Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Big Indie RPG List

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Heya, I'd love if you could add http://www.lordsofxulima.com/ to that list when you get a chance. We're in the middle of updating a lot of the articles/text on the website, and getting our forums ready. Thanks!

Luzur

Good Sir
what about The Quest?

its a Daggerfall/Ishar/Anvil of Dawn-esque RPG for PC (and pocket PC and iPhone) from the Hungarian developer Redshift:

We're a small Hungarian game developer company with two actual members: Sylon (graphics, design) and Elendil (programming). We're making games for the iPhone market since 2008 - after a succesful period of developing for the old PDA market (with Palm, Pocket PC and Symbian-based devices) between 2001 and 2007. Our favorite game types are fantasy and strategy.

doom-shot2.jpg

queen-shot1.jpg

http://www.redshift.hu/

i dunno if it has been mentioned before.

Last edited:

FireRabbit

Novice
Hey Jarl, how about adding Overlive to the list? It's an indie mobile RPG that plays like a non-linear CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure) gamebook, but with skill training and time management. 1000s of encounters, touch combat, and the ability to get the game with non-combat skills (engineering, stealth, computers, lockpicking, etc).

I think it's awesome, but I'm biased since I made it. It's in a zombie setting, yes, but the game goes a lot deeper than that and asks what you'd be willing to do to survive. Getting almost exclusively 5 star reviews on iTunes and Google Play.

http://overlivegame.com

Some pics:

overlive_screenshot_splash2.jpg

home.jpg

encounter.jpg

2combat.jpg

supplies2.jpg

ending.jpg

drae

Augur
Sacred Fire http://sacredfirerpg.com/

» the best parts of a role-playing game:

Character customization and development: choose your appearance, craft items and develop skills.

A non-linear story: multiple origin stories, branches and endings. Random events and companion quests.

Multiple playing styles: use strength, skill, cunning or empathy to solve a situation and raise your influence.

» the best parts of a turn-based strategy:

Building: all actions build your character and influence

Exploring strategic resources: meet and interact with characters to gain insights, learn secrets and win allies

Evolving opponents: nothing shows how well you are doing more than winning a clash with a rising opponent

» one thing is certain – war is coming:

The century long war with the Empire is escalating and the final conflict threatens to annihilate your way of life.

Can you build a personality strong enough to survive? And can you forge relationships worth living for?

» the rest is yours to tell:

Choose your side, your goals and what’s worth saving.

Will you use your influence to crush enemies, or to avoid conflicts and reach your goals without violence?

Will you gain renown with physical deeds, your heroic personality or by crafting amazing art?

Will you win people over with gifts, looks or empathy? Will you be able to change them to reach your goals?

story affects gameplay

All choices shape your personality, building your ability to control your emotions. Emotions affect all performance.

» gameplay affects story

All actions affect your renown and relations, building your influence. You need influence to change story events.

» all characters evolve

Each turn, all characters’ influence evolves. Find allies and a way to stay ahead of your opponents.

» adding narrative to combat

Relations and renown are affected by the way you fight: show courage and restrain or show fear and weakness.

Intimidate, bluff and study your opponent to find many ways how to avoid, win or end a fight without killing.

» adding challenge to dialogues

How you control your emotions affects your chances in all dialogue checks that unlock arguments and insights.

Spend your willpower wisely, as each turn gives your opponents time to develop and raise their influence.

» adding challenge to relationships

Characters’ relations, agendas and secrets are treated as a strategic resource you need to uncover.

SacredFireCharacterCreation.jpg

SacredFireCombat.jpg

SacredFireDialogue.jpg

gambrinous

Barely Literate
Hopefully I don't get too blasted for joining & then immediately posting about my own game :oops:, but I'd like to humbly suggest Guild of Dungeoneering

gameplay1.jpg

It's a dungeon exploration game where you don't get to control your hero directly. Instead you use the cards to expand the dungeon, place monsters & treasures. Then you watch him bumble around and (hopefully) go the way you wanted rather than directly into that cyclops. It's currently in development but you can play the alpha version here as well as see more screens, the trailer and gameplay video:
http://gambrinous.com/games/dungeoneering/

The RPG side of the game will be explored mostly via the 'guild', where after dungeon runs (even gloriously unsuccessful ones) you expand your guild with new rooms that add useful cards to your decks or let you hire better hero classes.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hopefully I don't get too blasted for joining & then immediately posting about my own game :oops:, but I'd like to humbly suggest Guild of Dungeoneering
tbh your prototype plays like a singleplayer boardgame more fitting for the gazebo.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Hi RPG Codex,

I have my own indie RPG to announce. Enjoy!

Geoff

Announcing Temple of the Abyssal Winds

Merry Prankster Games announces development of Temple of the Abyssal Winds, a classic-style role-playing game for iPad and Windows.

"Twenty years ago, the demoness Urgoroth rose to power from the depths of the Temple of the Abyssal Winds. She was defeated, but your parents were lost in the conflict. Your aunt and uncle have raised you in the small village of Tomm's Crossing, where life has been mostly peaceful. Until now…"

So begins the classic-style role-playing game Temple of the Abyssal Winds. Features:
  • Epic fantasy adventure.
  • Single player, controlling a band of adventurers.
  • Real-time pauseable combat for realism and control.
  • A combination of open-ended exploration and strong story driven plot.
  • Tactically challenging encounters featuring many different strategies.
  • Deep, complex role-playing system, inspired by popular paper-and-pencil role playing games.
  • Dozens of quests, enemies, and monsters to tackle.
  • Build the character you want to - dozens of skills and powers, and hundreds of spells and items.
Try the first chapter for free, which includes a full adventure and conclusion. If you like what you see, continue on to the following five chapters. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!

Coming in 2014 for iPad and Windows. Visit the Temple of the Abyssal Winds website for more information: http://www.prankster.com/totaw

Merry Prankster Games is a one-man band indie development studio, started in 1995 making the play-by-email game Atlantis. For more information about Merry Prankster Games visit: http://www.prankster.com

Contact info: totaw@prankster.com

Dorateen

Arcane
geoffdunbar You've got a personalized Main Character adventure hook, "Your parents... Your aunt and uncle", but then the bullet points mention the player controlling a band of adventurers.

Does your game allow full party creation, and can I play a dwarf? If this turns out to be a classic dungeon romp, would follow with interest.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
sounds a lot like a temple of elemental evil rip-off. you even have the four elements in the logo, ffs.
ToEE is absolutely an inspiration (the PnP game; I've never played the Troika version), especially in terms of overall structure. However, all the details are my own creation. I wouldn't say "rip-off", personally.

Geoff

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
geoffdunbar You've got a personalized Main Character adventure hook, "Your parents... Your aunt and uncle", but then the bullet points mention the player controlling a band of adventurers.

Does your game allow full party creation, and can I play a dwarf? If this turns out to be a classic dungeon romp, would follow with interest.
Sorry to disappoint: You create the main character, and fill your party out with other characters you meet in game, and you cannot play a dwarf.

Both of these are for plot-related reasons... the main character needs to be a human (or I would have to recreate a bunch of content for various races). And the other party members are a source of interaction and sub-quests that would be difficult with player-created characters. Though that might be an interesting advanced option...

In any case, there is dungeon romping, though I should emphasize that combat is more tactical than action.

Geoff

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ToEE is absolutely an inspiration, especially in terms of overall structure. However, all the details are my own creation. I wouldn't say "rip-off", personally.
well, duh, it's a pretty obvious inspiration for your overall structure, even your logo for the game, yet you do not mention it once in your pitch or on your webpage. that's pretty dishonest and does look like a rip-off.

Romascu

Novice
Hey, anyone know when was the last update of the list?

I'm looking to start a play list of (good) indie rpg's.

I see the majority of the titles posted here are not included on the list.

Any particular reqs for including (released) games? Just asking to know if the filtering criteria is similar to mine(in order): good writing and dialogue, quality/creative quests , good characters , replay value and c&C, story. I'm versatile gameplay-wise.

So far only PtD and Teudogar qualify (for me).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't updated this list in over a year; can do it in the near future when I'm less busy, or some other mod can edit my OP if he wants to.

anakin57

Barely Literate
out of the released which ones are the best - any recommendations?

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer

snip

(See full post above The Big Indie RPG List)

iPad Beta Testers needed!

Temple of the Abyssal Winds is ready to go for iPad, and I just need a few intrepid beta-testers to go through and find the last few bugs. Help out, and enjoy a classic-style RPG at the same time!

If you want to beta-test, you need an iPad. I'll give more instructions once I have my testers lined up, but mainly, I'm looking for testers to simply play the game, and let me know of any issues. For beta testers, if you provide helpful feedback or bug reports, I will list you in the game credits, and give free access to chapters 2-6 of the game.

If you are interested in testing, the best way to let me know is to drop an email at mailto:totaw@prankster.com

Thanks for your support,
Geoff Dunbar, Merry Prankster Games

OP can be better, with a short 2-3 line description of each entry + basic keywords and maybe also thumbnails instead of a cold dead list without any hints.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer

snip

(See full post above The Big Indie RPG List)

Windows Beta Testers Needed

Temple of the Abyssal Winds is ready to go for Windows, and I just need a few intrepid beta-testers to go through and find the last few bugs. Help out, and enjoy a classic-style RPG at the same time!

I'll give more instructions once I have my testers lined up, but mainly, I'm looking for testers to simply play the game, and let me know of any issues. For beta testers, if you provide helpful feedback or bug reports, I will list you in the game credits, and give free access to chapters 2-6 of the game.

If you are interested in testing, the best way to let me know is to drop an email at mailto:totaw@prankster.com

Thanks for your support,
Geoff Dunbar, Merry Prankster Games

naossano

Cipher
The first post need a hell of an update. Some of these project are officiallly abandoned while many good ones aren't on the list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom