Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I loved Dark Souls 3. For some reason, I could not, for the life of me, get into previous Souls games. So, luckily I have a reason to buy the remaster even though it looks like nothing special.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I loved Dark Souls 3. For some reason, I could not, for the life of me, get into previous Souls games. So, luckily I have a reason to buy the remaster even though it looks like nothing special.
Tried Bloodborne?

Yeah I own it, but I haven't played more than an hour yet. I'm not too keen on the art style / design (I love Dark Souls' realistic subdued armour and swords that aren't 20 meters long). Also there are some ugly memories attached to it, so I'll probably wait on trying the game again.

janior

Arcane
Patron
c6g20rP.png

Silva

Arcane
Tried Bloodborne?

Yeah I own it, but I haven't played more than an hour yet. I'm not too keen on the art style / design (I love Dark Souls' realistic subdued armour and swords that aren't 20 meters long). Also there are some ugly memories attached to it, so I'll probably wait on trying the game again.
Your argument makes no sense. BB weapons are utilitarian in nature (canes, saws, knives) and DeS and DS1 have a fair share of smaller/no-nonsense weapons. But DS3 ? WTF, DS3 is the one that goes full Berserk with every weapon and every armor looks like a Rio carnaval dress.

Last edited:

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Tried Bloodborne?

Your argument makes no sense. BB weapons are utilitarian in nature (canes, saws, knives) and DeS and DS1 have a fair share of smaller/no-nonsense weapons. But DS3 ? WTF, DS3 is the one that goes full Berserk with every weapon and every armor looks like a Rio de Janeiro carnaval fancy dress.

Oh, it wasn't an argument, it's just my subjective taste. I don't say one is superior to the other, I simply stated what I lke. Maybe didn't phrase it elegantly, because sure, Dark Souls has absolutely ludicrous armour and weapon designs, I know. But they also have absolutely awesome, historically inspired armour like the Maximilian breast plate and stuff like that. Plus I love the late middle ages style a lot more than the Victorian era design of Bloodborne.

Silva

Arcane
Tried Bloodborne?

Your argument makes no sense. BB weapons are utilitarian in nature (canes, saws, knives) and DeS and DS1 have a fair share of smaller/no-nonsense weapons. But DS3 ? WTF, DS3 is the one that goes full Berserk with every weapon and every armor looks like a Rio de Janeiro carnaval fancy dress.

Oh, it wasn't an argument, it's just my subjective taste. I don't say one is superior to the other, I simply stated what I lke. Maybe didn't phrase it elegantly, because sure, Dark Souls has absolutely ludicrous armour and weapon designs, I know. But they also have absolutely awesome, historically inspired armour like the Maximilian breast plate and stuff like that. Plus I love the late middle ages style a lot more than the Victorian era design of Bloodborne.
That's cool. I think you will like DS1 then. It's the more "sober" in this regard for me.

RoSoDude

Arcane
...All you'd have to do to turn Bed of Chaos from "the worst abomination to sully an otherwise fantastic game" to "a mediocre but soon forgotten minor blemish" is completely remove the stupid crumbling floors and not save your progress between attempts. The fact that they didn't reset your progress like every single other boss in the game, including the other multi-stage bosses, is proof that the design is utter dogshit and desperately needed it to keep players from destroying their own consoles out of sheer frustration.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wouldn’t it be nice if Durante took the opportunity to revisit Dsfix and tweak it a bit? I am with everything he has learned in the years after Dsfix he could come up with some much better solutions... for all the “artistic” liberties, redone lighting, hi res textures and the usual dumbfuckery I have seen from the Remastered version I still cannot believe they didn’t implement Ambient Occlusion
I agree that a smooth 60 FPS sounded like a winning proposition for me to buy this but I guess not even that will get me to pony up $40
I mean bethesda of all publishers got it right making Skyrim Remastered free to current PC owners THAT is how you do it not charging twice for the same product

Perkel

Arcane
Wouldn’t it be nice if Durante took the opportunity to revisit Dsfix and tweak it a bit?

Durante "fix" is just dx calls insertion via .dll he can't do more than what he did.

He basically did what shitload of people do with ENB, just more advanced.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wouldn’t it be nice if Durante took the opportunity to revisit Dsfix and tweak it a bit?

Durante "fix" is just dx calls insertion via .dll he can't do more than what he did.

He basically did what shitload of people do with ENB, just more advanced.
He redid the post processing and ambient occlusion for his other program a couple of times so he did make improvements to his programming, maybe he could tweak it a bit or something... I bet his stuff is better than whatever this “remaster” will manage

Perkel

Arcane
His other program is just front end.
If you look at ENB dev he does fucking amazing stuff like introducing global illumination (skyrim), sub surface scattering etc.

That being said it is not dis durante work it just less amazing that people think.

Arnust

Savant
In a few months...
DacgxRzWsAADMZe.jpg

Yes, I'm just posting memes. Yes, that's the best thing about the DSRemaster.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A List of DARK SOULS REMASTERED Changes from the Original...
1) The maximum number of players online has increased from 4 to 6.

2) The Dried Finger item will be needed to play with 6 players.

3) The Dried Finger has been moved from the Painted World of Ariamis level to the Undead Burg merchant to be obtainable earlier in the game.

4) The Dried Finger location in the Painted World has been replaced with a Twin Humanities item.

5) Password Matchmaking is now available, similar to Dark Souls 3.

6) When a player is summoned in Password Matchmaking the player level will be synced.

7) It's now easier for friends to be matched with each other.

8) When the guest player’s character level and weapon is higher than that of the host player, the level will be adjusted accordingly.

9) Healing items will not be available during PvP with the exception of Estus Flasks.

10) To prevent long and drawn out battles, the number of Estus Flasks is halved for phantoms.

11) When a player defeats an invading phantom, their Estus Flask is restored.

12) Players can turn on/off global matchmaking.

13) Players can now prevent matched Red Phantoms from seeing their “White Sign Soapstone” sign.

Players can no longer summon ally phantoms consecutively when in combat with enemy phantoms.

14) In online play, players who are outside of the host’s parameter range will not be matched with each other (the players can still be matched via Password Matching).

15) 3v3 and 6-player deathmatch have been added.

16) Arena battles can also use Password Matching.

17) Respawn points will be random.

18) Players can select the number of usable items, such as consumable souls or covenant items, to use instead of one at a time as in the original game.

19) The number of languages has been increased to the number found in Dark Souls 3.

20) A Bonfire has been added next to Vamos the Blacksmith.

21) Covenants can be switched at Bonfires.

22) Button configuration is available.

23) Items will not automatically be registered into an item slot when picked up.

24) When the up or down directional pad button is held down, the first item equipped will be selected.

25) The online network has been changed from P2P to dedicated servers.

Just saying... It's not "just modded Dark Souls".

SOURCE:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/04/03/here-are-all-the-differences-between-dark-souls-and-dark-souls-remastered

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
8) When the guest player’s character level and weapon is higher than that of the host player, the level will be adjusted accordingly.
That means no more twinks with katana + 10? That's the shittiest single thing they could come up with. This ruins it for me. The new graphics are shit, but I could live with it. This however crosses the line.

Hyperion

Arcane
I think 'guest player' in this case refers to white phantoms, since they seem to specify invaders in some of the bullet points, and #14 suggests people who outlevel the host won't be able to invade them at all. So no carrying low level players?

praetor

Arcane
That means no more twinks with katana + 10? That's the shittiest single thing they could come up with. This ruins it for me. The new graphics are shit, but I could live with it. This however crosses the line.

i think that's only for password matched players? i mean, that's how it works for password matching in ds3 and bb, so i'm assuming it's the same system... if it's not, then holy shit have they fucked it up royally

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom