Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Is URR playable atm?
Not really. You can walk around the world, solve some randomly generated puzzles, research the world's history and look at all the glorious ASCII blooms but that's about it. The game is still very much a prototype.
Did the guy change the premise?
Yes. Read more about his current plan with the game here. To be honest, I think this guy seems like a bit of an artfag at times.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Just spotted that:
INT
IndieDB page
I've still not really checked background (that is longer than most other rls), but from description it seems nice:
I've not really understood if it will be more of a roguelike or a classic rpg (wathever that means...), but it seems potentially interesting.
Demo or its vaporware.

tindrli

Arcane
Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So ToME4 hasn't managed to make me ragequit yet like it usually does. I did get a little bored on my corruptor due to how long it was taking to kill shit (mostly due to having to manually aim and cast a ton of shit, turn wise it was probably a lot faster than my current char in most cases) so I went and read some crap to optimize him, realized I'd been a massive retard not to make him a shalore for the crit bonus, and more importantly that he had fuck all chance of unlocking the oozemancer I haven't tried yet.

So I fiddled around a bit and settled on my new char: Thalore Sun Paladin. Which has been the biggest easy mode so far. I think elves have some hidden +infinity luck modifier for loot drops. This fucker has gotten some incredible shit (like the tier 2 unique rock cloak that gives massive armour bonuses and lets you cast fucking stone prison) and in general just has way more artifacts dropping. I even get them from normal enemies. Not even rares or elite, just totally normal weaklings. I got the fucking umbral razor or whatever it's called off an ant while fiddling with the switches in the ruins. Was the only item any of the trash I was summoning dropped.

Class itself is nice because it allows for being extremely lazy. Crank shield of light and sword of light, set a shield rune to activate on melee range, and just walk around and bump into things until they melt, since you're fucking invincible. Ever time you hit something, you bash it with your shield too, both hits do bonus light damage and both hits benefit from on hit damage, and both hits increase your current damage shield and extend the duration to 2 turns. Throw in some actual talents for bosses that hit 3 (4 because of the sustain) times in a single turn, and you're effectively regening ~80 hp per turn before you even activate bathe in light. And this is all on a shield, which is of course a reflection shield for more damage because LOL SUPER LUCK. Speaking of super luck, I got body armor in a shop that grants me a damage shield bigger than the damage taken whenever I get hit for more than 20% of my total health. That seems balanced. Totally not vastly superior to other artifact armour with awesome bonuses like '10% chance to cast lightning when struck'.

Oh, and you heal whenever you take damage, so assuming your shield wears off, you're probably getting healed by things like the 50 poison/bleed/disease effects on you, and that firecloud you're standing in, and the burning dot, and the enemy attacks, and the 2 acid damage spikes the enemy has on it's gear. Plus you have Providence, which is awesome. Oh, and crusader for more debuff removal, while attacking.

Feels like I'm playing Nethack and I've found a wand of wishing on every fucking dungeon floor.

Answermancer

Educated
Speaking of super luck, I got body armor in a shop that grants me a damage shield bigger than the damage taken whenever I get hit for more than 20% of my total health. That seems balanced. Totally not vastly superior to other artifact armour with awesome bonuses like '10% chance to cast lightning when struck'.

This is the armor I found on my Archer and mentioned a few posts back, saying how I hadn't died yet because I think I got super lucky and found this. Funny thing is, you probably found the nerfed version (it was nerfed in 1.2.1) which gives 130% of the damage taken as a shield.

I still have the pre-nerf 1.2.0 version which gives DOUBLE the damage taken as a shield. So it's pretty clear he's aware of issues with this item, I'm not sure if he's nerfed it enough. My archer is almost unkillable thanks to that pre-nerf version, unless I do something really stupid, but I've never gotten far in this game before so I'm still having fun.

subotaiy

Cipher
Archer is a really weak class and in need of some revisioning; sure, it hits hard, but so do others. On the other hand, it has 0 defensive passives, you tend to run out of arrows/stamina quick. Playing as a skeleton can compensate some, since the race is tanky as hell, but you got that 40% exp penalty.

Damned Registrations

Exp penalty seems totally irrelevant tbh. Between the level scaling and xp reward scaling (if you're behind in levels you get way more xp) it essentially means you'll be a level or two behind at most. My sun paladin has a 35% penalty, I'm still level 24 and I haven't done dreadfell yet. Doing extra areas does wonders, I think I got 2 levels just out of the time rift in daikara, probably another out of the volcano and another from some random event thing (Poosh? No idea what this is a reference to.) I usually get there at like 20 with Cornacs anyways because I had to skip places like Celia's tomb and the spellblaze.

Speaking of which, the boss of the spellblaze is a CUNT. Why the fuck does he have a prodigy? Nearly killed me. Got me down to like 70 hp in a fearscape with no heals or shields left, with two 35dmg diseases on me while he had ~550 hp left. Luckily I one shot him because +280 fire damage per attack is super balanced.

Answermancer

Educated
Archer is a really weak class and in need of some revisioning; sure, it hits hard, but so do others. On the other hand, it has 0 defensive passives, you tend to run out of arrows/stamina quick. Playing as a skeleton can compensate some, since the race is tanky as hell, but you got that 40% exp penalty.

Running out of arrows is not really a problem, especially since you now reload whenever you move as of 1.2.0. As for being really weak... well it's a good thing I have that OP pre-nerf chestpiece :P

But yeah, without that I would feel very vulnerable and would probably have exhausted all my lives by now. Still, it's fun and I'm hoping to unlock some more stuff.

Renegen

Arcane
Exp penalty does matter a bit for someone like a Shalore that has so many of its good skills at level 24+, not to mention you want to hit level 30 as soon as possible for the first Prodigy.

Melee classes btw were really buffed lately, a whole new bunch of item modifiers have been introduced and they're nothing short of mega OP, the only thing that keeps melees from facerolling everything is the late game. Drop frequency has also been improved I feel like, you would rarely get 1 orange item all game and now they drop a lot more often, a single run can give you pretty much every OP stat you need now, you really needed luck before to get a good melee build. A melee that had a chance to win the game HAD to be able to survive farportals and do 5+ of them. No more farportals anymore, ever.

I think it's pretty lame personally, all the tryhards have been using stupid easy caster classes like Archmage, Solipsist and Oozemancer and so they got bored with that and lobbied to make melee classes stupid easy. Eh, the law of averages always brings things down.

edit: oh yeah, I had a lvl 50 Archer, one of my many classes that I got to lvl 50 and was unable to win the game. They are quite weak because although their burst is good, their dps isn't which is what's really important for the late game. The less survivability you have, the more dps you need to compensate. They got buffed recently because a problem of theirs was the tiny amount of really good quivers.

Damned Registrations

Welp, the master is dead. Didn't even have to use the teleport away bullshit most classes do. Just a straight up slugfest until he was dead. Twice. (I did have to use stone wall a couple times and move around a bit to get some breathing space so my shit could come off cooldown once in a while, but that doesn't really count, I was just avoiding total stunlock, not coming back with full resources.)

Stun is really much less threatening now that it doesn't prevent healing. Daze too is a lot weaker. Good changes though, overall. I still find the whole 'talents don't cooldown' thing way too common and irritating. It's bad enough for stun to do it, since every fucker, even summoned minions, have like 2 ways to cause it, but brainlock and silence do this shit too. And fucking everything causes brainlock because everything spams confusion/fear at you 24/7. FFS give it a rest.

getter77

Augur
It'll wind up a fair bit different than Prospector/the dev and Prospector folks have friendly communication, but it is kind of a given for their to be influence on account of Prospector being pretty much the only crack at things along these lines for all this while.

Damned Registrations

I love transcendence, but it desperately needs some new content. And I mean new systems beyond the current 'ending', not extra weapons or ships. I've played through it many times and at this point it feels like mostly a routine, gathering the specific overpowered weapons/shields/etc. at each stage of the game before moving on.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I love transcendence, but it desperately needs some new content. And I mean new systems beyond the current 'ending', not extra weapons or ships. I've played through it many times and at this point it feels like mostly a routine, gathering the specific overpowered weapons/shields/etc. at each stage of the game before moving on.
What about the expansion Corporate Command? http://multiverse.kronosaur.com/transEntry.hexm?unid=Transcendence:00800000# You have to pay 3 dollars tough. There is also story mods, any recommendation?

Also, again, what the fuck is up with mysterious castle for windows?

Damned Registrations

The corporate command expansion mostly adds ships and weapons. I think there's a mission or two in there as well, but not enough to do the trick for me.

The biggest mod in terms of adding stuff to do was one of the ones that added a bunch more systems and interconnected them a lot. It added sidequests for things like going into Charon space and sutff. I'm pretty sure it's out of date now though. Though I haven't checked the mods for a while, maybe theres a decent new one I haven't heard of kicking around.

Gave Crawl another whirl today. Didn't even realize it had gotten another update. Apparently Djinns got changed to plant monsters. And gargoyles are still insanely OP compared to everyone else for melee, they didn't get a single nerf. I'm guessing nobody on the dev team has actually played a melee char in about 5 years.

Ended up dying in the shoals to a merfolk with a trident of distortion. He seemed to have about a 1 in 2 chance to teleport me away, and he sent me to the abyss once too, from whence I dragged back a fucking angel while escaping. Those are fun to try kill with a ~+3 lajatang of fire, ate a ton of resources. When I went back for the fish fucker I was low on healing anyways and was hoping to kill him before being teleported away again, so I got agressive. Which of course meant I got murdered. Oh well, was a fairly shit run anyways, I think my most noteworthy find was a hat of spirit shield. Oh, and a nice artifact waraxe of vampirism, AFTER I hit +14 in staves. Which I might still have gone for if not for the fact that I didn't find a shield until reading a scroll of acquisition for armor.

Thanks game, a buckler will go GREAT with my lajatangs and 0 shield skill. I certanly didn't want to replace my +0 gloves, boots, helmet or my +3 plate armour. Fuck the RNG.

desocupado

Magister
Thanks game, a buckler will go GREAT with my lajatangs and 0 shield skill. I certanly didn't want to replace my +0 gloves, boots, helmet or my +3 plate armour. Fuck the RNG.

The RNG is lopsided, and I feel it's really, REALLY likely to get a shield nowadays when you ask for armour from a scroll of acquirement, even if you got 0 skill in shields

It's happend to me so many times, I think it's a bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom