Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Drones and missiles, both operated by software advanced enough that merely reports back to Earth to humans what they are doing. Cheaper, easier and more efficient than sending fragile meatbags in X-Wings to have lasers going PEW PEW PEW while yanking wildly around. Even though the latter would give us all gigantic hard-ons.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Blah people, stop using Imageshack.

C2Wqq.jpg
Wow, they pulled the shittiest line from Star Wars Episode 3.

You know what the reviewers were right about? The Reapers are a Cthuluian horror. So unfathomably dumb that a mere human mind is unable to comprehend.

Those underwater craft are used to launch ballistic missiles 1000s of miles away. And underwater combat is pretty much the opposite of space combat.
Sorry bro, I know I'm coming in late to this part of the thread but underwater combat is exactly what space combat would be like, barring magic FTL/inertia dampeners etc bullshit. Self-contained vessels that need to be able to operate independently for months in a terrifyingly vast 3D environment where stealth is only possible through careful exploitation of rare(ish) geological formations (planets, moons, asteroids, Sun), hoping to spot the enemy before the enemy spots them in-order to launch missiles millions of kilometres away before running into another hideout. Missiles that only need to engage their engines for few minutes to accelerate to a sufficiently high velocity, then can coast along trajectories and save the remaining delta-v for course corrections when they get closer to their target - which cannot evade aggressively enough without killing the crew aboard.

Position attacking craft directly between the target and the Sun and there's no way the target would even spot the launch of the missiles as any thermal/optical sensor would be blinded by the Sun. Building long-distance loitering missiles is already perfectly possible - check the British ALARM as the perfect example.

Except that underwater has totally different means of detection and vastly limited mobility. You can literally drive right over an enemy sub without noticing (unless you are employing active sonar, in which case your enemy finds out where you are before you do and you die), and given the ways in which detection works its a hell of a lot easier to fool missiles underwater than in space (plus you can make missiles in space near invisible, underwater its incredibly easy to figure out when a missile is headed your way). The only thing similar is the self-contained part, but above water navies are similarly self contained already anyway, and the 3D part, which is irrelevant considering the vast differences in locomotion and environment (you don't suddenly discover a sub coming from above you underwater like you can in space).

Air combat is the closest thing we have to space combat. That should be clear enough.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Hmm, the soundtrack at least sounds decent after a couple of tracks. But what's little confusing, is that Clint Mansell is only listed as the composer in two tracks (at least with my pirated copy). Wasn't it announced quite loudly, that he would be the main composer for the game?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Hmm, the soundtrack at least sounds decent after a couple of tracks. But what's little confusing, is that Clint Mansell is only listed as the composer in two tracks (at least with my pirated copy). Wasn't it announced quite loudly, that he would be the main composer for the game?

There are some OST leaks? Share! I am really interested.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
vastly limited mobility
Unless you come up with some magical inertial dampeners, they are very similar. Space ships would go fast, sure enough, but they need lot of time to accelerate to that velocity and after reaching "cruising speed" would need to spent plenty of delta-v in order to change their course. 7-8 Gs is probably the realistic maximum that human crew could sustain for more than few seconds and with the speeds that missiles can reach, that's not enough except in few exceptional cases. Movement in space is something you plan out long before and commit to - alterations are slow and costly.

You can literally drive right over an enemy sub without noticing
Nope. Propeller makes enough noise to be heard on passive sonar, the only question is distance. Just like a space ship could utilize thermal sensors to spot the engines of other space ships.

(unless you are employing active sonar, in which case your enemy finds out where you are before you do and you die)
Though if you have spotted the enemy on passives first, you can just use active to confirm firing solution and launch your torpedoes, then go quiet. Modern torpedoes are incredibly fast and are homing.

given the ways in which detection works its a hell of a lot easier to fool missiles underwater than in space
Torpedo homing relies on sonar signature but they can also be pre-programmed (to go to a certain location before trying to find a target) or be wire-guided. Target can always to try mask their sonar signature with a decoy but that's always iffy and no sub can carry that many of them to begin with. Missiles use either IR homing or a radar homing, both of which can be combined with guidance from launching platform. Target can spoof the former with flares and latter with chaff but modern missiles are quite good at filtering shit out - Russians, for example, managed to make 9K38 Igla in 1983 which was almost completely impervious to flares as it's impossible to make a flare that exactly mimics jet engine signature. My point being that it's fairly simple to fool missiles in both environments and probably easier in air.

underwater its incredibly easy to figure out when a missile is headed your way
Uh, no. Sonar is still the only sensor you have. At first you can only tell that there is a torpedo in water, it will take some time before it's clear where its headed. Towing an active sonar helps as you can make a quicker and more accurate triangulation. Yes, the order of magnitude is entirely different in space and missiles could be hidden better than underwater but then that's no different to air combat where missiles are even more visible as you can use a multitude of sensors to spot and track them - radar especially being highly accurate and fast.

3D part, which is irrelevant considering the vast differences in locomotion and environment (you don't suddenly discover a sub coming from above you underwater like you can in space).
Sorry again, that's entirely possible:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/SNR_PROP/snr_prop.htm
Sonar travels differently in different layers of the sea due to changes in temperature and saltiness. It's quiet possible to minimize propeller sounds (and thus visibility to enemy passive sonar) due travelling in a cold-water layer while towing a sonar buoy in the warm-water layer above or beneath. Furthermore, as sonar travels in a sphere, subs will never be spotted on the exactly same plane with each other even if they are in the same layer - so it's quite similar to air combat.

above water navies are similarly self contained already anyway
They are not. They do not need to worry about air and leaks are only a problem if they are below the water line. Even a proper hole in the hull is not an emergency thanks to water-tight compartments and good bulkheads. Submarine, on the other hand, is fucked if there's a hole or a leak, just like a space ship. Both have to worry about heat, about air, about consumables in a way that no other branch of the military ever has to.

Air combat is the closest thing we have to space combat. That should be clear enough.
But it's not, so it's no. Sorry bro. Aircraft are designed to be operated for a dozen hours or so, thanks to crew fatigue, fuel and ordnance. AWACS and JSTAR planes do long missions only because they carry two set of crews and get aerial refueling and even then they come down regularly for maintenance. Even with super high-tech engines, that sort of durability won't help you beyond Luna. Any sort of military operations beyond Luna would be fought with vessels closest to submarines and tactics closest to sub-to-sub warfare.

Space combat will resemble air combat the day we figure out how to manipulate gravity and get FTL engines, so we can counter all those nasty G-forces and manoeuvre like birds. Even the current model of air combat, where planes press the BVR missile attack home to guide their radar missiles home, instead of dog fighting with machine guns, is far too fluid to actually happen in space.

circ

Arcane
Retards moar like.

BioWare: Ok, we made this thing. It's got unbelievably bad animations, dialogue, writing, combat, interface, fucking everything. Will you please buy?

SHOCKWAY RIDER! OK

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So with the forums behing renamed, I guess this thread should be moved to general games with stats & levelling up discussion?

Since it's a third-person shooter, not a first-person shooter.

:troll:

meh

Educated
I can only see ME3 for an xbox and ps3 on orlydb... where's pc version?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Funny that. I recently had my XBAWKZ chipped by a mate.

Not to play cracked versions of mass erect (though I certainly could if I felt masochistic) but because a chipped 360 can run mame

:yeah:

BUBBLE BOBBLE ON HDTV OH GOD ITZ HEAVAN

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2

Not cracked yet, so no scene release.
Ah, the terrible piracy killing PC gaming, because people buy consoles to be the first to play pirated games.

Has been a while this way. Big console titles usually end up a week or two before the release on the web, whilst pc versions have to wait till release date, since they have started require some data from the devs.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Not cracked yet, so no scene release.
Ah, the terrible piracy killing PC gaming, because people buy consoles to be the first to play pirated games.

Has been a while this way. Big console titles usually end up a week or two before the release on the web, whilst pc versions have to wait till release date, since they have started require some data from the devs.
NO U R WRONG

PIRACY ONLY HAPPENS ON PC CONSOLES ARE BETTERER CUZ THERES NO WAY TO PIRATE FOR IT AND DEVELOLPERS CAN GET PAID FOR THEY'RE HARD WORK

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
One weekend goes by and the thread grew 20 pages, WTF
Wait till the game is actually released, then this thread will shift into overdrive (more like hyperdrive). You will need a goddamn Ferrari to catch up to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom