Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think Roguelike just means a game that would never fly as an RPG and has a budget of less than $10.

Ranarama

Learned
Hack-n-Slash always seems more accurate. Or Dungeon crawl. Having permanent unlocks seems counter to being 'like' Rogue.

However, I'd agree with anything that allows for quick runs through with collecting power ups. That would be like Rogue. But then that would include Shmups. So I dunno.

It's a buzzword though, and that's valuable, so don't complain too much. Like any buzzword it gives you valuable information about how big a bunch of hacks the developers are.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALLRIGHT BROS 7 RUNES

COULD HAVE DONE MORE BUT ILL PLAN BETTER NEXT TIME

TROG TO TSO TO ZIN

THE FIVR EASIEST BRANCHES PLUS DIS AND ICE HELL TELEPORTED AROUND DISPATER BUT FUCKED UP THE ICE GUT

NEXT TIME ILL SWITCH AFTER VAULTS AND TRAIN SPELLS AND INCOCATIONS EARLIER

HAD A PLUS EUGHT VAMPIRIC DEMON WHIP FUCK SHIT FINISHED WITH A PLUSN FOUR SACRED SCOURGE COULD PLAN THAT BETTER NEXT TIME TO

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Don't Starve is one of those indie darling "roguelikes" (I prefer roguelites) that came into the limelight during the "roguelike renaissance" along with FTL, Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Neo Scavenger and the more recent Enter the Gungeon. I'm sure that anyone who is interested in playing what the indies are up to has already heard of the game. Don't Starve is a great game and it definitely deserves it's glowing reviews, and am glad that one more person is enjoying it.

The reason why it's never mentioned here, through my skimming of the thread, is because that it's not really a roguelike and, having played it personally, can attest to that.

Don't Starve is literally driving me mad. Last night there was a little scrapping noise and I jumped out of bed thinking there was those shitty spiders around me.

I have died thousands of different ways, I am just not very good at it I suppose.

Died of hunger, died by penguins. Died because my sanity dropped and imaginary creatures killed me.

Died of freezing. Died from not having no light when it went dark. Died by accident when I set fire to the forest and burned myself alive.

Died because I tried my hand at killing a Buffalo. Died because I stopped picking flowers. Died by thinking I could trap and kite about 20 spiders - including the yellow ones. I kited them but ran into the darkness - so died again.

I have made it through winter once - and died by trying to talk to the walrus guy. McScott McVee.

I think the game has obsessed me.

It reminds me of two things.

Donkey Kong. You had to reach the top and jump over thousands of barrels. Don't Starve throws thousands of barrels at you and every time you die - start again - unless you have found some sites or created duplicates of yourself - fleshy golem type things.

It also reminds me of the time, very young, where an older person like family or teacher asked you to solve a puzzle. It was difficult but you were sort of innocent and naive not realising the whole thing was stacked and you would never solve the puzzle - but you enjoyed the experience trying to understand concepts beyond your grasp.

Oh - and I died from frog and also some clock work looking chess pieces electrocuted me from afar.

I think a few more goes and then I need to move on to something more healthy - Skyrim or something.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I think a few more goes and then I need to move on to something more healthy - Skyrim or something.

So you are willing to cure your crack addiction with cheap alcohol substitute?

Yes. One lets me pick flowers and chop wood in peace. And if I die I can reload and then kill a mighty dragon in relative easiness. The other kills me if I go out in the dark. Pffft. I ain't no kid. Not scared of the dark.

Wait, hold on, I FORGOT TO CREATE A SECOND TORCH!

Unwanted

DrDigej

Unwanted
Downloaded Dont Starve today, played a few hours. It turned out to be a tediousness simulator.
1st run - day0, light went out, ded.
2nd run - day1, forgot to fuel the fire just before sundown, ded.
3rd run - 17 days, frog killed me, had to fight them, cause steady food supply was 0, didnt know that the flower headband recovers sanity either
4th run - 23 days, food supply out of like 20 uprooted berries garden, turns out they dont produce in winter... had to fight penguins, after the first one went down i assumed that they dont fight back and got got...

I wish one could pause the game to look at the items one can create instead of letting time pass.

Plan for 5th run, to survive winter:
warm cloth
warm stone
storage for food (honey seems not to spoil for a long while)

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Downloaded Dont Starve today, played a few hours. It turned out to be a tediousness simulator.
1st run - day0, light went out, ded.
2nd run - day1, forgot to fuel the fire just before sundown, ded.
3rd run - 17 days, frog killed me, had to fight them, cause steady food supply was 0, didnt know that the flower headband recovers sanity either
4th run - 23 days, food supply out of like 20 uprooted berries garden, turns out they dont produce in winter... had to fight penguins, after the first one went down i assumed that they dont fight back and got got...

I wish one could pause the game to look at the items one can create instead of letting time pass.

Plan for 5th run, to survive winter:
warm cloth
warm stone
storage for food (honey seems not to spoil for a long while)

Reads exactly like my experience. Even down to the penguins.

FOOD - the best way I found to maintain hunger is to kill spiders AND trap birds/ rabbits. (Use traps to kill the spiders too).

With eggs these can combine to make Bacon and Eggs which give a good healthy 75 points to your hunger meter.

To do this though you will need a Crockpot to cook and a Birdcage to create eggs.

I used to have farms but discovered that they are pretty useless during winter. You need meat.

Yeah - the game designers don't tell you anything. Maybe that is part of the charm or why some people can't handle it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is a tediousness simulator, total garbage. My first day was the same, starved. Second day, I got some food, ran out of light and died. Third day I got food, and got a torch, dusk came and I thought I would see when is the latest I can turn the torch on so I don't waste it.... Darkness came suddenly and I died instantly. BS. 4th day I had a bunch of torches, I had a camp fire, I had an inventory full of food, I trapped a rabbit. Started to starve so ate a 90 course banquet of food just to fill up, day game and I had to repeat all that bullshit again. Uninstalled.

Games like that are for genuine retards imo with some kind of aspergers. I got another game called The Forest which was much better! The first time I saw a survival game that wasn't total garbage. But it is really unfinished so I only played it for a few hours and then uninstalled. It could be a long time until there is a full game, or it may never happen. But at least you can explore and build your own settlement, defend against crazed feral people and try to interfere in their camps etc. It is promising, but with Early Access I feel like people buy the pre-alpha and the devs then have no motive to finish the game.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
It is a tediousness simulator, total garbage. My first day was the same, starved. Second day, I got some food, ran out of light and died. Third day I got food, and got a torch, dusk came and I thought I would see when is the latest I can turn the torch on so I don't waste it.... Darkness came suddenly and I died instantly. BS. 4th day I had a bunch of torches, I had a camp fire, I had an inventory full of food, I trapped a rabbit. Started to starve so ate a 90 course banquet of food just to fill up, day game and I had to repeat all that bullshit again. Uninstalled.

Games like that are for genuine retards imo with some kind of aspergers. I got another game called The Forest which was much better! The first time I saw a survival game that wasn't total garbage. But it is really unfinished so I only played it for a few hours and then uninstalled. It could be a long time until there is a full game, or it may never happen. But at least you can explore and build your own settlement, defend against crazed feral people and try to interfere in their camps etc. It is promising, but with Early Access I feel like people buy the pre-alpha and the devs then have no motive to finish the game.

The problem as I understand it with food is that it becomes a big consumer of time until you get a crockpot.

With that device a rabbit turns from replenishing 12.5 hunger to 65, if you add three berries.

For example if I spend a day farming spiders and on the way set some rabbit traps - I could probably accumulate enough Bacon and Eggs via the crockpot not to worry about food for 3-4 days.

I have The Forest shortlisted for a while but sort of tired of First Person not quite a shooter games at the moment. It's well received on Steam though so keeping an eye on it.

The problem as I understand it with food is that it becomes a big consumer of time until you get a crockpot.

With that device a rabbit turns from replenishing 12.5 hunger to 65, if you add three berries.

For example if I spend a day farming spiders and on the way set some rabbit traps - I could probably accumulate enough Bacon and Eggs via the crockpot not to worry about food for 3-4 days.

I have The Forest shortlisted for a while but sort of tired of First Person not quite a shooter games at the moment. It's well received on Steam though so keeping an eye on it.

I looked The Forest as well, but decided on The Long Dark instead. Its first person survival, but not a shooter. Just plain survival, but more of a walking sim I suppose. Its pretty brutal at times.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't know these games very well because they mostly seem like zero budget junk to me, so I've only tried about 4 or 5 (out of 9 million). But The Forest is pretty damn close to a good game. You can build a little settlement with a camp fire in the middle, a log cabin to sleep in, a trap to catch rabbits and then you can breed rabbits in a little pen which gives regular food, and you can have storage containers etc. And then you get a pretty world to explore and you can whack birds and collect their feathers to make arrows for a bow and arrow, and you can swing an axe or stick or whatever as a weapon as well. And it feels quite realistic, you can swing it at enemies and it really thumps them when it lands, but you have to get really close to land it so it is dangerous, and they can easily rip you up. They also attack in wild packs of like 3 crazed dudes with axes, 1 guy at the back shooting arrows at you, and then some weird guy in armor who just watches, I never figured out what his deal is.

And there are settlements all over the island where these guys live, like cannibals, with skinned people on pikes and stuff, and you can easily end up one of those dead bodies. But as you build up you can start making little excursions into these camps during the day when the cannibals are out hunting, and you can steal any useful stuff that is lying around. I really liked it up to that point.

The problem is that beyond that there isn't much else. The settlement building has a bunch of prefab buildings you place a ghost of, and then feed it materials and it builds itself. You can also manually build stuff but that seemed a bit gimpy. What I need from a game like this though, is to have armies of enemies that attack with basic weapons at first, but then after week they come back with torches to set fire to all your buildings, and by that point you need to have defences in place to fight back and a moat to screw them up as they try to swim across. And then the next week they come back with catapults to attack you from afar, but you build a fort that has big towers on with archers in them or something. That's what I want. I thought Minecraft would turn into a game like that but it never did because all the little kids were happy just building shit for no reason. Now I need to hope one of these survival games will go in that direction too, they probably wont but I can dream.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Emmanuel2 so I decide to play Elona+ anew (because don't know when I'll fix my dt), so what can you say about Elona Custom? Worth it or not?

Also forget it, already using Custom.

My next question - what is the most potent end-game weapon besides Martial Art?
Melee or ranged?
Looks like Melee better, but Ranged had ammo which add to damage and crit calculations.

It is pain in the ass to dig again what was dug long ago, because I already forgot it lol.
So please help. )

Edit again: also, if melee most potent, which one? With ranged its all clear but melee isn't. For now it looks like spears or something that can do Absolute Pierce attack or long swords.

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Read commits on github or where they are...

There is much shit going on and none of it ruins basic concept of the game imho. If i could - i would fixed item drops (more) and cuted down trash mob numbers in branches.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I tried Elona, the interface seemed tedious as hell! Every single action required a bunch of different keypresses and remembering way too much weird new stuff that no game has ever used before.

I tried a lot of roguelikes but I only enjoyed 2 of them so far. TOME4 and the one with the guy with the big eyebrows. I liked both of those because it was just fighting and the combat was fun and had some depth. I never completed the eyebrow game though because I got bored of the repetition eventually. I almost completed TOME4 but then my game because so corrupt that I couldn't complete it, everything was bugged and messed up :/ I wish I could find more games like those, focused on combat and limited UI hassles.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I tried Elona, the interface seemed tedious as hell! Every single action required a bunch of different keypresses and remembering way too much weird new stuff that no game has ever used before.

The only keypresses you'll need are lowercase f for ranged attack, lowercase x for opening the menu where you can use 7 and 9 on the numpad to scroll through (this potentially eliminates an effective 60-70% of the keypresses), g for picking shit up, c for character sheet and z for the context wheel plus 1-0 for your ability hotkeys. It's main inspiration is ADOM but the dev acknowledged how cumbersome ADOM's UI is, so he streamlined it and to a greater, better extent.

You should also try brogue or DCSS they're very streamlined like ToME4 and both aim and serve as an introductory and moderately-difficult roguelike. The Ground Gives Way and D**mRL has no fluff too.

Emmanuel2 so I decide to play Elona+ anew (because don't know when I'll fix my dt), so what can you say about Elona Custom? Worth it or not?

Also forget it, already using Custom.

My next question - what is the most potent end-game weapon besides Martial Art?
Melee or ranged?
Looks like Melee better, but Ranged had ammo which add to damage and crit calculations.

It is pain in the ass to dig again what was dug long ago, because I already forgot it lol.
So please help. )

Edit again: also, if melee most potent, which one? With ranged its all clear but melee isn't. For now it looks like spears or something that can do Absolute Pierce attack or long swords.

It's so worth it that it's better to stay in 1.62.2 rather than upgrading to the latest version.

Melee IMHO. Ranged is outshined by magic.

Melee is very powerful with all of its weapon types. When we're not counting Martial Arts, Lightsabers (Longswords) have the best damage since they have 100% absolute pierce and you can make them.

If you're still going for Ranged, use Laser guns. They have a distance-tile modifier of 1.0 - 1.0 - 1.0 - 1.0 - 1.0 - 1.0 - 0.4 so you won't have to go about positioning yourself for that 1.0 sweetspot and positioning in the game is a bitch.

duanth123

Arcane

I tried a lot of roguelikes but I only enjoyed 2 of them so far. TOME4 and the one with the guy with the big eyebrows. I liked both of those because it was just fighting and the combat was fun and had some depth. I never completed the eyebrow game though because I got bored of the repetition eventually. I almost completed TOME4 but then my game because so corrupt that I couldn't complete it, everything was bugged and messed up :/ I wish I could find more games like those, focused on combat and limited UI hassles.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

DoomRL is right up your alley. It's all about combat; positioning, timing, and knowing how strong you and your enemies are. You gain levels and manage an inventory, but it's very barebones. Levels just give you perks, no stat points to fiddle with or skills to unlock. There's only ~20 perks for each class (and most of those are shared between the 3 classes) so you'll generally be able to just go ahead and make your choice based on your build without thinking too much. Inventory is just a limit on number of items you can carry at once, no weight bullshit to deal with, no stores to worry about. Just carry what will be useful later on and forget the rest. DoomRL does have some fairly bullshit non random levels though. They're optional, but offer good rewards if you learn them well (AKA you read the wiki), and my only real gripe with the game is they can get repetitive and it feels mandatory to do them if you know you'll profit from them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sweet thanks! I will get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom