Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The biggest disappointments in your personal gaming history

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Well, the combat is complex, I won't deny. But it is also broken, so it is not enough. Besides, the writing and the quest designs are terrible.

Jazz_

Arcane
Same. :negative:But I actually kinda liked it. What pissed me off way more was Oblivion.

Black & White was glorious the first few hours, tossing people/trees/stones around, rearranging the landscape, it had a neat physics system, then you realize there aren't a lot of interesting/fun things to do other than that.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Same. :negative:But I actually kinda liked it. What pissed me off way more was Oblivion.

Black & White was glorious the first few hours, tossing people/trees/stones around, rearranging the landscape, it had a neat physics system, then you realize there aren't a lot of interesting/fun things to do other than that.
I dunno about you but I could entertain myself for hours by just throwing random people into the sea, roasting them with lightning and engineering other ghastly deaths.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Realising that Pokemon Snap is a fucking turret segment with a camera. It would have been shit as a mini-game, but a full release? Ridiculous. I can't believe how many people remember it fondly. I remember hearing about it and imaging roaming around Pokemon areas in 3d, laying bait to set up photos, stalking pokemon waiting for that perfect shot etc. and then I played it for 20 minutes at a friend's house and didn't even want to borrow it, never mind own it

newtmonkey

Arcane
I usually have a general idea of what I'm getting into so I am rarely disappointed with games. When I was a kid though I made a lot of dumb mistakes...

Donkey Kong (Colecovision)
Didn't realize that there were any game systems other than Atari, and couldn't understand why the game wouldn't fit into my Atari 2600. The screenshots on the back looked so good :( A lot of money to spend back then on something I could not even play.

Jaws (NES)
My mom got me and my nephew (long story short, my sister is much older than me and so her son ended up being around my age) some games for Christmas, and since she bought them blind she gave me first pick. The games were Legend of Zelda and Jaws. The cover for Zelda looked lame, so I went with the giant shark. What an awful Christmas that was. Still played the hell out of Jaws (out of desperation).

Ultima VI (C64)

One of the first games I ever bought with my own money as a kid, after enjoying the NES Ultima games and Ultima III on a friend's Atari ST.
The C64 port is an amazing effort, and I applaud the people who managed to get it done, but that game is basically unplayable on that system. You had to swap disks every time you entered and exited conversation, and with the C64 disk drive it was painful.
I spent a lot of money on this game, and the fact that I was stuck with it for the next 3 months or whatever really stung. I put up with it as much as possible and actually played it quite a bit, but I never really enjoyed it.

~From this point on, I really should have known better~

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
By this time I had lost interest in Japanese RPGs, and I knew the Final Fantasy series was just getting more and more heinous as time went on. The more room Japanese developers had to express themselves, the more awkward their pop culture proved to be to anyone not enamored with their cartoons. But I wanted something other than Demons Souls and the odd Muso game to play on my PS3, and man did those graphics in the previews look great.
Well, this game is irredeemable garbage. Environments are corridors, the battles play themselves (to a degree even greater than that of other Japanese RPGs), there is nothing to DO other than run down corridors and fight, the character designs are laughable, and the story is, like most modern Japanese pop culture, melodramatic to the point of unintentional comedy. Quite honestly the worst game I have ever played, and I have played some absolute garbage.

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC)
I legitimately enjoyed Dragon Age, but Dragon Age II was awful after the first 2 hours (and not even that good until then). I simply cannot get into this game at all. I've tried 3-4 times and I just immediately lose interest.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Tomm Hullett is my biggest disappointment in gaming history. He took everything I loved about Silent Hill and butchered it. My hatred for him is unrivaled by anything else on this earth.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Donkey Kong (Colecovision)
Didn't realize that there were any game systems other than Atari
Jaws (NES)
The games were Legend of Zelda and Jaws. The cover for Zelda looked lame, so I went with the giant shark.
I think we have found this thread's winner :salute:

So far, after 7 pages I come to the following conclusion:
-Sequels tend to suck
-The Kickstarter surge was mostly a dud
-Fuck Peter Molineux and fuck everyone who worked with him
Not quite breaking news.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

The sequel tried to address it by making it into a proper RTS with conquest objectives, and I don't know which one is worse.

ortucis

Prophet
I can give two good recent examples.

DeusEx: Mankind Divided and the new DOOM.

Mankind Divided was just "OK", same as the Human Revolution. Not a single interesting character and story is generic anyway (keeps the DX tradition alive). The new DOOM on the other hand is a shitty arena shooter even in single player. I never cared for DOOM since I was a Quake guy, so I am guessing this is what DOOM is all about. Shitty arena shooting. Also, it's slow as shit, I thought it was supposed to be "FAST". :))

Luckily, I bought both at recent Steam sale, else I would've been pissed.

On the other hand, bought Prison Architect and 7 Days to Die during sale as well.. addicted to both of them.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tomm Hullett is my biggest disappointment in gaming history. He took everything I loved about Silent Hill and butchered it. My hatred for him is unrivaled by anything else on this earth.

I get the feeling that he hates the franchise hehe.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah the DF-9 situation was seriously scummy shit. It's pretty shocking though that people still had the faith in Double Fine to pay for a game that wasn't feature complete, considering their past.

All that good will squandered

I wonder how different the Psychonauts sequel campaign would have went, had they delivered on DF-9. If I remember correctly it barely scraped past it's funding goal. Must have been a fucking wake-up call after the crazy success of the Broken Age KS

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Double Fine being run by a SanFran hipster, I doubt they'd learn anything from the Psychonauts figstarter.

Freddie

Savant
I recalled one more game from 2007, UFO: Extraterrestrials

It's a game I really wanted to like but I never played but the first mission. It's difficult to explain what didn't work with it. I recall that fugly graphics was non-issue, it was something else.

MoO3 - what a god damn train wreck. A sequel to a beloved classic made by someone that didn't actually like the gameplay of said classic.
PoE - the same bloody thing again and a game that killed my faith in the incline. Hŵrpa Dwrp indeed.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Realising that Pokemon Snap is a fucking turret segment with a camera. It would have been shit as a mini-game, but a full release? Ridiculous. I can't believe how many people remember it fondly. I remember hearing about it and imaging roaming around Pokemon areas in 3d, laying bait to set up photos, stalking pokemon waiting for that perfect shot etc. and then I played it for 20 minutes at a friend's house and didn't even want to borrow it, never mind own it

That game's so bad I couldn't even watch an LP of it without wanting to throw out my n64.

Direwolf

Arcane
I am only including games that I paid money for:

Oblivion
- So much fucking hype and such a shit game. That's how I discovered the Codex.
Unreal 2 - what a complete waste of a franchise.
Diablo 3 - fuck RMAH and fuck Blizzard.
Every Bohemia Interactive game after OFP - what a shitty studio they've become.
Every fucking MMO since 2006
Every fucking KickStarter so far

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Every Bohemia Interactive game after OFP - what a shitty studio they've become.
Every fucking KickStarter so far
You don't like Arma2 and 3? Divinity Original Sin was a kickstarter that I liked. Can't think of any others though.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Disciples III. Bought it on release day, loved Dis II. Came home, installed, and eh, wtf is this buggy shit? No AI, horrible sound bugs, uninspired design. Was more of a shocker than Fo3 (and i played Fo 2 and 1 before Fo3).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom