Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Are you the developer, account joined today with 1 message?

Whiran

Magister
You are a human who controls a relic and can bind demons to your will, the game is heavily inspired by SMT: Nocturne, but much more tactical. The developer is very active and responds to suggestions and critics very well.
So it's an attempt to be pokemon?

getter77

Augur
Nah, Demon really is drawing more from the Shin Megami Tensei side of things---it is indeed a promising project that has seen a pretty pronounced flurry of releases and such these past months. Part of that is the dev making the exceptionally bold move to work on it full time for the next great while in a bid to see just how good the game can become in that amount of time with such a focus heaped upon it, but yeah.

As to Qud on Steam: Fair bit of new content coming rather soon, ample bugifxes and performance improvements versus the old days---they are pretty much living at least some of the dream now finally better able to get all the things done on the game that they'd been sketching out all these years. Gets more and more worth it with each ~Friday update.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I found this great monster-collection roguelike:

http://demon.ferretdev.org/

You are a human who controls a relic and can bind demons to your will, the game is heavily inspired by SMT: Nocturne, but much more tactical. The developer is very active and responds to suggestions and critics very well.

I'll have to try it out. I just hope the Linux version isn't a UI nightmare that forces me to run the WIndows version under Wine like I have to do with PosChengband :D

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not exactly a roguelike, but has anyone played Vagante? I'm a sucker for Spelunky and if this is anything like it plus RPG elements it would be right up my alley.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Played them both, and yeah, they've definitely got the right idea and stuff is being added at a reasonable pace. I think Catacomb Kids is a better concept (it's more akin to Nethack where random stuff in combination leads to fun, like electrifying water or boiling a corpse to make it edible) but Vagante has gotten way more attention from streamers etc. so it's likely to have a much better budget and go further in development.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm almost fed up of The Binding of Isaac after 110 hours between Rebirth and Afterbirth :negative:

Damned Registrations

I didn't even play Rebirth much and Afterbirth is starting to wear thin on me too. Though I think it's largely because I keep aiming to unlock shit, and these challenges are some annoying god damned shit. That and doing a run knowing that it's only going to unlock shit you'd unlock incidentally anyways when you start doing chest/dark room runs.

That said, finally got polaroid unlocked, and only a few challenges left. Soon I can focus on just doing more normal runs, which are a lot more enjoyable and less RNG based.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I was doing just runs for a long long while until I got to Golden God and quit. In Afterbirth I did Greed mode and Hush a couple of times, and other than said annoying challenges and unlocks there isn't much for me to do. Unlocking The Lost is just a matter of getting The Missing Poster in a run. I've yet to see Mega Satan, but getting two angel rooms in an OP run is difficult. Unlocking The Keeper is just grinding Greed mode.

MWaser

Arbiter
Crawl randarts can be so comedic. "Amulet of Suicidal Tendencies", with +Rage and -Int
And my favourite thus far, a "distressingly furry ring mail" when unidentified that turned out to be the "Ring Mail of the Hot Ocelot"

Renegen

Arcane
Last time I played Vagante it had very little content, not sure it will ever get completed.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Fenix jcd, you guys have played DCSS, right? In which order should I do the end game dungeons? I haven't tried hell, abyss, pandenmonium, ziggurat, zot or crypt yet, but I think I have done all the rest. Reading the wiki doesn't really help me decide what to do next. I'm playing XL25 draconian conjurer.
Like Tomb is a death sentence if you don't know what to do there. Abyss is chaos, it ismostly easy but rarely can be very dangerous.
Hells aren't dangerous if you prapared, exept boss-demons on final level, in my exp Ereshkigal most dangerous of all.
Panda - well, 4/5 on danger scale, without spikes, (and it was removed or not?).
Ziggurat is for last, if you planned to do it from bottom to top.

MisterStone

Arcane
Bros, anyone played ADOM delux (released on Steam a few days ago) yet? It looks very nice with slick tile art etc. Sure there is plenty of stuff pandering to mainstream failmonkeys (can turn off permadeath???), but it is all optonal. I am tempted to buy just to support the dev. But it would be easier if sbdy told me it's better than ever now.

Ziem

Arbiter
adom was good 15, maybe 10 years ago
now i dont see myself picking it over dcss or tome

MisterStone

Arcane
adom was good 15, maybe 10 years ago
now i dont see myself picking it over dcss or tome
Yeah, haven't played in years, but the latest version looks real slick, just wonder if the game itself is improved along with the ui, graphics, etc.

Not sure what to make of ToME, seems a bit oversaturated with skills and stuff. I like how Crawl SS has a relatively small number of skills etc, low statistics bloat, and only 3 primary stats, but still delivers many different gaming experiences and play styles. ToME feels like one of those games where character advancement means piling on crazy amounts of damage dice, primary stats, hit points, etc., ADOM being another classic example.

zeitgeist

Magister
After a 10+ year hiatus, the NetHack DevTeam is happy to announce the release of NetHack 3.6, a combination of the old and the new.

Unlike previous releases, which focused on the general game fixes, this release consists of a series of foundational changes in the team, underlying infrastructure and changes to the approach to game development.

Those of you expecting a huge raft of new features will probably be disappointed.

http://www.nethack.org/v360/release.html

getter77

Augur
ADOM on Steam is well worth it---they've still got lots of updates planned and the price to kick in for some support to keep it rolling even beyond that is decent enough.

It is a similar situation to Caves of Qud on Steam really---both games better than they ever were years ago, each primed to get yet better still as all the pieces have finally come together to give them a fighting chance to do so.

Executr

Cipher
Found this one on Greenlight, still in the works: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=558657416

Dead Hand is a turn based tactical roguelike game set in a fully destructible procedural environment. Take control of an autonomous weapons platform and fight your way through a multiple level underground cave complex in order to fulfill your directives. Along the way you'll explore abandoned caverns now populated by rogue robotic combat vehicles, scavenge parts to improve your weapons platform, engage in fearsome boss battles, and die multiple times in the process.

Damned Registrations

Sounds cool, reminds me of Cogmind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom