Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Courtier

Prophet
Unfucked Mummy's got you covered (glad I bookmarked it some time ago), it is updated every once in a while and readds cut content: http://pastebin.com/KjDRksPE
Latest is 0.15.2.

Also the original Linley's Dungeon Crawl site is ded, and downloads are gone. Goodnight sweet prince

Courtier

Prophet
Wat a qt

hear about it?
It was posted in threads I frequent, but I have an irrational hatred of leddit. It seems there are two versions of crawl that Linley worked on in there, so that's cool. I'm not going to download 7 gigs worth of games I'll never play though.

One notable game I also see in there is poschengband, which everybody should play and which deserves a spot in the OP.

Poscheng is a variation on Angband with a metric shit ton of races and classes, and with a list of enemies that includes pretty much everything the dev has ever seen. Only in PCB can you be a Balrog, Quylthulg, mimic, or a literal sentient ring of power waiting to be picked up and possess somebody, and fight Kenshiro, Santa Claus, the gods of the Olympus, Bill Gates, cyberdemons, the developer of the game, Gandalf, and Dio Brando.

I just did a count and there's 62 player races with differences beyond stats - such as androids only gaining levels from the equipment they wear, jellies absorbing corpses and gear to grow stronger, dragons and hounds evolving into greater creatures as they level up and demons needing to eat human flesh to survive.

https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/

Last edited:

Courtier

Prophet
There were already people posting about this in here a couple years ago by the way, so let this just serve as a reminder that it exists and has been actively updated.

Allow me to dump part of my screens folder to exhibit the clusterfuck that is this game:

n57QtFL.png

VfAXGYk.png

eOOT5AP.png

skfgoLD.png

MORE (polite spoiler):
UNqmCnF.png

Pj5EA4A.png

e4HDd1S.png

3ccbaT5.png

Eddw46H.png

rWDWSdA.png

bAMJRPr.png

fYo2gPo.png

4PkD4qu.png

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Crawl ain't what it used to be. Just finished 15-rune and 2 Zigs run, and just had 7-8 difficult fights at most. Mennas, Antaeus, Lom Lobon, and a couple of Ziggurat levels.

They made it so casul, it hurts. Corrosion is no longer permanent, potions don't explode in cold, scrolls don't burn in fire. Basically, nothing really threatens you apart from your own carelesness. Some content was cut out too. Maybe I should play earlier builds, but idk. Gotta find a new rouguelike to kill the time.

desocupado

Magister
Call me casual, but I like some of the changes. Stuff like being able to butcher while wielding a blunt weapon, some of the new spells, the auxiliary minotaur attacks, the new gods. The shortening of some branches is also good. The vaults and the lower levels of the dungeon (now called the depths) are shorter, but much more full of monsters. I think they shortened the levels, but kept the same amount of experience, which led to levels packed with monsters, which makes for a more challenging, action packed mid game, and shorter on the time count, because you take less time just roaming around empty corridors. Both of which are good, on my count.

I also loved the octopodes, and the new races have been creative at least (except gargoyles, fuck Mary Sue good at everything gargoyles).

Corrosion never affected me much, and it was a pain in the ass to have a different weapon just to kill jellies. The non burnable scrolls and the non wasted potions, are a mixed bag. On one hand they make the game easier, by letting you have more options and shit to help you with encounters, on the other hand, it was a pain in the ass to have an ice beast or mottled dragon destroy all your potions of cure mutation or scrolls of enchant weapon.

They plan to remove the no teleport control thing that some levels have. That, I agree, it's going too popamole.

Also, fuck who decided to remove mountain dwarves and sludge elves.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

desocupado

Magister
Which you shouldn't carry around with you.

You're right, but I make the Lair my stash, and it's not uncommom to find them before the lair, and that's when that happens. Or when you're exploring the dungeon, finds a potion/scroll and thinks "I'm not going back just to drop that" and the next thing you find is a frost/fire giant.

Courtier

Prophet
Ohoho man Elona+. Seconding that. I've spent more hours fucking around with houses, farms, museums, portraits, sprites, writing my own NPCs, and genetically engineering an army of catgirls than it took me to win NetHack, Crawl and ADOM combined.

Start a new game and get tricked into eating a hobo. Play piano and get stoned to death by the audience! Get impregnated by aliens and have your children burst out of your chest. Marry and create genes (new characters) with literally anything, from qt elves to inanimate objects, ghosts or your dog. Prostitute yourself! Cook your enemies into food for the whole family. Start an item shop and become filthy rich! Complete exciting quests such as ''I want to give my kid [shit] as a birthday present''. Keep creatures at a ranch, and get the offspring and delicious milk and meat of your dimensional cube, skeleton, or little girl!

Adventure the good old fashioned way, or make a living by farming in peace with your waifu. Be a wandering merchant. Buy and sell slaves! Mutate into an abomination. Use pokeballs and rods to recruit any creature, which can even be evolved. Try and fight the gods of the game hundreds of hours of faffing about later. Then kill the gods inside the gods! You can even wipe out entire towns with a nuclear bomb if you'd like. When you're done, there's two more continents to explore. The possibilities are endless.

tl;dr it's basically ADOM as a grindan sandbox on crack and PCP

Courtier

Prophet
I played Elona some years back. Is Elona+ any different? I was pretty sure that it was abandoned by devs long ago.
The base game Elona (created by Noa) was indeed abandoned years ago, only having one continent, North Tyris - but a huge fanbase in nipland immediately banded together to drastically expand and improve the game in literally every way, which spawned Elona+. Half the things I mentioned in that post were not in the original game, and E+ development continues to this day.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Wat a qt

It was posted in threads I frequent, but I have an irrational hatred of leddit. It seems there are two versions of crawl that Linley worked on in there, so that's cool. I'm not going to download 7 gigs worth of games I'll never play though.

One notable game I also see in there is poschengband, which everybody should play and which deserves a spot in the OP.

Poscheng is a variation on Angband with a metric shit ton of races and classes, and with a list of enemies that includes pretty much everything the dev has ever seen. Only in PCB can you be a Balrog, Quylthulg, mimic, or a literal sentient ring of power waiting to be picked up and possess somebody, and fight Kenshiro, Santa Claus, the gods of the Olympus, Bill Gates, cyberdemons, the developer of the game, Gandalf, and Dio Brando.

I just did a count and there's 62 player races with differences beyond stats - such as androids only gaining levels from the equipment they wear, jellies absorbing corpses and gear to grow stronger, dragons and hounds evolving into greater creatures as they level up and demons needing to eat human flesh to survive.

https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/

I really like the playing style spectrum of the ~bands, especially poschengband. If you want to race for the highscores you have to take risks and know all the intricacies, but nothing stops you from taking your time and just slowly grinding through the game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Has anyone tried SIL yet? I heard about it on that roguelike podcast and decided to give it a try- the base mechanics are amazing. I'm not even done the tutorial yet and I'm already thoroughly impressed. This might unseat Nethack as my favourite roguelike.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hate Brogue.
I love Brogue.
Why am I so fucking retarded?

I had a +6 Mace of Force.

I was like fucking Sauron.

Why did I pester that pack of ogres and their shaman? If I had some armor on, they'd all be pulp by now. Why why why why why why why

Last edited:

MisterStone

Arcane
Brodes, keep an eye on Caves of Qud; it had been in the fridge for many years, but it's receiving weekly feature updates! It's a fun roguelike with elements of TSR/WoC's Gamma World and also various Dying Sun genre tropes, plus good writing. It's on Steam, but if you don't need tile graphics, you can get the old skool version codesheet tile graphics version (also updated at same frequency as Steam version) for free on the dev website.

freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Brodes, keep an eye on Caves of Qud; it had been in the fridge for many years, but it's receiving weekly feature updates! It's a fun roguelike with elements of TSR/WoC's Gamma World and also various Dying Sun genre tropes, plus good writing. It's on Steam, but if you don't need tile graphics, you can get the old skool version codesheet tile graphics version (also updated at same frequency as Steam version) for free on the dev website.

freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39

My, that looks interesting... might give it a try! Thanks :3

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Going to need to rescind me fanboyish glee about SIL. While I still love the base mechanics, the actual content in terms of monster and item distribution makes it feel pretty dull. Chances of finding a noteworthy item are nearly zilch, aside from random potions (aka worthless deathraps). So almost all time is spent wandering around corridors and hitting the same enemy 600 times because of the irritating morale + telepathic enemy AI that flees when it gets hurt, heals, and then hunts you the fuck down. Doesn't help that even the weakest things like worm masses are nigh indestructible unless you've sunk literally all your xp purely into offense and stumbled into a good weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom