Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You can outrun most monsters in that area even in full armor with a couple of well placed rolls, and the Sinner isn't specially difficult.

sullynathan

Arcane
You can outrun most monsters in that area even in full armor with a couple of well placed rolls, and the Sinner isn't specially difficult.
You actually can't, the water makes you too slow to run, you can roll all you want but because your characters body doesn't push enemies when you roll, those zombie grenade enemies will block you while a four armed mini boss is attacking you.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
No, no, I've done it, both on normal and scholar. It's on the right side of the door, run forward a short bit, roll forward from one attack you can't really see, continue on the center-right avoiding aggro from the mummies, roll before going up the left flight of stairs to avoid a mummy, then run and jump through the gap in the wall to the boss.

Don't forget to send the elevator up before trying tho, you don't want to clear the room with 4 archers every time.

If you're really having trouble, strip naked in the elevator and reequip before the boss. No enemies follow you that far.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm seriously disappointed with how little souls I have gotten in NG+. I am level 236 right now and I've only leveled up twice so far in NG+. The bosses barely give any souls either. It's a bitch to play through the base game, I just wanna get to the DLC damn it:negative:

No, no, I've done it, both on normal and scholar. It's on the right side of the door, run forward a short bit, roll forward from one attack you can't really see, continue on the center-right avoiding aggro from the mummies, roll before going up the left flight of stairs to avoid a mummy, then run and jump through the gap in the wall to the boss.

Don't forget to send the elevator up before trying tho, you don't want to clear the room with 4 archers every time.

If you're really having trouble, strip naked in the elevator and reequip before the boss. No enemies follow you that far.
I've already beat the boss, I have no time for the BS so I summoned npcs to distract the enemies while I ran.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Agreed about the Flexile Sentry in Sinner's Rise. Haven't played NG+ yet but in NG it's fucking annoying since you basically have to chip it from afar. Every single time if you have trouble with the Sinner. But I haven't tried to run, I've just assumed you can't do it, what with the slowing water and zombies getting in your way. Luckily Sinner is easy, if you light up the room, got him 2nd try.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Luckily Sinner is easy, if you light up the room, got him 2nd try.
You can light up the room? I didn't know that. What benefits do you get?

Those two rooms at the sides of the entrance to the Sinner, there's a tar chute you can light up with your torch. During the fight with the Sinner the room is lit so you see more and don't loose your lock after the retard jumps.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I have played DS2 twice with all DLCs. Is playing SOTFS worth it? Is it, like, 99% the same game? I don't care about the graphics, I just want to know if I will feel the raep in new and spectacular ways.

Mozg

Arcane
I only played the non-DLC version of vanilla DS2 but all that was 99% the same. If you feel like replaying DS2 it's worth it to get the newer version so the enemy and item placements will be a bit remixed (and there's probably a better trickle of coop and PvP) but it's not even close to being a new experience.

Hyperion

Arcane
I loved every second of Scholar, but 2 is also my favorite game of the series. It's definitely not a 'brand new' experience, but there are enough changes in enemy and item placement to make the game feel fresh if you're interested in another playthrough.

DramaticPopcorn

I loved every second of Scholar, but 2 is also my favorite game of the series. It's definitely not a 'brand new' experience, but there are enough changes in enemy and item placement to make the game feel fresh if you're interested in another playthrough.
This opinion should be disregarded entirely.

Max Stats

Liturgist
How is DSII:SOTFS different to Dark Souls 3? I mean the single player experience.

You can despawn enemies from areas if you kill them enough times. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is matter of opinion.

worse but with better DLC

Definitely worse, though I can't comment on the DLC as I never got that far in 2 and 3's still got some DLC that's not out yet.

typical user

Arbiter
Ok but what about enemy design, is the game fast-paced like DSIII with roll-spam and useless poise? How is the PC port? Is it playable with mouse and keyboard? What is power-stance that I heard about? Is DSII same like 3 with level design going from location A to location B to C, etc.? Or does it feature more complex levels like original Dark Souls with shortcuts to different areas?

I don't care much about story since I am not a fag that reads every item description.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
DS2 is a weird beast. It has that one mechanic with the Ascetic Bonfire that allows you to reach NG+ areas at any point in the game, which made the single player campaign more interesting than it should. Progression is a bit off, as the gameworld got scrapped and rebuilt in the late stages of development and the result shows. Some enemies are mildly interesting, some areas like the DLCs are challenging, but there's nothing groundbreaking.

As far as combat mechanics go, iframes on roll depended on a stat and there was no poise break like in DS1. Powerstance is dual-wielding two of the same weapon and getting access to a new moveset or special skills.

The PC port is good, but avoid M&K.

praetor

Arcane
PC port is excellent. very optimised. enemy design & variety is good, definitely not fast paced and spammy like Ds3 (combat mechanics are several orders of magnitude better than the shitfest that is Ds3). powerstance is special dual-wielding stance that you can do (and some weapon combos have special movesets)

level design is... eh. the "vanilla" part is very linear in the progression, with the caveat that it has a fair number of possible (but still linear paths), with only a small part of the levels providing some diversity. the 3 DLCs though are easily the best the Souls games have to offer and are worth the price of admission all by themselves.

Mozg

Arcane
As far as combat mechanics go, iframes on roll depended on a stat and there was no poise break like in DS1.

Eh? In the final patch at least poise works. It's nerfed a lot from DS1 and there are some peculiarities (e.g. I think most running attacks always break any amount of player poise, unless you're in hyper armor).

Edit - Wait, do you mean no kick? Yeah, DS2 has a very slow guard break attack.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
No, I mean I couldn't zweihander low poise people into the ground in a loop. Maybe I chose the wrong name for it. The mechanic where enough damage would cause stagger or tumble.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
That's just a "splat" knockdown on the DS1 zweihander 2H running attack. The DS2 great hammers usually do it on their 2hr2s, I can't remember if the zwei itself still has any because the DS2 zwei sux.

Zerginfestor

Learned
After the release of DS3, I have to say, I definitely prefer 2 over 3 and even possibly 1, mostly because it makes nearly every weapon type viable to use, from whips, to fist weapons, to even using Greatbows in multiplayer invasions being actually viable, whereas using it in DS1 would is basically playing the waiting game on your opponent, releasing the shot just as they finished a roll, and DS3 just shits on most builds.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Playing SOTFS with a heavy-armored cleric w/lance. I think I am having some sort of fun but not totally sure yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom