Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I know what you mean, some players have this weird trick for backstabbing there
the trick is to stand as close to your enemy and keep baiting them till you move to their back and backstab. You should lock on too.

I don't think he was locked on because he was balleting around not actually facing me. I guess that's the trick.

So he was prolly some MLG uber dude, fair enough, but still - not exactly a super exciting way to duel. Btw I've been hating on the backstab feature in Souls games since I lay my hands on them. That's one thing Nioh does better - getting rid of the stupid thing.

Emmanuel2

Savant

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
But meh, I'll just add another to my ignore list.
Pussy.
Poor guy blew his strawman away and all he had to come back was use my phrase and ignore me like they have been ignoring him his whole life
Ah well welcome to the Codex noob
Git Gud

There is no ignore feature, sadly.

Check back who is strawmanning, retard.
Haha you dont even know how to use the forum Sheldon
God bless America
:terrorist:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I know what you mean, some players have this weird trick for backstabbing there
the trick is to stand as close to your enemy and keep baiting them till you move to their back and backstab. You should lock on too.

I don't think he was locked on because he was balleting around not actually facing me. I guess that's the trick.

So he was prolly some MLG uber dude, fair enough, but still - not exactly a super exciting way to duel. Btw I've been hating on the backstab feature in Souls games since I lay my hands on them. That's one thing Nioh does better - getting rid of the stupid thing.
Yup
That is exactly it, somehow they dont need to be even facing you to backstabb or even locked, they could have just backflipped while you tried to hit them and then they somehow teleported to the backstab animation
I guess that is one of the few things I prefer from DS2, PVP was more balanced without the backstabbs

Emmanuel2

Savant
I meant for forum threads since they still show on alert, check your ignore list if you want but fuck me if you aren't already retarded.

God bless America indeed, I'm not even an american to begin with.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I meant for forum threads since they still show on alert, check your ignore list if you want but fuck me if you aren't already retarded.

God bless America indeed, I'm not even an american to begin with.
Since I am so important to you you can ignorme me directly sweetheart, didn't know you cared so much as to be so offended
Oh and btw have you tried Nioh? Your strawman ideas might fit the bill there since that is very much a game determined by equipment, it is a fun game but everybody pretty much agrees it is very different from Souls because they are not based on skills but rather on itemization

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
These aren't bad games but I don't think they are rpgs.

that's because u lack

giphy.gif

also you're bitching about shit that has been rebuked several times or is in some way applicable to every single game with stats/equipment/grind in existence

yup, you're done

boot

Prophet
No one has proven me wrong. They just rate post shit.

:smug:

And your "argument" is bad.

:smug:

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
git gud kid

^probably retarded, the other guy too

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
What I'm curious about is why so many Codexers who've obviously never been to an arcade in their whole life keep referring to DS as an "arcade game". Seriously, why? Souls games don't follow arcade design sensibilities at all. It's like looking at console peasants discuss turn-based combat, they don't even know what they don't know...

boot

Prophet
get a load of this guy

Here is a hint my man. The term is not used literally, it refers to the trial and error gameplay, losing all souls on death, etc.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
get a load of this guy

Here is a hint my man. The term is not used literally, it refers to the trial and error gameplay, losing all souls on death, etc.
Yep, like I said, you're like a console peasant trying to discuss TB combat - you have something you want to say, but simply lack the vocabulary to express it clearly.

The funny thing is that being punished hard for failure is actually more of a feature of early console games (like the classic Castlevanias) rather than arcade ones, for very good reasons. But then, you probably haven't ever played an arcade game, so you wouldn't know.

boot

Prophet
continue... share your secret knowledge of arcade games with us. No vague statements.

Don't keep me waiting. Life of a peasant is short, so hurry up or admit you're talking out your ass. Dark Souls is as close to an arcade game as an arpg can get, rebutt me.

and the term was used loosely in the first place but hey. Gotta wave your dick around or you'll feel left out. I understand, no problem- but stop talking down to me. So far you gave a lazy attack on my use of the term arcade, and called me a stupid peasant who cannot properly articulate himself. The only thing I'm getting out of this exchange is that you're a prick.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Just what is it with these retards? Nobody but them understands their retarded theories and then they act like we are somehow crazy...for fucks sake
Get your stupid facts right bootuptheass; Dark Souls is an ARPG as in action role playing game not an arcade game like Hang On or Afterburner stop making an ass out of yourself with stupid theories.
This is the Codex so we let you speak your mind and nobody is going to ban you or anything but just stop turning all conversation into your retarded histrionics; go eat a bowl of dicks with Emmanuel or whatever or come up with beter comebacks noob

boot

Prophet
I tried to exit with as much grace as I could before, and would like to stop responding to this thread, but you and others keep calling me names on my way out. I'm really just having fun with this.

My original point was that Dark Souls forced you to build a character completely around gear, that equips were the only real build choice, and I still think that is true. On character creation all I'm trying to figure out is what equips I will build toward- a real damper for me, kills all sense of growth. This is not some esoteric theory, it's an observation!

I called it a cheap arcade game because that's how I best enjoy it. Throw it on, play 'till something kills me, then shut it off. I didn't expect to be called out on on the definition of an arcade game (wow! Still surprised, cowboy ur a faggot bro) which Dark Souls obviously is not. It was a useful descriptor.

I go now!

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
See boot, you can improve if you try. "I enjoy playing DS as if it were an arcade game" actually makes a modicum of sense, as one of the defining characteristics of arcade games is that they're easy to pick up and play in short bursts.

Also, believe it or not, my initial comment wasn't just a cheap shot at you, I've had a similar argument with other people on this forum (where I also used much stronger language, I don't think you appreciate just how nice I'm being here right now), and what they had in common with you is that they tried to use "arcade" as a synonym of "console action game with checkpoints", which upsets me for the same reason it upsets people when dumbfucks label RTwP combat as TB. It's an aggravating kind of ignorance that the Codex exists to fight.

For the record, I actually agree with you that DS is as much of an RPG as say, Symphony of the Night - that is, more of an action game with a good amount of RPG-ish sensibilities and systems. I just don't bother talking about since, well, debating "What is an RPG?" has never ended well for anyone on this forum.

Finally, calling me a faggot is kind of gross and homophobic, especially in 2017. I expect an apology.

boot

Prophet
I think you are pussys. Rate my post retarded if you want, sling some shit woohoo!-but why exactly am I wrong? What's the problem? If you can't wrap your head around this very simple observation I made, who is really the retard? I think I'm presenting my thoughts more clearly than the majority of members here!

read dev logs before posting that, must have rubbed off. "I go now!" What was I thinking!? Too friendly. Believe it or not, a real problem for me.

Parting shots above the belt please. Cowboy, your tone is disgusting. I wouldn't wait for an apology if I were you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom