Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I don't agree, but I think I am starting to see where you are coming from.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Guys please, you have pushed Skyway into a corner. He's entrenched. His bloated Ukranian ego could never forgive to make a step back, man up, and admit that he actually does enjoy a game or two. He'd be toally destroyed by his very critics 'till he would have to flip-flop back, thus losing any little credibility he has left.

Poor poor Skyshit.

Number Six

Augur
Well, well, well just like with Mass Effect the "PC Elite" is crawling on its knees for the sloppy seconds of a hardkore console ARPG. Just this time they won't have a hot sex-alien stroking their virtual dicks (or maybe I'm wrong it's a Japanese game after all).

/Skywaymode

Phelot

Arcane
You don't need skill to press 1 button when the game tells you to. You need perfect reaction.

Good God Skyway... is hand-eye coordination and timing no longer a skill? Where you one of those kids that used to fall off platforms over and over again in old games?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Skyway was one of the only people cynical about Skyrim the second it released whilst most everyone else couldn't stop lapping it up. Give the guy a break, good in a tight spot he is.

Phelot

Arcane
Skyway was one of the only people cynical about Skyrim the second it released whilst most everyone else couldn't stop lapping it up. Give the guy a break, good in a tight spot he is.

It's pretty fool proof claiming everything is shit, most stuff these days are. Also, he tends to confuse people saying shit like "Well, this part of the game was alright" with "OMG BEST GAME EVER GIVE ME KKK!" There's no middle ground with him which gets tiresome.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still think this game looks like crap and I'm not talking visuals. Looks like every other "Push A repeatedly to win" console action game relying on me mashing buttons instead of my character build. Well whatever, this game was never targeting me in the first place (get a gamepad... please:?). I'm just shocked at the number of long time bros that seem to think this coming to the PC is some kind of great thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're trying too hard, Ed123.

For the record, I have no console or gamepad and have never played Dark Souls, but I see no reason to discount the praise it's been getting from enlightened bros.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Still think this game looks like crap and I'm not talking visuals. Looks like every other "Push A repeatedly to win" console action game relying on me mashing buttons instead of my character build. Well whatever, this game was never targeting me in the first place (get a gamepad... please:?). I'm just shocked at the number of long time bros that seem to think this coming to the PC is some kind of great thing.

The thing about this statement is that you are wrong. That's all.

Phelot

Arcane

I was drawn in with people claiming Dark Souls is a lot like Blade of Darkness. I'm not entirely sure it is, though.

Anyone that's played both games, would someone used to BoD controls find DS's controls around the same?

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The thing about this statement is that you are wrong. That's all.

Tell me how I'm wrong...

Phelot

Arcane
From what I understand, key mashing will only lead to your repeated death, but what do I know?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I don't know if there are any people here honestly claiming that Dark Souls is a CRPG? I don't know what namco markets it as but the series always struck me as some kind of action roguelike done right + cliche avoidance + atmosphere similar to castlevania in 3D

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am not sure if it's been covered in our prestigious magazine, but it appears the only game worth buying PS3 for is finally coming to PC. I am naturally talking about Dark Souls.

Source:

died.png

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/03/21/confirmed-dark-souls-announcement-is-pc-release/

It's still speculation, but one which has quite solid grounds. I am quite excited at the news and am looking forward to the release - which it seems - will be on April 18th.

mindx2

Patron
I don't know if there are any people here honestly claiming that Dark Souls is a CRPG? I don't know what namco markets it as but the series always struck me as some kind of action roguelike done right + cliche avoidance + atmosphere similar to castlevania in 3D

That's probably the best explanation I've heard. If that's the case then this game is definitely not for me.

Agreed and I knew better than to click your link... my bad :eek:!!

funkadelik

Arcane
This game fucking rocks. We need the Dark/Demon Souls Franchise, Monster Hunter Franchise and Patapon for the PC.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Hmm. Cool! I didn't think it'd be treated as RPG, so I didn't look for it there.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I wouldn't mind hunting down some monsters with my bro skyway

I bet he's a beast in ME3 multiplayer

praetor

Arcane
You don't need skill to press 1 button when the game tells you to. You need perfect reaction.

and how is this relevant to DkS? there are no QTE in the game

DMC at least has combos and fun battles. Not "wait until the enemy will play a specific animation to hit him, you can't really harm him at all other times"

you're obviously not talking about DkS because that does not happen in the game at all. and you can combo if you know what you're doing, except there aren't any pre-made "combos" like in BoD and they're not fast paced and flashy like DMC/NG (since it's an entirely different kind of game). although by this statement of yours i'd be willing to bet you don't even know what "combo" means

It isn't like it's some game which requires you to parry and attack in many ways to catch the enemy pants down instead of a simple "press a button at the right time"

try parrying but not doing it "at the right time" and watch your ass get handed to you.

i'm pretty sure you never even saw the game in action, let alone played it. btw the game that is the most similar to DkS is a PC exclusive (Blade of Darkness.. although, from what i gather watching videos and reading around the net, the 2nd most similar is indeed a console game, i.e. Monster Hunter)

Still think this game looks like crap and I'm not talking visuals. Looks like every other "Push A repeatedly to win" console action game relying on me mashing buttons instead of my character build.

try playing it like that and you won't get past the tutorial. if you're not careful and methodical, if you don't familiarize with your moveset and observe the enemy (a la Blade of Darkness) you'll just die over and over again with little to no progress

I was drawn in with people claiming Dark Souls is a lot like Blade of Darkness. I'm not entirely sure it is, though.

Anyone that's played both games, would someone used to BoD controls find DS's controls around the same?

if you don't mind the loss of directional attacks (i.e. pressing left+attack performing an attack from the left side etc) and "pre-made combos" you'll find the controls are much more polished and significantly improved (also thanks to the significantly better animations and overall visual feedback (other than dismemberment :( ))

anyway, i'd advise for everybody with some kind of interest to wait for @Edward_R_Murrow's review since he's one of the few that actually knows what the hell he's talking about when it comes to these kinds of games (unlike skyderp & co)

mindx2

Patron
Well I can't use a controller so it's a moot point and it seems like that is the way people say to play it. (Not that I was thinking of playing it anyway!)

betamin

Learned
People still respond to skyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom