Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Big Indie RPG List

GaemzDood

Educated
Berserker's Quest VI (I to V don't exist) is a freeware "action" (don't let that action part get to you) RPG using the Quake 1 engine. Also, Dink Smallwood (you read that right) is a pretty solid lighthearted action RPG; this guy has a channel that pretty much covers the game http://www.youtube.com/user/DinkSmallwoodPT/videos.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Space Shock

Keywords: Dungeon Crawler, Space, Sci-fi

Link#1: Steam (Greenlight)
Link#2: IndieDB

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Titan: Dawn

Keywords: RPG, Action, 3D Isometric, Future

Titan: Dawn is a nostalgic blend of classic RPG gameplay and exciting, fast paced action, creating a player experience like those found in our favorite games of old. Presented in a 3D isometric world, the game draws on essential elements from some of the greatest games of the past and enforces the importance of quality storytelling and engaging participation.

The story of Titan: Dawn is set hundreds of years after humanity has achieved the ability of deep space exploration and colonization... [click to continue reading]
Link#1: Official Website
Link#2: IndieDB

CraterMarket.jpg
RefineryDepth.jpg

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I'll add my very own, very old school CRPG series, Realms of Quest for the Commodore VIC-20 to this thread.

Screenshots and videos:

Realms of Quest I (1991) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYCgRE6LDM

Realms of Quest II (2004) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-estBHl3vA

Realms of Quest III (2009) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMBlCaDlD8

roq_02.jpg

The game can actually be purchased with a jewel case and 36 page manual at http://www.binaryzone.org (also includes the first 2 games in the trilogy)

This was also featured and discussed here on the codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=6259

Realms of Quest IV (2013) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTv_q8S3dig&feature=youtu.be

You can purchase this game from Psytronik here: http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87_95&products_id=631

This release also includes Anniversary Editions of Realms of Quest I & II as well as Ultimate Quest: Catacomb.

Ultimate Quest: Catacomb (1989)

Me and a friend in high school started programming a computer role playing game for the C64 in 1988. It was ambitious for us at the time; it features a city map, wilderness areas and a dungeon to explore. By mid-1989, while we we had done most of the elements featured in the game that you see here, they were quite disjointed and it was full of bugs. So we abandoned it in a semi-finished state. 24 years after the project had been abandoned, I decided to finally finish it so that it can be part of the official Psytronik release package, Realms of Quest IV (for the VIC-20).

Although it's not officially part of the Realms of Quest series (and it's for a different computer), I include it here because the game font and even the logo's style would be used in RoQ.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'd sooner delete my game and every related file than release something this poorly coded. No, I don't mean the art style, I mean the fucking ray of frost that originates from behind the character somewhere. How hard would it be to set its origin a couple cm to the left? FFS

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Indies already released:
Spiderweb Software Games (Geneforge series, Exile series, Avernum series, Nethergate)
Eschalon Book 1
Depths of Peril
Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome
Prelude to Darkness
UnReal World
Kivi's Underworld
Knights of The Chalice
Undercroft
King of Dragon Pass
Eschalon: Book 2
Winter Voices
Din's Curse

If you know of any indie RPGs that are not in the list, post them in this thread and I'm gonna update the list.

The Aethra Chronicles: Volume One: Celystra's Bane

And how about the Yendorian Tales trilogy and the Tom Proudfoot games (Nahlak, Natuk)?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm looking for a game where I can't recall the name:
I saw it once on the forums, and I even was on their website. It is a first person party- and tile-based RPG (medieval). The interface is mostly black in color. It looks similar to the interface of "Elementium", but much cleaner. The selection of the combat actions happens via selecting text options on the bottom of the screen. You don't see portraits. Part of the black interface shows the game environment, where you can move tilebased. Again, what I recall is the clean black interface and fonts. Enemies and buildling interiors are looking handdrawn, but very nice and not cartoony. The game is not so old (2010 or so), mostly build by a single person I believe.
I recall, that there even was a demo available.

Anyone recall it?

EDIT: Hah, found it! It's "Underworld" from 'Older Bytes'. And the sequel is "Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign"

Last edited:

r3jonwah85

Savant
Shameless self-promotion, but here is my game Crypts of Avaritia:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/crypts-of-avaritia

Crypts of Avaritia is a combination of randomly generated dungeons together with a first person view with gameplay similar to Heretic/Hexen combined with Dungeon Hack, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic, Daggerfall, Arena and other games in the same genre.

And the discsussion thread (mostly a monologue but hey, I discuss with myself at least!):
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...varitia-design-discussion-and-feedback.86069/

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Looks promising. But will it have turn-based combat? Personally, I cannot stand real-time action RPG's. It becomes too much like a wannabe shooter.

r3jonwah85

Savant
Looks promising. But will it have turn-based combat? Personally, I cannot stand real-time action RPG's. It becomes too much like a wannabe shooter.

Thanks! Well, that is kind of the major undecided mechanism in the game right now. I want to make all system mostly depending on stats but also have some skill required by the player, for example lock-picking is not based purely on stats, you do have to input commands in the correct order and jumping lenght/height does increase with higher stats but the player must still jump with correct timing to cross a pit etc. Using a turn-based combat system does in my point of view leans more towards a stat based outcome (unless you implement certain weaknesses on enemies that the player must discover, add a variety of defensive spells and non-combat spells to cast on the enemy such as confusing and lower their morale to make it tactical AND stat based), expecially when you are doing single-player.

Another problem (this is actually the major factor) is the fact that co-op is a feature I would like to have (even though it is a pain in the ass coding wise for me). In a multiplayer game where the players can be at different parts of the map a turn based option is not that easy to implement. But I do have an idea to solve that:

When the player encounters an enemy, a magical barrier is created around them both. Inside the barrier every action is turn based or timer based (when you do an action, e.g. walk, cast magic, jump etc, your timer decreases, once zero the turn is passed on to the next player/enemy in the magical shield, does seem impossible to have local timescale in Unity though...). If the other player is outside this barrier he can do no harm to anything inside this barrier (otherwise one player could be inside the barrier and the other could spam magic from the outside). The same goes for enemies, they must me inside to do any effect on the players. Of course players/enemies can go in and out of the barrier, this will for example make running away from an enemy that is overpowering you a feasable option.

I will prototype and test the mentioned combat system since I do want a tactical, meaningful combat system. But I will have to evaluate the system and see how it fits the game as a whole.

A third thing is that the focus of the game is not really on combat (for example XP won't be given for killing enemies, in fact there is no XP system, only magical skill points that are spread around the underworld), unless you really want to. It will be like in the original Deus Ex, you can force it into playing like a pure FPS, but it is not really satisfying and slightly clunky. In that context I think that a real-time combat system might fit better for the type of player that wants to take on every enemy and problem straight on with brute force.

That's a long unclear answer, but I hope it explains my intentions at least.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Oh, and I hate multiplayer also ;) but I guess there are enough people who may like it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just keep it real-time, imo, especially if your game isn't focused on tactical combat. The barrier thing sounds a bit... weird. ;)

with gameplay similar to Heretic/Hexen combined with Dungeon Hack, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic, Daggerfall, Arena and other games in the same genre.

Plus this is a good list of games that have (mostly) been real-time; don't listen to turn-based fanatics. :P

r3jonwah85

Savant
Oh, and I hate multiplayer also ;) but I guess there are enough people who may like it.

Hehe, then I guess there is no pleasing you :cool: Though the game will be exactly the same i single-player (except some balancing stuff), so multiplayer is completely optional.

Just keep it real-time, imo, especially if your game isn't focused on tactical combat. The barrier thing sounds a bit... weird. ;)

with gameplay similar to Heretic/Hexen combined with Dungeon Hack, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic, Daggerfall, Arena and other games in the same genre.

Plus this is a good list of games that have (mostly) been real-time; don't listen to turn-based fanatics. :P

Yeah I do agree that the idea is a bit out there, like I said I will probably try out a crude prototype to see how it feels, but the sum of all other game elements and the goal of satisfying combat will probably point in the direction of using real-time through and through. Looking at those games the real-time combat fits the gameplay although it is a bit clunky (especially melee), but I think that adds to the experience and also puts more weight on the player stats (and thereby choices) instead of mouse clicking skills and strafing ability.

Thanks for the feedback guys, when you sit with a project all by yourself it is hard to always see things clear, all the people I know in real life frowns upon hearing the words RPG or gaming, it is lonely being a "nerd":cool:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Really, the problem of many a project has been not having their priorities straight. If you want to emulate Hexen, Arena and Ultima Underworld, do it!

Just make sure your puzzles and dungeon generation algorithms are good enough :P

(I'm saying that as a huge fan of puzzle-focused first person RPGs who will certainly buy your game if it's ever released.)

r3jonwah85

Savant
Really, the problem of many a project has been not having their priorities straight. If you want to emulate Hexen, Arena and Ultima Underworld, do it!

Just make sure your puzzles and dungeon generation algorithms are good enough :P

(I'm saying that as a huge fan of puzzle-focused first person RPGs who will certainly buy your game if it's ever released.)

I hear you, guess that is what happened to Space Shock for example...

Will do, even though there strictly isn't any generation algorithms (more a randomization algorithm) since I am using tiles of 100 x 100 meters ,which are handmade for better detail, and can connect on all four sides, rotating and connecting averything randomly creates the dungeon. I have sketches of about 100-150 tiles (with added random elements) and then you can easily create transport tiles (that are mostly pathways without any important environment interaction, will be filled with traps and enemies though) to achieve a nice variety and somewhat large dungeons (without much optimization I can have dungeons that are 2 x 2 km^2 running smoothly, hopefully this will increase with some better coding, loading on demand and such).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom