Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
so... would you say that old version was a scam?
The original PC port? Most definitively. I'd wager it's about as bad as to basically buy ANY version of DS1 but console ones because of how massive of a hackery both Prepare to die and Remaster PC are.
im trying to get people admit to it for some time

What. You've never heard anyone said the DS1 port is a disgrace? Hm.

Silva

Arcane
Anyone managed to play the network test version yet? Got it on PS4 but the server is always off.

Edit: nevermind. The test will run on 11-12 may. Why lemme download it now dammit.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
From the "Post Random Images" thread, i think this sums up the remooster quite well.

31776043_1740135942720222_3457007640268242944_n.jpg

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

No motion blur excuses here. I hope people organize a review bombing. Journalists are afraid of these kind of consumer initiatives because they eliminate the justification for the bribes they receive from the publishers.

What's the point of bribery if the media can't even control the narrative and hide the shit sold to us?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

No motion blur excuses here. I hope people organize a review bombing.

Yea 1 worse texture out of 1000's in-game textures which you only see once in such ultra zoom during a cinematic cutscene, game is literraly fuckin unplayable 0/10 piece of shite, nuke it from orbit to be sure

You are gonna see soon the other 999 remake shitty textures soon enough, don't worry.

DS1 is my favourite game of all time, and that's why I want a good remake. What is so dificult to understand?

No motion blur excuses here. I hope people organize a review bombing.

Yea 1 worse texture out of 1000's in-game textures which you only see once in such ultra zoom during a cinematic cutscene, game is literraly fuckin unplayable 0/10 piece of shite, nuke it from orbit to be sure

It's not about texture, it's obviously shittier lighting, you fucking retard. DSFix provides really nice looking ambient occlusion, which is clearly not as good in Remaster.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just hope it doesn't use DS3 horrible lighting that makes the world look eternally light grey.
By this point it's reasonable to assume the worst and then multiply it by 10.

This is gonna be a PR disaster for From that'll dwarf the disappointment with DS2 vanilla. Here's hoping their fix to Remaster will be just as glorious as SotFS.

Arnust

Savant
Well, in fariness the Remaster situation is more akin to the first release of SOTFS when it comes to the ethics of it, except as we've realized, it was ALSO a next gen port as well as a Director's Cut deal, which was arguably also "needed" depending on how you feel about it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The only reason SOTFS didn't get much of a shitstorm is because it was an early re-release that included all DLC AND a decent amount of (not really positive in my views, made places like Heide tower highly cancerous) changes across the entire game in terms of enemy placements, items and so on.

Unless they do something more than what has already been said about the DS1 remaster, it's going to be From's biggest, laziest cash grab ever.

toucanplay

Novice
I thought that From wasn't doing this, and that it was some Chinese development team; is that not the case?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I thought that From wasn't doing this, and that it was some Chinese development team; is that not the case?

It's most likely a Bamco project. From is supposed to "oversee" it but I can't imagine they give any real shit by this point, they have their hands full with 3 new projects developed simultaneously and they can't be bothered with some 7 years old antique, you know the one that actually put them on the map. Plus Miyazaki burned out on the series while developing DS1 and hates its guts ever since so the game can go fuck itself.

No, they look to new, exciting horizons and the only thing DS fans are good for is squeezing them for 40 dorra for a netcode patch and spliced in DSFix mod.

L'Montes

Educated

Prior to the information about the remasters being released, Miyazaki had this to say about calls for remakes/remasters:

I've mentioned this before, but Sony Interactive Entertainment holds the rights to Demon's Souls, and Bandai Namco Entertainment holds the rights to Dark Souls, so they call the shots on remasters and remakes – so I'm not in a position to comment specifically on it. As for the question of having an external team create a remaster or remake, I’m not opposed to this idea by any means. If such a scenario arose, I know that both Sony and Bandai Namco are mindful of the integrity of the respective titles, and I'm confident that each would put together a highly-skilled team that would be an appropriate fit.

He was pretty blunt about Fromsoft not going back to Dark Souls for awhile. If it winds up being a "PR disaster for From", then that'll mostly be due to ignorance on the part of gamers more than anything.

The Chinese dev (Virtuos?) you're referencing is responsible for the Nintendo Switch port, supposedly.

For all the other platforms, the developer is QLOC (Polish dev house), or so they say.

In both cases, the oversight appears to be from Namco Bandai (the rights-holder), not Fromsoft. There were reports about this:

"Early in development other QOL changes and additions for Dark Souls Remastered were being considered, and in some cases prototyped, before staff were told to revert almost all changes and leave the game's content as it was."
- from here.

It's possible that a Demon's Souls remake would turn out better, since Sony seems to favor Bluepoint for their remake/remaster work, and JAPAN studios (internal Sony studio) was already a co-dev on both Demon's and Bloodborne. If Sony is going to do something like that though, we've yet to hear about it.

Ivan

Arcane
As someone who doesn't give a fuck about PVP, particularly in DS1, that Rekindled mod intrigues me. Thanks for sharing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How do mods work with multiplayer? A part of the DS experience is dealing with invaders

That's why I've never tried any mods in Dark Souls. No idea how likely it is they'll shadowban you but imma not gonna risk it.

But I'm planning my next run with those two mods, I just have to remember to switch Steam to offline beforehand.

Arnust

Savant
How do mods work with multiplayer? A part of the DS experience is dealing with invaders

That's why I've never tried any mods in Dark Souls. No idea how likely it is they'll shadowban you but imma not gonna risk it.

But I'm planning my next run with those two mods, I just have to remember to switch Steam to offline beforehand.
It's safe to just play offline, really. Just remember to not log in the session when mods can affect it. As for DS1 is concerned pretty much everything should be safe, that's ONE thing going for it. And against it considering the cheaters but alas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom