Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Big Indie RPG List

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Except for the obvious weeabo faggotry, Bastion looks very nice. Graphically.

Stig

Novice
The Depths of Peril successor Din's Curse is still missing. It's one of them pesky action RPGs, but a rather interesting one with a strong emphasis on randomization.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stig said:
The Depths of Peril successor Din's Curse is still missing. It's one of them pesky action RPGs, but a rather interesting one with a strong emphasis on randomization.

Added. Also added that Winter Voices thingie some other Codexer made a thread about.

Klaz

Scholar
Fallenwood is pretty much an attempt at making a Western-style open-ended RPG with the freeware RPG Maker engine.

It doesn't work that well since the engine clearly isn't intended for that kind of game, but it's still fun for a while.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Remove Cyclopean from this list. The less we read about it, the less the pain. :(

themadhatter

Novice
Any chance of the list being updated?
Just off the top of my head Cyclopean is dead, DoubleBear's game is Dead State and I'm certain the others have had some changes by now...

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Holyspirit

"Holyspirit is a 2D isometric hack'n'slash game. An hack'n'Slash is an action role playing game, like Diablo. You play a Holyspirit, which is an old corrupted soul who's been enlisted in God's army. You must redeem the country from the evil who's been unleashed against the living ones. The game is developped in C++, with the SFML."

SkeleTony

Augur
Noddy said:
Natuk for completed maybe?

http://www.proudft.com/natuk.html

Edit : And helheron thinking about it, although i have no idea if that was indie or not

Helherron was as indie as a game could possibly get. unfortunately the last version(2.04) had a shit ton of bugs(in the windows version) and Antii went off to become a Buddhist monk. I keep meaning to post the last version to my web site(the 2.03 version, which is more stable but lacks the new features of 2.04) is easier to find. The Linux version of 2.04 maybe impossible now for all i know.

Petrell

Educated
Driftmoon

Driftmoon is an adventure-oriented roleplaying game, with focus on storytelling, exploring and quests. In Driftmoon there are always plenty of things to find and people to meet, and instead of killing all of your enemies, you can sometimes talk your way through.

Features:
  • » Filled with personality, wit and goodwill!
    » Explore the dungeons, wilderness and villages of Driftmoon, you never know what you might discover!
    » You can talk with the people you meet. You may make new friends, you may find quests to solve, or you may encounter a hostile cultist of Ixal.
    » Driftmoon comes with the full editor tools used to create the game. We have our own easy scripting language, a great level editor, animation tools, the complete set!
    » You can drag things around!
    » You only need one hand to play! (Any one handed players out there?)
    » Memorable and melodic music by the talented Gareth Meek.

Driftmoon is available for preorder for €11.99.

Preordering will get you the current version downloadable right away, and access to regular updates until the game is finished. You can pay with credit card or Paypal. You will receive an e-mail containing your personal license key that can be used to download all further Driftmoon versions.

System Requirements:
  • » Windows XP or newer
    » The game has been tested to run on Wine in Linux, and on Crossover Games on OS X.
Game is being developed by finnish veteran game developer Ville Mönkkönen (previous work include Bikez II, The Forge, Wazzal, Notrium and Magebane 2: Trinity among others) along with his wife, Anne Mönkkönen. Last December, Ville received the €50.000 (~$66.000) Sammon Tekijät Award for creativity and innovation from Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.

Gameplay preview video

Discuss about the game here

zeitgeist

Magister
Petrell said:
Last December, Ville received the €50.000 (~$66.000) Sammon Tekijät Award for creativity and innovation from Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.
What was the game's budget?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
There's also Swords and Sorcery Underworld...

Just sayin' :)

For those that enjoyed Might & Magic II, primarily, or other blobbers of the same type.

Strannik

Novice
SkeleTony said:
Helherron was as indie as a game could possibly get. unfortunately the last version(2.04) had a shit ton of bugs(in the windows version) and Antii went off to become a Buddhist monk. I keep meaning to post the last version to my web site(the 2.03 version, which is more stable but lacks the new features of 2.04) is easier to find. The Linux version of 2.04 maybe impossible now for all i know.

No, I've managed to locate 2.04 Helherron Linux version. I can send it to you if you like. I am going to try to make it work now under Ubuntu.

Unfortunately what is impossible to find is any help source for for Helherron. :( If you, or anybody else who have played this , could help me with this game by answering few question that would be awesome.

Here is the thread with my questions at the end:

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3583&start=50

SkeleTony

Augur
Strannik said:
SkeleTony said:

No, I've managed to locate 2.04 Helherron Linux version. I can send it to you if you like. I am going to try to make it work now under Ubuntu.

Unfortunately what is impossible to find is any help source for for Helherron. :( If you, or anybody else who have played this , could help me with this game by answering few question that would be awesome.

That WOULD be cool to have(the Linux version) as I may be setting up a Linux OS on a future PC here.

If you want to(and can) send it to me my email is:

captain_skeptic(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

replace"(AT) with the '@' and the "(DOT)" with the '.' of course.

Strannik

Novice
SkeleTony said:
Strannik said:
SkeleTony said:

That WOULD be cool to have(the Linux version) as I may be setting up a Linux OS on a future PC here.

If you want to(and can) send it to me my email is:

captain_skeptic(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

replace"(AT) with the '@' and the "(DOT)" with the '.' of course.

Sure, done. Again, thanks a lot for your help and your answers on the Helherron's thread SkeleTony, it is greatly appreciated.

jancobblepot

Educated
What about "Ultima V - Lazarus"?
Or maybe "Ultima IV Part 2: Dude, Where's My Avatar?"...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom