Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's not what you have that matters, it's how you use it, eh?

juggernaut

Educated
Is it too late to vote for option E?

Think about it, how can our cyborg soldiers use the biggest guns unless they have four arms and the strength of five gorillas?

madbringer

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
Re: FTL travel: It is a bit of an either/or proposition. Codexian and Raumeni vessels are more or less built around their drives. Everything from power systems, to sensors, to ship design... it all depends on these drives. A vessel that had both would need to be a) huge, b) expensive as can be, c) underpowered. It would have neither the strategic range of wyrmhole-only vessels, nor the mobility of FTL-only vessels.

I figured as much. But i was thinking more along the lines of using FTL drives on small combat craft - fighters, bombers, corvettes - that would be deployed from larger vessels after they Wyrmhole'd their way to the battleground. That way we would retain high mobility in and out of battle, not having to count on the surprise factor being in our favour during a conflict.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
treave said:
It's not what you have that matters, it's how you use it, eh?
Amen to that, admiral.

madbringer said:
The Barbarian said:
Re: FTL travel: It is a bit of an either/or proposition. Codexian and Raumeni vessels are more or less built around their drives. Everything from power systems, to sensors, to ship design... it all depends on these drives. A vessel that had both would need to be a) huge, b) expensive as can be, c) underpowered. It would have neither the strategic range of wyrmhole-only vessels, nor the mobility of FTL-only vessels.

I figured as much. But i was thinking more along the lines of using FTL drives on small combat craft - fighters, bombers, corvettes - that would be deployed from larger vessels after they Wyrmhole'd their way to the battleground. That way we would retain high mobility in and out of battle, not having to count on the surprise factor being in our favour during a conflict.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Huge strategic carriers using Wyrmholes with fighters using FTL.
The best of both worlds.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
madbringer:

The smallest FTL drive fits on a frigate - ditto for wyrmhole generators. Wyrmhole and FTL fields generated by the larger craft can encapsulate smaller craft - but those craft cannot use them independently. At least... not yet! Remember, these are very, very expensive pieces of high end technology. A very serious investment in a fairly disposable machine, such as a fightercraft.

Codexia the Brave

Time passed, as time is often wont to. The years, for their part, rolled on with a steady rhythm, a cadence that marked the continuing entropy afflicting the universe, and Codexia continued to grow and prosper. The population pressures on the Codexian homeworld slowly eased, as millions migrated to the Colonial Expanse, settling a dozen worlds and setting up outposts of Codexianity on a score more. The frontiers of the rising young state steadily expanded in a predetermined direction. Lightyear by lightyear, humanity inched toward the Phyr territories. The oldest of the human colony worlds was, by this point, a burgeoning, metropolitan project in its own right – and quickly developing a planetary identity. Other colonies were well on the way. Of course, it bears mentioning that there were also the Undocumented Settlements: pockets of humanity on nearly uninhabitable or very distant worlds, of which Codexia was largely unaware.

These settlements tended to be peopled by outcasts. They were men and women who either felt suffocated by the heavy Codexian tax burden, or stifled by government regulation. After the bio/gen-mod Ban of 187AU, tens of thousands of the most ‘customized’ persons also fled to these hidden ‘havens’. However, in reality, life in the Undocumented Settlements was harsh – often brutal. Terraformation technology was hideously expensive, and the only recourses left to the rogue colonists were unreliable habitation-tech solutions. A form of resentment flowered. During this stable, yet animated period (182-195AU), Codexian power, as a whole, grew significantly. The fleet was heavily restructured to accommodate hundreds of new vessels (the armada was estimated to number over two thousand ships of all types) and a ground arm was finally constituted (the Drop Troops were considered Naval rather than Army forces). Though Raumen monopolies on high-end products continued to dominate that marketplace, cheap Codexian goods also made their mark.

The two economies began to synthesize, in effect. But distrust at the highest levels continue, due in part to continuing Raumeni reluctance to share more detailed information about the galactic neighbourhood, which they themselves were known to be furiously exploring. Codexian INTOPS were convinced that, in actual fact, the Raumeni knew little about the Amoneth and avoided the Turanei, but the Phyr had become a Codexian matter of interest, and so little information had been released about them. It was, simply put, very frustrating. Nonetheless, a few details did emerge through various means. The ursine creatures controlled a significant belt of territory between the Raumen clans and the Turanei. Serious suspicions arose that they were at war with the latter – and the status of that conflict was unknown. Interrogation of Raumeni far-traders revealed little. No other option remained but to pursue the matter directly.

When contact was finally made in 196AU, it happened in a most surprising fashion. A lonely, recently constructed outpost in the farthest reaches of Codexian space received an uninvited guest. A small unidentified craft entered sensor range, scanned the outpost and its small complement of support vessels and began withdrawing. Silhouette recognition software identified it as a Phyr-probable, based on Raumen data. Two patrol ships were on hand to intercept its egress.

Do you... instruct your erstwhile vessels to intercept and pursue the Phyrrie vessel?

OR

Do you... allow it to withdraw without interference?

juggernaut

Educated
Option A - if he's neutral or friendly, we can say hi and give him some beads to take home and show how awesome we are. If he's hostile, then we get to see exactly what they can do.

madbringer

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
madbringer:

The smallest FTL drive fits on a frigate - ditto for wyrmhole generators. Wyrmhole and FTL fields generated by the larger craft can encapsulate smaller craft - but those craft cannot use them independently. At least... not yet! Remember, these are very, very expensive pieces of high end technology. A very serious investment in a fairly disposable machine, such as a fightercraft.

Ah, pardon. I was under the erroneous impression that the drives could actually fit on small craft. Apparently we're many years apart from sufficient miniaturization techniques... oh well! Brave Codexian scientists will surely crack this nut, sooner or later.

But, onwards to the dilemma at hand.

I'm somewhat on the fence on this one. Bearing in mind the inept handling of the other first contact, pursuing the scout might be perceived as an act of aggression. Then again, "aggression" might already be on it's way, and the patrolmen on duty might save many lives if they pursue and discover an imminent threat.

I'm leaning more towards pursuing, though, with the patrol ships instructed not to provoke or engage the scout, all the while making use of our awesome sensors to gather as much data on the alien vessel as possible. And so, A!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
We must not, whatever we do, start a new contact war.
Once again I am in doubt.
To pursue could be a fatal error, once again it could be just as bad if we don't pursue it.

We should proceed with caution.
Keep in mind that this race is probably very aggressive.
We could bee seen as a threat if we intercept.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I do not fear an attack from the Phyrries. Remember, they are ambitious and curious furry folk. It is very likely they are scouting us out not for an attack, but just to find out more about this new power approaching their regions of influence.

It is time to make first contact. Have our patrol ships approach, hailing with all frequencies our intent of peace. As they have had contact with the Raumen, it is likely that we will be able to establish communications by using the same methods we employ with those bugs. This will not be like the first war, as we now have experience in dealing with aliens.

Even in the event of a conflict, we will have had communications of some sort which means we can negotiate a ceasefire more easily, and it will be a good test of our newly restructured military.

Finally, we should demonstrate our dominance at the first possible chance to what may hopefully be our new underlings. They are bears. Furry bears with six limbs. There is a probability that we may need to establish alpha male status with them or they may begin to disrespect us, thinking us cowardly for not responding to any trespasses on our territory. First impressions are important.

A. Instruct our erstwhile vessels to intercept and pursue the Phyrrie vessel.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Very well, but I still have my doubts.
A.
I realized that if tihs doesn't work out we can always ally with their opponents.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Eh, you're free to pick whatever you want dude, you're a war hero and no one can fault you for your choices. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
As I said, I realized that the Phyr isn't our 'last hope'.
Their opponent could prove to be an even more powerful ally.

No matter what consequence this gets it will be beneficial.

Codexia will be the greatest empire that the galaxy ever have seen.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Slaves are better than trade.
Should they prove to be hostile we will defeat them in battle.
They would make excellent workers.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The Turanei would serve wonderfully for that purpose.
After their enemies defeat they would surely be more friendly towards us than the Raumen.

A monopol and slave trade would be good for us.
That is if this escalates to a war.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I have full faith that our noble Senate, upon being given explicit orders to approach as friendlies, will not in turn direct our fighters to blow up the furries in their typically horrible Chinese Whispers fashion.

And I have full faith that our brave men and women of the fleet, being given the correct orders to approach as friendlies, will not go all gung-ho and blow shit up just because they're bored at a remote outpost with nothing to do.

Again I must reiterate that first impressions are important. We do not want to appear weak to BEAR PEOPLE. Did you know bears prefer to eat weaklings?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
That's the reason why we should show it.
If they know how powerful we are they won't try to start a war.

They must know who's in charge.
We are, councilor, and we must let them know it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sure, we may act aloof and then whip their furry butts if they decide to get out of line later, but why waste valuable time? The Codexian nation is a proactive nation. Our forefathers didn't come all the way into space by being aloof. They worked together and united a squabbling planet through words.

In the Codexia-Raumen War, we again took an active role. A Codexian was the one who bravely precipitated the entire chain of events by smartly utilizing his explosive-tipped survey drones in a stroke of entrepreneurial genius.

And in ending it, it was again we who were proactive by offering the branch of peace. We were the ones who figured out how to communicate with the Raumen, not the other way around.

Codexians do, councillor. That is our nature.

The Barbarian

Liturgist

Four votes for Option A - Pursue.

One vote for Option B - Stay Away.

The Rule of Five is satisfied, but the Barbarian will keep the voting booths open for a few more hours.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nya! No

B

I'd like to concentrate a full ermergency response squadron near that region. If they return in friendship, those furries will see that we sleep with eyes opened. Such fact will deter future adventure on their part. If they return in force, We will swat them out of space, furiously follow them back to their homeworld, demand reparations and treaty.

It's important to present the best face possible in 1st contact. Ladies and Gentlemen, when the furries return, we will have prepared our 1st contact stage carefully.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Seeing as we've already limited ourselves greatly by our previous decision to ban genetic and biological modifications, what is another first contact war?
Again, since this would be a government endavour, and not some slightly spooked trader, I say we follow and take a closer look.

A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom