Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The biggest disappointments in your personal gaming history

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bard's Tale 3 was a major disappointment to me. I loved the Bard's Tale game back then, but not only did BT3 look much uglier than the predessors, it was also fatally bugged, the worst being that none of the monsters had any special attacks, so I quit after a few dungeon levels.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Pillows of Eternity, it was suppose to be great comeback of the classic rpgs, MCA having big part in it, and not to forget "We get to make the game we want to make without publisher meddling!", which resulted in horribly boring mechanics, boring story and utter mediocrity. When people makes something as "labor of love", you can see/feel it in the end product, even if the end product isn't that great, but with PoE you can see that the dev team made it "just because we have to".

thread hijacking!
how come nobody mentioned infinite biocock?
i didn't because i'm trying to completely erase it from memory (and i'd classify it on par with fahrenheit's level of retardation) but it's clearly one of the worst games ever. were you all already prepared for this crapocalypse?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
thread hijacking!
i didn't because i'm trying to completely erase it from memory (and i'd classify it on par with fahrenheit's level of retardation) but it's clearly one of the worst games ever. were you all already prepared for this crapocalypse?

Following on from two totally mediocre games, I doubt Bioshock Infinite disappointed any Codexers. The first one was the disappointment, after being touted as inspired by System Shock.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fable - thanks for disappointing 14 year old me, Peter, thanks really. You basically lied about everything in this game. I even made my parents buy a fucking XBOX just for it! I swore never to play anything from you ever again.

Then I went and bought Fable 2 on release day a few years later lmao :dance:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The only Fable I played was The Lost Chapters, which I thought was good for what it was (I came to it with zero hype) which one was that?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only Fable I played was The Lost Chapters, which I thought was good for what it was (I came to it with zero hype) which one was that?

lost chapters is fable 1 with more quests and story.

Fable IS good for what it is, it's just that I thought I was going to live in a medieval wonderland where I can do literally anything and all my actions matter, because that's what molyneux promised and I was young and naive ;) and then I got this... this farting simulator

thread hijacking!

Following on from two totally mediocre games, I doubt Bioshock Infinite disappointed any Codexers. The first one was the disappointment, after being touted as inspired by System Shock.
sure, but still retardation oven 9000, no gameplay found and all the journos sucking its dick altogether.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
it was suppose to be great comeback of the classic rpgs, MCA having big part in it, and not to forget "We get to make the game we want to make without publisher meddling!"

A sucker is born every minute, lol.

So true. You just need to check the thread on the Codex about this bullshit to find a bunch of deluded adults hyped about this game - and hey, with MCA having a part in it! LOLLOLOL Faggots never learn.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Street Fighter V - After playing III and IV for like ten years, a new edition arrives. It's new, I'm here from minute 0, let's learn it. The game turns out to barely work on my computer, it's boring at any skill level, and the online is downright unplayable. I think, okay, I'll suck it up and watch the pros like I always did. I couldn't even watch the Evo Top 8 finals this year, I kid you not. I haven't watched a whole tournament since the first couple after release. It's just so dull and lackluster, where players cannot express themselves and every match boils down to the same flowchart.

Demigod - Gas Powered Games and Stardock, new MOBA, it promises long term support and gameplay improvements over DOTA. It turns out to be technically a mess, horrible networking, and support ends shortly after release. I still have that turd sitting in a shelf.

Skyrim - After playing Nehrim I was excited to see what new game could come out of Bethesda. My favourite bit of Oblivion was making custom spells at the university, so I decided to go and start the same quest in Skyrim right away. The College of Winterhold questline is garbage, and the item you're given at the end of it is worse. Plus scaled to your level. I rushed the main quest and quit right after it because I found the whole experience pointless.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
it was suppose to be great comeback of the classic rpgs, MCA having big part in it, and not to forget "We get to make the game we want to make without publisher meddling!"

A sucker is born every minute, lol.

So true. You just need to check the thread on the Codex about this bullshit to find a bunch of deluded adults hyped about this game - and hey, with MCA having a part in it! LOLLOLOL Faggots never learn.
I am curious, what that "comeback of classic rpgs" mean? Shitty writting&plot and some challenging combat?

Turjan

Arcane
Hmm. I guess my entries will be boring at this point.

NWN.
The original campaign. After BG2 this was such a disappointment. No Aribeth could help with this. Dungeons that were nothing but attempts to feature certain enemy types from the Aurora toolset. So boring.

Oblivion. I guess it doesn't need any explanation. This was the larger disappointment. This was the worst example of level progression and level scaling I've ever seen. After Morrowind, this was such a downgrade, and I guess the point that I bought the Collector's Edition didn't help. I put that one into a "free for taking" box afterwards. At least I'll probably have some unknown companion in my misery now.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I am curious, what that "comeback of classic rpgs" mean? Shitty writting&plot and some challenging combat?

Well, players here are not picky. In my opinion, a new classic would need to have at least two or three of the following features:

(1) the interactive gameplay with skill checks of FO & FO2;

(2) a complex combat system like JA2;

(3) a robust resource management like RoA2;

(4) the reactivity of KoDP;

(5) the steep learning curve of Gothic;

(6) a good exploration like in Daggerfall;

(7) the text-adventures of Darklands;

(8) the 2D art of BG2 or at least a fixed camera;

(9) the dark atmosphere of MotB.

The overhyped cRPG kickstarters only provided (8) and that sucks.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Well, players here are not picky. In my opinion, a new classic would need to have at least two or three of the following features:

(1) the interactive gameplay with skill checks of FO & FO2;

(2) a complex combat system like JA2;

(3) a robust resource management like RoA2;

(4) the reactivity of KoDP;

(5) the steep learning curve of Gothic;

(6) a good exploration like in Daggerfall;

(7) the text-adventures of Darklands;

(8) the 2D art of BG2 or at least a fixed camera;

(9) the dark atmosphere of MotB.

The overhyped cRPG kickstarters only provided (8) and that sucks.
Original Sin ticks some of those boxes, doesn't it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom