Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Mozg

Arcane
IIRC elemental damage in DS1 is calculated just like physical, meaning it's a DT-like system. If you have huge magic damage it penetrates whatever his DT is. If you triple the power behind an attack that normally just scratches him (like using a 50 int character with that crystal catalyst) you might do 10 times the damage after armor. I think even like the moonlight greatsword does decently against him because it's pure magic, enough to get a decent amount past his DT. It's just split damage weapons that really see a big drop in effectiveness against the DLC bosses.

In DS2 elemental damage is a percentage reduction and enemies that are nearly immune to X only take three times a small amount of damage if you triple the attack power.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah but some enemies have unnaturally high defenses, like Ornstein has about 1700 lightning defense in NG. Thought Artorias was similar.

In DS1 damage vs defenses is a weirdass calculation. I saw a thread on reddit that explored it once but only explained it for spells since it's the simplest model (only modified by spell coefficient and catalyst+int).

Here -> https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/3rb9kl/damage_calculations/

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Is it possible to kill the sanctuary guardian without uber twitch skills? He has killed me many, many times by now, and I don't seem to be able to make even a dent.

I'm level 102, 44 int and most everything else around level 20, except faith (8 ?), vitality (27) and endurance (34). My favorite weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword, and I try to kill stuff at a distance, with sorceries. I have all of them, I think. And all pyromancies, with a +5 ascended glove.

Most bosses in the endgame were surprisingly easy, but this one is very bad-ass.
Sanctuary Guardian is maybe the single boss fight in which blocking makes it a LOT easier. Use the Eagle shield, it''s only 95% physical but it will also block his lightning damage. With 34 endurance you'll be fine. You can even not roll at all, except to dodge the easy lightning spells. Just remember to have your shield DOWN when he's not attacking so that your stamina regerates. And hit him just once every once in a while. (I just beat him that way with 0 poise at level 80, miracle build, all my projectile miracles always missed.)

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The only way to play DS:

qhdfIfT.jpg

UErZFTC.jpg

I made Manus my bitch.

Sanctuary Guardian is maybe the single boss fight in which blocking makes it a LOT easier. Use the Eagle shield, it''s only 95% physical but it will also block his lightning damage. With 34 endurance you'll be fine. You can even not roll at all, except to dodge the easy lightning spells. Just remember to have your shield DOWN when he's not attacking so that your stamina regerates. And hit him just once every once in a while. (I just beat him that way with 0 poise at level 80, miracle build, all my projectile miracles always missed.)

Thanks, both! Black Iron chest piece, Havel's arm & leg pieces and blocking with the Eagle sword made it very easy!

I just stood my ground, dodging only the lightning attacks, and hit him with three crystal soul spears. I only needed two estus to do it. I made it on the first try.

:)

Gentle Player

Arcane
Is it possible to kill the sanctuary guardian without uber twitch skills? He has killed me many, many times by now, and I don't seem to be able to make even a dent.

I'm level 102, 44 int and most everything else around level 20, except faith (8 ?), vitality (27) and endurance (34). My favorite weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword, and I try to kill stuff at a distance, with sorceries. I have all of them, I think. And all pyromancies, with a +5 ascended glove.

Most bosses in the endgame were surprisingly easy, but this one is very bad-ass.

Are you using the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk, and Tin Crystallization Catalyst? If so, you should be able to obliterate him with two Crystal Soul Spears and a regular Soul Spear cast with your build.

SymbolicFrank

Magister

Are you using the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk, and Tin Crystallization Catalyst? If so, you should be able to obliterate him with two Crystal Soul Spears and a regular Soul Spear cast with your build.
I use the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk and Big Hat Logan's catalyst. It's a bit less effective, but I get twice the amount of spells.

For the rest, I am using the Black Iron armor and Havel's ring. I like the look of the Brass armor better, but it is much less effective.

I think this game is designed for you to find the trick (or cheese, if you like) to kill the bosses the easy way. Some of them even have separate animations for those cheesy bits, so it is definitely "as intended". That's also the case with the shortcuts and the seamless world: go wherever you want and do whatever you want. That's what I like most about it.

The only boss that seems to be uncheesable is Ornstein and Smough, which might be as intended as well (you get the Lord Vessel, can warp and the second half opens up).

Gentle Player

Arcane
I use the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk and Big Hat Logan's catalyst. It's a bit less effective, but I get twice the amount of spells.
I felt the same way as you on my first Sorcerer play through; I preferred the greater number of casts allowed by Logan's catalyst. However, I since learnt that the extra power of the Tin catalyst is more than worthwhile. You needn't waste your spells on regular enemies, especially not when you have the Moonlight Sword. Better to have fewer spells but cast at higher power in order to deal with tougher enemies and bosses.

Elwro

Arcane
I'm having trouble with Artorias for the first time. My char is a squishy Str+Fai miracle user with a fantastic mace. But the mace has so short range I cannot get a hit in. And miracles do shit to Artorias. (Soloing of course.)

While getting gud and learning the patterns I decided to improve the Great Club to +14. Boy, does it make a difference ;)

I discovered that the Xanthous set can be improved (never tried it) and actually has very decent stats for a light armor.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm having trouble with Artorias for the first time. My char is a squishy Str+Fai miracle user with a fantastic mace. But the mace has so short range I cannot get a hit in. And miracles do shit to Artorias. (Soloing of course.)

While getting gud and learning the patterns I decided to improve the Great Club to +14. Boy, does it make a difference ;)

I discovered that the Xanthous set can be improved (never tried it) and actually has very decent stats for a light armor.

One thing I like about DS1 bosses (and Artorias of course) is that they don't have so much HP, they are short, intense fights and duels.

They introduced later HP bloat in a lot of Bloodborne and DS3 bosses, and while some of them are great fights, they are more tedious, especially in Bloodborne where you don't have automatic replenishable healing items on death.

BTW, what's that shit about minmaxing with ugly items in souls? Fashions souls or bust.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One thing I like about DS1 bosses (and Artorias of course) is that they don't have so much HP, they are short, intense fights and duels.

This. That's always been a crucial part of DS charm - all fights are fierce, brutal and short. Either you die in a few hits or the mobs do.

As for bosses - those could do with some small HP bloat tbh. The Butterfly, Asylum Demon, Pinwheel, Sif and a few others maybe. Bosses should not be a joke, not even the starting ones. Artorias and Manus are much more beefy than most vanilla bosses and those fights are great.

But yeah, DS3 overcompensated, as with everything.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Manus has some more HP, Ornstein has high damage resistances, but not as much as Bloodborne or DS3 ones. Just the right amount of tankyness.

Silva

Arcane
Gaping Dragon was super spongy too. But I agree DS1 bosses were in the fast and intense side indeed, and I love it for it.

Overall though, I find base games tend to have bosses with smaller life while the DLCs kicks it up, perhaps to work like a challenge or something.

PS: Bloodborne holds a weird spot because it seems the one where boss weakness plays the biggest factor, so say, Vicar Amelia with a flaming serrated weapon is like butter but without it take long as fuck.

Grimlorn

Arcane
He thinks all 3 games should be combined into 1 so he can play through all 3 with one character is an awesome idea? He's an idiot. And this is the guy Namco Bandai asked what should be fixed for a DS1 remaster?

sullynathan

Arcane
He thinks all 3 games should be combined into 1 so he can play through all 3 with one character is an awesome idea? He's an idiot. And this is the guy Namco Bandai asked what should be fixed for a DS1 remaster?
I don't think this is a bad idea, just make a gamepack that allows the player to quickly switch between all five soulsborne games.

In before they "remaster" DS1 with Blood Souls III mechanics.
on the other hand They should remaster Demons Souls with Dark Souls 3 mechanics.

Elwro

Arcane
I have to farm Souvenirs to get the Miracles achievement. Then just hop to NG++ and I'll be done too, I hope ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom