Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Black Geyser erupts on Kickstarter

Mustawd

I finally realized who the voice over in the above gameplay video sounds like.

"Hi, Elliot Rodger here......."

- Has a walk toggle out of the box
- Ambient audio which you can actually hear
- Heroes who kill fireflies with axes and don't give a single fuck
- Voiceovers include lines such as "How can I help?" and "As you wish", instead of generic "Uh-uh?" for selection and "Ugh" for commands.
- WarCraft I level of attack animations, uniform attack and recovery times.
- No "+0.3sec duration, +15% damage" bullshit.

Already better than PoE. Prepare your buttholes for the Black Geyser!

honestly the game looks pretty good, I must admit.

That's actually an old vid. Here's the newest one.

I finally realized who the voice over in the above gameplay video sounds like.

"Hi, Elliot Rodger here......."

- Has a walk toggle out of the box
- Ambient audio which you can actually hear
- Heroes who kill fireflies with axes and don't give a single fuck
- Voiceovers include lines such as "How can I help?" and "As you wish", instead of generic "Uh-uh?" for selection and "Ugh" for commands.
- WarCraft I level of attack animations, uniform attack and recovery times.
- No "+0.3sec duration, +15% damage" bullshit.

Already better than PoE. Prepare your buttholes for the Black Geyser!

honestly the game looks pretty good, I must admit.

yes, I have seen that one as well. It really does look good. I honestly would buy this game if they finish it, and I am not kidding that it seems at least somewhat likely I would like it more than PoE

Mustawd

People can say what they will, but seeing that these guys are ex BG modders, I honestly think Black Geyser will be closer to BG than PoE is. Which is a crazy thought to be honest.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, PoE was as far from BG as you can get: different setting, different (much worse) rules, no memorable characters, no attention paid to encounter design, world not worth exploring, no interesting items to find as a consequence of the system... I mean, I could go on, but it's not that crazy, considering how not-BG PoE turned out to be.

Can't wait for the downvote brigade to tell me how much better the setting, rules, characters, encounters and items in PoE were...

Mustawd

That's a good point. And like I said in the general Black Geyser thread, these guys have designed the system based on 2nd edition AD&D, just like BG. So I'm expecting Black Geyser to feel like a full BG total conversion mod.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's a good point. And like I said in the general Black Geyser thread, these guys have designed the system based on 2nd edition AD&D, just like BG. So I'm expecting Black Geyser to feel like a full BG total conversion mod.
I expect it to feel like a bad rip off made by bad developers.

purpleblob

Savant
People can say what they will, but seeing that these guys are ex BG modders, I honestly think Black Geyser will be closer to BG than PoE is. Which is a crazy thought to be honest.

Which BG modders are you referring to?

ortucis

Prophet

Black Geyser writing staff must be really good then.

I keep quoting it, but it's the first para of the Kickstarter page:

Chaos and despair spread throughout the Kingdom of Isilmerald. Its desperate people cry out, praying to the gods for help. But the force they face is no mere plague of the undead, or demonic attack… Something far more sinister, far more primal is afoot. Avarice!

I find it funny cause it reminds me of the "epic" stories I used to write as a kid, making up names for the places (and they would sound as ridiculous as the one in that para). Avarice? A VIRUS? OMG THAT MATCHES THE THEMEWTFBBQ!!

You know, I now actually DO want to see this primal force Avirus, since it's somehow more than a "mere" plague of undead or even a demonic attack (just an one time attack, no possessions no long time corruption of souls? Kay..).

Just like Baldur's Gate.

Mustawd

Which BG modders are you referring to?

So their website used to have a picture or something that used to link to a BG modding forum. Looks like they've recently cut that link, but it was there. And the thread of the forum was very Black Geyserey. Pretty sure it was like 2 or 3 of the devs of Black Geyser.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Chaos and despair spread throughout the Kingdom of Isilmerald. Its desperate people cry out, praying to the gods for help. But the force they face is no mere plague of the undead, or demonic attack… Something far more sinister, far more primal is afoot. Avarice!

I find it funny cause it reminds me of the "epic" stories I used to write as a kid, making up names for the places (and they would sound as ridiculous as the one in that para). Avarice? A VIRUS? OMG THAT MATCHES THE THEMEWTFBBQ!!

You know, I now actually DO want to see this primal force Avirus, since it's somehow more than a "mere" plague of undead or even a demonic attack (just an one time attack, no possessions no long time corruption of souls? Kay..).

Just like Baldur's Gate.

Not sure if serious. I agree the writing remains pretty awful, but avarice is only capitalized since it's at the beginning of a sentence. And it's a real word:

av·a·rice
ˈavərəs/
noun
extreme greed for wealth or material gain.

purpleblob

Savant
Found it - a dude called Baronius, he claims he is the co-founder of Black Geyser.

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/threads/a-new-rpg-black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness.77925/

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29348

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29334

I think he is the only BG modder involved?

www.blackwyrmlair.net/ <-- this site sometimes takes you to Black Geyser site, sometimes it doesn't (if you click on cached version it takes you to what look like old Geyser site.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet

Just like Baldur's Gate.

Not sure if serious. I agree the writing remains pretty awful, but avarice is only capitalized since it's at the beginning of a sentence. And it's a real word:

av·a·rice
ˈavərəs/
noun
extreme greed for wealth or material gain.

It gave me the impression that they are using it as a name for something. But if not, it's still stupid. Just use "greed" instead of trying to find alternatives to common words and adding to the confusion.

Not to mention, how the fuck is greed a bigger threat than a demonic invasion (attack?). Greed can be a byproduct of demonic invasion/corruption, so it means that they are ignoring the cause of greed completely since symptom is apparently a bigger threat.

Point is, making "greed" a bigger deal in a fantasy world with demons is stupid. Unless they are also re-writing what people associate demons with and turning them into a furry race or something, which would be incredibly dumb. That one para raises so many questions and I'm not even funding it.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeah, Baronius - he's (I think) the admin at the Black Wyrm modding community (they haven't produced any mods one might consider necessary), and one of the older modders still around.

Zeriel

Arcane
Hmm, looking at the list of features, multiple platforms, and the art and equipment in the trailer, I am sceptical that you can do that for $50K. I only back unknown devs if they can show something solid, like The Iron Oath for example.

The developers have already released the Great Work of our time, in the form of the forum thread about Black Geyser. These guys have already proven their worth ten times over.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are we seriously discussing the quality of a "spiritual successor"'s writing, in a post-PoE world?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
It gave me the impression that they are using it as a name for something. But if not, it's still stupid. Just use "greed" instead of trying to find alternatives to common words and adding to the confusion.

Not to mention, how the fuck is greed a bigger threat than a demonic invasion (attack?). Greed can be a byproduct of demonic invasion/corruption, so it means that they are ignoring the cause of greed completely since symptom is apparently a bigger threat.

Point is, making "greed" a bigger deal in a fantasy world with demons is stupid. Unless they are also re-writing what people associate demons with and turning them into a furry race or something, which would be incredibly dumb. That one para raises so many questions and I'm not even funding it.

Dude, this is the one and only thing they actually explained well from the get-go (and avarice is not an uncommon word--it's one of the seven deadly sins for heaven's sake).

Greed, for lack of a better word, is bad:

Whenever a creature acts greedily in Isilmerald, the power of Zornilsa, the goddess of greed, grows. Your actions are no exception, so keep this in mind when controlling your party! (rewards, looting, donations in temples etc.) As Zornilsa gets stronger, the kingdom becomes even more chaotic directly affecting gameplay. For example:
  • Prices go up as merchants lose interest in keeping a stable marketplace
  • NPCs become more suspicious and unfriendly, making positive interactions more difficult
  • Lawful citizens may end up as desperate outlaws prone to attacking without provocation
  • Loot Scavengers and hostile adventurer parties may appear after battles and attempt to seize your loot
Hold tight to your money sacks—Greed shall infest us all!

ortucis

Prophet

Dude, this is the one and only thing they actually explained well from the get-go (and avarice is not an uncommon word--it's one of the seven deadly sins for heaven's sake).

Greed, for lack of a better word, is bad:

Whenever a creature acts greedily in Isilmerald, the power of Zornilsa, the goddess of greed, grows. Your actions are no exception, so keep this in mind when controlling your party! (rewards, looting, donations in temples etc.) As Zornilsa gets stronger, the kingdom becomes even more chaotic directly affecting gameplay. For example:
  • NPCs become more suspicious and unfriendly, making positive interactions more difficult
  • Lawful citizens may end up as desperate outlaws prone to attacking without provocation
  • Loot Scavengers and hostile adventurer parties may appear after battles and attempt to seize your loot
Hold tight to your money sacks—Greed shall infest us all!

What the fuck is seven deadly sins? Not everyone knows that crap. So they are just assuming that everyone playing this shit needs to be familiar with that first? Amazing.

Again, the problem is that they have set up greed as a bigger threat than anything else (including demons) and it's just stupid. And Tortilla Godzilla Zornilsa getting stronger means merchants will charge me more? So I guess we'll be allowed to just kill the merchants and take what we want?

All those after-effects of Tortilla getting stronger are just how some people are in most games. The effects aren't anything special. So like I was saying, making "greed" such a big deal is incredibly retarded when according to them, there are undead and demons around (which would be a bigger threat to a human being than a overcharging merchant). The more I read, the more stupid it becomes. :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Inventory with weight limitation? But the god of IE games game design said that this is a useless feature that brings nothing to gameplay and is degenerateee! Shouldn't they have an infinite inventory with no weight constraints instead?

18 HP at level 2? Oh, bummer, I thought inflated numbers like 30 * [your current char level] lead to much more tactical combat, because you can put very tactical percentages on damage values that way?

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. Now you have my attention.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
What the fuck is seven deadly sins? Not everyone knows that crap. So they are just assuming that everyone playing this shit needs to be familiar with that first? Amazing.

The seven deadly sins are just the most obvious example; it's a Catholic thing, so should be instantly identifiable to hundreds of millions of English speaking catholics in the world (or however many of the 1.2 billion global catholics attend mass as the English word is nearly identical to its Latin root). Avarice is neither an obscure term nor a particularly sophisticated one; it's ubiquitous in fantasy literature, like the stuff 90% of the RPG genre is based on (and it's in tons of RPGs, too). Google it, you'll get 3.6 million hits. I think it has close cognates in French and Italian, too. I don't know what to tell you, this is just a gap in your vocabulary. There's no shame in not knowing something, especially if you're not a native english speaker, but you're compounding the mistake when you assume your own ignorance is universal.

Again, the problem is that they have set up greed as a bigger threat than anything else (including demons) and it's just stupid. And Tortilla Godzilla Zornilsa getting stronger means merchants will charge me more? So I guess we'll be allowed to just kill the merchants and take what we want?

I feel like you didn't really read this. Maybe you're drunk?

Greed is a mechanic in the game; it's the curse of a particularly pissed off god. The greedier you are, the greedier everyone else in the game becomes, to absurd, "my precious" levels. If you play it like a typical RPG--loot everything, hold out for better rewards, and steal whatever's not nailed down--it has a metaphysical impact on the world that ultimately leads to the complete breakdown of civilization. That's a serious threat, way more serious than demons! It could potentially turn every NPC into an enemy as "lawful citizens may end up as desperate outlaws prone to attacking without provocation." They're not saying people will do anything for money, they're saying that, depending on your play style, many NPCs will either be good, lawful citizens, or bandits who've been driven half crazy by their supernatural greed. Would you feel better if they called it dragon-sickness like in The Hobbit?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can't get over how stupid
sounds. If you were profit maximizer the price level should be where marginal costs would match marginal revenue. If anything being greedy would probably mean just trying to gain further monopoly power through coercion, but that's essentially what medieval guilds already did.

V_K

Arcane
18 HP at level 2? Oh, bummer, I thought inflated numbers like 30 * [your current char level] lead to much more tactical combat, because you can put very tactical percentages on damage values that way?
It's a thief/ranger type character though, they aren't supposed to be terribly tanky anyway.
If you were profit maximizer the price level should be where marginal costs would match marginal revenue. If anything being greedy would probably mean just trying to gain further monopoly power through coercion
Don't confuse rational greed and irrational greed.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Don't confuse rational greed and irrational greed.

There is greed and there is being a fucking idiot. Selling your daughter to prostitution could be greedy, but not irrational in a profit maximization sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom