I start upgrading weapons? In DS1 there were some pretty big hints what level weapon I needed to have fro the zone, but its not that clear here.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
So managed to be last giant and dragonrider.
Can't beat pursuer though. I'm having a bit of trouble with him.
Not sure what build to go as. First DS1 playthrough I did a dex build. Might go sword and board or great weapon this time.
Or maybe I should go Giant Dad, idk.

This is the original DS2, btw. Not scholar.

I prefer DS1 so far. There are some changes I like with DS2, but the level design doesn't feel right, and there's some cheap bullshit early on. Also wtf happened to parrying? It feels wrong. I can parry no problem in DS1, but in DS2 it just doesn't work.
I do like how throwing knives are actually viable weapons though. They were really weak in DS1, but in DS2 I'm dealing like 80-100 damage. That does make some things easier.

When should I start upgrading weapons? In DS1 there were some pretty big hints what level weapon I needed to have fro the zone, but its not that clear here.

Parrying is nerfed from DS1, especially with medium shields. There are more frames at the start of a parry before it becomes active and the parry window is smaller. Small shields are better, and the buckler/target shield are better still. They buffed the shit out of all throwing weapons and they scale up the whole game so they're always useful.

DS2 weapon upgrading is a lot simpler; instead of weapons being on a lot of separate branches of an upgrade tree locked with embers everything goes +1 to +10 with titanite, +1 to +5 with twinkling titanite ("special" weapons), or +1 to +5 with petrified dragon bones (boss weapons), which the blacksmiths can do from the start if you have the materials. Then once you find the dull ember (the only ember in the game) one of the blacksmiths can infuse weapons, and you can change them pretty easily (e.g. if you want to change a +10 fire rapier to +10 lightning rapier, you just re-infuse it with a lightning stone). Unlike DS1 all infused weapons still have a bit of scaling (lightning scales with wisdom, magic scales with int, fire scales with the sum of int + wisdom, and darkness scales with the lesser of int and wisdom) although it's usually fairly minor if you're infusing something that only did normal damage. Also unlike DS1 pyromancy scales with your fire bonus (from int + wis).

You can get a +10 weapon fairly early, instead of putting the "get four shits from four dungeons" phase at the end like DS1 they put it right after the newbie zone in DS2, and each of the four dungeons will have the shit you need to get a weapon to +7 or +8 easily.

I forget where the weapons are in vanilla DS2 so no help there. I like DS2 great hammers, the 1HR1 is a hyperarmored true 360 controllable attack and the 2HR2 is a comedy pancake.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Good news, finally beat the pursuer, only to find that he's an optional boss; I can't seem to access the rest of the bastille from where his eagle drops you off, so I had to fight the sentry.
Much easier fight. I even made it harder by summoning Lucateil, who didn't follow me into the boss room for some reason -_-
I'm assuming summons increase boss health, anyway.

v1rus

Arcane
Good news, finally beat the pursuer, only to find that he's an optional boss; I can't seem to access the rest of the bastille from where his eagle drops you off, so I had to fight the sentry.
Much easier fight. I even made it harder by summoning Lucateil, who didn't follow me into the boss room for some reason -_-
I'm assuming summons increase boss health, anyway.

Yup, they do. There is some kind of an achievement/equipment bonus if you shes alive while you beat 3 bosses, if you are into that stuff.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since you already beat the Dragonrider, you can proceed from Heide's Tower of Flame into No-Man's Wharf, and then reach the other entrance point of the Lost Bastille. After defeating the boss of No-Man's Wharf, be sure
to pick up the Pyromancy Flame from the chest, as this is the only way to obtain the regular Pyromancy Flame in the entire game (and there's only a single variant Flame).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Since you already beat the Dragonrider, you can proceed from Heide's Tower of Flame into No-Man's Wharf, and then reach the other entrance point of the Lost Bastille. After defeating the boss of No-Man's Wharf, be sure
to pick up the Pyromancy Flame from the chest, as this is the only way to obtain the regular Pyromancy Flame in the entire game (and there's only a single variant Flame).

Yeah, I picked it up.
I also killed Ornstein. First try, too. It turns out circle strafing is really effective against most bosses in DS2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom