Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
sDunz.jpg

hell yes more good action games for me to be terrible at

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
^ Only if ME 3 and Witcher 2 are full-fledged RPGs with the levels of interaction not seen since Arcanum. ;)

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
You need reflexes so it isn't in GRPG. Why I can't I use my character's reflexes? Fuck you this is gamist bullshit go backstab somewhere else

praetor

Arcane
Well I can't use a controller so it's a moot point and it seems like that is the way people say to play it. (Not that I was thinking of playing it anyway!)

for satan's sake. how many times do i have to repeat myself? you DON'T need a controller since this, believe it or not, ISN'T DMC/NG. BoD has pretty much "proven" that this kind of game can be perfectly played on kb&m. if you haven't played BoD, i'd advise you to do so and then come crying here about how much you suck

Well I can't use a controller so it's a moot point and it seems like that is the way people say to play it. (Not that I was thinking of playing it anyway!)

for satan's sake. how many times do i have to repeat myself? you DON'T need a controller since this, believe it or not, ISN'T DMC/NG. BoD has pretty much "proven" that this kind of game can be perfectly played on kb&m. if you haven't played BoD, i'd advise you to do so and then come crying here about how much you suck

DMC/NG games work fine with a keyboard anyway. My SSS games in DMC are 100% keyboard because the controllers force you to either do ridiculous gymnastics trying to hold/press 5 different buttons in sequence or manually swap the controller configuration every time you change your style of play. With keyboard I simply press the key to make awesome shit happen, its much more comfortable and easier to use. At worst it has a slightly higher initial learning curve and comes with a key configuration that was made by someone who never actually played the game.

The only times I find a controller is preferable to a keyboard is in the Street Fighter-style 2D fighters which require you to make half-circle movements and all that shit to use the skills (which realistically should just be bound to another key if properly translated to a keyboard scheme).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck this shit when in year we'll have Wasteland 2. :smug:

Never thought I'd agree with a commie :p but this thread has done nothing to convince me that this is anything other than what I thought it was initially... a button-smashing, console action game, twitch-fest... no thanks. Think I'd rather go nerdrage in the W2 vigilance forum than talk about this game anymore.

Emily

Arcane

Never thought I'd agree with a commie :p but this thread has done nothing to convince me that this is anything other than what I thought it was initially... a button-smashing, console action game, twitch-fest... no thanks. Think I'd rather go nerdrage in the W2 vigilance forum than talk about this game anymore.
lol why judge game you know nothing about?
Not buying game is one thing, just bashing game for hell no reason at all is another

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

As much as I'm looking forward to W2 (and I'm unbelievably excited!!), I'd be really suprised if it manages to be at least on par with Dark Souls. I mean, I hope it will, but still I'm gonna be surprised; that'd be one hell of a feat to pull of.

praetor

Arcane

wow... and you're not even a newfag. codex sinks to new lows every day...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Still think this game looks like crap and I'm not talking visuals. Looks like every other "Push A repeatedly to win" console action game relying on me mashing buttons instead of my character build. Well whatever, this game was never targeting me in the first place (get a gamepad... please:?). I'm just shocked at the number of long time bros that seem to think this coming to the PC is some kind of great thing.

The thing about this statement is that you are wrong. That's all.

Tell me how I'm wrong...

It's probably been mentioned here already, because it's mentioned in every thread I've ever seen concerning DeS and DaS anywhere, but if you try to play it as a straight up HnS you are going to get butt paddled quite hard. There's just no winning if you try it that way, even if you over grind and get the cheesy armor buffing spells. You are still going to get slapped around if you don't take it seriously. You have to have some kind of co-ordination in combat. Even with magic that is the most over powered of all the combat styles you still have to orient yourself; dodge, block, parry and constantly move around because it takes time to cast the stronger spells and you don't want to be squished while you're getting off a spell. I'm not saying that it's super hard and that you have to fight tooth and nail every time, but you do have to be cautious or you'll get killed. You can't click clickidy click your way to victory. Even the beginner enemies can block with shields, and believe me, they can ruin your day pretty fast if you go full retard even for a second.

I've seen my friends try to play it like Diablo. They didn't get very far. Most of them didn't even get to Taurus, which is the first proper boss fight, not counting the tutorial demon.

Phelot

Arcane

wow... and you're not even a newfag. codex sinks to new lows every day...

I've never even played this game and I'm baffled by all this, too.

Phelot

Arcane
Still think this game looks like crap and I'm not talking visuals. Looks like every other "Push A repeatedly to win" console action game relying on me mashing buttons instead of my character build. Well whatever, this game was never targeting me in the first place (get a gamepad... please:?). I'm just shocked at the number of long time bros that seem to think this coming to the PC is some kind of great thing.

Tell me how I'm wrong...

It's probably been mentioned here already, because it's mentioned in every thread I've ever seen concerning DeS and DaS anywhere, but if you try to play it as a straight up HnS you are going to get butt paddled quite hard. There's just no winning if you try it that way, even if you over grind and get the cheesy armor buffing spells. You are still going to get slapped around if you don't take it seriously. You have to have some kind of co-ordination in combat. Even with magic that is the most over powered of all the combat styles you still have to orient yourself; dodge, block, parry and constantly move around because it takes time to cast the stronger spells and you don't want to be squished while you're getting off a spell. I'm not saying that it's super hard and that you have to fight tooth and nail every time, but you do have to be cautious or you'll get killed. You can't click clickidy click your way to victory. Even the beginner enemies can block with shields, and believe me, they can ruin your day pretty fast if you go full retard even for a second.

I've seen my friends try to play it like Diablo. They didn't get very far. Most of them didn't even get to Taurus, which is the first proper boss fight, not counting the tutorial demon.

Sorry bro, but all this requires buttons being pressed, so it's obviously a button masher.

praetor

Arcane

Tell me how I'm wrong...

Sorry bro, but all this requires buttons being pressed, so it's obviously a button masher.

you're wrong, bro. since you have to press buttons at specific times, it's obviously one big QTE just like ArmA2

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Taurus can still be killed like the tutorial boss, IMHO the game really show it's claws on the Gargoyle Boss. One of the best boss fight I ever had, there are no gimmicks, no "best strategy", only you having to adapt yourself at every move he does.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Taurus can still be killed like the tutorial boss, IMHO the game really show it's claws on the Gargoyle Boss. One of the best boss fight I ever had, there are no gimmicks, no "best strategy", only you having to adapt yourself at every move he does.

I clenched my teeth together and rushed Taurus head on with only a very limited amount of Soul Arrows the first few times I faced off with him. I didn't use the stabbing method to kill him. Shit was hard but fun. I wish I could replay DeS for the first time again, although I wouldn't mind having meta knowledge about the bullshit that is trying to cut off Seath's tail off.

Emily

Arcane
I am very much looking forward to this, i played Demon souls on ps3 and it was MAJESTIC in a good way... Didnt play a hard game well.. 3-4 years before this one.. Games these days just piss easy, it is really refreshing to see titles like these. Also i loved upgrade system it had, so it was viable to upgrade one weapon to epic stats.. I guess game Deamon souls does get a bit on the easy side towards the end, but not too much, also by reading the revwies for Dark souls as i understand the game is hard all the way to the end : D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom