Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but as a PC gamer, I like that this remaster is being made if only for the ability to play at 60 FPS without glitches. All the other changes are pretty minor (and they neither bother nor impress me) but native 60 FPS is a huge deal IMO.

It is even supposed to run at 60 FPS on the consoles now (except for Switch, I guess), and console players will probably appreciate having the whole trilogy on one platform.

I won't be buying this anytime soon, though, since I do not play to replay DS1 in the near future (too many other games to play), but in a few years, when it gets discounted to McDonald's meal level, maybe?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks like this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but as a PC gamer, I like that this remaster is being made if only for the ability to play at 60 FPS without glitches.

There's ONE ladder where a glitch occurs, you'll hardly ever use it and it can be prevented by the simple press of the backspace key. To avoid that unbearable hassle the remaster will split the community and bury any hopes for a proper remake for the next decade.

Just sayin' there's a reason this argument is unpopular.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
even supposed to run at 60 FPS on the consoles now (except for Switch, I guess), and console players will probably appreciate having the whole trilogy on one platform.
This is it. The game is being made for the console players who entered the series through DS3 and BB and are curious about DS1. For me, if this means I'll be playing the greatest game ever made at native 60fps from the comfyness of my sofa (instead of a wooden computer desk) then it's worth it.

Arnust

Savant
even supposed to run at 60 FPS on the consoles now (except for Switch, I guess), and console players will probably appreciate having the whole trilogy on one platform.
This is it. The game is being made for the console players who entered the series through DS3 and BB and are curious about DS1. For me, if this means I'll be playing the greatest game ever made at native 60fps from the comfyness of my sofa (instead of a wooden computer desk) then it's worth it.
Unless you've got an Xbox One, which already has a backwards compatible port version with all the HD 4K whatever nonsense. Nevermind that "something" tells me it's not going to be dern rock steady 60FPS all the way through, justa hunch.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless you've got an Xbox One, which already has a backwards compatible port version with all the HD 4K whatever nonsense. Nevermind that "something" tells me it's not going to be dern rock steady 60FPS all the way through, justa hunch.
XBOX One backwards compatibility mode will still run the game at 30 FPS, though.

If anyone is interested, Digital Foundry has tested early version of the game and it mostly holds 60 FPS on PS4 Pro at "almost 4K" resolution (3200x1800), but they could only play up to Taurus Demon, so the true test of Blight Town is still ahead.

The graphical improvements are nothing to write home about, IMO.

Arnust

Savant
I wonder if it isn't actually cheaper to just get and install a Steam Link.

Nice bug on that video at about 9:50 btw.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yes, it's a remaster for the "next gen" consoles...at the very end of their lifetime.

They still should've done more with it, much more. It IS the greatest game ever made but it's still very flawed.

Also a reminder - you'll pay 40 bucks for this 60 FPS patch.

Kitchen Utensil

They should've done less. It's supposed to be a remaster, not a remake.
And everything they did change graphically, like the new lighting, torches, bonfires, less DOF, effects etc. is worse than in the original game. They should've enabled higher resolution on consoles, stable 60fps and charged 20 bucks. Would've still been a rip-off, but at least the atmosphere would've been intact.

Alkarl

Learned

Fucking word nazis everywhere.

They should've done a remake then. Better?

I agree, they really should make a remake. Change some shit up, add some new stuff. After 1k+ hours, this game totally turns into a dark fantasy walking sim, no matter what resolution the graphics are. Parry, Riposte, walk a few yards, rinse and repeat until boss. Include the option to start from NG+X right from the get-go. And some other good ideas. Maybe an optional alternative boss to Bed of Chaos that is actually fun to fight without removing that boss completely.

Kitchen Utensil

Fucking word nazis everywhere.

They should've done a remake then. Better?

Maybe they should have. I don't think DS needs a remake or that it would've lived up to the original though.

And it was pretty obvious from the first announcement that this would be a cash grab (and not an expensive remake). Too bad that they felt the need to change so much for the worse and charge 40 bucks for it. PC should've received a long overdue patch to fix that messed up port, and the remaster should be for consoles, enabling 4k (or whatever resolution) and stable 60fps. But I'm calling it now: Blighttown will still be a shitshow performance-wise.

Oh, wait, already did that in January.

My bet is on lazy remaster that probably won't even fix Blighttown.

Alkarl

Learned
I don't think there is anything so sacred about Dark Souls that it can't be remade. I mean, they kinda already remade it twice in the sequels, messing with various core mechanics to varying degrees. But Dark Souls itself is technically a remake of Demon's Souls.

Just give us more and different stuff but in the Dark Souls 1 engine, with the Dark Souls 1 world building aesthetic & philosophy.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Looks like this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but as a PC gamer, I like that this remaster is being made if only for the ability to play at 60 FPS without glitches.

There's ONE ladder where a glitch occurs, you'll hardly ever use it and it can be prevented by the simple press of the backspace key. To avoid that unbearable hassle the remaster will split the community and bury any hopes for a proper remake for the next decade.

There is one other major issue, which is that your jump distance is cut by around 30% when playing at 60 FPS. I didn't realize this the first time I played the game, so I thought the jumps were just supposed to be insanely hardcore in this game. I actually made all of them (including getting the Iaito in Blighttown), but they were way harder than they were meant to be. Even getting to the bird to visit Undead Aslyum is quite tricky.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

There is one other major issue, which is that your jump distance is cut by around 30% when playing at 60 FPS. I didn't realize this the first time I played the game, so I thought the jumps were just supposed to be insanely hardcore in this game. I actually made all of them (including getting the Iaito in Blighttown), but they were way harder than they were meant to be. Even getting to the bird to visit Undead Aslyum is quite tricky.

True, the jumps are shorter, but that an issue at like one, two places (the Undead Asylum jump isn't a problem at all, it's just you can't simply roll at 60 FPS, you have to actually jump). And again, you can easily switch between 30 and 60 FPS by pressing backspace.

Arnust

Savant
hDoHWhW.png

:hmmm:

RoSoDude

Arcane

True, the jumps are shorter, but that an issue at like one, two places (the Undead Asylum jump isn't a problem at all, it's just you can't simply roll at 60 FPS, you have to actually jump). And again, you can easily switch between 30 and 60 FPS by pressing backspace.

Sure, I agree it's not a major problem. But I think a lot of people are like I was and don't even know that the bugged jump distance exists, and that's certainly a problem for 60FPS DSFix.

I'm definitely not trying to shill for the remaster, there's no way I'm getting it. It's frankly insulting to me that the abysmal excuse for mouse + keyboard controls appears to be unchanged in the PC version. Plus I don't even really think the visuals are an improvement. This looks more like a fan mod that adds some new effects, some of which are questionable and change the art style. For instance, the bonfires now look like ordinary fires, losing their slowly undulating tongues of flame wrapping around the sword in favor of more generic fire effects. I always figured they were supposed to be visually distinct from ordinary fire -- after all, they already had more traditional fire effects elsewhere, it's not like this was a technical limitation. Moreover, there are some worldbuilding reasons you might expect the "fire" of bonfires to be a different sort of substance from ordinary fire, since it's kindled by humanity. But nope, no more iconic bonfires for you, enjoy your flavorless cash grab amateur update. I wouldn't bitch so much about it, but little things like this are really the only visual changes outside of lighting (which I think makes the game looked more washed out and lifeless), and only minor quality of life gameplay changes besides.

Bonfire at 2:01

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm never playing this again. 2000-something hours between the PC and PS3 versions was enough. There's nothing really new to try at this point. Nice for people who haven't played it and crazies who for some reason never stop.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
DSfix doesn't make all walls appear wet, plus it fixes mouse controls. This remooster is not on DSfix's level.

Arnust

Savant
DSfix doesn't make all walls appear wet, plus it fixes mouse controls. This remooster is not on DSfix's level.
Use the Mouse Fix mod, ignoring something that already happens in the base game often and you've saved yourself 40 bucks buddy

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You could get a controller for 20$ bucks and enjoy other games like racing games or brawlers as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom