Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Cancer is spreading

Is the cancer spreading?

• Yes

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
A year back or more, Dark Underlord finally dropped the hammer on megathreads. Stop making megathreads or someone will get demodded, he said. Stop this shit, it's ruining our fair land, he said.

So, when WL2 was finally released I looked forward to reading a nice thread of impressions about the new, grand, Wasteland 2. I really wanted to.

But it was not to be. Within one day, the thread had generated 24(!) pages already. What a fascinating game you say, was there so much to comment upon? Or did someone start a multi-party flamewar? Or did we break new ground in RPG analysis? Sadly, no. It was all filled to the brim with comments only marginally more intelligent than "first!" "second!" "This is bunny copy him [....] world domination" and so on.

This is typical megathread behaviour. Short, meaningless posts fired off at full auto speed. It appears that slaying the megathreads was not enough; the cancer has metastasized and colonized not only the PE thread, but now appears to be establishing colonies in every new high-profile thread on the dex. The modus operandi is to drown every new thread with comments until it has become a megathread, at which point the thread enters a self destructive evil circle of more inane one liners---->people feel less obligated to effortpost----->more inanities---->all effort gets drowned out, it's meaningless anyways---->repeat. In the end, only Roguey and Infinitron remains as King and Queen of the digital wastelands.

And what's worse: This cycle is now so efficient it happens within one day of release!

The rule against megathreads was formally declared long ago, but has not been upheld to any degree whatsoever. This is not surprising, as the megathreads were pushed by the very people tasked with upholding the law; a certain unholy trinity of moderators whose names and sexual/ethnic/gender identities shall not be named. Thus, the policing of the forums is deeply corrupt and we can only expect it to get worse from here on. Until the law enforcement will be cleaned up, replaced and punished, crpg discussion will probably be the new GD for all the sense you can get out of it.

I call upon all to raise their voices in opposition to this degeneracy.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
There's still a whole lot of merging going on, the no megathreads rule hasn't ever been enforced. It's being done even when there's no relevant information to add to the chosen megathread, but since it has the same game as subject IT MUST BE MERGED.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm going to help prove the OP's point by writing this inane one-liner.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, didn't even notice this thread.

I'm not aware of any rule against megathreads. There is a rule against indiscriminate merging, but that hasn't happened here.

Wasteland 2 is a new and anticipated game, of course people want to sound off.

I have to ask, what did you expect to find in the Wasteland 2 thread? Every post a full, paragraphs-long review? Of course it was all gonna be "GUYS HOW 2 FIND RAD SUITS" and "COMBAT FEELS P COOL", people are playing the game for the first time.
Do you remember how it was back before 2012....

Oh wait you don't. No seriously, this level of activity is completely unprecedented. One wonders how people got by back then, when they had less than several dozens pages to post their opinions in.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You could post threads in Prosperland and avoid the people who are too sociable and chatty. Prosperland is also immune from megathread merging.

inb4 prosperous megathread

Lemming42

Arcane

Oh wait you don't. No seriously, this level of activity is completely unprecedented. One wonders how people got by back then, when they had less than several dozens pages to post their opinions in.

Actually, I started lurking sporadically from around the release of Fallout 3. I still don't get what you wanted to see in the thread, it's for discussion about WL2 and people are discussing it, just at rapidfire pace with semi-useless posts. If you want to get people's first impressions, "inane one-liners" are probably the best way to get them

Actually, I started lurking sporadically from around the release of Fallout 3. I still don't get what you wanted to see in the thread, it's for discussion about WL2 and people are discussing it, just at rapidfire pace with semi-useless posts. If you want to get people's first impressions, "inane one-liners" are probably the best way to get them
Too bad the thread isn't "first impressions" thread and the unholy trinity of mods have demonstrated time and time again that they will merge new threads, and new threads will be polluted by the usual suspects.

Lemming42

Arcane
Too bad the thread isn't "first impressions" thread and the unholy trinity of mods have demonstrated time and time again that they will merge new threads, and new threads will be polluted by the usual suspects.

Isn't it? The OP is just an excited screech of "IT'S UP THE GAME IS UP ON GOG" and the rest of the first page is even more inane than the rest of the thread.

It'll cool down soon anyway and people will get over the initial "WHOAOHOAHA THIS GAME IS ACTUALLY GOOD" and start posting vaguely more constructive things. People are already starting to post mini-reviews over the last few pages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom